• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Ya, was wondering the same thing. Ice down around us is going to [PoorWordUsage]. Was thinking about trying it up there this weekend if you still have good ice. Thanks

I personally havent been on the lake yet, but just talked to a guy who said his uncle was out by minnewaska house and had 7-8 inches of ice

50 mph winds forecast for tonight and tomorrow, Might not be a bad idea to take houses of the lake if you don't want them flooded or on the south shore. Happy New Year!

Two of us out on Priest Point Saturday. Ice is 9 1/2 to 10 inches. Caught two small Northerns but not much showing up on the Vex. Ice is stacked up along the shore in the bay. Also fished west of there but caught nothing. Decided to leave when the wind tried to pushed us off the lake.

I tried Crappie town last thursday. Wound up with a mixed bag of crappies and sunfish. Threw back quite a few fish. The key was using a small hook.

How about any reports on the conditions of the accesses to get on the lake. I have used the beach and the ballroom this year. Last time I checked neither were in very good condition. Saw yet another 4-wheeler trying to pull a wheel house on via the beach and he was stuck in the sand. That is at least the fourth person I have seen get stuck trying to do so.

As for the bite, they are biting just have to find them.

Came off the beach last night had to find a new way off the ice buckled down and put about 15 inches of water over a 10 foot sheet of ice dont think that will be good til it gets cold again oh wait it hasnt got cold yet

The city worked on both accesses and both are operational but it's day to day with the ice changing......took my house out at the Ballroom today and one wheel went down through the ice..was able to skid it off but it caused some unexpected activity.....fished for 4 hours..1 pike 3 nice crappies sunfish everywhere but we had no larva or shrimp and 2 missed fish ..probably 5 lb walleyes haha. the warm weather makes it hazardous but comfortable and fun on the ice...no problem with ice out on the lake just on the shorelines..........very few vehicles on the ice.

Where is Bottle Bay everyone is talking about? Anyone catching any panfish? If so how deep and what tackle.

Hunt's Resort has the best access on the Glenwood side...the main beach and ballroom access are being made difficult by nature although the city is doing a good job to keep them safe. The DNR landing is unusable but the east end is ok for ATV's....some vehicles are driving on the ice but not me even though I have an older truck....fishing has been pretty good with lots of action..seems like the fish are everywhere. be careful, bring chains and spikes on your boots. Also unfrozen holes in the ice are everywhere and until it gets colder those might be a hazard for foot traffic at night like me.

Saw three houses by Starbuck where one side fell in overnight. If a person had fresh holes that haven't froze over it would be a good idea to check your house, its no fun trying to chisel out a house that is frozen in.

Nice Catch!

I'll take that over that guy down in Mazatlan Mexico any day!

I just got 10 gallons of Freshwater Shrimp in the store today and would like you to try some on the crappies to see what they do. If you would like...stop by and I will give you a scoop and let me know what they do.

Fish On!

Can you post a pic showing them and the size they are??

had a few different 1/2 ton trucks come in and park right by us tonight; I measured 10" of ice; lots of pike action on the glenwood side today, but everything else was really lazy; lots of sniffers, walleyes, crappies, and gills. had to go through 10 different lures just to ice any particular fish. caught a 32" pike on a tiny genz worm tipped with two maggots on two pound test line. That was fun. smile

Landr that kid hasn't been the only one. I caught a 16" while fishing sunnies on a wax worm last winter.

Budzers...they range from quarter inch to half inch in size. Most of them are going to be in that quarter to three eights size. We haven't been able to harvest them yet due to the ice conditions. If you do an internet search on freshwater shrimp, scuds or gammerus, you will find several good photos.

Ice is holding up...not making any and just maintaining...mostly 10 to 11 inches reported. Accesses can change daily but looked descent when I last looked at the Glenwood Beach, Lakeside Ballroom and DNR access. Doesn't take much time to just drive to each one and take a look to see what one you like best since they are within a couple miles of each other.

I am hearing mixed reports...some are doing really well on gills and crappies and others are finding finiky fish. A lot of pike for sure. Most are still reporting 3 or more walleyes and descent sizes. Good places to target would be out from Lakeside Ballroom, end of Crappie Town and School Bars.

Fish On!

Where are the northerns bitting on waska

I've caught them anywhere from 7 foot to 20 foot so far this winter. Many different parts of the lake. Jigging, Shiner on a rattle reel, minnow head on spoon, tip up, Pretty consistent size of about 24-26", but plenty of bigger ones too.

How are the walleye and crappie bites? Any specific lures or colors working better than others? Thinking about heading up this weekend. thanks.

Is the main choice of transportation wheelers at this point? Looking to visit grandma and maybe fish a little on Waska over the weekend.

Is the main choice of transportation wheelers at this point? Looking to visit grandma and maybe fish a little on Waska over the weekend.

Depends if you like driving a car or truck on 10-12" of ice or not.

Does anyone have a report on the conditions of Hunts, DNR, Ballroom, or Beach access?

DNR landing was in really rough shape on saturday; One guy told me a wheeler and house busted through right at the ramps on friday. Everybody I saw come off DNR was going off the backside with wheelers and portables. The resort access to the west looked to be in good shape with a few trucks coming out from there.

Moved a couple times yesterday caught a lot of little northerns, and only saw a few sunfish that seemed lazy and disinterested. Also spent the night in 15 fow hoping for a walleye but no such luck. Saw lots of newer half-ton pickups on 11.5 - 12 inches of ice.

Heading down to Lake Minnewaska in Glenwood. Does anyone know if they are driving vehicles on the lake? Ice has been pretty good on the lake.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions