• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

What access is best for driving out as of today? Any nice perch biting, or tullies/perch on other lakes in the area?

My buddy called me from the lake this morning, said there were 10 or more trucks parked out from Lakeside; also said that Sac's landing had a gate across it.

good day on the lake today; got to get my brother on some crappies. He caught a lot of small fish using a small float and small jig with euro's, I caught my limit of crappies and 11 gills hole hopping every 2-3 minutes using a spring bobber. the first fish out of a hole always seemed to be a crappie, then a nice gill would hit, then nothing but 4-5" gills after that. as soon as I caught a small gill, it was on to the next hole.

Funniest part of the day was seeing my buddy staring up at a flock of canadas and getting crapped on. shocked

carp, that was my pattern the other day as well, 1st 1 or 2 fish were crappies then a nice gill or 2 then tater chip sunnies, I also had to hole hop to find consistantly bigger fish. Kept 3 crappies and 5 sunnies for a meal 4 myself, and let the rest go, but it was fun!! Whoever posted about sacs landing having a gate, they are correct, however if you drive another 100 feet or so, people are driving on right there, dunno the name of the landing if there is one though.

Boy,I think in 10 to 12 day's if the temps stay where they are.

Sniffer

At the sport show all week/weekend but did get the photo from WT...had some trouble with the view of the first pic so he sent me another one.

bluegill%2010%20inch%20ben%204.4.11.jpg

This looks like a solid 10" and maybe a little more if the tail was pinched.

WT...you should post that you solemnly swear this gill was caught on Minnewaska, date, solar time, GPS location, what bait/lure, pound test line and that you did not snag it or catch it in any illegal fashion. smile JK

Wetline will have to be make the final ruling.

Ice still looks really good. Lakeside and Beach Landings are intact from what I can tell. Don't think I would drive any longer however...ATV and walking might be the best bet. Sounds like it was a pretty good bite over the weekend.

Fish On!

And thing of it is! is we caught 4 or 5 gills that were that size, and the majority of the other ones were 8-9"'s. there are lots of big gills in waska!

Nice gill and even more encouraging report WT F. That report sounds like one from last year and years back. I haven't heard / been able to produce a report like that recently.

It'll be interesting to see if this nice crappie year-class that's coming into it's prime can produce some more 12-14"ers in a couple / few years.

Hopefully we don't look at the expansive water were fishing on and think "there's no way I or our boat is gonna make a dent in this lakes fish population."

Mille Lacs, Leech, Red....a few lakes bigger (not many though) than Minnewaska that we affected negatively. They are GREAT fisheries now, but, the DNR had to step in.

I'd rather them not, but there's more and more support for it, IMO. Esp. the "big lakes" that generate tourism. Minnewaska is falling into that category more and more each year.

Several out this morning and I seen a few ATVs out as well.

Wetline...can we get a decision on the gill presented? Does it pass?

Fish On!

Shoreline is getting tougher with the nice weather. I think there are still some spots along Lakeside where you can get an ATV on...definately some spots to walk on. You might want to bring a plank just in case. I looked this morning and there is ice up to shore in some spots and developing water in others.

Wetline...got a decision on that sunfish posted? Is it 10+ or not?

Fish On!

Hahaha sorry I dont make it to this portion of this forum anymore.

Congrats WT.

But I was out on Waska last weekend and I caught this pig, I think I should win

bluegillgronaw.jpg

Nice gill for sure, but I think that background looks to me that it is mid-may????

Sniffer

Ya, I realized it was not taken this spring. Tongue in cheek on the open water comment.......LOL Still a few months to go to get those beautiful fall colors.....

I know Exactly where those Cyprus trees are on Waska!! Those are the 2 trees by the lighthouse on the Starbuck end of the lake wink

Hahaha sorry I dont make it to this portion of this forum anymore.

Congrats WT.

But I was out on Waska last weekend and I caught this pig, I think I should win

bluegillgronaw.jpg

Funny, I didn't know Bruce Condello had a twin brother, who is a registered member here at hotspotoutdoors.com. Nice try.

"sorry I dont make it to this portion of this forum anymore."...

Wetline...5 or your last 6 reports were from this forum?

I just need a confirmation from you that he passes the 10" gill test so I can award WT F his prize. Is your "congratulations" a confirmation??

Lake looks tough this morning...a lot of open water along the shore. Time to get the ARGO out to go fishing. I know I can get into the water...but I wonder if I can get back up on the ice. Sure would be a site! Anyone want to go fishing? smile

Very dark ice as well. Might be time to wait for open water. Seeing a lot more boats go by.

It was a good winter fishing. Looking back, Minnewaska was lucky to miss a couple storms, have some snow blown off by high winds, receive cold weather after a couple slush events and the fish were pretty cooperative for the most part. I think harvest was average for Waska...I felt there were not as many people fishing and not as many houses on the lake. Nice crappie population coming along...lots of pike and walleyes were not too bad either. And no one went thru the ice that I recall. Good winter for the most part.

Bring on the open water!

Fish On!

Just a lil update, saw a few pike in the creek by hobo park. Caught a couple lil sunnies in torgys bay. Its getting close!

Passed by a few lakes today and the ice is close to being out. Can't wait!

Sniffer

• 2 weeks later...

Did well today on crappies teejay! We need to get out and fish crappies.

Sniffer

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions