• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

That could be said for just about any lake. It'd be nice to have a good chance at a "picture fish", not just a "few and far between" chance.

Goose, there are exactly zero lakes in MN that you have "a good chance" at a wall fish, they are always few and far between...

And on a side note for Goose, I don't think I have to tell you what will happen in front of Torgy's again this spring if these pictures surface on here...

Just as the crappies were making a comeback frown

We are looking for "one" picture...not limits on limits on limits. Let's keep it in perspective here. We are looking for one picture to satisfy the arguement and that is it.

Crappie fishing on Waska in the spring is no secret...nor a secret of all the other lakes in the state that have great crappie fishing in the spring.

I think there are plenty of lakes in the State the hardcore guys know they can go to for good chances at wall fish. Some species are harder to get than others of course. I know of a certain lake in the area a certain group goes out after paper plate sized gills for their wall. They will fish all day but they usually end up with 3 to 6 fish of that huge size.

Just one photo of one fish!

Fish On!

I think there are plenty of lakes in the State the hardcore guys know they can go to for good chances at wall fish. Some species are harder to get than others of course. I know of a certain lake in the area a certain group goes out after paper plate sized gills for their wall. They will fish all day but they usually end up with 3 to 6 fish of that huge size.

+1 I know of a few and none of them are over 1000 acres. The people who know of lakes that produce the true giant's dont talk about them much wink

Goose, there are exactly zero lakes in MN that you have "a good chance" at a wall fish, they are always few and far between...

Stcloud, you misunderstood and misquoted me. I didn't say "wall" fish. I said "picture" fish. It's all subjective, I know. By picture fish, I mean a quality fish worth remembering and showing off, while realizing it's also has increased importance to the lake it came from - passing along genes of quality fish, and keeping the less common sized fish in the fishery. IE 10" sunfish, 12-13" crappie,25"walleye, ect. "Wall" fish, are lifetime fish (12" sunny, 16" crappie, 30" walleye), and yes are more rare. Again, those sizes are SUBJECTIVE, and everyone has there own.

But there are "exactly" MANY lakes I know I can go out and get some above average (not run of the mill) picture fish. Waska is one of them, IMO, fo Walleyes and SM. I think, no, I know, Minnewaska could easily have a "panfish picture" quality fishery as well, with some thoughtful harvest practice (much like the voluntary Selective Harvest practices of more and more in other areas of the state, esp. the resort and fishing/tourism dependant areas.) I'm getting ahead of myself now....

Ya, I don't think a photo context is gonna help anything, except settle a freindly disagreement. Hopefully that will end wehn the first photo(s) come in. No one really thinks there's NO fish left that sized, it's just that a 'picture" fish is getting to be about as comon as a wall fish (sunny / crappie). Unless you are as skilled as CrfappieSniffer at taking awesome photos of average fish, which I am not. wink

The Torgies deal will still take place, but maybe some will come to realize the importance of Selective Harvest not just to the apex predators, but the panfish as well. Minneswaska has the potential not just to put meat on the table, but pictures on the wall at the same time.

What would be the better place to fish, in front of the ballroom or bottle bay area

I know of a certain lake in the area a certain group goes out after paper plate sized gills for their wall. They will fish all day but they usually end up with 3 to 6 fish of that huge size.

Would be nice if "average Joe" could come out with his kids and be able to "sort through" a few "picture fish" along with the usual small ones and keep a nice meal to boot, instead of "sorting through" the smaller ones to keep only the biggest. That's the only way we'll ever have what I'm hoping for some day. That's all.

Fishing all day with a group of "hard core" anglers for 3-6 fish for their wall?? Interesting....That's not what I'd like to be able to do with my kids, nephews, or nieces, (nor would they) but interesting, none the less crazy

Thanks goose for the kind words. I for one know's that there are very nice crappies in waska, but I will not fish it in the spring because how nuts it gets out there. There are other lakes that I fish that produce the kind of crappies I am looking for. Now with that being said,95% of the crappies I catch will go back in the lake. And most of the guy's I fish with know that and I have a standard when in the boat.

Kyle is right, 13-16" are in waska and I have seen them.

Sniffer

Thanks goose for the kind words. I for one know's that there are very nice crappies in waska, but I will not fish it in the spring because how nuts it gets out there. There are other lakes that I fish that produce the kind of crappies I am looking for. Now with that being said,95% of the crappies I catch will go back in the lake. And most of the guy's I fish with know that and I have a standard when in the boat.

Kyle is right, 13-16" are in waska and I have seen them.

Sniffer

Your welcome. Those pix of fish still part way in the whole....very cool!!

I also appreciate it when a frequent poster promotes and actually practices Selective Harvest.

IMO, it's essential to a pond with slab pannies, or a 7000 acre panfish factory with countless areas to fish. Our forefathers proved it....we can't continuously take the "cream of the crop" (biggest of any species) and expect to have quality fisheries down the road.

We p i s s and moan about the poor job the DNR does...lol...It starts with us, IMO. The DNR doesn't have much chance keeping up with us if we don't voluntarily practice S.H. They've forced it pretty much on Mille Lacs. Lotta P & M'n about that as well. I don't understand that. Look at that lake compared with the mid-late 80 and early 90's. We could have those kinds of improvements on our own with a bit of sacrifice.

It might not be what we grew up with, but if we want our kids to enjoy the sport, we might have make a small sacrifice and keep a notch or two smaller panfish, and let the bigger, braggin' size fish go...after a picture or two of course... easier to brag with a picture than just saying we slayed a limit of 12-14ers...

I love and own all the new technology (Side Imaging, Down Imaging, Weather sense / barometers, Ipilot, Vexilars, portable and hardside house, ect, ect). Heck, I'm one of the crazy people that wants two lines legal in open water. I also think about the future when I post about fishing reports, and harvest fish. I want to continue to enjoy fishing and would like to pass it along to the next generation. From your posts, I think you agree.

The 13-16" crappies in waska is besides the fact. Catch a 16"er....Awesome...put it on the wall. Lifetime fish, in most lakes...for sure waska.

The 13-14"ers...when you've got oodles of9-11"ers to catch and filet....take a pic, make a memory, imagine your kids catching that fish tomorrow or next year, and maybe think about putting it back.

Really a great crappie bite yesterday. Had all the intentions of taking the house off the lake, but ended up taking the boys out for a sleep over. Caught crappies until 11:30pm...a lot of fun. Must have caught 50+ fish and kept a limit for supper tonight.

Got a few on minnows but most where caught on a jig with a tube/tail combo. Just have to lift and get them chasing...and then they would nail it. Really helped to have a spring bobber.

No 14+ this time. smile Got a couple of 12s though...most were around 10 inches and smaller.

Fish On!

Nice work!!!

Me and a buddy are going out tomorrow morning and are thinking about fishing bottle bay, is this a good spot.

Where did you get your crappies and where there any suns mixed in?

Is the ice still good to pull and big house out with my truck?

I haven't heard any reports from today as of yet but several out trying. Nice day on the lake.

Bottle Bay or out from Lakeside...or even venture out to some areas off from there. Lake conditions are excellent and accesses are good. Ice is almost to the bottom of my auger. Unless the weather really warms up, there should be a lot of good fishing left on Waska.

Crappies mixes with mostly gills during the day...gills mixes with mostly crappies during the evening.

Shrimp worked really well for the gills on a #14 and a white shrimpo type jig (I have been making my own out of a jig and a tube with a tail...same thing) tipped with a red uro. Just what I used but I am sure you can catch'm on other stuff too.

Good luck and...Fish On!

I have a friend of mine who is a taxidermist. And just last year he was mounting a 1 lb 8 oz sunfish that came from Waska last winter--I saw it and it was a total pig!

was out tonight with the girlfriends dad, caught 30+ crappies and few sunnies. we were out in front of the ballroom 17 ft of water. kept a dozen to eat tomorrow night and the rest went back. lime glow ratsos and red euros were the ticket. thanks landr for the info we got out there just in time smile

Was out over night and got 30+ sunnies and a few crappies. Started in bottle bay and got the majority there. We moved over in front of the ballroom and got a few but did better in bottle bay.

Can anyone give give me a report on conditions of the ice and the glenwood accesses? Are people still driving larger vehicles out there or should I bring my 4-wheeler? How much water should I expect to find on the ice?

Thanks in advance.

It's been quiet here lately, maybe everyone is busy fishing, which I hope to do on Sunday am, kyle can u chime in on Ice thickness, possible hazards on waska?

Teejay...Wish I could give a report but I am out of town...Mexico. Will be back later next week. I am sure the ice is still in great shape and people are driving...but maybe some others can report in that have been out recently.

Fish On!

Just got off the lake driving conditions are great, no snow, if it gets warm enough it will get pretty slushy. But all in all good morning, drilled alot of holes and got enough for a meal.

Have not been to Waska, but the warmer temp's have not hurt the main parts of the lake for ice. Landings.....well that could be tricky. Ice is getting roughed up with all the melting the last few day's.

Sniffer

dont know where you were whitetailfreak but this morning was tough! only caught 2 sunnies and a crappie! drilled a hundred holes probably and was very upset with the results!

Was out yesterday from 1:00PM until 6:00PM and ended up with a limit of sunfish. No crappies.

The ice on the main lake was great, but the accesses are getting pretty beat up. You needed a 4-wheel drive to get through the slush at the beach access.

A group of my fellow fire fighters where out on sunday to catch some for our annual fish fry we put on for our retired guys and only caught 8 per person. We were going to try and come over again this weekend any tips would be appreciated. I think they were fishing in front of the ballroom. Is there a better spot?.

How are the access on waska, thinking about coming up this weekend and planning to go off sacs access or the DNR access, are they in good condition to get on with a fourwheeler.

Its stated above that the accesses are in rough shape, Four wheeler would be a wise decision.

So i wont have a problem getting on with a fourwheeler pulling a small trailer?

HammerTime: You might want to wait and check with one of the bait shops on Friday morning. We had 7 to 8-inches of new snow last night with extremely high winds. According to the news the Douglas Co. Sheriffs office is currently advising no travel.

Was just out Wayne and I would not go anywhere today. That wind is brutal and created some nice drifts.

Sniffer

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions