• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Took a family out fishing the other day and they did very well. Fished for about a hour and half with 4 eyes, a few bass and a few pike and a very large perch. Then the kids wanted to tube for the rest of the time.

fishing%207.12.11%20bell%20with%20big%20

The daughter got a really nice eye about 17 inches

fishing%207.12.11%20bro%20with%20eye.jpg

Her brother got one about 15 inches

fishing%207.12.11%20bell%20with%20small%

She got another nice eater.

fishing%207.12.11%20bell%20with%20perch.

I didn't measure this perch but it was the biggest one I have ever seen out of the lake...really nice!

fishing%207.12.11%20bell%20with%20eye.jp

Another nice Waska walleye

Panfish bite is still really strong. Bass and pike all over. And the walleye bite has been excellent with usually 4 to 6 keepers each time we go out for 2 or 3 hours.

Fish On!

Will be staying at Woodlawn next weekend...where abouts are the 'eyes biting and with what tactics.

Will be stopping in the bait shop Friday afternoon if you would prefer not to post...

Thanks,

Mike

I fished Waska Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

Many pike, bass crappie and gills.

We did catch a few eyes but it was not anything exciting.

Almost all fish caught on leeches and crawlers.

Hit another lake in the area Wednesday evening and Thursday afternoon and drilled the eyes. One of the best bites I have been on for years for eyes this tiome of the year.

I would guess from Wednesday evening and thursday from 11am to 3 pm we caught 75-90 eyes total.

Bait of choice was a slow death rig with a crawler and trolling speed was 5/10th's mph. Water depth was mainly 7-14 fow.

Between the lakes I fished, I found the water temps from 75.7-80.4.

Nice job Harvey Lee. Welcome to the Alex area. Rainy, now Alex... You're having a good beginning to the year with the walleyes!!

This year has to the be the best years I have ever had for catching numerous specie and for the numbers.

Headed up on saturday through wednesday we are staying at Peters Sunset does anyone know if they have good fishing off the beach? Had the boat out over the weekend and wouldn't stay running. Kept killing everytime i would put it into gear. Brought it in to have it looked at but not sure if it will be ready for the week. Does anyone know if there are any good rental places on the lake?

There are good pan fish off the docks there and along the shore...probably have to pick thru the small ones. Get out to 12 to 14 feet for the bigger sunnies. A lot of bass and pike there as well. Night is a good time to try off the docks and shore for walleyes.

Hunts Resort might have boats to rent but they have their own guests as well that may have the equipment tied up...just have to check. Fish On Bait & Sport (downtown bait shop)provides guided fishing and even tubing if you have kids that want to tube. Minnewaska Marine in Starbuck is someone you check with for jetskies.

The fishing has been really good on Waska so you shouldn't have any problem catching fish.

Fish On!

Appreciate the info. Hopefully the boat will be ready and I can get out and get into some good fishing.

Fish On Bait & Sport (downtown bait shop)provides guided fishing and even tubing if you have kids that want to tube.

Fish On!

How much do you get for a couple hours of tubing??

$150 for 3 hours...fishing or tubing or both combined. A lot of the time the kids like to fish for awhile but start getting a little antsy...so we throw them on the tube for awhile as well. smile

Fish On!

Unique for sure. Just curious, is the Coast Guard "Six Pack" test required for the Alex area (smaller inland) lakes. I know that was a big deal for the river and big lakes (ML, Winnie, Leech,ect) a couple years ago. Wondering if that's still a / ever been a requirement there? Any other special considerations / insurance required for "pay-for" tubing?

I had a buddy that was looking to get into Muskie guiding and decided not to.. it was his understanding that a guy needed to have a captains license for ANY sort of guiding..

What's your top speed? Personal wake jump height? I've been looking into some guided Tubing.... A guy in DL is pretty good. Are you that good?

I am pretty sure I said "guided fishing" and not "guided tubing". Just can't keep your criticism off the Minnewaska thread can you. I have a special lead bottom tube just for you if you want a ride. smile

Smileoutthere...just a single. It's just meant to be some additional fun for the kids if they are along...adding to their summer vacation experience on Minnewaska that some people don't seem to understand or appreciate.

Fish On!

Ease up.... Just curious what the requirements / considerations are for this type of business venture. Sounds like it might have some potential.

I'm assuming you've got the minimum requirements to guide for fish then.

I had customers asking about tubing so just trying to help them have some fun as well...great seeing the kids faces that don't get to do this type of thing were they come from. We don't know how good we have it with all of these beautiful lakes...many visitors have never seen a "Minnesota walleye" or gone tubing. I personally find it very rewarding seeing these kids enjoying the outdoors versus sitting inside playing video games or other unproductive activities.

I don't own a two person tube...but if I see a reasonable one at a sale, maybe I will pick it up. Kinda hard to fit it all in the boat since fishing has been the priority. smile

Fish On!

Nice!

Still haven't gotten to - Are you liscensed to guide for fish or insured if something were to happen? Not bustin' your chops, just curious if it would be feasible to guide on just one lake the size of 'waska. Or, do you branch out to other lakes that are producing?

I have a $2 Million coverage. I am mainly just focusing on Minnewaska...but I can head to a couple of area lakes if needed. The customers I have had so far are just mainly interested in having some fun, catching some fish and enjoying the lake. I don't think I need to chase a hot bite on some other lake. smile I have never really done that on my own either.

Fish On!

Nice!

Still haven't gotten to - Are you liscensed to guide for fish...

Customers came in.

Spoke to a CO a few weeks back and MN doesn't have any license requirements like that except for Federal Nav Waters where the Coast Guard steps in (6 pack you referred to). Do have to meet the boat license and regs of coarse. Probably the biggest thing is to have the insurance coverage. Being a good safety aware guide should resolve most of the liability issues.

Fish On!

Easy...Ever try to sit in a boat and watch everyone else fish...but you can't because you are guiding? That is not easy. smile

As guides I am sure would tell you, there is a lot that goes into it...not to mention the pressure to have fish bite when you have no control over them.

I own and operate two other businesses besides the store...this is just something to get out on the lake and help some visitors with enjoying their stay.

Thanks for the gesture.

Fish On!

Easy...Ever try to sit in a boat and watch everyone else fish...but you can't because you are guiding? That is not easy. smile

Fish On!

Guides I've seen fish while guiding. Guess it's different when your guiding children. Nice way to right some more stuff off I bet. wink

Guides I've seen fish while guiding. Guess it's different when your guiding children. Nice way to right some more stuff off I bet. wink

Sorry Wayne. Didn't know..Haven't seen that. Is that the norm? or have the few guides I've been with take fish away from me?? I always thought I caught as much, if not more b/c they were fishing and teaching me / us.

Time for you guys to start posting more "fishing reports," and start bickering less! I've been on this forum for a few days and everybody just sits and argues...lame!

RangerJack, no bickering intended here. Asked a few questions and shared my experiences. I agree, some of this should be PM'd back and forth. I've tried that in the past with "off topic / fishing report" questions. No responses often. I like the PM function...not utilized enough around here.

Any one got some fishing reports?? I'll be up on Saturday and would really like to get my nephew who doesn't get out much because his dad is too busy. Thanks in advance....

btw, RJ, PM sent. Welcome to FM!

Ive got a report. Went on waska Saturday evening and it was slooooooww. 2 walleyes. better bring your armored suit and tie yourself down or the skeets will carry you away at sundown.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions