• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Can a guy get any keepable sunnies anywhere along shore this time of year? The marina is full of potato chips snd I'm headin up that way in the early a.m.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been out lately so dont have a report. But Id start pulling raps around the beach area and see what happens. Smallmouth bite on waska has been pretty good this year landed some nice fat fish this year. Tis the time to arrow deer and just wait for that water to freeze.

Fished Saturday night after the big winds. Fished 4-5' on both shores from 7:30-9:15 pulling a #13 perch floating rap. Water temp 63F. Tried by reeds also. Very little action.

• 3 weeks later...

Hit Priest Point a couple times over MEA weekend. Saw lots of walleyes being caught but we were not on the right spot. Anchor up as close to the weedline as possible and keep your jig very still near the bottom.

• 1 month later...

Area lakes look to be iced over pretty good. I am sure Amelia still have an open spot due to the depth of the lake and that geese often keep it open late. Starting to see a portable or two on some lakes. Be careful!

I would expect to see more people out this weekend and I am sure they will be after some early walleyes and panfish. Will post more conditions and reports as we have them.

Fish On!

Was out on waska this morning. We went out in front of the dnr access and ended up by lakeside. Didnt catch much of anything was the first time on waska this year and we were walking. There is a couple small permanents out. Ice in front of dnr was better than over by lakeside. As it started warming up the ice started singing real good. Most of the lake was 5-6 inches with some areas of 7. As we pulled up this morning we could see what looked like a top of a pop up shelter and talked to another angler and he said someones portable started blowing away and ended up in open water. If you look out in front of the access you will see it. Was pretty funny how the guy explained it. Theres wheelers out there but Ill wait till next weekend. Other area lakes have been pretty productive for me so far.

What is the ice thickness on Minnewaska? How much snow is on the lake? Want to to take the grand kids fishing this weekend and will need to have a shelter to keep them warm. Is the ice thick enough to pull a permenant house out on the lake?

I have not been on the ice myself as of yet...just too busy. Reports I have heard earlier this week were 7 to 8 inches of ice and I am sure it is more now with the cold temps. I will see if I can get some more info today with people coming in and out.

To me it looks like the snow blew off for the most part. My backyard looks like 4 to 5 inches of snow...but we had some pretty high winds. Usually the high winds do a good job of taking the snow off the lake. Looking out from the east shore it looks pretty smooth and you can see patches of ice where the wind blew the snow off. Reno looks really drifted in when I drove by it yesterday...a lot of big drifts.

There are many perms out already and I expect a lot more today through the weekend. A lot of ATVs but I haven't personally seen any vehicles...probably going to start seeing those as well pretty soon.

Good reports on gills and crappies. Walleyes being caught also...but walleye guys are always pretty quite. smile

That's all I got for now.

Fish On!

I was out Monday evening and there was about 6 inches out about 2 mi from Glenwood, then with the rain and snow overnite and the next morning a lot of water came up on top of the ice. After talking to a friend that was out Tuesday am we decided it was to risky to go out that evening, when it quit snowing there was a lot of water showing over the ice. Now it has gotten cold. There hasn't been much travel out there lately.

My father and I are planning on coming up this weekend for some eyes. The ice should be thick enough by this weekend to drive you think ya..?! If the temps stay as cold as they are.

I have been on 4 different lakes, big to small and none of them seem to be making very good ice right now. Some have about 2 inches of water on top that is still not frozen and then there is anywhere from 2 - 8 inches of snow. Was on a small sheltered lake last night and only 7 inches--- its been that way since the snow.

Pistol Pete what lakes you goin by? We we out from the waters edge to about 18 feet and found some action. Too bad they were all flippers. Oh well great week end to give the new fish house a test run now I know it's good for a night of -40 wind chills. Oh ya 8-9 inches on fri and about 11 in the spots we checked on sun morning.

From what my buddies have said, 10-12 inches of ice seems to be the norm on waska. They are having a good crappie and sunfish bite. Nice sized fish. Also getting an early run of walleyes in the evening.

Most reports are 12+ inches now so I think the 10-12 report earlier is pretty much on target. Getting really good crappie and gill reports as well. Good walleye report as well. More perms out there as well as small cars and trucks. I have an FL8SE Genze Pack a guy ordered but now wants another model. $289 still new in the box if anyone is interested.

Fish On!

Thanks for the report fellas! We'll be taking the truck out with the perm. Ill let you know how we do!

Use caution if you go out the Starbuck end. About 1/2 mile east of the Marina there was an area that the geese kept open. Was open water that was steaming really good last Friday. The area was a patch that ran north/south. Guessing the path the road normally goes along the outside of the fish houses will go right through this area. Am sure the local bait shop will have intel on the spot.

Not to argue but I was out there in that area last fir and had 9 inchein the afternoon. Maybe down closer to priest point?

Nope. Was standing on shore and cabin is 3/4 mile from town. It was between me and town. If you are familiar with north shore drive it is about straight out from where the old lake road transitions to the city of Starbuck, maybe a little bit to the east side of that line.

There was a guy out there in a bombadier of some type on Sunday. He was probably within a couple hundred yards of the spot. The last few days the geese were sitting there it was probably a spot about 25 yards wide and maybe 75 yards long.

Can anyone let me know if Waska will have a plowed road out of access at town or the donation box on the north end for access with a car?

If you are familiar with where the outside of the weedline is it appeared to go from about there southeast.

But I will put this disclaimer that I was looking at it from shore am making estimates. Travel in that area at your own risk.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions