• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Fished Friday through Sunday for Walleyes and had pretty good success. I bet the two of us pulled 40-50 walleyes through the holes, nearly all using a jig tipped with a minnow head. Most of the eyes were 15-18 inches, a few bigger and a few smaller. Also caught several nice perch over 10 inches and 10-15 pike. Fished in 16-17 ft of water right off the weed edge. Caught more fish in the evening, but the morning was decent as well. We were able to drive clear across the lake without seeing any slush. I think if you stay away from traffic and other houses that you can have success finding the fish.

Just curious if anyone uses dead smelt on waska for pike? Always had good luck with that, thinkin about coming up and fishing this weekend and was gonna bring a bag with me. Also, Does anyone rent out sleeper shacks on waska???

Wallsniffer...nice report! That sounds like a good time.

Jackfishr...occassionally someone comes in asking about smelt but I am not aware of anyone actually fishing with smelt...but worth a try. I know they like big shinners! smile

We have two sleepers if you are interested. Give me a call if you want more info.

Fish On!

Thought the bite was good yesterday, got to lake at 2:30 and set up on a spot from everyone. Kept 9 sunnies and 1 crappie and released many of both. Took a while to find the right hook but when we did they hammered it even with no bait never thought possible as the hook was not plastic.

There may be some private homes along there that drive out...but not public that I am aware.

Sheriff's Landing is really close...you should be able to get to where you want to go from that access.

Fish On!

planning on heading up on sat. how is the ice? slushpockets, lots of snow, or can i venture out away from the crowds?

It is great out there. They are driving around like it is a city out there. The only thing missing is traffic lights.

Sniffer

Of course we can't report on every part of the lake...it's a big lake...but for the most part you can drive where you want to. If you drive off the main areas, you are on your own since we don't know all parts of the lake. When I have driven off the main areas, it has been very firm with no issues.

I have had several people in giving very good reports on areas away from the crowds. There are so many good spots on Waska that are away from anyone else. You can see Wallsniffer's post from earlier and I would expect they ventured out and away from the crowds to find the fish they did and were probably by themselves for the most part.

I have not drilled a new hole for awhile but I would guess the ice thickness at 24 to 28 inches. Anyone got any other reports on ice thickness that they can post?

Barometer was pretty steady yesterday and rising now. Gonna be cold for the next couple days and then into some nicer weather.

Fish On!

I drove from Priests point to Swenson point all the way to the waters edge and didn't hit any slush. There were some deeper areas of snow that were tougher to get through and i wouldn't recommend pulling a house through those areas but you can definitely get around. There were some slushy areas around the shoreline by priest point (saw someone get stuck there...didn't go there myself) but for the most part it was smooth sailing.

We caught our fish away from the crowd...I would guess there wasn't a house within a mile of us...get away and find a weed line and use a nice shiny jig (dead sticks weren't very effective)!!

Might give it a try for some walleyes up there this weekend, what times are best, I'm assuming sunset, but how's the bite during the day and later in the evening??

Tough bite tonight. Marked a lot of fish, but it took a lot to get them to bite. Some more so than others. Tried alot of different presentations, but green forage minnow with a crappie minnow head was the most productive. Managed to ice nine crappies and a small walleye. All in all a good night of fishing!

Tough bite tonight. Marked a lot of fish, but it took a lot to get them to bite. Some more so than others. Tried alot of different presentations, but green forage minnow with a crappie minnow head was the most productive. Managed to ice nine crappies and a small walleye. All in all a good night of fishing!

Thanks for the report and glad to hear you got some fish.

Sniffer

Watching the barometer...it seems to be a pretty consistent pattern that when it starts going up, especially up sharply, the bite definately becomes tough. There are plenty of fish there...just tough to get them to bite. Still good fishing however. Yesterday the barometer went up sharply and I heard many report a tough bite but still go good fish. Day prior was steady to falling barometer and most reported a good bite and a few brought in their catch to show me.

Today we have a falling barometer so it should be a good bite...have to see what the reports are. smile

Making ice today!

Fish On!

Any sunfish reports from this weekend? Thinking about making a run on Monday or Tuesday if the snow holds off. Not looking for any secret spots, but what depth has been the best? Are there some plowed roads leading to the sunfish areas?

went out in bottle bay 17 fow 21 sunnies 17 crappies that we kept. threw back many smaller ones. 3 11 inch perch. sunnies bit til 4:30 and then the crappies moved in. this morn we picked up 2 sunnies. white larve for both, crappie minnows also. thanks kyle for the info, the kids and gf. had a blast. roads and ice were just fine for me i could drive anywhere. only 4 inches of snow on 28 inches of ice. few small drifts but no problem

Well, I for one REALLY appreciate anyones fishing spot tips and advice.

I could be considered a local since I live only ~20 miles from Waska. But, know what? I get out to fish only a few times per year. I don't have the time or wherewithall to keep up on all the "inside" information shared amongst the privledged few.

IMO, it's not the people traveling far and wide to get in a day's fishing you have to worry about. It's probably your neighbor, the professional weekend fisherman that makes two or three limit trips to the lake every day when the bite it on. Most likely, you know who these guys are.

There..now that I've got that off my chest....

Any hot tips for me and my cousin who will be trying to catch something on Waska this Saturday?

Say, I bet if you went in to see FishOn(Kyle), he would get you the spots where the fish are bitting. I for one who do not fish waska that much, Kyle has helped me out alot.

Some of the best fishing spots I have, I've WORKED for them and I am not willing to share. I think that goes for a lot of the anglers. I will be willing to help and guide people in the right area, but you need to catch them.

Sniffer

Thanks Sniff...sorry I had to run so fast the other day when you stopped by. Next time we will get a chance to talk.

By the way...

I finally got out on the lake for some Kyle time (barometer was falling and leveling off)...I went crappie sniffing the crappie sniffer way. smile Got out early enough to get a few sunnies and then started in on the crappies. Had a good bite going on crappie minnows but then it slowed down around 7 or 8pm...so I decided to change it up. I tied one of those glow white plastic tailed things on a rod awhile back but never got a chance to use it yet. Threw a larvae on just as Sniffer told me to do...it barely hit the bottom and I had my first crappie. smile This went on till 11:45pm when I just decided that was enough. I kept a nice limit and threw a bunch of small fish back and even a couple around 13 inches went back. Fish were still lined up on the flasher when I finally shut it down...looks like they go all night! Got 3 average pike as well that will be salted down this week to go in pickling jars. Great night on the ice.

Jimmyjigger...I think blackdog was right on with his report. There shouldn't be any issues and you should be able to catch some fish. I was on Crappie Town tonight and it is a little tighter area...but Bottle Bay is a big area and you should be able to find some spots out and away from others.

Fish On!

WallyGader...I measured them and dropped them back down the hole. There were plenty of 9.5 to 10.5 crappies to keep that were more likely males that I kept for my limit. I don't like frying big crappies either...I like my fish a little crispy. smile Released a 14.5 the other week as well so there are some nice fish around. I tried to take a photo with my cell phone but too dark in the fish house and it didn't turn out.

Fish On!

I took a picture of a "pike" that I caught when I was fishing on Waska a week ago because I thought that it looked like a Tiger Muskie...I showed the picture to a few guys and they agreed with me! Are there reports of Muskies or Tiger Muskies in the lake...or do people ever catch them?

It was pretty small, maybe 16 inches or so, but it definitely has the characteristics of a Tiger. A more vertical pattern in the spots and a spotted tail/dorsal.

Common pattern in "baby" or small pike. I remember thinking I caught a musky in northern Manitoba as a kid. Researched it, and small pike can have markings / patterns similar to muskies. I guess it's not impossible with the '80s musky stocking, but I kinda doubt all the recent musky / tiger musky sightings on 'waska lately. If they were bigger, maybe, but all the pix and stories are of small, immature pike.

Barometer is on its way down...should be good day to get out fishing...if the pattern follows. Also coming into some nicer weather and good time to plan a ice fishing trip the family.

24 to 30 inches of ice on Waska now with good travel conditions all around the lake. Accesses are all in good condition as well. Probably one of the better years I have ever seen on Waska with ice and access conditions.

Fish On!

I saw a 20-25ish lb tiger muskie while spearing last year on waska. When I was a kid you used to see them swinning around the docs near the Glenwood beach from time to time as well. Their are some in the lake.

Landdr, Are the panfish still in the 17-18ish feet range? Are any accesses plowed and open on the south shoreline near baycrest like last year? Thanks.

16 to 17 fow in Crappie Town and 16 to 18 fow or even deeper in Bottle Bay. We had some good sunfish out around School points last year as well in the shallower water from where you would walleye fish...good place to try as well.

I heard the ice heaved up some on the south side by Baycrest. Not sure how that access is but I did have some guys in just after that report that said they still went up and over it. Most I can tell ya.

Fish On!

Hey Landdr, thanks for the info. We did real well on the sunfish and managed few of everything else (crappie, perch, northern & walleye). I'm going to have to have some friends over for a fish fry, so I can go again. By the way, we were out exploring by ourselves.

Thanks Landdr for the advice and great bait. Got away from the people and had great results. Fished in 17-18 feet. Switched from red eurolarve, shrimp and waxies. As soon as they quit on one, they would start on another. C&R'd some nice bass, crappies and tons of sunfish.

Hey landdr

hoping to be around Saturday afternoon looking to take out some rookies (3 and 6 year olds---3 year olds first trip

was planning on bottle bay area. Which way is better to go north or south of sacs landing???

Hopeing to maybe keep 5-10 for a meal of sunfish the rest will be CPR with the lil ones

thanks

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions