• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Hey Landdr. I'm coming up this weekend, just wondering if anyones been having any luck and how the ice is doing?

Most of the ice reports are now around 8 inches...but still very cold nights so that number might be going up. There are more perm houses out every day and the lake is starting to take shape. I heard there was a small car out from the north side yesterday as well...it was small and probably weighed less than the fish houses out there.

I would expect we will start seeing more and more 14 an 16 ft houses this weekend as people start getting out.

The Glenwood Beach landing is good shape. I have not checked Lakeside or any of the north side landings but will try to give a report by this weekend. There were several using the south side of the DNR landing...walking and ATVs...I will have to check the north side.

I am waiting for a part for my ARGO to have my tracks on...if I can get that by the weekend, I will try to get out and establish some roads.

I heard some excellent walleye reports and then I have heard some pretty poor ones. Just have to get out there and start learning. Not enough panfish guys back to give any reports and I have not had a chance to get out yet...maybe tonight after deer hunting. smile

Fish On!

Anybody spearing on Minnewaska? I tried some late season spearing last year and had no luck, but I heard they were running early season last year...

Got a house out yesterday...Glenwood Beach landing was in excellent shape and easy on.

About 8 to 9 inches of ice...with the continued cold temps that is probably going up every day.

Only about 4 inches of very fluffy snow. Very easy to get around and can get to anywhere on the lake you want to...maybe even try out some new spots or spots you can't get to as well later. Snow was easy to shovel and banked the house very quickly. What a change that is from past years!

Fished out from the Beach from around 3pm til 8pm...and not one bite. I heard one house got 4 eyes but mostly there were not good reports. If after eyes, you might want to venture out to the Gravel Grade, School Bars, School Point, Priest's Point, etc. With the easy travel, maybe even try over by Peter's and Swenson Point. 99% chance I will be moving that house today. smile

Several panfish guys headed out yesterday and I am hoping they will be back in soon for a report...no reports on panfish as of yet but most are just trying to get set up yet.

Fish On!

Forgot...yes, there are people out spearing. I have not heard any reports on how they are doing or water clarity as of yet. I would think with the number of pike in the lake that they should be seeing good numbers.

FYI...for this year's Cub Scout Fishing Derby, they asked if I could put on some events and educational stuff for the kids. One of the ideas was to set up a spear house near where the kids are fishing in the derby and give them a spearing experience...how the house is set up, hole cut, watching for pike, using decoys, how to drop a spear, etc. If there are any spear people that would like to move their house over by the Beach to help with this, let me know. The Derby is sometime in the beginning of February.

We were also thinking of a football pass, kick and punt tourney and turkey bowling. If anyone else has ideas, let me know.

Thanks!

Fish On!

Landr, what about maybe a putting contest on the ice with a Putter and a tennisball or something of that nature? Just a thought smile

Great idea! Much like our Ice Golf that we have on Waska every year. Thanks!

The Glenwood Beach landing looked to be one of the better landings...lower grade, smooth and free. You can go anywhere you want from there. I cut across with a house yesterday to get over towards Bottle Bay without any issues. There is more parking at the Beach as well.

Sherriff's landing is an option but not much of any parking off the lake. Probably 10 inches or more of ice by shore so your call on parking on the lake. This landing will give you a closer prximity to Bottle Bay, School Bars, School Point and The Hole.

The Lake Association has a landing on the west side of Priest's Point if you want to access that area. They ask that you buy a membership and have a lake association sticker visibal in the vehicle to use the access. We have memeberships and stickers at the store if anyone is interested.

Two days ago I had about 9 inches of ice by The Beach and yesterday I had about 10 inches out from Torgy's. There are a few more small vehicles venturing out on the ice...but be safe...all of this ice was just made over the past couple weeks. I put the camera down and there were about a dozen sunnies on the screen. I didn't have time to fish however...had to get out to the deer stand! smile

Fish On!

Yes...can only post one photo however. I would like to have more but the site doesn't allow for more than one. HabitatNOW dot com and then go to the on-line store and then to fish house rentals.

I should clarify...most accesses are pretty good for ATV traffice...even the Lakeside Ballroom access that many use each year. But from what I can see, The Beach is the best right now for getting fish houses on. Sherriff's Landing is probably pretty good too but the parking is the issue unless you are thinking of parking on the ice.

Fish On!

Weekend's report for accesses and ice conditions...

Glenwood Beach...access is in great shape and pretty smooth grade down to the ice. Good access to get houses on and you can go anywhere on the lake from there. I have used this access to get houses on without any issues and then headed across the lake to other destinations. only about 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ice and the lake looks like a picture. A lot of parking available and many are parking on the lake now.

Lakeside Ballroom...good access for ATVs. I will check if the City can do some maintenance on the accesses for the weekend. It is still a very good access for ATVs and good parking.

DNR Landing...both sides are in great shape. ATVs have been going off the south side for some time now but more are using the boat ramp now. Ramp is clean and a nice grade for putting houses on. Not much snow so also a good access to head out from. Good sized parking lot.

Sherriff's Landing...also appears to be in good shape but I did not drive down into it. Nice level grade to come onto the lake.

I am seeing more cars and small trucks out on the ice. There is a good 10 inches or more of ice and should be making more every night.

Had some descent reports in today for walleye, sunfish and crappie. Getting good crappie reports which is good to hear. A lot of pike being seen and caught as well. Put the camera down in my new spot and right away there was a walleye on the screen...not bad. Had to come back into the store to work however so it'll have to wait.

Fish On!

landr, I have question for you... totally unrelated to fishing. Every yr for the past 5 yrs now i have been doing the Polar Plunge for Special Olympics of Minnesota in Spicer the last Sat of January. Would you be willing to donate to the plunge? Every dollar helps and my goal is to raise 1,500.00 for a great charity. The only thing I get out of it is the fun, and the cold i catch afterwards.lol. If not i understand, but would you at least be willing to put a collection jar in your baitshop if I bring all the information for it? Just a thought, let me know if you can be of any assistance smile

teejay

Definately bring the collection jar by and we will see what we can get for you. Winterama also has a polar plunge...maybe you need to go for a dip in Waska as well! They are trying to get me to do it...but I like to stay warm! smile

Fish On!

Fished Minnewaska Weds and Fri. Weds fished alone and located a lot of little perch, but could not find any quality fish. Friday fished afternoon into evening with a buddy. Moved out a little farther than Weds. Iced 5 walleye ranging 14'' to 18'', with some perch mixed in. Lost a couple at the hole off rattle reel. Fishing over about 18' to 20' FOW. Northland rattle spoon seemed to be the ticket. Ice conditions excellent for travel pretty much anywhere by sled/ wheeler. We'll have to see after the snow . . .

Was out yesterday was a nice day for fishing. Stopped at Fish on bait to start the day Kyle it was good to meet you and you were very helpful. Think we caught 6 northern kept 2. Started by some houses then went a ways away. Caught 15 craps and a bunch of sunnies only kept one [PoorWordUsage] a little on the small side around 9" would have been biggest. Seen all kinds of fish on the camera. We left the lake at 5:30 pm. Not bad for first time ever on lake and fishing four hours. Hope to get up there again but hopefully do better. Is there big pike out there we didnt catch any over 25" and seen others had little ones also. Not to keep but put up more of a fight on the tip up? Oh we ended up in 10' to 12' of water.

I was think of coming that way, do you think that people will be driving pickups on the lake next weekend with the cold temps that we are going to get. Also I was wondering if a guy could set up and catch sunfish during the day and walleyes and night in the same holes?

I do not think that is going to be problem. Trucks and cars are driving on lakes this weekend and with very cold temps coming...........no problem.

Sniffer

Sunfish and walleyes often go hand in hand on Minnewaska. Used to catch sunfish in 8-9 feet of water out from the city hall, and literally move 50 yards and catch walleyes in 9 feet of water at dark. The walleyes would come in to feed on the perch and baitfish at dusk.

glenwood, keep going on 28 and on the right there will be a parking lot and a tiny little "Town Hall." Park there and walk out. The fish used to come in there, but they haven't for a while. I don't know if they still do.

Slurpie...great to hear you got into some fish. Most people are not catching limits but are catching a lot of different fish...multi-species. On Waska ya never know what is going to come up the hole. My father is trying to find some crappies, so maybe you can help him out on that.

As Sniffer said, sunfish and crappies often roam the same waters. Crappie Town, Bottle Bay or even The Road Grade might be places to try out.

I have seen small cars and trucks as well as a few bigger vehicles out. I drove my Ford Escape out yesterday without issue. When a Suburban drove by my house, I didn't even hear the ice crack...that is unusual and shows the ice is really hard. There is 11 inches or more out there now and even more under the plowed roads. I have been using the DNR access now...very nice grade and plowed roads out from there.

City Hall...might be refering to the "Long Beach" City Hall since the Glenwood City Hall is in the center of the town. The Long Beach Hall is at the east end of Bottle Bay...I heard some crappies coming out of that area.

2F this morning...outa be making some ice this morning! At least the wind went down.

Always 65 and sunny in the fish house!

Fish On!

Thanks for the report Fish-On. It looks like I will be on the prawl for crappies next weekend. whistle

Sniffer

Fished Waska Sat. for 6 hours and got 1 bite between 3 of us in a spot that usually produces some walleyes. I think ice-fisherman need to check ice with their rulers instead of their weiners(not directed towards anyone in particular, just being funny) because where I was there was maybe 8 inches of ice. I don't count the snow on top as ice, or the top of the fish house floor. Also have been fishing Le Homme Dieu and have been getting 1-2 eyes each night but they are small. As of Fri. there was 6-7 inches of ice there.truck on the ice as well. Why do people park on the ice by shore? Is it that hard to walk the extra 50 feet? I don't get it! Be safe everyone and good luck.

Got the family out tonight for some fishing...nice to get everyone out together. We ended up keeping 4 pike and 2 walleyes...eyes were 18 and 19 inches. Seen sunnies travel thru but didn't have anything down for them so we just watched them. Many other bass and pike thru the camera along with another handful of eyes. Played cards and had a good time. Now fish for supper.

Fish On!

3 to 5 inches I heard but I think most of it blew off the lake except for drifts zround the houses. More people driving out now.

Just wondering how think the ice is and if people are driving full size pickups out yet with fish houses? Any information would be great, thanks!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions