• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

sacs would be on the north side of the lake just after getting off of 28 & 29 and start goin round the lake if Im correct..This would be coming from starbuck to glenwood though

Anybody know if that Sacs access is still drivable?? Or any other accesses drivable? Thinking about making a run up to their this afternoon and it would be nice to be able to drive out one more time....

Thinking about hitting it tomorrow. Can a guy still drive out? If not are there decent spots within walkable distance from shore? Thanks!

im sure you can drive I almost had to put my extension on two weeks ago should be fine if accesses aint to beat up.

Any report on ice conditions or bite? I heard they were slamming the huge gills on starbuck end. Any truth to this? How is travel for wheelers?

heard todaY NICE CRAPPIES off the dnr landing in Glenwood and some gills too but I cannot confirm as I havent fished there all winter.

usually don't post what I can't confirm, but I heard differently....but, I can't confirm that. I'm sure we all will have confirmation soon

It was a wild ride along the east shore south of Glenwood on Sunday. Lots of ice left but also lots of 10 inch deep slush/water pockets. Five guys fishing for 3-4 hrs and no keepers.

went out yesterday for a couple hours took awhile to find the fish. When we did find them they were the toughest crappies this year had to really work them and only caught them on plastics red was the color and tiniest tungsten in the box was the ticket. Had to aggrevate them to make em bite but I limited out guys I was with caught 4 fish total and most the people I talked to barely caught anything. There was a guy out there with a camera I stopped and talked to and he said there were a bunch of sunnies that wouldnt bite and the water was full of bugs. All the fish I caught were keepers except for a couple bass and one small sunny.

Clayton, sounds like you were rewarded by your efforts!!!

Was up to Glenwood Saturday and drove around the lake on the way home, why is it that all of the fishing activity is on the Glenwood end of the lake? By Starbuck, not a soul on the lake, and its been like that for a good share of the winter. Is it because of more and better accesses? Better structure?? The crowd mentality (as in theres a crowd of fisherman by Glenwood, the fish must be biting)? Just curious.

Massive shallow flat extends out from Glenwood that attracts and holds late-ice panfish.

I too haveny heard many people fishing the Starbuck end for pannies in the ice season, most are after walleyes on that end

That doesnt mean there arent opportunities there though, just need to explore a bit is all smile

Ive caught fish over by starbuck but seems to be better fishing in the winter by glenwood. Summertime is a different story tho. But yes panfish hold to the glenwood side in my opinion. Ive only been fishing waska for about 20 years grew up in glenwood and fished there everyday when I was a kid.

drove by waska yesterday and saw a ladder with plywood on it bridging the gap - must be biting? Ice out in 12 days?

Thinking about trying it one last time on Friday. Are people still getting on and how is the ice?

Anyone else have a weird year on waska? Started out ok with walleyes then slowed quickly. When I switched to panfish I had a tough time locating them. Lots of murky water on the south side (dont like fishing the crowds) and few fish on the marcum. Did find some decent sized perch scattered which was nice to see for a change on waska. Just never could find the hungry gills or crappies like I have in years past, just wondering if anyone else had the same troubles?

Anyone else have a weird year on waska? Started out ok with walleyes then slowed quickly. When I switched to panfish I had a tough time locating them. Lots of murky water on the south side (dont like fishing the crowds) and few fish on the marcum. Did find some decent sized perch scattered which was nice to see for a change on waska. Just never could find the hungry gills or crappies like I have in years past, just wondering if anyone else had the same troubles?

I didn't do as well as years past either G-hornet. I've heard others with overall poor results. I've also heard others with overall fairly decent winters. I've heard from others that have heard it was a pretty typical year.

I can't remember fishing Minnewaska fifteen years ago...but either way the fishing was excellent again. LOL

Up to beginning of January it was really good with not much trouble getting limits of crappies and gills. Then it slowed down some...but they were still down there. Lots of fish but just couldn't get them to bit...needed shrimp! smile just had to keep moving and find the active fish...then it was still good. Can't complain about the size either...just really nice healthy fish. Once the houses had to come off, then it seemed like the fish got more hungry again. Lately we have heard of a really good crappie bit with some gills as well.

Always gonna have some good days and bad days...that's fishing. I am patiently waiting for this 30 inches of ice to go away.

Fish On!

I totally disagree with the whole shrimp thing yeah they work good but you ever heard of plastics Ill fish next to you all day and either out fish you or catch the same amount. I had a helluva year this year on waska trick is learn the lake the fish are always some were and being mobile is gonna get you good numbers. I had my fiance drive all over the whole lake with me sitting on the tailgate popping holes every 50 yards one day in january. After a half hour I found some nice crappies and gills with the closest house about a 1/4 mile away. Plastics as most of you know are pretty much the go to for staying mobile yeah you can use whatever but plastics are my mobile go to. Ill be out this weekend coming up friday to see my grandpa whos about to pass away and then fishing waska all weekend. Should be an awesome day on the ice with the temps in the 60's!!!!

Whatever.... Best panfish bite in the fifteen years I have been fishing the lake

Hey, just what I heard....I must admit I didn't get out much, but times I did, not that great...but, if that was the best panfish bite in 15 years...well, then there was a lot of smoke blowing over the last 5-6 years. Not sayin it wasn't / isn't good, but remember years growing up that were overall better than last...ggod luck.

I agree with Clayton! The fish are there, you just need to find them and finesse them into committing to your presentation. Kyle, you mentioned that shrimp would have changed the success rate, and for some it may have, but the presentation has a bigger impact than bait choice.

Like Clayton, I rarely use live bait and will outfish anyone with live bait 9 times out of 10. People are often times scared to go outside the norm and shy away from traditional methods. Using plastics with success boils down to having the confidence to fish plastics and convince the fish to bite. The most common problem anglers have with plastics is fishing them like live bait. If you don't utilize your electronics, plastics aren't for you. You need to keep your bait moving away from the fish once you grab their attention. Plastics trigger a reaction bite. Keeping it away from them and simulating an escaping food source will activate their natural feeding habit. In deeper water, I tend to use small horizontal tungsten jigs and rig them with a small finesse plastic with a fine tail. Working it slowly allows for the tail to flutter and drive fish crazy!

All in all, the fishing on Minnewaska was hot all year. Put in your time, stay on the schools of fish, and try new tactics and you will consistently be on a good bite!

anyone know if the ice is off the marina yet on the starbuck end?

I Heard It Was

Lake Docktor.. Seeing as you can out fish anyone I bet u did real good fishing tournaments this year then huh?

Didn't mean I couldn't find any fish just that it took a lot more searching and finessing as you say. I also agree out fishing ANYONE using bait 9 out of 10 times is a bold statement. You should have a tv show.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions