• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this before.

All fish were boated on a crawler harness with a gold dimpled spinner blade and a full crawler. Gills were up to 10 inches, boated 2 of those and crappie up to 14.75. Eyes were all in the 15-18" range.

Went through 11 dozens crawlers in 2 outing in a total of 5 hours of fishing. Water was very warm, 81 degrees and fished off the edge of the weeds on a breakline from 13-17fow.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Tom Great report glad to here from you again :)

Gulp crawlers.  especially when your dragging spinners through the clouds of 3" perch and the bigger bass.  Walleyes and gills will still hit them and hold on long enough to set the hook.  I bought a flat of crawlers before vacation, and even when cutting them into 1/3rds, I was still going through them too fast.  once I figured out a good walleye spot, switched to gulp and didn't have any less success on the walleyes and gills. 

Good to hear there are still some crappie somewhere in that lake.  I only caught one worth keeping in a week of fishing; I did mark a school or two out deep that appeared to be suspended crappie, but was too lazy to try to fish them.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 months later...

Is there ever going to be ice on Waska?  Doesn't look like I will be spending new years on the lake:(

A few portables on Minnewaska...out from Glenwood beach and DNR landing.  I have not confirmed ice thickness but would guess around 4-6 inches...leaning more towards 4 inches...and that would only be for a hundred yards out or so.  Minnewaska just froze over the other day so would not recommend venturing too far out quite yet.

Reno had a lot of portables out over the weekend and a couple small perms out.  One fisherman reported 6 inches of ice pretty consistently.  No fishing report given.

Forecast is about freezing tomorrow and then back down into the 20s.  Making a little ice but not much.  I would not expect perms out on Minnewaska over new year's...or at the most smaller ones.

Fish On!...and on...and on...and on...

I checked on the ice out  from the DNR access yesterday, not quite 4 inches.   Talked to a gentleman who had been out to the bar and he confirmed that it was similiar farther out.   I need a bit more than that.  Very nice clear ice tho.

Merry Christmas All!

After all of the Christmas family time here today I'm planning to pack the truck and head up to Minnewaska to spend Sat & Sun fishing- 

It sounds like there's enough ice to walk out as of a few days ago, just checking in to see if anybody can provide any kind of feedback on this before I make the trip?

Thanks!

-Cobber

There was 5+ yesterday.  Some areas 6.  I was thinking about using a 4 wheeler but have about 5" snow tight now so will have to rethink.  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for the update MLaker.  Let us know if you make it out how you did fishing and also ice thickness. Thanks Mike

There maybe was less than 5" of snow yesterday, maybe around 4.  Anyway last nite out in the Bottle bay area there was almost 6" ice and 2-3 inches of snow.  Got to around -3 or -5 this morning.  Ended up with 16 & 17 inch walleyes and tossed back a small walleye and northern.  Kind of slow, but not the area I really want to be in.  It was a bit of a chore pullling my otter sled, tonight I'll be using a 4 wheeler.   If you havent been by for a while there is a significant heave from Torgy's point east to the inlet, so you can't haul much through the DNR access.  Go to Lakeside or the beach or skip over to Sacks landing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the report! Nice to see some reports from this area.

I would be very careful when venturing out on Minnewaska.  The lake froze in many different sheets this year and we were finding ice last Friday night from 2-8".  There was a very large section that froze sometime after most of the rest of the lake which had significantly less ice.  We found 2" of ice adjacent to ice that was nearly 8"!   I would just use caution before deciding to bomb across the lake figuring that the entire sheet is consistent, especially if there is snow cover. 

We did not have much luck last week, but were able to pick off a few walleyes. 

The water is clearer than I have seen on waska for sometime, we were able to see the bottom in 12'+ of water. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Several portables out today along with some smaller perms.  Either walking, ATV or sleds for transportation.  Good reports on walleyes but many smaller in size.  Still early to get a lot of reports in but fishing is usually good this time of year on Waska.

Had several calls from people asking where they can park their bigger fish houses...some asking just to store it until the ice gets thicker and other want to stay in the big house while they run portables out fishing.  I talked to the city about it and we have set up a spot in Barsness Park right across from the City Beach boat landing (next to museum).  City plowed off all the snow and set up some trash cans.  There is a $20/day camping fee if you are using the house for that or a $10/day storage if you just want to leave your house there during the week.  It is patrolled by city police.  Anyone interested can stop into Fish On Bait to register your fish house and pay for the fee.

Fish On!

• Thumbs Up 2

Great opportunity for some. Thanks for the info and report.

• Thumbs Up 1

How is the ice looking since the colder temps?  On way up for an extended weekend of fishing.....hoping we can pull the smaller permanent out with a 4wheeler.....if not we will be pulling out the portables.

Also interested in hearing some updated ice info- I was up last weekend (Sat/Sun) and found a consistant good solid 5" of clear ice between the school and Starbuck- Hwy 29 side of the lake. A couple brave souls with small perms, but mostly wheelers and portables at that time. Didn't do great- saw a few, marked a few, and got a couple to bite but not much more than a northern, couple bass and a small eye.

Good weather since, hoping for the best- I'll be up this weekend as well, arriving tonight.

-Cobber

Just got back from scouting on the lake.  Solid 6 inches most places rarely 7.  Up to 12 ft houses out there mostly.  A couple 14.  Crack opened up out from Sacks landing, careful if you go SE from there.   It messed up my plans.  Happy New Year

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the report and heads up on the conditions. Hopeing to make it out there next week to chase some pies.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

• Thumbs Up 3

We were up this last weekend- a good 8" near the Priest Point area. Drilled quite a few holes over the weekend (40+) in the general area and found the same 8" everywhere. Smaller Perms (2500lb and under), wheelers and side by sides everywhere in the area. A couple of the bigger houses that I saw in our area were a 8x16 (or so) Yeti (not sure how it was finished inside- which would greatly affect the total weight), and what looked to be an 8x14 or so Ice Castle. Smaller shacks aside from that.

Should be about a week or so until you start seeing more 3000lb and up houses heading out, so long as they have a wheeler or small unit to pull it out- but won't be long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad :) Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

• Thumbs Up 3

IceHawk a report would be greatly appreciated when you are done this weekend.

Edited by 123fish

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions