• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

usmtsrocks

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports

usmtsrocks

Anyone having any luck with bluegills up there? Havent been up there for a year or 2 just curious if theres any size or if theres any sunfish action on the Glenwood end.

LandDr

Head to the west end of Crappie Town...that is where we are seeing the most and biggest sunfish. You can also pick up some crappie, bass, walleye and pike there as well. 14ft. of water. I have a map in the bait store if you need one.

Fish On!

honda4life

He sent us out there... WE CAUGHT FISH!! Good size sunnies too. Driving from the metro to waska sunday again....same spot.....gonna catch fish.

LandDr

Similar reports from other people coming back in. Guys with cameras are also seeing some crappie and walleye down there as well...make sure to put a shiner down on a tip-up.

We caught 3 walleyes off the beach last night...two 15s and a 17. Fun time!

Fish On!!

koonie

Will I be able to get to crappie town without 4 wheel drive?

stellarfisher

Hey Landr.

Looking to drive that way early on Sunday morning. Is everyone driving on? Let me know and Ill be on my way. Thanks.

Brfive

Koonie I was there today, and if you use the resort access just past the DNR you should be fine. Brett and I fished from 1 to 5 pm and got 1 northern and 2 SMALL sunnies, but we don't have your expertise !!

koonie

A guy I work with took his son out and they brought home 39 nice sunfish. He's leaving me his gps for tomorrow. $50 and I'll take you with. : )

Brfive

You've taken enough of my money !! Going to in-laws tomorrow anyway. Let me know how you do.

koonie

Will do. Is the resort road you used from Hunts.

Going up monday and new years day if you are interested. Let me know.

LandDr

Koonie

You can use any access with an ATV. The Lakeside access heaved up a little so that one is not good for vehicles right now but ATVs would be just fine. DNR landing would also be ok for ATVs going off the south side...I have not looked at the DNR boat ramp lately. Hunts Resort has a nice access for vehicles and ATVs and costs $2. Glenwood Beach is good for vehicles and ATVs...it is a longer drive to Crappie Town from the beach but the snow has compacted down and hardened up so there should be no problems getting around now. A lot of roads and trails now as well.

Brfive...you were in the wrong spot! (smile) Almost 100% of the report backs have reported an intense sunfish bite with about 1 out of 4 or 5 being a really nice sunny with close to our a limit of crappies. I encourage everyone to try to stay with 10 inches or more with the crappies and throw anything smaller back. There are no slot limits on Waska but that is what I would like to encourage.

Fish On!!

goose89

I have a personal slot for crappies of 10-12"'s. I've heard other crappie fisherman suggest 9-11, esp. on heavily pressured lakes, like Waska. I'd encourage returning some of the mature breed stock if limits of them are being caught. Similar to the often mentioned and practiced 15-20" slot on walleys. "Slots" have a minimum and maximum, more in line with selective harvest theory. Just my opinion.

Brfive

We did use the Hunt's access. We were sseeing fish on the locator, just weren't getting bites. We'll see what's up this week Koonie, maybe I'l see you up there.

goose89

Br5,

Take that 30# dacron off your rod and use 2# mono!! lol. Just kidding!! You take your V's out on the ice?? I haven't yet, but would like to, just to cold and don't have enough room. Good luck.

SpitnArgueDuckClub*

Man I love this site, usefull honest information. Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will stay and research some more, I am planning a winter weekend getaway with my dad and brothers. Thanks again for everyone's help. Kevin.

Mellonhead

Fished 7 hours 12/26. 1 x W19" 6 x SF

" 20 hours 12/27 2 x W15"&18" 4 x C10"-11" 4 x Small Pike

Lots of Sunfish biting on waxworms, but you have to sort. Most biters seem to be during daylight.

basssmasher*

Honda, every yr there are a LOT of perms on the Glenwood end most following a bar that runs east to west, and another seperate group to the south of there, I have managed to find my way away from the crowds and traffic, and still fish about the same depth of water and have done just fine catching almost everything Waska has to offer.. but the rule here for our future generations is selective harvest.. Go ahead and tell whoever you want about the lake, especially if it means getting kids involved with fishing.. we are all adults and to see that some places such as this find people being "greedy" by thinking "their lake" is subject to overharvest is kind if frighteneign as to our mentality.. i understand the thought process behind it all. but if we use simple COMMON SENSE, there is no reason to believe that waska will be fished out in the near future. Just my 2 cents worth

LandDr

The Beach...probably a few more houses than usual but that is where a lot of people start with the early ice walleye bite. I have not really reported on it so I doubt that MY fishing reports have anything to do with it. The bite was very good to start but has slowed to a steady catch of maybe 3 or 4 fish a night...that is very typical. I would expect those houses to start spreading out as they usually do.

Lakside...not nearly as many houses out in front of Lakeside as there usually are.

Crappie Town...even though you might think there are a lot of houses in Crappie Town, I would guess that it is only 50% of what it usually is.

Bottle Bay...a lot of houses in Bottle Bay and probably close to what it usually is or slightly less. I have not made any reports on Bottle Bay yet I would guess there are twice as many houses in Bottle Bay as there are in Crappie Town.

For the people that do not fish Minnewaska much or where out there a few days ago and came back again, this might put it in perspective.

Also, probably even more, weather has played a VERY BIG part. We had early ice and good ice which got some houses out. Then we got hit with a lot of snow and then again. That put a hold on a lot of houses being put out. With the roads and trails being developed more, Friday, Saturday and Sunday were the days to get their houses out. That is why some people seen such an increase in houses...finally could get out there, could start using vehicles to pull houses versus ATVs...AND...it is over a holiday.

Keep in mind that Minnewaska has around 600 to 700 houses on it each year.

My parents also did not get as many sunfish on Sunday as they did on Friday. However, they said they were all over the camera...just not biting. That is why it is called "fishing" and not "catching".

As Bassmasher said...there is a whole lake out there. No one is even touching all of the cabbage patches along the ENTIRE south side of the lake where there are HUGE sunfish and crappie. That is a 7 MILE long bed of great fishing...just hard to get to in the winter and no accesses.

Fish On!

carpshooterdeluxe

my observation from being on the lake friday and saturday:

not as many houses out as during a typical year. very few on the starbuck side compared to previous winters. less houses out infront of my buddies cabin in glenwood. more houses out near a place we call "the spot." we have an area marked on gps that we put 2-4 houses on from time to time depending on who's home. this year was the first time ever somebody else was ontop of that spot. too bad its only a starting point, and for them that meant sitting on a thick weed bed (lower water this year?) and for us moving around till we found what we were looking for in the area on the vex and camera. many of the guys we talked to were just aimlessly moving around their wheel houses, looking for areas they could travel without getting stuck, staying close to plowed roads and hoping to catch a walleye or two at sunset. most of these guys were leaving the lake before the fishing even got good. our group quietly had a great weekend; highlights were a 28 1/2" walleye caught, photo'd, released early friday am; my girlfriend catching her first walleye ever and it being a healthy 19", and a few pike, perch, and walleye for a new years day fish fry.

the best part of the weekend was a guy trying to tell me at the bar that large mouth bass are "actually classified as a rough fish" and that he didnt eat northerns because "no real fisherman has the time to try to clean one of those."

EYEHUNTER10

Best spot on the lake usually you wont see another fishouse for close to a mile away either direction except your own self, but its not a good place to get stranded. Thank god this lake has these safe havens, but with gps and all these tourneys now not many secret spots left, good luck out there to all!!

LandDr

Hey guys.

I really appreciate that everyone cares about Minnewaska. But I would really appreciate if this post could be used for fishing reports, ice updates, conditions on the lake, etc...information for the people that want to go fishing.

If you want to start another post to talk about how lakes get fished out or don't get fished out, how big fish used to be but are not anymore, how everyone is now on your lake, etc., etc., etc.,...please start another post to do so. Then the 10 or 20 of you can have a good dicussion about those topics.

As I look at other posts...lakes are being named, locations are being given, depths are being stated and even what they used and how they did it.

How about some fishing reports...or even a good joke?

Something pretty odd that happened on Waska the other day...a kid pulled up a 19" walleye on a wax worm in Crappie Town! A wax worm! Should be the hot walleye bait now. smile

Fish On...and on...and on...and on!

honda4life

I had a good time fishig there. Next time imma try away from the crowds. Great lake.

DarthBaiter

I was up on Monday and we went to Reno for the day with not much luck and tried Waska, but it was getting dark and from what I've heard it has been even slower after sundown. I'll still blame the weather front for the slow bite. I shloul've kept driving and tried upper red, now that's a great lake, but that's a different forum!!

goose89

I was in the Alex area fishing the last 2 days. No panfish, cept one perch, but had good luck w/ the walleyes on Monday nite. 3 out of 7 were over 20"s (23,24, and 26 1/2".) One "cigar" early this morning, and not a bite tonite.

I'm out.

Whoaru99

Well, I for one REALLY appreciate anyones fishing spot tips and advice.

I could be considered a local since I live only ~20 miles from Waska. But, know what? I get out to fish only a few times per year. I don't have the time or wherewithall to keep up on all the "inside" information shared amongst the privledged few.

IMO, it's not the people traveling far and wide to get in a day's fishing you have to worry about. It's probably your neighbor, the professional weekend fisherman that makes two or three limit trips to the lake every day when the bite it on. Most likely, you know who these guys are.

There..now that I've got that off my chest....

Any hot tips for me and my cousin who will be trying to catch something on Waska this Saturday?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Surface water temperatures range from 65 in the morning reaching low 70s during the late afternoon. 

Minnesota has been best in shallower areas such as the Flag Island Flats (5-9 ft.) Prime time being the evening bite with many nice fish including a 31" beast. Deeper water around Four Blocks and LIttle Oak are providing good action for Walleye/Sauger. Orange has been the top color. Even with the recent Mayfly hatch and plenty of crayfish in fishes bellies, (Walleye, Sauger and Northerns) the fishing is awesome!

Canadian fishing has been the best using bottom bouncers in the mud with gold being the most productive color spinners. Jigging will produce fish around structure with larger Walleye/Sauger coming out of 26+ feet of water. Pike and Muskie action is somewhat concentrated to underwater weeds or occasionally while jigging for walleye.

We hope to see you soon! 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Parmer
      It may or may not. Everything i have read is the initial surge from starting it up is close to 2600 watts. And after that it runs at 1600.
    • Borch
      I never have.  Waded in when the kids were swimming.  Nice sunfish and I hear a good bass lake.  A person could portage a boat in there if it weren't too heavy.  I've never stayed there but can see people down at the beach when I fish there.
    • Gone Out Fishin
      On Island lake, I typically had luck fishing smallies near Rice Lake Road. Then the chain of islands east of the bridge has a good reef studded with boulders, moderate side rocks, and timber. Depending on the wind those islands can be good for bass or walleye. Use to use creature baits and crawdads to fish thoroughly.   Gone Out Fishin
    • Naturboy
      It’s not totally remote but I found an app for my phone called “all stays” and it has filter settings and you can find small camp sites where your not surrounded by 30’ rigs. So you don’t feel like your camping on a sidewalk in Chicago.  I found the county park ones are nice without driving 4+ hours away. 
    • Getanet
      Thanks Borch - Star Island looks really interesting and Cass is a lake I've always meant to get to, but never have. Have you ever fished Windigo?  I'm assuming the only way to do it would be to fish from shore or carry in a canoe or kayak.  Sure would be interesting to fish on a lake within a lake.
    • Rick
      Looks interesting.... any chance a video is on its way 🙂
    • ifishwalleye
      I fished Friday and Saturday. I started out front of Zipple in 28’. Jig w/ frozen shinners. I caught small fish. I moved towards Long Point out from the green can. I was marking lots of fish in 25’. I ended up with a limit of 14” to 16” eyes. I was catching a good number of fish that were mostly on the small side. They were biting super lite!  Yes, I missed my fair share too. Lol Saturday I tried Knight and Bridges. I didn’t mark many fish and didn’t have a bite on either reef at various depths! I did talk to a guy who did well in the morning. I moved out to the mud to 32’ and started marking nice hooks. I caught some really nice fish. I ended up keeping 18” to 19” eyes. I caught 6 slot fish. The biggest was 27”. It was awesome! Good Luck BTW...it sure would be nice if others would post. 
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Surface water temperatures range from 65 in the morning reaching low 70s during the late afternoon. 

Minnesota has been best in shallower areas such as the Flag Island Flats (5-9 ft.) Prime time being the evening bite with many nice fish including a 31" beast. Deeper water around Four Blocks and LIttle Oak are providing good action for Walleye/Sauger. Orange has been the top color. Even with the recent Mayfly hatch and plenty of crayfish in fishes bellies, (Walleye, Sauger and Northerns) the fishing is awesome!

Canadian fishing has been the best using bottom bouncers in the mud with gold being the most productive color spinners. Jigging will produce fish around structure with larger Walleye/Sauger coming out of 26+ feet of water. Pike and Muskie action is somewhat concentrated to underwater weeds or occasionally while jigging for walleye.

We hope to see you soon! 
      Sunset Lodge
    • DJ_Slick
      Fishing with my father and my son on Father's Day hasn't happened in a long time...so this was fun.  Helped that the storms stayed south. 1/4-1/2 mile off the border straight out from the gap in 29-ish feet of water jigging worked for us.  Limits of 17+" walleyes by lunch both days, with a handful of slots for good measure.  Hardly any sauger, though.  Jig color rotated, so if something isn't working, change it up.  Black, gold, orange, pink, white, green, chartreuse all produced at one point or another.  Not everyone was catching, and moving 1/4 mile or even a couple hundred feet made a big difference at times. We didn't try it, but heard of spinners and crawlers working up shallow (6-10 feet) along Pine Island. Mayflies are starting to hatch.  Dad saw some floaters on the Rainy on Saturday, and I saw some in town at the gas station when I left Monday morning.
    • DLD24
      Any current reports, crappies still biting? Going to give it a go Friday morning.