• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Coming up this weekend. Wondering if I should bring the wheeler to pull out 7X16 wheelhouse or if it is safe pulling it out with 1/2 ton truck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was planning on going up his weekend, called the bait shop, they suggested I wait for a bit with my 1/2 ton truck and Ice castle. He said some are driving but he would not quite yet with truck and wheelhouse so I am waiting.

I am sure some are doing it but I can wait, oevr cautious for me maybe.

Edited by harvey lee

On the ice now.....bite has been slow for eyes yesterday and today/tonight........15 to 19" of ice from what I can tell......trucks and big houses look to be driving all over.....lots of houses on the lake.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A guy I know has been doing well for walleyes during the day in 15-18 fow.  Doesn't narrow it down much.  But that's what I know.

Got 17 walleyes Saturday night. Best bite was 11pm to 2am. 18 feet of water off of a sandgrass flat.

Heading up to Waska this Saturday.  Looking for advice on the safest and easiest landing to pull a 1/2 ton truck and 21 ft ice castle.  Called up to the bait shop and she said there are houses as big as you can imagine out there.  I'll figure out a spot to fish but want to make sure that its an easy on and off for us. 

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

First off welcome to the site Radio 21. Hunts Resort and the Hatchery landing are the best for wheel houses IMO.  Otherwise you could check out Sherrifs landing if you want to try farther out and don't  want to drive as far across the ice. A week ago I saw a 34 ft double axle wheel house. Talked to a friend of the guy who owned it.  He said it was custom built the guy owned his own shop and  it was pulled by a 1 ton truck. Crazy talk about a lot of room.

I appreciate the response and welcoming IceHawk.   That's quite the rig you describe, I'm guessing if they made it out there alright our little rig will be just fine :)

16 hours ago, IceHawk said:

First off welcome to the site Radio 21. Hunts Resort and the Hatchery landing are the best for wheel houses IMO.  Otherwise you could check out Sherrifs landing if you want to try farther out and don't  want to drive as far across the ice. A week ago I saw a 34 ft double axle wheel house. Talked to a friend of the guy who owned it.  He said it was custom built the guy owned his own shop and  it was pulled by a 1 ton truck. Crazy talk about a lot of room.

If my memory is correct, according to the newspaper I read it in, that house was 44' long and had 13 holes. That was an extremely risky thing to pull out there on the ice that was available at the time. Why not just enclose the lake?

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Yah big for sure guy told me the owner of the house has a 34 and a 44 ft house. Whichever it was the sucker was huge cant believe you could pull that thing down the road good.  Wonder what the weight of them are crazy. When I first saw it I thought it was a put together but in amazement it had a frame and axles.

• 2 months later...

Can't believe this thread got to 105 pages then just died.

Bite was really good this past weekend. 

• 3 months later...

Went out on Starbuck end last night.   4 inches of ice and 3-4 inches of snow.   I walked out about a 1/4 mile, it was a bit of a haul pulling the portable.  There were 5 other party's out there, a couple had small 4 wheelers.  My wife said there were a half dozen on the Glenwood end.

Was out last nite with 4 wheeler more out in the middle about 2 miles west of Glenwood.  6+ inches ice and snow had blown into pillow drifts but not too deep.  Crossed a couple cracks with slush around them  Decent bite, not great.  A few 10 inchers to throw back along with eaters.  The bite was early, at that particular spot, all over by 4:30.

I was out Monday on the north side. 6" of ice where i was in 13' of water. Only marked a couple fish but I also didn't get out until after sundown.  Has anyone ever fished Lake Malmedal? It appears to have a god walleye population from the survey reports

Edited by jake125

Was on the lake today. Walked out from the ballroom access. Ice is 10" if not a little more. Big crack I had to cross looks like it froze solid though. No major drifts...some a car or quad may get stuck in. As for fishing was no good! Set up by all the houses got a couple crappie is all. Was out from 630am-1130

16 hours ago, A.C. Outdoors said:

Anything happening on waska thinking about taking my daughter there on Saturday or Monday thanks 

Looking just for action to entertain the kid, or are you looking to catch a meal?  Set up in a pocket or on the edge of weedlines.  Bass and 4"-6" perch have been very active during the day, small jigs with waxies or spikes;  Jigging spoons have been turning bass and pike as well during the day.  Gills and crappies have been very scattered; walleyes hit or miss evenings and overnights.  Fresh report from 2 buddies that live on the lake.

What's the ice conditions like on minnewaska, after this warm and windy weekend? Was hoping to pull permanent up for next weekend

Ol lund you are probably here already.  Today lots of activity on lake and at access's.  Ice is pushing so lakeside accesss was closed, Sax access should be open by tomorrow.  People driving on from DNR access.  If you can get away from all that and get in about 20 ft of water you can catch some walleyes.  What I have caught even since first ice has been mid afternoon.  Best time has been between 3 and 4 with some action before and after but basically done by 4;30pm to 5.  I caught 5 15-17 in walleyes yesterday by 4:30.  Gotta catch a few 24 in northerns in with them.  Once in a while a 27-30 in northern.  Shallower and weedier they are getiing crappies and sunfish but not much for walleyes.  Happy New Year all 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on Ice conditions/Access conditions?  Hoping to make it out for the first time this year over the weekend!  Any reports on bites would also be appreciated.  I will try to post a report if I get out...

Well, I went out Friday afternoon/evening from the beach access in Glenwood.  I measured 17" of ice.  Fishing was not good.  Never even marked a fish.  Hope others had good luck, there is a ton of houses out again this year.  Someone ought to be catching them!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any reports from opening weekend? Heard of an alright bite on Emily but had commitments and couldn't make it out. Planning on getting out in the middle of the week depending on the rain.

• 6 months later...

Called baitshop, he said people are going out from beach and a couple houses out. Wouldn't say how much ice. Who's got an ice depth?

was out tonight, 6-8 in out from the dnr landing. wheelers and a couple perms out. still open water out in front of Peters resort on the south shore. It starts out a couple hundred yards from shore and runs to the north- northwest for a long ways. some of the spots that were open earlier this week have skimmed, be careful out there if you see different looking ice stop and check!!

Any new updates on the ice thickness.  Looking to get out on walk-able ice this weekend.  Seems like the darn winds blows 45 mph every day lately.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions