• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shamineau & alexander lakes

Fished Sham on Saturday night from 4:30-9:00 and again Sunday morning from 7:30-12:00. Went out on the east end and ended up with one walleye(10-11") Saturday night, and some small sunnies on Sunday morning. Fished anywhere between 15 and 29 f.o.w. Used minnows, minnow heads, gulp alive pink maggots on Diamond jigs and plain hooks. The walleye came on the plain hook, and the sunnies came on #14 diamond jigs in white and black.

I also fished the LABA contest and managed to put 5 perch on the ice. All small enough that I didnt' win anything.

Travis

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phunnyfarm

• motley man

• Dances with Walleye

• Lip_Ripper Guy

I am headed to Shamineau on Sat. Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the Crappies have been biting and how deep a guy might look for them. Is it stricly a night bite or can you get them during the day?

Thanks to all who reply.

Been on the lake 5 weekends this year and haven't caught any, or talked to anyone that has. I think they probably are swimming around in the main basin, but it could be tough to pinpoint them until closer to ice out.

If anyone's got an Alex report this week, that would be awesome. I'm headed up to the cabin this week, and I am very curious to hear how this week's mix of weather is going to affect the ice/slush conditions.

Also, anyone been able to catch a nort on a tip up out there this year?! If you have any suggestions on bait choice and/or "bottom vs top" of the water column (as far as setting depth of bait), I could sure use the help! I'm in an awful slump this year, and can't crack the code.

Thanks fellas!

If anyone's got an Alex report this week, that would be awesome. I'm headed up to the cabin this week, and I am very curious to hear how this week's mix of weather is going to affect the ice/slush conditions.

Also, anyone been able to catch a nort on a tip up out there this year?! If you have any suggestions on bait choice and/or "bottom vs top" of the water column (as far as setting depth of bait), I could sure use the help! I'm in an awful slump this year, and can't crack the code.

Thanks fellas!

I was up this past weekend... And as I understand it from past convo's we've had... I'm just South East of your cabin...

Roads were on the way to being snotty... They've got to be skating rink by now...

Slush problem (Before this storm) was non-existant...

Snow had reduced under the Feb Sun... And with 4 wheel drive, most of the lake appeared accessible.

Bite is still way bad.

If you go up shallow rocks... You'll find perch that require a ton of sorting to scratch a meal...

I saw a lot of people re-locating to the deep water for eyes.

How's the ice on shamineau & alexander doing, I took my house off the day it stared raining. I plan to put it back when things freeze up a little, hope we get some cold and snow. I know that sound good but that's what we live here for. Isn't it?????????? Hope nobody's houses are froze down. Get in touch if you need help.

How's the ice on shamineau & alexander doing, I took my house off the day it stared raining. I plan to put it back when things freeze up a little, hope we get some cold and snow. I know that sound good but that's what we live here for. Isn't it?????????? Hope nobody's houses are froze down. Get in touch if you need help.

Didn't check Sham...

Alex was just snotty...

The tough bite is the bigger problem.

Hopefully as this rain water finds it's way down into the lake, the extra DO will pick things up.

As for Froze down...

Can't possibly be worse than my first move of the season...

3 inches of slush on the skirting... Frozen hard as a rock... 5 inches of slush around the tires, frozen hard as a rock...

Almost 3 hours of chiseling, 4-Low, and the love of Jesus to get it free.

So a little bit of frozen rain water... Pfft... No problem compared to that!

I was out on both Alex and Shamineau on Fri. The Alex road from the west end is rough with a few break throughs into 3-4 in of water. The main lake seems good and is glass smooth. Shamineau is similar from the east end, but I almost didn't get out right by the access due to the break-throughs. If you are driving you need a good 4 wheel drive truck.

I agree with Shammy....ice on the middle of the lake is in great shape. It's creeking and cracking a lot, but it's mainly the white ice on top that's making all the noise.

Still no fish though!

Fishing is slow - Small sunnies - 20 sightings of MUSKIES - 2 keeper northerns - 1 30" & 1 26" released - No walleyes - but it is sure nice weather to be out on the ice. West end of lake shamineau

• 2 weeks later...

bite picking up on fish trap or alex yet

I was out on Alex this past weekend... Pulled the fish house off, and chose to wet a line for a last over night stay...

Meh...

Not bite was dead cold...

There are a lot of 2008 YOY small perch swimming in clouds... And I think it's got the fish gorged up and dis-interested in our measly offerings.

I saw this on Mille Lacs the last 2 years... And it seems to take about 2 years to run it's course... And it's worst Coming up to the spawn.

how much snow is on alex would you be able to get around in the west bay with 2 wheel drive and how much ice is there in the bay any info would be great. going up for the day to check on the cabin and do a little fishing

I was out there tuesday, I needed four wheel but I was pulling a trailer. After today it shouldn't be too bad getting around with two wheel. There is still a good two feet of ice in the bay.

how much snow is on alex would you be able to get around in the west bay with 2 wheel drive and how much ice is there in the bay any info would be great. going up for the day to check on the cabin and do a little fishing

Snow in the bay as of last weekend was about 8-10 inches...

At this point in the season I wouldn't go 2 wheel...

I saw a guy with 2 wheel getting pretty hosed and had to have his buddy push him around to get started... And then balls out back to the access... And let me tell you there's some bad high spots of ice, and old windrows that I hit driving 20, that I wouldn't want to be hitting faster than that!

The other thing that gives a solid thumbs down to 2 wheel... Is all this warmth we've had...

While I haven't seen it... Dollars to doughnuts says that access is going to be sloppy, and has "Get stuck in 2 wheel" written all over it.

However...

In December... I always park in the access and walk it out dragging a sled behind me... All the way out to the narrows... No problem... So I'd go that route.

Any reports on the fishing on Shamineau or Alexander. It's going to be a great week to get out.

Im headed up to the cabin on shamineau on thursday! Weather should be really nice and im hoping for some good fishing!! Stop by and say hi if ur on the ice, fish trap yukon with black f6 snowmobile!

Hows the lakes looking up there? Is snowmobile still an option on the lakes, or is all the snow gone, im guessing most of it is with this really warm spell.

all the snow is gone and alot of water on the ice, but the fish are biting if you want to stand in 2 - 6 inches of water.

Snow is gone, and there was lots of water on the ice Sunday evening, but by Monday morning it looked to have all drained. We were still driving Sunday night, but it may be a bit risky for this coming weekend.

Quite a few trucks drove on Shamineau last weekend and there was still 36" of ice everywhere. I would imagine that after the rain the area is probably not safe for driving anymore, but walking/atv's should still be "ok".

• 2 weeks later...

What are the odds of a guy safely sitting on a bucket on Alex this weekend?! I haven't been up since Feb.

I was on Shamineau last weekend and there was 24-30" of solid ice everywhere I drilled. Only about the first 20' or so were slushy, but no problems at all. Should be ok for awhile.