• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

looking at possibly coming up there next saturday or sunday for the last weekend of walleye fishing. Just wondering if there is much happening up there with the eyes and crappies or not really. I have never fished Osakis so I don't know a thing about the lake. Any info would be great. Thanks guys!

Just got home from waska and let me tell you what this was a great time for my son and I had a couple bumps right away on the lake like my 4 wheel drive went out on my truck but a couple nice locals helped me get unstuck then it was off to see if landdr's reports were on and I couldnt belive it the fish were biting like crazy.

I stopped by landdr's bait shop and got some of the bait he said to use and the price was nice and the person working there was reaaly helpful in telling us were to fish and what to accept for the fish.

roads on the lake were alright and if you got a 4x4 you can go most anywhere and I did see a number of cars out on the ice and they did get around fairly well.

Joey the fisherman and myself got on the fish(sunnys) right away Of course Joey picked up the first one and it was a dandy a solid 9 incher then it was weed thru a couple until we started getting a few nicer ones. we kept enough for a good meal probally caught a hunderd or so fish in all sizes.

I also talked with a few spearing guys and man do I wish I would off broiught my spear shack cause as landdr said you can see bottom in 15 FOW and these guys saw a few pike on the bottom and one guy got one around 8 lbs. I also had a couple of my decoys with and one is a perch that laska (HSO member) made so I asked this guy if he'd like to use try it and he did he said he had one pike circle the hole but wouldnt come in.

I will be back to fish and SPEAR some pike in this body of water.

Finally it was getting to the end of the day we took off from the lake and went by landdr's shop and he was in so I had to stop and say hi

It was really nice to meet you Kyle and thanks for your reports keep them coming I know I will use them. Oh and you guys out there I never left with any free lures or a thousand dollars his guarantee stands as far as I know.

Thanks again Kyle hope to see you soon

Oh BTW Joey really got me going cause every time he'd set the hoolk he'd yell FISH ON man did we laugh

So FISH ON, FISH ON

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looking for good information on the current bite on Minnewaska. Please keep posts on topic and within forum policy.

Thank You.

I was on waska yesterday and did well on sunnies, went off of lakeside ballroom to start. drove out to an area in between 2 bigger groups of permenants ,when we started, we were the only ones in our area.. by midmorning, the whole area was swamped with anglers. later in the day we went off of woodlawn and found a few sunnies but they were smaller.. I did lose 1 walleye while fishing pike on the bottom of the hole though. smile

I also was on waska yesturday and did very well on the south side of the group of houses out from the lakeside ballroom Joey and I caught around a hundred sunnies and the smallest of jigs were the ticket tipped with waxies or maggots the color was green or perch pattern. 16 fow and 1-2 foot off the bottom

I was out Saturday morning and stayed until Sunday morning. Decided there were to many people out from lakeside in the group so I went off to one side. The wife and I had our limit of flops in about 3 hours. We were being picky after our first limit. Thanks for the shrimp Kyle. You weren't there, but those things were the ticket. At 1:30 moved to some structure way off the beaten path for some walleye and continued to catch flops and then a walleye came in and grabbed a fathead (nice 15") then another. At 2am the rattle reel sounded off and I pulled another nice eye. Nothing after that. I got up about 7am and caught & released some more flops. The wife & I had a great time. The camera worked better than the vex. I left @ 8am and headed home.

Wow, I guess I was doing something wrong. My pops and I tried out by lakeside, kinda in the middle of the whole ordeal. We didn't try to be in the middle, but after getting there at 7:00am and flipping the house over, 2 straight hours of augers drilling and opening the house, we were in the middle. eek Too many people on the weekends, I'll try during the week. 3 sunfish kept. Schwanny, what are FLOPS?

Just another word I use for sunfish. Sunflops, floppers, ect. I should have clarified. Stcloudangler, that is one big area out there. Just get away from everybody. These fish are not pressured as much and are more willing to bite. Try to do your own thing and sometimes it really pays off.

Stcloud.. I too was there at 7 am.. right in the middle.. if you saw an older maroon explorer behind a red ford truck it was my buddy and I..lol

can anyone point me in the right direction, just wondering what access a guy should go on to find some crappies? I usally go off the one that you donate to. I guess i could just stop in and ask landdr but just curious. not looking for spots just wondering where crappie town or what ever it is called is on waska. It is to bad because i liked looking in for the reports ya left landdr. thanks

to get to crappie town use the lakeside ballroom access and its off to your left.. Theres a few houses out that way yet

Sorry i am not sure where that is, still learning, is that closer to glenwood or by sherriffs landing. Took the day off and going to try for some tommorrow, i havent seen many yet so i figure i will give it a go

crue86 I haven't heard of anyone catching many crappies, I would stick to bluegills straight out from Lakeside in Glenwood

some guys are picking up one or two crappies but nothing special

by the way you dont need to fish inside the group, the bluegills are in most directions, dont just drill your 2 holes and pop up shack for the day, fish a hole for 10 minutes and move

Lakeside ballroom access is right in Glenwood. look 4 the huge building on shore and thats the ballroom.. access is a bit rough right by shore but other than that it's in great shape

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Let's keep this on topic about fishing reports and fun informative posts folks.

That's what the thread is here for. Have fun and enjoy. smile

I just want to be heard as saying this is one of the most informative threads I have found for ice fishing. I drive from Montevideo just to fish Waska because of Landdrs' and others fishing reports. Thanks for all the advice and keep up the good work.

Ibleed.... I work in Monte and live in Benson, plan on goin this weekend, are ya interested in taggin along?

Hey...the thread it back! Yaaaaaaa!

Thanks Rick. You're da man.

Just for that I will come back also. Believe me...it has been hard watching and not helping out.

Teejay...you better stick to fishing rather than giving directions. That poor guy you sent off Lakeside to get to Crappie Town is going to have a tough haul over there. To get to Crappie Town you need to go off the DNR access and hang a left. Last time I was there the road was pretty good.

The crappie bite has been scattered...there are some folks getting into a few however. If I were to try for crappies, there are two "tight" contours in Crappie Town that I would go to.

Got a couple of eyes out in School Bar...I see them on the camera but heck if they'll bite. Nice to see them but frustrating as they would look a lot better in my pail. Maybe one more time out and then I am pulling the house in.

By the way, I did get a response back from Rep. Paul Anderson regarding extending the shelter season to March 15th for the south part of the state. (north MN already has that) He liked the idea and is checking into it. Do an internet search for him to get his email...send him an email in support and maybe we can keep some houses on the lakes for a little longer...the ice is certainly in great shape!

Panfish have been really steady out from Lakeside. My son and I went out on Sunday and brought home about 30 really nice ones...most where 8 to 10 with many 9 to 10...but kept a couple a little less than 8 as well. That was enough to clean. There were fish all over the camera steady. Some really big pike as well but they would have nothing to do with my sucker minnows. Spear guys are doing pretty good out there however.

I tried the larvae and could not get the gills to bite so I stuck with shrimp and that worked great. I have some that come in and report they did fine with larvae and others that have the same report as me...they would just look at the larvae but would nail the shrimp. You will have to see what works for you. Small jigs were definately a must with #14 being the most popular...not really a color but pink/white did seem to work a little better for me but I wouldn't say it was a make or break thing.

I have had many people ask what time is the best bite. I have not fished the morning so I don't really know...I have always gone out after noon. But Chad from Ken's Bait was up early on Saturday and expressed they caught a few smaller gills early but the bite picked up around 10am and I had expected as well. However, come early if you want to try for some of the early feeding pike.

Fish On!

Thank you! Appreciate everyone's support and reports as well.

Also...if anyone has any interest in waterfowl, check into the post on "MN bluebill thoughts" in the Ducks - Geese - Waterfowl forum. Most people that fish are also interested in ducks...so check that post out for some information.

Fish On!

GREAT to see ya back landdr. I didnt make it out anyways to blustery (wind) but get the kids this weekend and will try then, problably stop in and say hi. Good to see your reports, i have always checked in for the information you have always put me towards a good bite....

So far so good Teejay.

Reports today were pretty good again with most catching a limit or close to a limit of gills. Cold one today on the ice! Tomorrow is supposed to be the warm up and the weather looks great for the weekend. Shrimp were still the reported bait of choice along with small tackle.

A lot of reports of pike in the area. Spear guys should be happy with that and this weekend is the last chance for spearing. Water clarity is really good and sounds like the pike really come in on decoys well.

Fish On!

Teejay, thanks for the invite. I promised my friends little brother that I would take him out on Saturday so I will have my hand full trying to catch him some fish. Sunday I have to stick around town for the boys band concert. Why don't you sent me an e-mail with a number and we can try to hook up on the ice Saturday. My e-mail is [email protected].

Landdr, will you be in the bait shop on Saturday morning?? I planned on stopping in picking up the box from that camera that I purchased from you the other weekend. And to also get some of that shrimp that the gills love so much. Thanks

Landdr;

Send me an e-mail, would like to know where you're located. Will be comming to town on Fri. Am comming to town on 55 from the west. Thanks!

Weather looks like it is really going to work out for the weekend. Great opportunity to get out on the lake where ever you might be going.

Ibleedice...the box with the manual and charger are on the shelf across from the counter. I may or may not be in depending on what time. This weekend is "ice golf" on Waska so we will be doing that...A LOT of fun! It will start at Lakeside Ballroom this year with registration starting around 9am but you can register any time of day and head out. From what I understand, there will be a front 7 and back 7 to start teams consisting of 3 players...best ball. You are allowed one club and a tennis ball. Lakeside will have some specials and hours-devours going on as well. If you are around and interested, come on over to Lakeside and register...bring 3 players or hop on a team. Teams are allowed a "sleigh" to port their beverages and supplies around on the course. Always a lot of fun!

Fish On!

Landdr, I've been reading theses post for awhile, wondering where you are located. I was down there last weekend and the bait shop I stopped at had no shrimp?

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions