• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

If you can see it you can spear it. I have not gotten out much this year so curious on the water quality.

Has water cleared up at all or still need to spear in pretty shallow? Thanks.

I could see my camera when i looked down the hole in 20 ft 2 weekends ago.

Took the boys out for a couple hours last night from 6:30 to 8:30 to see how the crappie bite is in the new spot. Bite was aggressive enough to just use rattle reels with small crappie jigs and crappie minnows. Kept us pretty busy just going from hole to hole and Treyton even had a double in his two holes while I was tending one of mine.

Ice depth is around 32 to 34 inches with around 8 inches of snow on the lake were we are at. Accesses are in very good condition as well.

Bottle Bay and out from Lakeside Ballroom seem to be a couple of the better spots for panfish. Crappie Town still has fish but have gotten less aggressive...there also appears to be a thermocline about 2 ft off the bottom which could be causing some issues.

Glenwood Winterama is going on this weekend with the Polar Plung, Minnow Eating Contest as well as other events and attractions. Most of this will be just in front of Lakeside Ballroom. I think there is a DJ or something going on as well. Should be fun and the weather is going to be excellent!

Fish On!

Glenwood Winterama Schedule of Events:

SATURDAY

Concession Tent Opens

12:30

Ring Toss, Long Putt, Fishing Game, Turkey Bowling, Washers, Nickel Pickup

1:00 – 2:30

Snow Sculpture Contest Judging

2:15

Waterama’s Polar Bear Plunge

2:30

Prizes given out for games

3:00

Minnow Eating Contest

3:15

** Chili Cook-off and Fundraiser at Lakeside Ballroom begins **

5:00

Saturday Night at Lakeside Ballroom, Glenwood, MN

50/50 drawings each hour

5:00 – 9:00

"DJ Pete" will be providing music throughout the evening 5:00 – 9:00

Fireworks!!!

Approx. 7:15

Fishing tourney is from 12 - 3...just enough time to drive your new truck that you win down to Minnewaska to take in the chili cookoff and get out on Waska for some sunfish and crappies...fireworks over head at 7:30. Crappies under the fireworks...don't get that every day! smile

Good luck at the tourney!

Fish On!

...there also appears to be a thermocline about 2 ft off the bottom which could be causing some issues.

Curious about that statement. How much of a temperature difference are you seeing?

Goose...I stress the word "appears". I don't have the temperature readings but there is a very evident seperation developing that is currently about a couple feet thick. That usually requires a temperature change to make that happen...so I am making the assumption that it appears as a thermocline would. Something has turned the fish off in this area and it might have to do with this seperation layer...not sure but maybe. smile

Fish On!

Yes...it appears as a "haze" and often localizes zooplankton in it. Almost looks like a layer of clouds and the zooplankton are most often in it as well. It interesting.

slurpie...do you mean the Winterama? Not a big area and they are in towards shore where no one fishes.

Fish On!

went out on waska today. Hit the bottle bay area. picked an area, and somebody out there told me it was dead. Drilled multiple holes anyway. Had a awesome time, mixed bag. Nice sunnies, crappies and alot of nice size perch. By far my best day on the ice. So much for a dead area.

Not one fish registered? Wow...how does that happen?

Past few days fishing on Waska have been excellent...really nice sunnies and crappies....lots of pike for those that want to catch them. A lot of sunnies in the 8 to 9 inch range with crappies being around the 10 inch range. Shrimp and spikes for the sunnies and crappie shrimp, spikes or minnows for the crappies. Fish seemed to be pretty aggressive as well. 16 to 18+ fow. Bottle Bay and out from Lakeside are working well but I think you could go just about anywhere out in the "flats" and find fish...just a really big area of fish.

Few walleyes as well but most people have been after the panfish.

Beautiful day on the ice and the rest of the week looks really nice as well!

Fish On!

I just seen it in Crappie Town along the break...I don't see it anywhere else at this time. I could be forming there because of the "bowl" in that area...it is more of a contained area because of the structure. Not sure.

I have not see the same hazey layer in Bottle Bay or anywhere else.

Fish On!

How is the bite on Waska...i have heard that it has been slow in the main village off the access right beforeyou get back on 28. Has it spead up?

Bottle bay is not an actual bay , its a huge flat so to speak, right off of 29 straight out from sacks landing

The bite on Waska has been really good for the majority...really nice gills and the crappies are average in size but seem active and plentiful. Morning and evening bites are more aggressive but both species can be caught all throughout the day. There are some people not finding fish which I don't understand with the good bite...not sure if it is what they are using, how they are fishing or where they are at. I recommend going small with your hardware...#14 if you can and go with shrimp and/or spikes. Crappies like the small minnows. Gills are about a foot off the bottom usually and the crappies tend to be 3 or even 4 ft off the bottom. Color doesn't seem to matter but slow lifting or "wobbling" the bait works best...aggressive jigging tends to scare them away.

A lot of pike being caught and a few walleyes as well. Accesses, ice and getting around are all in good condition.

Fish On!

Any reports on the condition of the lake after the warm weather? Is there alot of water on the ice? Thanks in advance for the report.

Driving by today and it looked good. This warm weather will help with the snow and by this weekend; back in the ice box.

Sniffer

Landr, why didnt you tell me about the nice perch in waska? i didnt realize they got as big as I have found them the last 2 weekends smile Sunday i kept 8, just enuff for me and the wife and son, but i threw approximately 20-25 back over 10 inches. Wont tell ya exactly where, BUT if you like we can go sometime smile then u will know where.lol..P.s... its hard watching a spring bobber in 30 + mph winds..lol

Driving out beyond Minnewaska for work on Thursday from the East Metro. I drive a small car, but would like to try out the lake for an hour or two on my way home prob around 12-2pm...

Whats the most recent report on the landing/road conditions? And which should I use with a low clearance car, if any?

Is this Crappie Town / Flat area basically the place with all the houses set up? Gonna be a long day of driving but I've been keeping an eye on this lake, and now I have the itch.

Urban---crappie town is just out from the dnr access is glenwood. Yes there will be slot of houses out there

I was out there 2 weeks ago and needed 4 wheel drive to get on and off. Sure landr or one of the locals will chime in about current ice conitions

good luck

I would try of Sacs access in 18 FOW, thats where i have had the best luck.

I have been talking to people and reading reports that waskas perch numbers and up and several people i have talked to are getting some nice jumbos, anyone got any idea where?

Didn't fish today but did look at the access situation. Looks like at the DNR access someone plowed a new road off the beaten path of the others, and same at Sac's landing. Old path at Sac's was holding quite a bit of water the first 150 yards and someone blazed a new wide trail out that heads more south.

Fished this past weekend with mixed results. Really had to sort through the sunnies on Saturday but did keep 15 fishing in 13 ft. of water. On Sunday drilled a lot of holes and found perch in same general area but shallower. A lot of small perch in the 2-4 inch range, but did catch 8 that were 10-11 inches. Was sight fishing and really had to work at chasing the little ones away so the bigger ones got a chance.

Did not catch a single perch where we caught the sunnies, and did not catch a single sunfish where we caught the perch. Can't help but think with all the small perch in the area we were fishing that the walleyes wouldn't be in there in numbers come sundown. Am going to try it later this week for walleyes.

Fish were very finicky and would only hit certain baits and lures. Took a while to figure it out. I would think with the thaw we've had that fishing should pick up some with all the water filtering it's way through the ice. Some of the best fishing of the year is late in the season when the water starts running down all the holes.

Water is very clear on Minnewaska this year. If you are using portables keep it as dark as possible inside and look down the hole. You can see the sunfish and perch coming in if you are shallow enough. We were sight fishing the week before in 17 ft.....when the lure disappeared, set the hook.

When the fish are finicky it is imperative that your lure doesn't spin in circles when holding it still. Try using heavier line (6 lb.) in fluorocarbon to keep the lure from spinning, and tie a loop knot on horizontal jigs. Makes a big difference on panfish. I used to use a lot of 2 lb. micro ice type line and quit using them because the line has so much memory from the reel and it not only constantly wraps around the rod tip, but it also causes the lure to spin when held still.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions