• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

i made it up saturday for about 5 hours of wasting bait on little fish. very inactive gills and very active small perch was all i could ice. fished just off a big group near my buddies perms. drilled about 10 holes, could see gills on the camera when i checked each hole. man i tried everything. genz worms, rat finkies, bare hook, power bait, live waxies, minnow heads, crappie minnows. just couldnt get the bulls to bite. they would come in, 2-3 at a time, and just hang out. jigging no jigging, it didnt matter. then a stupid little gill or small perch would come in, slam the bait, and scare the bigger fish right out. i was surprised to see the gills lack of reaction to pike coming through on the cameras. had 7 pike swim through, and the gills only scattered 2 times. after riding out the wind for 2 hours in the portable my buddies finally showed up so we could move some houses and i finally got to fish out of the wind. the gills that hit late afternoon hit so light a spring bobber wouldnt even move. if you werent watching the camera you were not catchin fish where we were at.

My best luck has also been with the camera. Those big gills just suck it in such that you can tell with any type of strike indicator on the rod (float/spring bobber/line through fingers). When I've seen pike, no gills were to be found.

hh guide,

i understand why you deleted landr's phone number, but how can appledoorns in the milacs section get away with their " piggy perch party". not trying to start something and definately not a homer for landr, would actually be bummed out if the lake i fish in the alex area got so much attention; but certainly not fair that one person cant even give a phone number while another guy can set up an event for profit. hope it isnt because he is higher up in the hso food chain.

Was out sunday as I managed to get a late start and was fishing by 9 am, Lot of sunnies but had to sort, from 10:30 on til noonish it was 1 after another with an occasional crappie mixed in.. I ended takin 12 sunnies home and 3 crappies for a fresh fish meal for the inlaws and I.. i will get back there again this weekend.. I did notices a few houses being pulled out of Bottle Bay though. Dunno why or where they were headed. Anyone wanna go with this weekend?? preferrably sunday? lemme know here

my buddies pulled a few houses off on sunday morning, along with some other guys as well; too much slush, and with the cold temps coming, nobody wanted a mess later.

hh guide,

i understand why you deleted landr's phone number, but how can appledoorns in the milacs section get away with their " piggy perch party". not trying to start something and definately not a homer for landr, would actually be bummed out if the lake i fish in the alex area got so much attention; but certainly not fair that one person cant even give a phone number while another guy can set up an event for profit. hope it isnt because he is higher up in the hso food chain.

I believe Appledorns is an FM sponsor.

No problem on the phone number...those are the rules.

If you have noticed, I am more about getting good information out on the lake...good or bad. Waska is a good lake to go and we have room...it is good for the town and the local economy. I have spoke to other businesses in town as I play basketball with some, see others at the kids practices, others at the HS games, and other just around. These businesses REALLY appreciate your support and appreciate you visiting Glenwood and Minnewaska.

If the bite gets bad...I will be the first to tell you. I mentioned my issue with the walleye bite and got some advice...I don't know if it is good or bad advice yet...but great to get some help as well and I am happy to help others too.

I heard similar reports from others that they had to work a little harder...but the fish were on the cameras. Most contributed it to the drastic change in temp and pressure. It was a major change...some 20 to 30 degrees wasn't it? And then today right back down to minus 6...which is almost a 50 degree change. I had a girlfriend like that once. smile

I did hear of several going away from the groups but staying in the 14 to 16 foot mark and doing really well. If you have a 1 ft. contour map, you will see just how extensive of an area there is for that depth along the north shore and south shore. These are relatively untouched areas with gills that don't know what a hook looks like yet. With the warm weather, I would expect that the snow got knocked down even more...and then with these sub zero temps, it has hardened right up. Should make fore some easier getting around to try some new 16 ft. edges. That is pretty much the thing with Waska...just stay to the 14 - 16 ft. edge and you are on the weed lines where the panfish are.

Angry Irishman...nice catch! You are either good or lucky...good n'lucky?

Fish On!

I will be up this sat. morn any good places to eat before the journey. Maybe be we will get lucky and be able to travel around the lake without difficulty.I'll be in to see you & hopefully get some info.and bait. I have an h20c and have found what i think will be a good night spot for walleyes. Don't know if I'll be able to make it all day and night. I just wanted an opinion from the local pro.I haven't seen a real nice sunny for awhile.Hopefully we can catch some.

Tom's (supermarket) has a deli with a hot breakfest...last time I was there I got a plate full for a good price. I know a lot of the locals meet there in the morning...and often shake to see who pays for breakfest if you dare to do that with them. Otherwise there is the Gingerbread House just north of the stop lights. My experience is that the sunfish don't really get going until about 10 am...but there are some morning walleyes around.

We can compare notes on your walleye idea. I have a few spots that I would like some people to check out as well...there are some nice "troughs" as I call them that are just small depressions up from deeper water. It is my opion that these slightly deeper spots are void of weeds (because they are slightly deeper) along weed lines. Walleyes will bounce along the weed edges until they find these troughs or walleye trails and then move up through them. Just my thought but when I have found them...they seem to work well.

See ya then.

Fish On!

Not sure if they're open for breakfast, but I'm partial (fast food-wise) the the A&W before you go down the hill into town. Great chicken and burgers. M'waska house and Lakeside also have great food, but don't think they have breakfast.

Don't know anything about the cafe in town, but I'm betting it's good, as most small town cafe's are. Good luck.

I don't know about shakin with them locals.A few years back I had some locals teach me a new card game called sheepshead.It was the funnest card game I ever played and the locals loved me if you know what i mean.LOL!

The best bite has been from before sunrise to just after and then again right before dark. The daytime bite has been very poor with the exception of a walleye/pike here or there. Haven't had the all day action of most, but haven't had to sort through the small fish either.

By the way, Landdr..............I am lucky! In fact, bought a $2 dollar scratch off last night and won 8 times on the same ticket.......won $25.

Landdr I'm curious how is the snow cover over there is and can a car get around well? Plowed roads? Get away from crowds, or enough room to park on the side of a plowed road?

The majority are saying that the snow cover really packed down and now has frozen hard. Just had a guy in that said he was going to hire me to take my tractor out to dig out his house...but was able to drive on the snow pack now and pulled it right out.

You should find it easier to get around now. However...there are still the occassional drifts, etc. out there. Just have to keep an eye out. I also think the farther out you get, the more wind swept and cleaner it is.

Should be a good opportunity to search out some new areas. I sent a couple groups out to new areas today to try it and see what they get. Another guy is going to check out an nice "trough" tomorrow south of Crappie Town to see if the crappies and gills are on that side of the ridge versus the Crappie Town side. I am excited to see how he does as there are two really nice troughs if he can find them. I'm giving him my GPS to help locate the spots. Should be able to get him within a few feet anyway.

Up to 10 F today! Whahooo...only up from here to 20s and 30s this weekend!

Hey! Winterama is coming up! They are still looking for some more "polar plungers". Should be a fun weekend with all the events so try to make it out if you can.

Even more fun...the Hunts Resort 4th Annual Ice Golf - Feb 28th. You won't want to miss this one. It is a 14 hole course starting at Hunts Resort with the half way point at Torgy's (warming house). One club, one tennis ball (illegal to manipulate the ball!), one sled and pack as much beverage on your sled. Entry fee is $15 but it is 100% payout. Teams of 4. FYI...I got the first ever hole-in-one last year! It was a hoot. To register, call, email me or stop in. We are trying to get a camera crew there this year because this is just too fun.

Also...Judd Hoos is playing at the Minnewaska House this Saturday. The rock the house! Everyone I know if planning on going. My wife is throwing a "Pre-Hoos" party...but I don't think she would be happy if everyone on this forum showed up at her house...just have to see you at Waska House. smile Guaranteed great time! In fact...put your fish house out on School Bar or School Point...fish...walk to Waska House...party...stumble back to fish house for night bite.

That is a plan!

Fish On!

Fished all day today - the early morning bite was good, but after that it was slow. There were just too many pike today - they were coming through on the camera consistent. We would start to catch a couple gills and then they would just take off - every time a pike showed up within a minute or two. Most of the gills came off the camera - very light bite.

FI

Are you seeing many decent sized pike?? They might mess with the panfish ice bite at times, but I believe they are vital to the panfish fishery.

If we don't have enough support for more walleye restrictions, I think Pike would be a good place to start. Minnewaska isn't Mille Lacs, but, the DNR imposed pike restrictions long before the tighter walleye regs, for good reason, I believe. If the "apex" fishery is healthy, it goes along way in keeping the rest of the lake in balance.

Sorry, got a bit off the panfish reports. Just curious how many nice / big pike are being seen this winter.

Anywhere from little weed sharks up to about 4 or 5 pounds I'd say. I just called a couple guys that are fishing out of my house this morning - they are doing well - They've only seen one pike this morning and that's helping with the bluegill bite.

FI

Thanks Mike,

Thanks about par with what I was seeing early ice. Was C&Ring big ones though last fall. Maybe they were flukes, but seemed like too many to be flukes. Good luck.

goose 89,

Just curious how big the pike were. About the biggest I put back last summer was one about 12-14lbs. Most that I caught were the typical 4-5lbs as stated earlier. Just curious..........

I didn't weigh any of them. But last fall I caught and released several mid 30"s and one fat 39"er. No pix, unfortunately. Great memories though.

Anything happening this week with the warmer weather? I'm heading up this weekend to help the folks and I want to get out one day to bring home some sunnies and crappies.

was there yesterday and we got a lot of sunnies but had to sort thru to get about 16 for 3 guys in 4 hours.

The bite has been pretty steady for sunfish. Bigger ones seem to be more agressive in the morning and evening...then pick through them during the day. Some nice reports down by Priest's Point as well.

Still a lot of pike moving the sunfish around...so you will get some fish and then it will stop for awhile until the pike move them back around. Some of the bigger sunfish hang around that are not really bothered by the sunfish.

Looks to be great weather and a nice weekend on the ice.

Fish On!

The bite was tough today. Lots of fish around, but most would not bite. It was a complete circus out there today and I think that might have had something to do with it. I think I'll wait till during the week to give it another try.

FI

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Just got back and we caught a pile of gills out there today. We fished the edges of the weeds outside of the groups and marked alot of fish, they were pretty negative but we iced a few.After a slow hour or so I thought what the heck, I had some waypoints shallower(9-10FT)that I have done well on yrs past, so we opted to head to these and bang game on. We caught numereous gilLs and a few nice crappies. These fish were alot more aggressive as they haven't seen alot of pressure yet. No one fishing within a 1'2 mile of us and no holes anywhere near.

If I were going this weekend I wouldn't be afraid to get away from the group and try some shallower water.Everyone is heading to the cluster and the gills have adapted to the pressure. Minnewaska is big with bunches of weed beds. By hitting some of this untouched water you may land on a good pod that is very eager to hit a jig as we did today!

Just got back and we caught a pile of gills out there today. We fished the edges of the weeds outside of the groups and marked alot of fish, they were pretty negative but we iced a few.After a slow hour or so I thought what the heck, I had some waypoints shallower(9-10FT)that I have done well on yrs past, so we opted to head to these and bang game on. We caught numereous gilLs and a few nice crappies. These fish were alot more aggressive as they haven't seen alot of pressure yet. No one fishing within a 1'2 mile of us and no holes anywhere near.

If I were going this weekend I wouldn't be afraid to get away from the group and try some shallower water.Everyone is heading to the cluster and the gills have adapted to the pressure. Minnewaska is big with bunches of weed beds. By hitting some of this untouched water you may land on a good pod that is very eager to hit a jig as we did today!

you stole the words right out of my mouth. thats exactly what i plan on doing tomorrow if i can get away from the girlfriend for a few hours! umpteen miles of unfished weedlines yet everybody has to be piled on 3 spots!

Landrr, Im comin up sunday, you think it would be wise to go where I first went lookin for 12 ft of water and just was in the wrong spot and got all the perch?? NOBODY is fishing there so there wouldnt be any pressure, just want ur opinion and save me some waxies and eurolarva for sunday!! Ps are you gonna polar plunge too?? if you are I may do it again this yr.. lol

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions