• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

basssmasher*

I'm going early tomorrow am.. u got my cell number... gimme a text!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Starbuck Marina is a really nice landing...smooth concrete and deep water. Parking is pretty good but might be tight on the opener. There might be some off parking with a little walk. It is sheltered from the wind which makes loading and unloading great. I believe it is one boat at a time.

Glenwood Beach is a nice landing but can be shallow for some of the bigger boats. Limited parking but some park on the grass or park across the hwy in the ballfield parking which has lots of room. Wind can be an issue. Two boats at a time.

DNR Landing is a very good landing...smooth concrete with good depth for the bigger boats. Good parking but might be tight on the opener. Might be able to park at the DNR or off street with a little walk. Two boats at a time and is also mostly sheltered from wind.

I think you are going to find walleyes all over the lake...deeper, on structure and in shallow. I am going shallow as the walleyes like feeding on the running shiners around this time of year. Waska has a great walleye population and great year class structure...you may catch anything from 10 to 12 inches to 28 or even over 30 inches. The walleyes on Waska are well fed...very fat and happy...so these are great looking fish! I am sure there will be plenty of pike on the prowl as well.

Fish On!

Rookie13

What effect will the high water levels have on Waska fishing for the opener?

carpmanjake

got my first minnewaska smallie today, and a bunch of other big largemouths! no pike tho... saw one guy hook a big one while going for walleye, but broke off

full-27194-8652-229372_10150185945734934

Not many of boats on Waska over the weekend. Coming down the hill Sunday afternoon I didn't see one boat on School Point which is really odd. There were a few more pre-fishing boats out Sunday afternoon but far from packed. Due to the low number of boats on the lake, there were not many fishing reports back in either.

I fished off the beach after closing just after midnight Friday night. We managed a couple of eyes and a few misses as well. Pretty chilly out and a long day so we headed home.

Fish On!

carpmanjake

got a few walleyes, and a couple pike yesterday, lost a pike that would have gone over 12 easy.

alot of bass like this big girl too

full-27194-8724-bass.jpg

pike were caught ripping lippless cranks in firetiger, or silver. walleyes on jigs tipped with 3" gulp ALIVE! minnows.

There were a few more pre-fishing boats out Sunday afternoon....

Pre-fishing for what??

walleyestealer

i think all the walleyes in minnewaska are gone. thanks for the overfishing, too many tournaments. it will be good again in 10 years

walleyestealer

3 of us caught 15 walleys, keepers, 15-20 inchers, sunday. and a couple 10 inch sunnies pulling a harness with spinner.

Minnewaska Walleye Classic on May 21-22.

Nope...still walleyes in the lake. They have fins and move to different spots...requires finding new spots to fish and maybe changing a little on how they are fished.

I see more walleyes on my camera in the winter than I have ever ever seen in my life. There are a lot of walleyes in the lake...just harder to catch because they have changed and it requires changing with them. There are also a lot more forage in the lake. Waska walleyes are some of the fattest roundest walleyes I have ever seen!

Makes me hungry thinking about it...I think I am going to head out fishing for awhile. smile

Fish On!

Back with the report...3 walleyes in the pail...all about 16...one getting close to 17. Lost 2 lifting them out of the water...need to bring the net next time...that would have been 5 in the pail. Several strikes and a couple fish on but lost.

Not bad for an hour of fishing. I gotta plant corn in the morning so I'm head'in to bed.

Fish On!

Thats interesting Landdr, I was out there last night for 3 hours and caught one. We talked to 3 other boats for a grand total of 2 other fish caught and 2 bites... Also, the Minnewaska spring walleye classic is no more. Never got off the ground for the first year, and from the rumor mill, I'd say we wont need to be worrying about a fall walleye classic this year either, after last years debaukle, nobody from around here will be giving him money again.

I took a quick photo...not the best quality but shows the fish anyway.

walleyes%205.16.11.jpg

Vexipro...not sure where you are fishing or how. I just do what works for me. I keep it pretty simple...most of the time it works but sometimes it doesn't.

Fish On!

Angry  Irishman

Any reports from Lake Emily or Long Lake? I will be up there Friday thru Sunday. Looking more for water temps than anything.

cvanderweyst

vexipro- I hope the people that did sign up for the classic get there money back. It is too bad that tournament is ruined. maybe someone else will take it over someday.

Well that's the first I heard the tournament wasn't on...sorry about that. I guess that explains why he hasn't been by to put up a flier. My partner and I decided not to enter because my spring is way too busy and he has a lot of projects as well...fall just works better for us.

I hope they get their money back as well. That would be a shame if they didn't.

Fish On!

Two 15 inchers tonight...threw two smaller ones back...had close to a dozen strikes and a couple on. For fish that make their living out of catching small fish to eat, these fish don't seem to have the target right for my rap.

Only fished for a half hour...long day.

Fish On!

Landrr, what are your views on the MLA? I tried to send you a PM, but your PM box is full.

I really don't know a whole lot about what they do except that they release additional walleyes into the lake. They have an annual fundraiser to generate funds for more walleyes for Waska...have to compliment them for that. I don't know if they are too political or if they do much for education to landowners within the watershed on how to take care of the lake...I would like to see more of that since a lake is a byproduct of it's watershed.

A representative of MLA just dropped off some flyers but I haven't had time to read them yet to learn more about the organization. We do sell memberships for them along with the MLA sticker.

From what I have seen, it is a good organization to support...they are trying and as volunteers that is about as much as we can do.

If anyone wants a membership to MLA, just let us know next time you are in.

Fish On!

I know of several people that have not gotten their money back, despite repeated attempts.

fishingfool

Anyone willing to elaborate on what happened with the classic for those of usnot in the know?

Thanks

He didnt pay anyone last fall. People had to hunt him down and shake him down to get a check

smileoutthere

Two 15 inchers tonight...threw two smaller ones back...had close to a dozen strikes and a couple on. For fish that make their living out of catching small fish to eat, these fish don't seem to have the target right for my rap.

Only fished for a half hour...long day.

Fish On!

Man...wish I knew where you were fishing and how. Caught four fish...lost two that were on...and missed close to a dozen strikes (let's call it 10)...all in a half hour. That would be a total of 16 "strikes" in 30 minutes. I was going to try and go catch some panfish...but sounds like I should switch over to walleyes for the real action.

wetaline1

Jeez Landdr those fish look like they've been dead since the pre-fish on Friday...

Who goes walleye fishing for just 30 minutes?? especially when you get just shy of a hundred bites

Heard almost every other lake produced fish so far this year.

cvanderweyst

he also changed the entry fee about a month before the tourney and promised refunds of the diffrence. Needless to say i havent seen a check yet

Who goes walleye fishing for just 30 minutes? Me. With my spring schedule and the store, the only time I have to fish is at night and only as long as I can stay awake. smile

I put the fish on ice cuz I was too tired to clean them at 1am after being out on prescribed fire all day. Cleaned them in the morning. What's the issue...again?

Were I am fishing? No secret...I tell people to go shallow, especially with the full moon. Shiners are running and the eyes are active. I use an F11 Vampire which mimics the lake shiner. Both nights I have been the only one out there...get off the computer and go fishing. smile

Fish On!

pushbutton

Man, tough crowd up here some days............I don't fish for walleyes much, but when I do, usually do so at dusk/night. This is when the fish are actively feeding and choice of bait and presentation is not as important. And yes, will often catch 2 through 4 fish in very quick manner; also in the spring and fall you do not even need to get in a boat to do so. If I am in a boat will actally often beach it on the shore and work out towards the lake pitching or cranking.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some good walleye fishing this week.  As many summer weeks, it was helpful to be versatile.  On the big lake, sometimes you have to play the wind, meaning, you have to be flexible where you fish.  
      The fish were there and some great catches this week.  Most fishing in 25-33 feet.  Some are still jigging.  Frozen shiners and leeches were both good this week.  With water temps in the mid to upper 60's, leeches and crawlers will heat up.  
      Spinners (otherwise called harnesses) with minnows, leeches or crawlers were all effective this week.  It is good to mix up colors and bait until you find the right mix.  Gold, glow, pink, orange, chartreuse or a combo of them are good colors in stained water. 
      More and more anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  Some have been trolling cranks since the opener but it seems most anglers wait till the water warms.  A great method to cover water and find cooperative fish.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good summer fishing reports from the river.  Walleyes being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  Current breaks and holes holding most fish.  
      Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, current breaks, bridge embankments and weed edges.  Lots of bass in the river.  Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs are good lures to start with.  
      Pike are adjacent to weedlines, in slack water areas and in bays.  Working shorelines whether trolling or casting will normally produce nice fish.
      Sturgeon anglers, mark your calendars, sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be strong up at the Angle.  Fish coming from literally 5-33' of water.  Not every walleye is keying on the same food sources.  With structure, rocks, and mud, lots of variety at the Angle.  Jigging, spinners and cranks all producing. 
      Muskie season opens Saturday, June 19th.  Lots of nice fish already caught unintentionally as these predators like to eat.  Muskie anglers were forced to fish MN waters last year with the border closure were happily surprised with the size and quantity of fish on the MN side.  This year should be good.
      Pike hanging out in weedy bays.  Smallmouth relating to rocky points and reefs.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Jaroberts28
      By Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy. 
      Thanks,
      Andy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.

Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf. 

As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes were active this week.  Some warm weather hit the north country and the fish responded nicely.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged or drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler in 15-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Snelled spinners or harnesses work well all summer into the fall and also is a really good way to cover water.  They are also versatile as they can be fished shallow to deep.  1.0 - 1.25 mph is a good speed, as long as the spinner is spinning.
      Colors to start out with... hammered gold by itself or with another color, pink, glow red, orange and chartreuse.  All good colors in the stained waters.
      Trolling crankbaits is gaining steam with very good results.  A great way to cover water.  Get the lure where walleyes are living and hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleye fishing on the river.  Most anglers fishing the river are locals or folks with smaller boats or on windy days.  Although many walleyes head back to the lake after the spawn, not all do!   There is 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale which is 26 miles east of Baudette.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow with spinners and crankbaits starting to perform well.  
      Multispecies in the river.  Smallmouth bass in rocky or slack water areas.  Pike in bays.  Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 14-25 feet of water.  A lot of fish being caught in the mud, but plenty around structure as well.
      Jigging with a minnow and drifting with spinners the go to methods.  Not as many anglers pulling crankbaits but they are working.  Much like the south end, Gold or gold mixed with another color has been effective this week.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mastercaster
      By Mastercaster
      Anyone been out to Elephant lake lately? Water level up/down? Having any luck?
      The East Coast Boys will be heading up this Friday and on the Lake by Saturday (27th year), don't worry Russ & BR we will save a few for you (kinda like the backrow boys)................

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Finally got out Thursday morning to wet a line. Pretty slow. Got 1 bass, 1 northern and a big catfish.  First time getting a cat there. Pulled like crazy and for some reason my dragged decided not to work properly. Luckily I didn’t break the line.  Lots of weeds floating at access. Had to do a lot of cleaning when I loaded up. Big thank you to the young lady checking for AIS. She helped get the weeds off, then I power washed it at home.  Good luck everyone.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some excellent walleye fishing this week.  Guides did a nice job of being versatile a couple of days when the wind really blew.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Never discount trolling.  Some good reports of trolling crankbaits with very good results.  A great way to cover water where walleyes are living.  Mix up cranks with different shapes, sizes, wobbles and colors until you get dialed in.  Good to have everyone in the boat with a different lure to start out.
      Some popular crankbait colors to start out with...  pink UV Firetiger, Firetiger, chrome / blue, gold / orange.
      More big pike surprised unsuspecting walleye anglers this week.  When you get hooked up, hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river in 8-15 feet of water.  A nice alternative to the lake for smaller boats and big blow days.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Spinners with crawlers and crankbaits are also a good option to cover water.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  Summer sturgeon fishing doesn't get attention due to walleyes but it is productive and fun.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 13-20 feet of water.  Anchored around neck down areas with a bit of current, points and around shoreline structure producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold / chartreuse is a good color this week.  Gold, glow colors and brighter colors in the stained waters are a solid choice.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, south shore of Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      I only had a very short amount of time to fish this morning, so I went to the Apple River. Even though it’s pretty close, I never go here for the simple fact, the fishing is no good! I’m just amazed at the lack of fish holding structure this particular stretch has (Star Prairie). There’s no riffles, pools, boulders, undercut banks, nothing! It’s just fast water! I did catch 1 little rainbow, and lost 2 others. So it was nice to see at least a little sign of life in Apple.

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of walleye fishing.  Jigging with a frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-25 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Some anglers locating fish shallow, especially in current areas or on a wind blown shoreline.  There are also good numbers of fish being caught anchored up in deeper water.  Different schools of walleyes are often tuned in to different bait, hence, not all walleyes are doing the same thing.  It is good to trust your electronics, try an area and if no luck, move on.  
      Jig colors, gold, orange, glow, pink, chartreuse or a mix of these colors on the same jig.
      Some good reports of trolling crankbaits where walleyes are roaming.  Crankbaits allow you to cover water and put your lure in front of a lot of walleyes.  Trolling shorelines, even if nobody else is, can produce good results.
      As is the case in a strong pike fishery, some big pike being caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  Many pike over 40 inches boated this week.
      On the Rainy River...   There is always a resident population of walleyes that live in the river even after the annual spawning run is over.  Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river.  
      Most are still jigging with a minnow.  Try current breaks or holes in the stretch of river you are fishing.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale 30 miles east of Baudette.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing this past week around the Angle.  Fish coming from 5 - 25 feet of water.  A big variance but fish the goto spots.  Neck down areas with a bit of current, points and deep edges of bays producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold and brighter colors in the stained waters have worked well.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Itasca county sunfish for supper.
    • Wanderer
      It’s a pretty good bass. 👍
    • Kettle
      Welcome Neiljack!
    • Neiljack
      I think 3500 lbs is too much.  Trailer your boat and head to a large open parking lot to practice accelerating, coming to a complete stop, making turns, and backing up. So if you are perfect in it then you should trailer it yourself otherwise there are some hauling company for boat. The more you practice handling your vehicle with your boat in tow, the more comfortable you will feel on the open road.
    • Neiljack
      Hello guys, sorry if i place my intro at wrong place because navigation was tough for me.
    • EyeWannabee
      Short arms make em look like 4# instead of 2 and 3# 😂
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some good walleye fishing this week.  As many summer weeks, it was helpful to be versatile.  On the big lake, sometimes you have to play the wind, meaning, you have to be flexible where you fish.   The fish were there and some great catches this week.  Most fishing in 25-33 feet.  Some are still jigging.  Frozen shiners and leeches were both good this week.  With water temps in the mid to upper 60's, leeches and crawlers will heat up.   Spinners (otherwise called harnesses) with minnows, leeches or crawlers were all effective this week.  It is good to mix up colors and bait until you find the right mix.  Gold, glow, pink, orange, chartreuse or a combo of them are good colors in stained water.  More and more anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  Some have been trolling cranks since the opener but it seems most anglers wait till the water warms.  A great method to cover water and find cooperative fish.   On the Rainy River...   Some good summer fishing reports from the river.  Walleyes being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  Current breaks and holes holding most fish.   Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, current breaks, bridge embankments and weed edges.  Lots of bass in the river.  Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs are good lures to start with.   Pike are adjacent to weedlines, in slack water areas and in bays.  Working shorelines whether trolling or casting will normally produce nice fish. Sturgeon anglers, mark your calendars, sturgeon season opens again July 1st.   Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be strong up at the Angle.  Fish coming from literally 5-33' of water.  Not every walleye is keying on the same food sources.  With structure, rocks, and mud, lots of variety at the Angle.  Jigging, spinners and cranks all producing.  Muskie season opens Saturday, June 19th.  Lots of nice fish already caught unintentionally as these predators like to eat.  Muskie anglers were forced to fish MN waters last year with the border closure were happily surprised with the size and quantity of fish on the MN side.  This year should be good. Pike hanging out in weedy bays.  Smallmouth relating to rocky points and reefs. With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.   1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.      
    • PSU
      Does anyone have someone to recommend for mowing paths/lawn on an island (Frazer\Smarts Bay)?   I only have a DR Brush Mower system I am using right now (been through 2 old hand me down mowers (I'd love to get rid off, one is a John Deere).   Thanks for any insight   Andy 
    • Jaroberts28
      I wonder why the DNR still list Atlantic salmon??
    • SkunkedAgain
      Wow - that bass in the top pick is almost as big as you   😏

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.