• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I have fished minnewaska before but mostly in front of the beach and just south of the dnr landing on the glenwood side.

I would like to give it a try over by the school. Wondering what is the best way to venture over there? Is there an access to the lake that would be closer than the dnr access?

Thanks

Best accesses to School Point and School Bars would be Sheriff's Landing out from the A-frame house just before you get to the buffalo.

Just got off the lake moving a couple houses. Two-wheel drive will be ok on the roads but should have 4wd off the roads. The snow is only 10 to 12 inches deep but it is soft and hard to move around in. I didn't see any slush were I was at and the lake looks good. I estimate there was around 13 to 13.5 inches of ice where I drilled my holes.

Accesses are still in good shape and most people driving out with a few walking or ATVs.

Fish On!

Was out today and fished out from the dnr access in depths of 9-13ft. Pretty much no action from 12-3:30 except some small perch. Is this typical? I was hoping for some panfish. Any suggestions, depth, structure, etc.

Walleyewanka, you might want to move into 18-22FOW and you should get into some pannies! And welcome to MF,glad to have you here.

Sniffer

the pans started biting around 430 today and shut down at dark. Been catchin pike during the day and haven't had success with a night bite. I've been in 17 FOW.

how deep are you guys seeing weeds this year? Might head up that way tomorrow morning if i finish up pushing snow at our farm.

Weed line is around 13 to 15 fow depending on where you are at.

I am not seeing much of any panfish less than 15 fow...I am in 16.5 and most people coming into the store are in 16 to 17. This is 10 to 30 yards off the weedline. Why the panfish are out on the clean sand/silt areas it unknown. They might be feeding on cironomids or some other insect in these areas...not sure.

The bite is slower during the day...but you can still pick some fish up. We got some shrimp in yesterday and my mom started using those...really helped pick the day bite up and was rediculous later on. It barely hit the bottom and the sunnies sucked them up. There are definately more fish on the camera later in the day.

Fish On!

My house is just on the outside ring of Crappie Town in about 17 ft of water. I fished there Tuesday-Wednesday night as I stayed in my house. I got some nice Eyes, and missed a ton of fish as well. Got to wait a little longer before setting the hook when you use shiners. The eyes I got were all 16-19 inches. I plan to be back out there the 24-25.

During the day I had a lot of small northerns and had about a 4lb small mouth bass that I took a picture of and release back into the lake. I wouldn't mind some crappies and sunnies but haven't gotten into them as of yet.

Landdr, You guys open tomorrow and Saturday? I may have to try some shrimp you will have to let me know how that works when I come in as I forgot to introduce myself when I was in the other day buying shiners from you.

Is water clarity getting any better for spearing? Are guys driving full size trucks out or still mainly sticking with smaller vehicles? 13 inches of ice should be enough, but only if it is good ice. I heard lots of frozen slush (white ice) and have been told that is only have as strong as good ice. Thanks.

Mycah...exscellent report! Really a lot of nice 17 to 19 inch eyes being caught. Were yours as "fat" as the ones we have been getting? Amazing how round they are...like footballs. They are eating good! You will have to try the shrimp...my mom was having a great bite with them yesterday and I think she has dad trying them today. He got tired of watching her 10 to 1 outfishing him. Go with a small hook...#14 I find is the best.

We will be open every day thru the holidays...will close x-mas morning however and then open in the afternoon for those who want to get out fishing then.

I don't know if water clarity has improve that much...it is ok but not as clear as it was last year. Should be getting better however. Most people are spearing in 8 to 12 fow from what I have heard.

Waska has really good ice...about 13.5 inches in the holes I drilled yesterday and not far away they said had 15. I am not sure if that 15 is correct so I would report around 13 inches. Full sized trucks have been on the lake for a couple weeks now.

Fish On!

Thanks for giving the update on store hours. Planning on heading up to Waska on Sunday/Monday for the rest of the week. Hope the positive bite reports keep comming in.

Anyone got news on pheasants hunting?

I have heard good bird numbers...I have been too busy to get out but plan to get out with the dogs yet. Pope County has a lot of public land...bring the gun and dog along as well as the fishing gear. smile We do have some private land available for an access fee if you are interested in that. Some of the best habitat...native grass, food plots, trees and a lot of birds. Access fees go to the landowner to help with the cost of the food plots and feeders so it is a real win-win.

I don't expect the bite to slow down...if anything it will pick up as the zooplankton populations deminishes even more. Last year some people went out and away from the groups of houses and found some really great panfish...I would highly recommend trying that. You can find some really nice fish and a little more privacy. Waska is a big lake and a lot of area to explore...7,100 acres is equivalent to 7,100 football fields in comparison.

Fish On!

Thanks for the report FishOn! If the panfish bite is anything like last year, this year should be awesome.

Sniffer

Hey Landdr, me and the wife are coming up to Waska on Monday. My buddy told me to stop in and see you for a map so I am thinking we should be there no later than 1:00. I hope the eyes are biting along with everything else. See ya then!

worked till 12 today and then hit the lake for the first time. caught 8 nice sunnies, very slow but there lots of bass and northerns just not set up for them today. if you dont have a four wheel drive it isnt very good out there seen lots of two wheel drives stuck. ice where i was at was only 12 at the most but drove my f 150 out no problems. alot of slush and water out there.

You can get eyes thru the day as they have been active...see them on the camera occassionally as we fish sunnies and crappies. We are not actively fishing them but do keep a small shiner down for them and usually get one or two. Several spots to try. Best bite for eyes is still from 3pm or so til late in the evening...even a few thru the night.

hunter76...we have the free print out maps at the counter to help you out with accesses and spots to start with.

I have not been on the lake for a few days so I am not sure of the conditions...I would recommend 4wd of course. If you come with a 2wd, don't go far from the roads.

Fish On!

I'm looking to bring my lilboy up Tuesday or Wednesday and was wondering how the panfish bite was going. I was hopping to fish on the glenwood end. Any better time of the day

any advice would be apprieciated

thanks

Coming from Cloud area. Need advice. I would like to fish the southern portion of these untouched cabbage beds...I like to venture off on my own away from people, more of a challenge and private. I sold my truck and have a car unfortunately. Can I park on the side of a road and get onto the lake anywhere to this side?

Just pick a lake and go, there's only 10,000 to choose from! Why take other people's spots when you probably find a better one with in the course of a day of fishing hard and finding the fish? I can't stand these guys who come up for a weekend, drop their perms right on top of the fishing spot you worked hard to find, really appreciate it guys! It's ridiculous, put your time in, and find your own spots, and be respectful of others that have done the same!

Landdr- Was thinking of maybe heading up tomorrow til wednesday. Was gonna bring by 6x12 and the dodge dakota..how's the snow/travel conditions on the lake? Can a guy get far off the paths or is there a bunch of slush now? Looking to catching some panfish and maybe snag a walleye through the night! Thanks for any new reports!

I was up this weekend. Some guys are driving out there but I drilled about 6 holes setting up tip ups and it was anywhere from 7-13 inches of ice depending on the hole. I wouldn't drive out and left my pick up on shore.

I was gone for family x-mas stuff out of town...so I will have to catch up a little. smile

firefish...best panfish bite is Bottle Bay in 16 to 17 fow. This is a big area so pays to spend some time looking for fish before you set up. Definately a good bite and nice sized fish. 3pm to sunset is the best bite but shrimp work really good during the day to trigger bites as well. A lot of pike and a few walleyes thru the day so you might have some fun with that as well.

Sartellangler...there is a nice spot off Baycrest where you can either park along the road or best would be to park just onto the lake. You can go out from there to explore that area. There are a few people over in that area.

usmtrocks...I have not been out on the lake for a few days but I would think there are enough roads and paths out there to get around. If you venture off those, then you definately will need 4wd.

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions