• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

It is a tough crowd...but usually just a crowd of two or three however. smile Some people have nothing better to do. It is a fishing report forum...leave it at that or just leave it.

Had a "little" time so I hit the beach again...it is my decompression time. smile Fished for 50 minutes...walleye fished for 50 minutes.

Had three on and lost every one of them just before landing them. All were hooked with last treble...can't they get a couple more hooks please. All were in that 15 to 16 inch range from what I can tell. I would think that live bait would work well...I would like to try that but I think I would fall asleep watching the bobber...casting keeps me awake. One of these nights I'm going to get the boat out but would rather have a chop than flat water with the boat. Maybe tomorrow night I will venture out to other shallows I like to hit.

Tonight was a little different...no moon and no shiners running. I was also about 2 hours earlier than I have been in the past few days. I am not going to stay up to check the theory.

Fish On!

Strange that that are very few boats on Waska. Last night only 1 on the HS point. This morning only mine. Water temp is 56 degrees now, weeds emerging in 15 feet. Few shiners in the shallows. Caught only LM and Ns and looking for Ws post spawn.

Yep I know were that is too caught a 30 incher there two years ago and many others

• 3 weeks later...

What going on on waska now? We are from nw iowa coming up on vacation this friday. Are the perch and bluegills hitting yet? How about walleye are the still hot or are they about done? How have northern been lately we haven't been there in a few years.

What going on on waska now? We are from nw iowa coming up on vacation this friday. Are the perch and bluegills hitting yet? How about walleye are the still hot or are they about done? How have northern been lately we haven't been there in a few years.

My step-father and his friend were catching walleye off the dock on sunday evening right before dark. So there are still some walleye moving up shallow to feed.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the word on the lake lately? Headed up next wednesday night for a week. Can't wait!

It's just been plain cr***y weather. Not a lot of people fishing and therefore not a lot of reports. I finally got out on Father's Day...took a break...got a few eyes and a lot of pike and bass. Caught a lot of fish with the boys so that was the goal.

It's almost like fall fishing out there with this weather. I would still start shallow and work your way out. Morning and evening are still the best but we caught eyes during the day as well. Night fishing has been the best.

Panfish are always good on Waska so same report on those.

Fish On!

Any reports on walleye action on Waska or Emily? Caught a few 2 weekends ago but havn't been out since. Want to spend some of this long weekend with the kids on the water.

Finally some descent weather...and over the weekend for a change. Waska was just fantastic. People coming in where happy with the panfish bite and lots of action with the bass and pike as well. Just hard to beat Waska for shear numbers of fish to catch and multi species.

Saturday I spend on Osakis at the in-laws. Did some tubing and got in about 3 hours of fishing. I tried shallow, mid-depth and deeper...tried south end, middle and north end...not a strike. I am sure there were fish to be caught but I didn't find any.

Sunday we finally got out on Waska after opening the store in the morning. My father said to try 8 fow for the eyes so that is where we started. Right away we started picking up bass and pike...and of course my wife kept score. (since she had more fish than I did) Just a half hour into it I pulled up at nice eye and a few more passes we had some nice fish in the well for supper. Plan was to meet everyone at the cabin for a fish fry around 5pm so we quit fishing and heading there. Pretty nice bite for top of the afternoon and we made plans to go out again the next day.

Monday I opened the store and we got the kids to the parents so we could hit the lake again. Started at the beach in 8 fow and picked up four 12 to 13 inchers. Fun to catch but we were looking for something bigger so we headed down to where we end the previous day. It wasn't 5 minutes and we had our first 15". We fished for about 3 hours or so and ended up with 6 eyes in the well. Got some nice bass and pike in the mix as well. Again we ran in 8 fow during the top of the afternoon.

6.4.11%20walleyes%20-%202.jpg

6.4.11%20walleyes%20-%206.jpg

My wife loves catching walleyes so she had a great couple days on the lake.

Fish On!

Would you mind telling me what lures were used?

Spinners and crawlers or leeches or crank baits?

Also, what hours are you open during the week for bait and things?

Thanks

Hi All! New to the lake headed up for a little family time never been on the lake. I have been looking at some maps and picking out a few spots i would like to try we will be up there on the 23rd for a week. I am looking for any info on bait selection? sounds like there is a good number of shiners in the lake? they hitting raps or lindy? how is jigging going I will have 6 little ones oldest is 10 youngest is 1 can anyone point me in a direction where we might have some good Panny action. Thanks!

Just put some kind of a worm down most places on that lake it seems like you'll catch sunfish. I haven't fished it for a couple of years, but when I'd fish crawlers for walleyes they'd reek havoc with those.

We pounded bass and gills from Thursday through Wednesday. Didn't matter if we were fishing for walleyes or actually targeting the panfish. Kept a few bass and gills and pike here and there saturday and sunday and had a great fish fry monday afternoon. Couldn't get the walleyes to bite; sounds like we were too deep; but when we worked cranks in the shallows all we picked up were pike.

the "eater" sized bass were hitting the panfish leaches; the big girls were hitting spinner baits. Boated 3 largemouth over 19" and 1 smallmouth that went 18.75. My thumb is raw...

Took a couple of customers out yesterday from 3 to 5:30pm...6 eyes and kept 4 in the 15 to 17 inch range. Threw some bass and pike back as well but a fun few hours on the lake.

walleyes%207.8.11%202.jpg

Walleyes seem to be pretty aggressive and I think would take live bait and cranks. Doesn't seem to be any special time either...all day they can be picked up. Picked up some nice gills as well but they went back for another day.

Fish On!

I'd suggest leeches as a good overall bait. You can troll spinners with them and catch all species. Crawlers just get torn up by small sunfish. Fish the weed edges 15-17 fow for some good action. Seems like the bigger sunnies are roving deeper. The W's are shallower than you think. Good luck!

Trolled lead core from 11am to 2pm over the weed tops in 20-22 fow near the high school.

Good action for Pike and Largemouth, no walleyes.

Went back out at night and did the same thing from 9pm-11pm.

1 Walleye, that was it.

I'd suggest leeches as a good overall bait. You can troll spinners with them and catch all species. Crawlers just get torn up by small sunfish. Fish the weed edges 15-17 fow for some good action. Seems like the bigger sunnies are roving deeper. The W's are shallower than you think. Good luck!

Gulp! crawlers on a spinner...... They work.

Thursday evening and night i will be heading to the area and am thinking about heading to reno doing some night fishing, a few years ago we did really good night fishing for eyes there but i realize that the fishing has been far from hot for eyes there with so many small perch was just looking for some input on if i should head to reno or would minnewaska be a good direction to go to instead for some afternoon/early night eyes

well no response and i made a few phone calls and found some people who had been on reno recently a group of 2 didnt get any eyes one day and a group of 3 another day they got 2 so slow there and with thunderstorms in the forcast i dont think im heading out

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions