• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WiskerBiskit

Bringing kids out this weekend around bottle bay for some sunnies is it worth sleeping over for some walleyes or crappies in that same area or should we move the house to new location after dark? Any suggestions on a chance to catch some eyes after dark would b great. Spot close to bottle bay would b great

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

Firefish...Excellent! Kids should have a lot of fun. Make sure to put some shiners down for some pike excitement...the kids will like to see the BIG fish. smile You can go to the left or further out from all the houses. It is a big area and lots of room...16 to 18 fow or even deeper. I have heard some guys going out to 20 ft. and finding good sunnies. A lot of pike in the area and a few crappie and walleye as well.

Wisker...there are some eyes and crappies in Bottle Bay. Might be a better crappie bite in Crappie Town. Better walleyes out on School Bars. School Bars are just south and west of Bottle Bay. Might even go a little shallower on School Bar to find sunnies and then deeper for walleyes. We did that last year and worked out really well. You should drill some holes from 13 to 17 fow along School Bar before you set up to make sure there are some fish there before you set up however. You might have the whole area to yourself!

Fish On!

GoingFishin

Yesterday on the South shore access point just West of Baycrest, a Ford F350 truck got stuck on that previously reported ice upheaval. One of it's running boards was torn off and it need to be towed over the upheaval. It's fairly steep going off the lake and easy to "bottom out" for most vehicles. Probably should avoid using this lake access point at this time.

Thanks GoingFishin. I was planning using that access this afternoon. Can a guy make it across the lake (to the south side) from the north side accesses? IE - If you can get on the lake, can you go whereever you need to ? Thanks in advance.

GoingFishin

It seems that most of the snow is hardpacked in the middle and quite drivable. One needs to get out away from shore where drifting has caused problems. Someone drove across the lake yesterday to fish in front of Peter's. I would suggest to stay on the roads until you're out far enough to miss those shore drifts.

WiskerBiskit

Not a good day today had a hard time gettin them to bite. Out in 16 fow on the outskirts of the city on bottle bay, the worst thing is there is tons of fish on the camera nosing the bait, tried everything from shrimp euro larva and waxies to crappie minnows to fatheads only takers were slimers and some small perch during the day, did catch 3 nice crappies at dark, hope a stray walleye or something comes through tonight, kids had a lot of fun watchin the camera though

sunniewally

had the same result on friday,caught 5 bigger sunfish and about a dozen smaller ones and 2 crappies and 2 slimers in 17 ft water.

Similar reports from people i have spoke to...very tough bite! Barometric pressure was going up all day still rising today...not good for fishing. I would expect same reports from other lakes too. Pressure shoild be going down later today but probably to late for the weekend.

fish on!

Chad Peterson

And you would be correct on the high pressure. It will tough today! But, it you are moving around, I think you will get some active fish. FishOn is right on tough bite.

Good to talk to you and we should exchange ideas on the project.

Sniffer

Chad Peterson

I was just watching the barometer and it is high, but I would say by 5:00pm it will start moving down. The bite should be good for this evening. Looks like a good bite tomorrow has the weather system is here. Only bad thing is more snow.

Sniffer

carpshooterdeluxe

saturday afternoon was good for me...went out off sheriff's and drove until i found a spot with nobody within 200 yards...started drilling holes, found the depth i wanted, dropped a line, and proceeded to pick up some of the biggest bluegills i've caught in the last 12 or so years. I kept 5 and threw back at least that many. all were 8" or better, with 1 going 10 inches. Funny part was the bigger gills i caught were right at sunset on a forage minnow tipped with a minnow head. never had gills hit a bait that big before in the winter. Never did have any perch or walleye come through which i found strange for the area i was fishing.

The question of the day is: Landdr did you make it back in one piece? I am sure Rochester will never be the same!

firefish_12

Saturday afternoon was slow for me and the lil boy we caught probably 30 small sunfish and 10 small crappies with lots of misses. Euros,shrimp and waxies all worked equally fished our from the DNR landing around 16 Dow from 1-6pm. Had friends fishing bottle bay with the same results not sure If the cold front slowed the bite

the gal at fish-on was very helpful

I'm sure the bigger ones will start going again maybe next time I'll be there

carpshooterdeluxe

Saturday afternoon was slow for me and the lil boy we caught probably 30 small sunfish and 10 small crappies with lots of misses. Euros,shrimp and waxies all worked equally fished our from the DNR landing around 16 Dow from 1-6pm. Had friends fishing bottle bay with the same results not sure If the cold front slowed the bite

the gal at fish-on was very helpful

I'm sure the bigger ones will start going again maybe next time I'll be there

farther away from town...better the bite.. wink

Chad Peterson

I hate being around the crowds. Get away from them in the same depth and you will get fish.

Sniffer

swmndeerhunter

How is the lake up there after this last bit of snow? Thinking about making the journey up there this weekend.

Chad Peterson

We had 4-5 inches and drifting. I have not the damage, but I am sure that the roads and getting around will be fine. I plan on getting out this weekend to see what the lakes look like.

Sniffer

Access and lake conditions are fine...no changes really from what it has been. There should be no concerns of driving out with vehicles or houses.

Last weekend was a really tough bite for most. The barometer started going up on Friday and didn't stop going up until Sunday afternoon...horrible. Fish were down there...just had a headache.

Barometer was pretty steady yesterday and is now going down sharply. Should be a good day for fishing and probably will hold thru Saturday. Weather is looking really nice with the warmer temps as well. I think I might have to go fishing! smile

I was gone for the weekend at a sport show and then gone most of the week to a convention...sorry I missed some of the questions.

Fish On!

Tater chip sunnies today with a few large fish missed, possibly notherns. Can't complain about the weather though.

Chad Peterson

Tater chip..................they call me Tater Salad. LOL. Glad you were out getting on some fish.

Sniffer

basssmasher*

Strange day today on waska.. I started out in the early am on the western edge of houses in bottle bay. About 20 ft of water, and marked plenty of fish but could not get ONE to bite. After hole hopping a bit and only one 3 inch perch to show for it, I decided to go drastically the other direction and was fishing, well, I don't know where exactly, but anywhere from 10-12 ft of water where there were a few spear houses. No sooner dropped a waxie down and bam a nice crappie. Thinking I made the right move EVERY fish I caught after that was a perch, but there were some NICE ones in the 11-12 inch range! I kept 11 and threw back a bunch more but had a blast! Still mystified why I never saw a sunfish though .

3 of us were up there yesterday got on ice around 9. Fishing was slow for most of the day a few perch only one keeper and some scarce sunnies. Tried 3 different spots and third was the charm, or maybe it was time to bite dont really know but it was around 2:30. Sunnies started to come through a little faster and more aggressive with a few crappies only kept one of them also. From around 4 till dark the action was fairly constant with fish on the vexilar all the time. Only third time up there and impressed with the fishing there.

It was another one of those high pressure weekends and the fish were slow...a lot of them down there...but tight lipped. Still manage some nice fishing. Crappies in the evening in Crappie Town were also numerous but tight lipped. Managed some fish but turned to the cribbage board since I had classmates up a night on the ice. With the cards I got, I shoulda stuck to fishing! smile

Still a lot of pike during the day and the guys had fun with that...a little better size this time as well. Heard of a few walleyes caught as well ranging from 2 or 3 up to 7 with the best bite being around 3 to 5.

I think I gonna do some searching this week. Most reports are to get out and away from the groups to find fish...might take drilling a few holes but you should find yourself a good spot with a little searching.

All ice and accesses appear to be in good condition and I didn't hear of any issues getting around on the lake.

Fish On!

Stcloudangler

Was up there Saturday from daybreak until 2pm. Buddy had to go for a wedding. We didn't catch much in the first two spots by crappie town, then made the move to bottle bay with the masses. Bunch of really dinky sunfish in 15 fow, then moved to 19. There I found a hot hole and pulled 7 keepers, with plenty of throwbacks mixed in. Wish we would have came later and been able to stay.

Was suprised with the lack of size for the most part though... I am used to 3 to a pound being the norm there, instead of tater chips.

Had to move one of the houses yesterday to find some fresh water. Stayed on the Glenwood end...just picked a contour and start drilling holes and putting the camera down. Did not see much from 12 to 16 fow or so...few small perch. Just kept moving out and looking. Went to a spot I was at late season last year...a little bend in the contour with a small drop. There were crappies and sunfish everywhere on the camera...looked like Cabela's aquarium! Got the house moved over with a little daylight yet...it was one after another of crappies and sunnies mixed. Most crappies were around 9 inches but a few 10s+ mixed in. A few 6-7in sunnies but plenty of 8-9in as well with one at 9.5. The barometer was high but steady and these fish were pretty aggressive...especially the crappies.

There have been many reports of getting away from crowds and also going deeper...even 18-20 fow. I think this was in 18 or 19 fow and there is not a house within 200 yds. it really pays to spend a little time drilling some holes and looking around off on your own away from "the masses". Minnewaska is a big lake and there is A LOT of unfished water out there. Late season ice is some of the best fishing on Waska.

There was about 32 inches of ice and the snow was pretty hard packed. I used my little Ford Escape to pull the fish house...even thru areas that were not traveled. With a 4wd pickup you shouldn't have any issues driving out into new areas to explore. Again, I would recommend unhooking the fish house, go out and drill some holes, put the camera down, find the fish and then move the house to that spot. Should not take you more than an hour to get this done and it will be well worth your time.

Fish On!

terrible_fisherman

Has water cleared up at all or still need to spear in pretty shallow? Thanks.

I don't spear so I am not exactly what you are looking for...but...I stuck my head in the hole the other day to look at a northern down by my shinner in 16.5 fow and I seen the pike. I don't know if it was clear enough to fork it or not but I could see it. smile

How's the spearing been? Sure a lot of little pike around!

Fish On!

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Jaroberts28
      By Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy. 
      Thanks,
      Andy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.

Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf. 

As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes were active this week.  Some warm weather hit the north country and the fish responded nicely.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged or drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler in 15-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Snelled spinners or harnesses work well all summer into the fall and also is a really good way to cover water.  They are also versatile as they can be fished shallow to deep.  1.0 - 1.25 mph is a good speed, as long as the spinner is spinning.
      Colors to start out with... hammered gold by itself or with another color, pink, glow red, orange and chartreuse.  All good colors in the stained waters.
      Trolling crankbaits is gaining steam with very good results.  A great way to cover water.  Get the lure where walleyes are living and hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleye fishing on the river.  Most anglers fishing the river are locals or folks with smaller boats or on windy days.  Although many walleyes head back to the lake after the spawn, not all do!   There is 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale which is 26 miles east of Baudette.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow with spinners and crankbaits starting to perform well.  
      Multispecies in the river.  Smallmouth bass in rocky or slack water areas.  Pike in bays.  Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 14-25 feet of water.  A lot of fish being caught in the mud, but plenty around structure as well.
      Jigging with a minnow and drifting with spinners the go to methods.  Not as many anglers pulling crankbaits but they are working.  Much like the south end, Gold or gold mixed with another color has been effective this week.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mastercaster
      By Mastercaster
      Anyone been out to Elephant lake lately? Water level up/down? Having any luck?
      The East Coast Boys will be heading up this Friday and on the Lake by Saturday (27th year), don't worry Russ & BR we will save a few for you (kinda like the backrow boys)................

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Finally got out Thursday morning to wet a line. Pretty slow. Got 1 bass, 1 northern and a big catfish.  First time getting a cat there. Pulled like crazy and for some reason my dragged decided not to work properly. Luckily I didn’t break the line.  Lots of weeds floating at access. Had to do a lot of cleaning when I loaded up. Big thank you to the young lady checking for AIS. She helped get the weeds off, then I power washed it at home.  Good luck everyone.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some excellent walleye fishing this week.  Guides did a nice job of being versatile a couple of days when the wind really blew.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Never discount trolling.  Some good reports of trolling crankbaits with very good results.  A great way to cover water where walleyes are living.  Mix up cranks with different shapes, sizes, wobbles and colors until you get dialed in.  Good to have everyone in the boat with a different lure to start out.
      Some popular crankbait colors to start out with...  pink UV Firetiger, Firetiger, chrome / blue, gold / orange.
      More big pike surprised unsuspecting walleye anglers this week.  When you get hooked up, hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river in 8-15 feet of water.  A nice alternative to the lake for smaller boats and big blow days.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Spinners with crawlers and crankbaits are also a good option to cover water.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  Summer sturgeon fishing doesn't get attention due to walleyes but it is productive and fun.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 13-20 feet of water.  Anchored around neck down areas with a bit of current, points and around shoreline structure producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold / chartreuse is a good color this week.  Gold, glow colors and brighter colors in the stained waters are a solid choice.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, south shore of Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      I only had a very short amount of time to fish this morning, so I went to the Apple River. Even though it’s pretty close, I never go here for the simple fact, the fishing is no good! I’m just amazed at the lack of fish holding structure this particular stretch has (Star Prairie). There’s no riffles, pools, boulders, undercut banks, nothing! It’s just fast water! I did catch 1 little rainbow, and lost 2 others. So it was nice to see at least a little sign of life in Apple.

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of walleye fishing.  Jigging with a frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-25 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Some anglers locating fish shallow, especially in current areas or on a wind blown shoreline.  There are also good numbers of fish being caught anchored up in deeper water.  Different schools of walleyes are often tuned in to different bait, hence, not all walleyes are doing the same thing.  It is good to trust your electronics, try an area and if no luck, move on.  
      Jig colors, gold, orange, glow, pink, chartreuse or a mix of these colors on the same jig.
      Some good reports of trolling crankbaits where walleyes are roaming.  Crankbaits allow you to cover water and put your lure in front of a lot of walleyes.  Trolling shorelines, even if nobody else is, can produce good results.
      As is the case in a strong pike fishery, some big pike being caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  Many pike over 40 inches boated this week.
      On the Rainy River...   There is always a resident population of walleyes that live in the river even after the annual spawning run is over.  Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river.  
      Most are still jigging with a minnow.  Try current breaks or holes in the stretch of river you are fishing.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale 30 miles east of Baudette.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing this past week around the Angle.  Fish coming from 5 - 25 feet of water.  A big variance but fish the goto spots.  Neck down areas with a bit of current, points and deep edges of bays producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold and brighter colors in the stained waters have worked well.

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Wow haven't been here for a while and logged in to say hello to all of my FM family and catch up on some of the forums. . Was hoping to see some nice eye pics, some detailed  reports, hot tips,  most especially in the center parts of the state.  To my amazement very very little activity.  Glad to c the Northern Vermillion guys keeping things rolling. I guess i'll throw one up . Had a group of guys fish a couple lakes opening wknd in the Atwater area. The bite was pretty slow early but we dealt with some stained water conditions. As the sun poked her way through the clouds we finally dialed them in. Water temps were 60 degrees surface temp. The  clarity 2-3ft. Shallow areas with mixed gravel 3-6 ft of water was key.. Crazy part of the bite was we had to use small 16th oz jigs with half crawler basically dragged away from the boat. Would of thought minnows would of been ticket but found out real quick the crawlers were the answer. We had a real nice fish fry and fire and once again another opener tradition in the books.. Looking forward to tommorow as I'LL be on the water bright and early trying some new water and looking for that next bite 😃
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy.  Thanks, Andy
    • leech~~
      Did you show Boar this proof that you can catch fish? 😆
    • leech~~
      Well at least it was cooler up there then any other part of the state the last few weeks.  My wife and I went up in the spring and camped at Cascade River state park. Most of the town was shut down all together. Even to get a pizza from Sven and Oles you had to phone it in and pick it up inside. The rest of it was closed down and they said they may not open other then take out because they couldn't find anyone to work. 🙁
    • smurfy
      Some more!👍
    • smurfy
    • fishingstar
      that's how the contractor referred to as. They put a easement on my property taxes. My mortgage went up 125 a month for ten years. This was 3 years ago maybe the funds are gone.
    • Mike89
      they didn't have to here in Todd cty.   I know some folks who got it.....   
    • delcecchi
      A grant (free money) or some kind of loan?   You have to pay it back?
    • JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.   Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf.    As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.  
    • redlabguy
      I’m going to second bobbers on shallow rocks. Stick baits over shallow rocks, too. It’s not my favorite kind of fishing. I’d rather be slow trolling Lindy rigs on reefs, but that isn’t working. I know I’m not adding much but it’s all I’ve got. Tough times... we all need help. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.