• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

basssmasher*

I'm going early tomorrow am.. u got my cell number... gimme a text!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Starbuck Marina is a really nice landing...smooth concrete and deep water. Parking is pretty good but might be tight on the opener. There might be some off parking with a little walk. It is sheltered from the wind which makes loading and unloading great. I believe it is one boat at a time.

Glenwood Beach is a nice landing but can be shallow for some of the bigger boats. Limited parking but some park on the grass or park across the hwy in the ballfield parking which has lots of room. Wind can be an issue. Two boats at a time.

DNR Landing is a very good landing...smooth concrete with good depth for the bigger boats. Good parking but might be tight on the opener. Might be able to park at the DNR or off street with a little walk. Two boats at a time and is also mostly sheltered from wind.

I think you are going to find walleyes all over the lake...deeper, on structure and in shallow. I am going shallow as the walleyes like feeding on the running shiners around this time of year. Waska has a great walleye population and great year class structure...you may catch anything from 10 to 12 inches to 28 or even over 30 inches. The walleyes on Waska are well fed...very fat and happy...so these are great looking fish! I am sure there will be plenty of pike on the prowl as well.

Fish On!

Rookie13

What effect will the high water levels have on Waska fishing for the opener?

carpmanjake

got my first minnewaska smallie today, and a bunch of other big largemouths! no pike tho... saw one guy hook a big one while going for walleye, but broke off

full-27194-8652-229372_10150185945734934

Not many of boats on Waska over the weekend. Coming down the hill Sunday afternoon I didn't see one boat on School Point which is really odd. There were a few more pre-fishing boats out Sunday afternoon but far from packed. Due to the low number of boats on the lake, there were not many fishing reports back in either.

I fished off the beach after closing just after midnight Friday night. We managed a couple of eyes and a few misses as well. Pretty chilly out and a long day so we headed home.

Fish On!

carpmanjake

got a few walleyes, and a couple pike yesterday, lost a pike that would have gone over 12 easy.

alot of bass like this big girl too

full-27194-8724-bass.jpg

pike were caught ripping lippless cranks in firetiger, or silver. walleyes on jigs tipped with 3" gulp ALIVE! minnows.

There were a few more pre-fishing boats out Sunday afternoon....

Pre-fishing for what??

walleyestealer

i think all the walleyes in minnewaska are gone. thanks for the overfishing, too many tournaments. it will be good again in 10 years

walleyestealer

3 of us caught 15 walleys, keepers, 15-20 inchers, sunday. and a couple 10 inch sunnies pulling a harness with spinner.

Minnewaska Walleye Classic on May 21-22.

Nope...still walleyes in the lake. They have fins and move to different spots...requires finding new spots to fish and maybe changing a little on how they are fished.

I see more walleyes on my camera in the winter than I have ever ever seen in my life. There are a lot of walleyes in the lake...just harder to catch because they have changed and it requires changing with them. There are also a lot more forage in the lake. Waska walleyes are some of the fattest roundest walleyes I have ever seen!

Makes me hungry thinking about it...I think I am going to head out fishing for awhile. smile

Fish On!

Back with the report...3 walleyes in the pail...all about 16...one getting close to 17. Lost 2 lifting them out of the water...need to bring the net next time...that would have been 5 in the pail. Several strikes and a couple fish on but lost.

Not bad for an hour of fishing. I gotta plant corn in the morning so I'm head'in to bed.

Fish On!

Thats interesting Landdr, I was out there last night for 3 hours and caught one. We talked to 3 other boats for a grand total of 2 other fish caught and 2 bites... Also, the Minnewaska spring walleye classic is no more. Never got off the ground for the first year, and from the rumor mill, I'd say we wont need to be worrying about a fall walleye classic this year either, after last years debaukle, nobody from around here will be giving him money again.

I took a quick photo...not the best quality but shows the fish anyway.

walleyes%205.16.11.jpg

Vexipro...not sure where you are fishing or how. I just do what works for me. I keep it pretty simple...most of the time it works but sometimes it doesn't.

Fish On!

Angry  Irishman

Any reports from Lake Emily or Long Lake? I will be up there Friday thru Sunday. Looking more for water temps than anything.

cvanderweyst

vexipro- I hope the people that did sign up for the classic get there money back. It is too bad that tournament is ruined. maybe someone else will take it over someday.

Well that's the first I heard the tournament wasn't on...sorry about that. I guess that explains why he hasn't been by to put up a flier. My partner and I decided not to enter because my spring is way too busy and he has a lot of projects as well...fall just works better for us.

I hope they get their money back as well. That would be a shame if they didn't.

Fish On!

Two 15 inchers tonight...threw two smaller ones back...had close to a dozen strikes and a couple on. For fish that make their living out of catching small fish to eat, these fish don't seem to have the target right for my rap.

Only fished for a half hour...long day.

Fish On!

Landrr, what are your views on the MLA? I tried to send you a PM, but your PM box is full.

I really don't know a whole lot about what they do except that they release additional walleyes into the lake. They have an annual fundraiser to generate funds for more walleyes for Waska...have to compliment them for that. I don't know if they are too political or if they do much for education to landowners within the watershed on how to take care of the lake...I would like to see more of that since a lake is a byproduct of it's watershed.

A representative of MLA just dropped off some flyers but I haven't had time to read them yet to learn more about the organization. We do sell memberships for them along with the MLA sticker.

From what I have seen, it is a good organization to support...they are trying and as volunteers that is about as much as we can do.

If anyone wants a membership to MLA, just let us know next time you are in.

Fish On!

I know of several people that have not gotten their money back, despite repeated attempts.

fishingfool

Anyone willing to elaborate on what happened with the classic for those of usnot in the know?

Thanks

He didnt pay anyone last fall. People had to hunt him down and shake him down to get a check

smileoutthere

Two 15 inchers tonight...threw two smaller ones back...had close to a dozen strikes and a couple on. For fish that make their living out of catching small fish to eat, these fish don't seem to have the target right for my rap.

Only fished for a half hour...long day.

Fish On!

Man...wish I knew where you were fishing and how. Caught four fish...lost two that were on...and missed close to a dozen strikes (let's call it 10)...all in a half hour. That would be a total of 16 "strikes" in 30 minutes. I was going to try and go catch some panfish...but sounds like I should switch over to walleyes for the real action.

wetaline1

Jeez Landdr those fish look like they've been dead since the pre-fish on Friday...

Who goes walleye fishing for just 30 minutes?? especially when you get just shy of a hundred bites

Heard almost every other lake produced fish so far this year.

cvanderweyst

he also changed the entry fee about a month before the tourney and promised refunds of the diffrence. Needless to say i havent seen a check yet

Who goes walleye fishing for just 30 minutes? Me. With my spring schedule and the store, the only time I have to fish is at night and only as long as I can stay awake. smile

I put the fish on ice cuz I was too tired to clean them at 1am after being out on prescribed fire all day. Cleaned them in the morning. What's the issue...again?

Were I am fishing? No secret...I tell people to go shallow, especially with the full moon. Shiners are running and the eyes are active. I use an F11 Vampire which mimics the lake shiner. Both nights I have been the only one out there...get off the computer and go fishing. smile

Fish On!

pushbutton

Man, tough crowd up here some days............I don't fish for walleyes much, but when I do, usually do so at dusk/night. This is when the fish are actively feeding and choice of bait and presentation is not as important. And yes, will often catch 2 through 4 fish in very quick manner; also in the spring and fall you do not even need to get in a boat to do so. If I am in a boat will actally often beach it on the shore and work out towards the lake pitching or cranking.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Have some friends coming up this weekend. They have an 18" glass pleasure boat. Wondering if with the low water, we'll have trouble launching? Anybody use the launch lately?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Day 3 of using nothing but drop shots, wacky rigs, and jig and craw took me to Wisconsin to see if I could continue my newfound favorite lures. I went to Church Pine Lake, just east of Osceola. Never been here before, so had no clue what to expect. Turns out to be a nice little lake for a small boat such as mine. Lots of potential here, but fishing was tough today. Most fish came on the drop shot on the deep weed edges. 6 bass and 1 little pike. Highlight came at the very end of the day, where I caught a 21 inch bass right in front of the access. Best way to end the day 😁

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really good week of summer walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in many areas but most are targeting deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.
      A nice mix of eaters, slots and quite a few trophy walleyes over 28 inches caught this week.  Spinners with crawlers / leeches or trolling crankbaits have been the most effective techniques.  
      Good spinner blade colors to start with are hammered gold, red / white, gold / glow, pink, orange or chartreuse.
      Crankbait colors, pink UV firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger.  It is good to start with different colors / shapes / action of cranks when fishing with other anglers and let the walleyes tell you that day what they want.    
      On the Rainy River...   The river produces a mixed bag of fish during the summer months.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on structure is still effective if fish are present.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits continues to be effective.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Marye
      By Marye
      So I'm fairly new to the area my boys love fishing as do I . We have been attempting for the past couple of weeks to find a place we can fish without a boat. In between Brainerd and Little Falls. Also times of day to go. We love fishing I'm a newbie as well so just looking for ideas please and thank you.
    • rumeye
      By rumeye
      Going up to GM 16th through the 21st bringing my 14fter was looking at Ball club and east west twin for walleyes. Anybody fish these before or am I just better off smallie fishing on Two Island or trout in Kimball. I know JB and Moose will have some feedback so what say you ? going up with the wife and 8 yr old grandson they will be kayaking me fishing. Although grandson will probably want to be fishing with me. Appreciate any feedback from you guys thanks.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in a variety of areas, but most anglers focusing on deep mud in 30 - 34' of water, although anglers found fish in less than 20' as well.
      Walleyes can be scattered across big mud basins or hanging out in small schools.  Covering water by drifting snelled spinners with a crawler or leech or trolling crankbaits has been effective.  
      Anglers using a 2-3 ounce weight for spinners in deeper water.  For trolling crankbaits, many options.  Downriggers, lead core line, a 4 oz bottom bouncer with a 6' mono / fluorocarbon leader or snap weights to get your lures down to the fish.
      A nice mix of sizes include small fish, eaters, slots (19.5 - 28") and trophy walleyes over 28".  Summer is a great time to target big fish.
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      From the mouth of the Rainy River at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale, there is 42 miles of navigable river.  A fun option on high wind days or for a change of pace.  Water levels are low so use caution in shallow areas.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows on structure is still effective as if fish are there, they will come through in waves.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.
      Good pike fishing for those who like targeting them.  Muskie anglers boating some nice 50 plus inch fish all on the U.S. side as the border is closed.  Smallmouth hanging around deep rocky areas.  .
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Oh you'll have plenty of time before snow flies.😉 you just need to put your mind to it !!👍🤭
    • TrueNorth
      I rented a cabin in June that had the new StarLink (Elon Musk) in it.  Let me tell ya....Lighting!  I was pulling 150 to 200 MB.     4 of us stayed there and zero problems...even during heavy cloud cover.  This is the solution for fast internet up there. 
    • StillFishin'
      I don’t know the technical on how ACcess Mn works, but we have it as of this year.  I still have my CC service( which used ATT tower in Frazier but too far away)  as I’m up not up there permanently.  No internet at the cabin before but now there is, plus Wifi calling.  I may ditch my land which will save $.      
    • leech~~
      I'm wondering if you should try and use long track sled tracks as it maybe a bit tippy, or keep it as wide as you can. Are you may find out you will need a pair of skis out front for better stability? There are a bunch of them on Youtube to look at. Some of them seem more front to back tippy then side to side becuase of being top heavy. But, Im no engineer! 😆 Love the concept! 👍
    • Austin12345
      I think when your ice fishing a fish finder is your most essential piece of gear it makes a worlds difference to be able to hole hop and find different areas and see fish chasing. In the summer time it is not as essential but it can give you a huge advantage if you know how to use your unit right.  
    • Mtnman
      Happy you are getting rain. Should be back on Rainy the end of August.  Cheers !!  
    • papadarv
      My total design. All details are mind created as I build. Did this sketch design last Dec.   In my "Open Air Workshop" behind my shed  
    • delcecchi
      Well, missed us again.     That radar overlay at Wunderground wundermap seems to be off a little.  Basically, pffft it was done.   A lttle toonder and lightning and then nothing.   
    • Mike89
      tornado and water spouts are one and the same I was taught....  just sayin....
    • Steve Smith233
      Thanks for your informative article.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.