• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

terrible_fisherman

If you can see it you can spear it. I have not gotten out much this year so curious on the water quality.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

carpshooterdeluxe

Has water cleared up at all or still need to spear in pretty shallow? Thanks.

I could see my camera when i looked down the hole in 20 ft 2 weekends ago.

Took the boys out for a couple hours last night from 6:30 to 8:30 to see how the crappie bite is in the new spot. Bite was aggressive enough to just use rattle reels with small crappie jigs and crappie minnows. Kept us pretty busy just going from hole to hole and Treyton even had a double in his two holes while I was tending one of mine.

Ice depth is around 32 to 34 inches with around 8 inches of snow on the lake were we are at. Accesses are in very good condition as well.

Bottle Bay and out from Lakeside Ballroom seem to be a couple of the better spots for panfish. Crappie Town still has fish but have gotten less aggressive...there also appears to be a thermocline about 2 ft off the bottom which could be causing some issues.

Glenwood Winterama is going on this weekend with the Polar Plung, Minnow Eating Contest as well as other events and attractions. Most of this will be just in front of Lakeside Ballroom. I think there is a DJ or something going on as well. Should be fun and the weather is going to be excellent!

Fish On!

Glenwood Winterama Schedule of Events:

SATURDAY

Concession Tent Opens

12:30

Ring Toss, Long Putt, Fishing Game, Turkey Bowling, Washers, Nickel Pickup

1:00 – 2:30

Snow Sculpture Contest Judging

2:15

Waterama’s Polar Bear Plunge

2:30

Prizes given out for games

3:00

Minnow Eating Contest

3:15

** Chili Cook-off and Fundraiser at Lakeside Ballroom begins **

5:00

Saturday Night at Lakeside Ballroom, Glenwood, MN

50/50 drawings each hour

5:00 – 9:00

"DJ Pete" will be providing music throughout the evening 5:00 – 9:00

Fireworks!!!

Approx. 7:15

firefish_12

Landdr

sounds like a fun time to bad going to be in Alex for their fishing tourney

maybe next year

Fishing tourney is from 12 - 3...just enough time to drive your new truck that you win down to Minnewaska to take in the chili cookoff and get out on Waska for some sunfish and crappies...fireworks over head at 7:30. Crappies under the fireworks...don't get that every day! smile

Good luck at the tourney!

Fish On!

...there also appears to be a thermocline about 2 ft off the bottom which could be causing some issues.

Curious about that statement. How much of a temperature difference are you seeing?

Goose...I stress the word "appears". I don't have the temperature readings but there is a very evident seperation developing that is currently about a couple feet thick. That usually requires a temperature change to make that happen...so I am making the assumption that it appears as a thermocline would. Something has turned the fish off in this area and it might have to do with this seperation layer...not sure but maybe. smile

Fish On!

Yes...it appears as a "haze" and often localizes zooplankton in it. Almost looks like a layer of clouds and the zooplankton are most often in it as well. It interesting.

slurpie...do you mean the Winterama? Not a big area and they are in towards shore where no one fishes.

Fish On!

went out on waska today. Hit the bottle bay area. picked an area, and somebody out there told me it was dead. Drilled multiple holes anyway. Had a awesome time, mixed bag. Nice sunnies, crappies and alot of nice size perch. By far my best day on the ice. So much for a dead area.

Not one fish registered? Wow...how does that happen?

Past few days fishing on Waska have been excellent...really nice sunnies and crappies....lots of pike for those that want to catch them. A lot of sunnies in the 8 to 9 inch range with crappies being around the 10 inch range. Shrimp and spikes for the sunnies and crappie shrimp, spikes or minnows for the crappies. Fish seemed to be pretty aggressive as well. 16 to 18+ fow. Bottle Bay and out from Lakeside are working well but I think you could go just about anywhere out in the "flats" and find fish...just a really big area of fish.

Few walleyes as well but most people have been after the panfish.

Beautiful day on the ice and the rest of the week looks really nice as well!

Fish On!

I just seen it in Crappie Town along the break...I don't see it anywhere else at this time. I could be forming there because of the "bowl" in that area...it is more of a contained area because of the structure. Not sure.

I have not see the same hazey layer in Bottle Bay or anywhere else.

Fish On!

Hammertime0802

How is the bite on Waska...i have heard that it has been slow in the main village off the access right beforeyou get back on 28. Has it spead up?

basssmasher*

Bottle bay is not an actual bay , its a huge flat so to speak, right off of 29 straight out from sacks landing

The bite on Waska has been really good for the majority...really nice gills and the crappies are average in size but seem active and plentiful. Morning and evening bites are more aggressive but both species can be caught all throughout the day. There are some people not finding fish which I don't understand with the good bite...not sure if it is what they are using, how they are fishing or where they are at. I recommend going small with your hardware...#14 if you can and go with shrimp and/or spikes. Crappies like the small minnows. Gills are about a foot off the bottom usually and the crappies tend to be 3 or even 4 ft off the bottom. Color doesn't seem to matter but slow lifting or "wobbling" the bait works best...aggressive jigging tends to scare them away.

A lot of pike being caught and a few walleyes as well. Accesses, ice and getting around are all in good condition.

Fish On!

Any reports on the condition of the lake after the warm weather? Is there alot of water on the ice? Thanks in advance for the report.

Chad Peterson

Driving by today and it looked good. This warm weather will help with the snow and by this weekend; back in the ice box.

Sniffer

basssmasher*

Landr, why didnt you tell me about the nice perch in waska? i didnt realize they got as big as I have found them the last 2 weekends smile Sunday i kept 8, just enuff for me and the wife and son, but i threw approximately 20-25 back over 10 inches. Wont tell ya exactly where, BUT if you like we can go sometime smile then u will know where.lol..P.s... its hard watching a spring bobber in 30 + mph winds..lol

Driving out beyond Minnewaska for work on Thursday from the East Metro. I drive a small car, but would like to try out the lake for an hour or two on my way home prob around 12-2pm...

Whats the most recent report on the landing/road conditions? And which should I use with a low clearance car, if any?

Is this Crappie Town / Flat area basically the place with all the houses set up? Gonna be a long day of driving but I've been keeping an eye on this lake, and now I have the itch.

firefish_12

Urban---crappie town is just out from the dnr access is glenwood. Yes there will be slot of houses out there

I was out there 2 weeks ago and needed 4 wheel drive to get on and off. Sure landr or one of the locals will chime in about current ice conitions

good luck

Hammertime0802

I would try of Sacs access in 18 FOW, thats where i have had the best luck.

I have been talking to people and reading reports that waskas perch numbers and up and several people i have talked to are getting some nice jumbos, anyone got any idea where?

Didn't fish today but did look at the access situation. Looks like at the DNR access someone plowed a new road off the beaten path of the others, and same at Sac's landing. Old path at Sac's was holding quite a bit of water the first 150 yards and someone blazed a new wide trail out that heads more south.

Fished this past weekend with mixed results. Really had to sort through the sunnies on Saturday but did keep 15 fishing in 13 ft. of water. On Sunday drilled a lot of holes and found perch in same general area but shallower. A lot of small perch in the 2-4 inch range, but did catch 8 that were 10-11 inches. Was sight fishing and really had to work at chasing the little ones away so the bigger ones got a chance.

Did not catch a single perch where we caught the sunnies, and did not catch a single sunfish where we caught the perch. Can't help but think with all the small perch in the area we were fishing that the walleyes wouldn't be in there in numbers come sundown. Am going to try it later this week for walleyes.

Fish were very finicky and would only hit certain baits and lures. Took a while to figure it out. I would think with the thaw we've had that fishing should pick up some with all the water filtering it's way through the ice. Some of the best fishing of the year is late in the season when the water starts running down all the holes.

Water is very clear on Minnewaska this year. If you are using portables keep it as dark as possible inside and look down the hole. You can see the sunfish and perch coming in if you are shallow enough. We were sight fishing the week before in 17 ft.....when the lure disappeared, set the hook.

When the fish are finicky it is imperative that your lure doesn't spin in circles when holding it still. Try using heavier line (6 lb.) in fluorocarbon to keep the lure from spinning, and tie a loop knot on horizontal jigs. Makes a big difference on panfish. I used to use a lot of 2 lb. micro ice type line and quit using them because the line has so much memory from the reel and it not only constantly wraps around the rod tip, but it also causes the lure to spin when held still.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Jaroberts28
      By Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy. 
      Thanks,
      Andy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.

Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf. 

As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes were active this week.  Some warm weather hit the north country and the fish responded nicely.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged or drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler in 15-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Snelled spinners or harnesses work well all summer into the fall and also is a really good way to cover water.  They are also versatile as they can be fished shallow to deep.  1.0 - 1.25 mph is a good speed, as long as the spinner is spinning.
      Colors to start out with... hammered gold by itself or with another color, pink, glow red, orange and chartreuse.  All good colors in the stained waters.
      Trolling crankbaits is gaining steam with very good results.  A great way to cover water.  Get the lure where walleyes are living and hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleye fishing on the river.  Most anglers fishing the river are locals or folks with smaller boats or on windy days.  Although many walleyes head back to the lake after the spawn, not all do!   There is 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale which is 26 miles east of Baudette.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow with spinners and crankbaits starting to perform well.  
      Multispecies in the river.  Smallmouth bass in rocky or slack water areas.  Pike in bays.  Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 14-25 feet of water.  A lot of fish being caught in the mud, but plenty around structure as well.
      Jigging with a minnow and drifting with spinners the go to methods.  Not as many anglers pulling crankbaits but they are working.  Much like the south end, Gold or gold mixed with another color has been effective this week.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mastercaster
      By Mastercaster
      Anyone been out to Elephant lake lately? Water level up/down? Having any luck?
      The East Coast Boys will be heading up this Friday and on the Lake by Saturday (27th year), don't worry Russ & BR we will save a few for you (kinda like the backrow boys)................

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Finally got out Thursday morning to wet a line. Pretty slow. Got 1 bass, 1 northern and a big catfish.  First time getting a cat there. Pulled like crazy and for some reason my dragged decided not to work properly. Luckily I didn’t break the line.  Lots of weeds floating at access. Had to do a lot of cleaning when I loaded up. Big thank you to the young lady checking for AIS. She helped get the weeds off, then I power washed it at home.  Good luck everyone.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some excellent walleye fishing this week.  Guides did a nice job of being versatile a couple of days when the wind really blew.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Never discount trolling.  Some good reports of trolling crankbaits with very good results.  A great way to cover water where walleyes are living.  Mix up cranks with different shapes, sizes, wobbles and colors until you get dialed in.  Good to have everyone in the boat with a different lure to start out.
      Some popular crankbait colors to start out with...  pink UV Firetiger, Firetiger, chrome / blue, gold / orange.
      More big pike surprised unsuspecting walleye anglers this week.  When you get hooked up, hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river in 8-15 feet of water.  A nice alternative to the lake for smaller boats and big blow days.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Spinners with crawlers and crankbaits are also a good option to cover water.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  Summer sturgeon fishing doesn't get attention due to walleyes but it is productive and fun.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 13-20 feet of water.  Anchored around neck down areas with a bit of current, points and around shoreline structure producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold / chartreuse is a good color this week.  Gold, glow colors and brighter colors in the stained waters are a solid choice.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, south shore of Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      I only had a very short amount of time to fish this morning, so I went to the Apple River. Even though it’s pretty close, I never go here for the simple fact, the fishing is no good! I’m just amazed at the lack of fish holding structure this particular stretch has (Star Prairie). There’s no riffles, pools, boulders, undercut banks, nothing! It’s just fast water! I did catch 1 little rainbow, and lost 2 others. So it was nice to see at least a little sign of life in Apple.

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of walleye fishing.  Jigging with a frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-25 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Some anglers locating fish shallow, especially in current areas or on a wind blown shoreline.  There are also good numbers of fish being caught anchored up in deeper water.  Different schools of walleyes are often tuned in to different bait, hence, not all walleyes are doing the same thing.  It is good to trust your electronics, try an area and if no luck, move on.  
      Jig colors, gold, orange, glow, pink, chartreuse or a mix of these colors on the same jig.
      Some good reports of trolling crankbaits where walleyes are roaming.  Crankbaits allow you to cover water and put your lure in front of a lot of walleyes.  Trolling shorelines, even if nobody else is, can produce good results.
      As is the case in a strong pike fishery, some big pike being caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  Many pike over 40 inches boated this week.
      On the Rainy River...   There is always a resident population of walleyes that live in the river even after the annual spawning run is over.  Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river.  
      Most are still jigging with a minnow.  Try current breaks or holes in the stretch of river you are fishing.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale 30 miles east of Baudette.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing this past week around the Angle.  Fish coming from 5 - 25 feet of water.  A big variance but fish the goto spots.  Neck down areas with a bit of current, points and deep edges of bays producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold and brighter colors in the stained waters have worked well.

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Wow haven't been here for a while and logged in to say hello to all of my FM family and catch up on some of the forums. . Was hoping to see some nice eye pics, some detailed  reports, hot tips,  most especially in the center parts of the state.  To my amazement very very little activity.  Glad to c the Northern Vermillion guys keeping things rolling. I guess i'll throw one up . Had a group of guys fish a couple lakes opening wknd in the Atwater area. The bite was pretty slow early but we dealt with some stained water conditions. As the sun poked her way through the clouds we finally dialed them in. Water temps were 60 degrees surface temp. The  clarity 2-3ft. Shallow areas with mixed gravel 3-6 ft of water was key.. Crazy part of the bite was we had to use small 16th oz jigs with half crawler basically dragged away from the boat. Would of thought minnows would of been ticket but found out real quick the crawlers were the answer. We had a real nice fish fry and fire and once again another opener tradition in the books.. Looking forward to tommorow as I'LL be on the water bright and early trying some new water and looking for that next bite 😃
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JBMasterAngler
      I just buy their frozen pizzas at the gas station and bring them home in a cooler now. I buy worlds best donuts at the holiday too, to avoid the insane line.
    • Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy.  Thanks, Andy
    • leech~~
      Did you show Boar this proof that you can catch fish? 😆
    • leech~~
      Well at least it was cooler up there then any other part of the state the last few weeks.  My wife and I went up in the spring and camped at Cascade River state park. Most of the town was shut down all together. Even to get a pizza from Sven and Oles you had to phone it in and pick it up inside. The rest of it was closed down and they said they may not open other then take out because they couldn't find anyone to work. 🙁
    • smurfy
      Some more!👍
    • smurfy
    • fishingstar
      that's how the contractor referred to as. They put a easement on my property taxes. My mortgage went up 125 a month for ten years. This was 3 years ago maybe the funds are gone.
    • Mike89
      they didn't have to here in Todd cty.   I know some folks who got it.....   
    • delcecchi
      A grant (free money) or some kind of loan?   You have to pay it back?
    • JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.   Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf.    As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.