• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I am not a complex fisherman...to much Norweigan in me...keep it really simplpe. smile You will have to show me all that stuff when you stop by.

You will be able to site fish on Waska as well but I use the camera for locating especially and then also for fishing.

Fish On!

Sounds good, looking forward to making swiss cheese out of some ice this weekend!! I see you guys talking about shrimp?? Are you using freshwater shrimp like Devils lake is full of then?? are they in minnewaska as well??

Hey Landdr, I purchased a camera from you this last weekend. It did not come with a manual, and I was wondering how long to charge the battery. I am using a 12v trickle charger on the 2 amp setting. I found a household charger, but it did not seem to work. The link for the manual at fishtv was broken so I figured I would ask you. We had success using the camera and shrimp, out from lakeside in 16-18 fow. The only thing the sunnies wanted was the shrimp. I also had a large northern swim in and lay on the bottom under my shiner for well over an hour. Before we left I was thumping him on the head with my shiner and he wouldn't even move. It didn't matter what I through at him, he was not interested.

Boji?? when did you plan to go?? I'm always lookin 4 a fishin partner as the wife wont icefish..lol i was thinkin early sat am.. lemme know if you are interested.. Kyle i should be there by 7 if you will b there by 7.. lol

Headed up tommorow night, its me and 3 others, we will prolly try and get out tommorow evening then head out in front of lakeside sat am... Will be in a 1/2 ton greyish silverado with trailer w/gear, will be in a Fish Trap Yukon, Fish Trap Pro and a Clam 5600... was hoping to bring a sled to be more mobile but I don't think thats gonna happen. Swing by if you see us..

Those are the shrimp...but I am using smaller ones due to the gills appearing to prefer small jigs and small bait. I find this size is working really well.

I am sure Waska was full of them in the past as many lakes in the state were. Due to several factors, many lakes no longer have shrimp...or some have the VERY small Hyella genus which is pretty common in lakes and wetlands, but these are so small that they often do not make a major impact as a food source for fish and waterfowl. Fish and Waterfowl prefer the Gammarus genus which are much larger...up to 3/4 inch long. The most common for fish and waterfowl is the Gammarus lacustris or the Lake Shrimp...this is what we have. We first had them in our tanks being stored and prepared for stocking in ponds for duck hunters...but then the fish guys seen them! Now they expect me to have Gammarus on hand for fishing...which is easy enough to do since we harvest gallons and gallons for stocking ponds. Interesting stuff.

ibleedice...sorry...I forgot to give you the box. It is at the counter with the manual in it. I also have the charger in back. I was so excited to get you out fishing that I forgot to give you everything else. Just swing by and you can pick those items up. That pike was fat and happy.

See you then...looks like a great weekend!

Fish On!

I just throw a good scoop of them in a leech container and call it good. There are probably 100 of them in there...never have counted them but you welcome to and let me know what you come up with. smile Remember that we harvest gallons and gallons of these things, so a good scoop is not much shrimp to me. I probably spill more than that. I heard they sell them by the dozen or two dozen down in the cities...I could not imagine.

I am still waiting for someone to eat a few and tell me what they taste like...shrimp smoothie! I love shrimp...maybe a person could blend these up and make "shrimp cakes" out of them?? laugh

Fish On!

Several people have asked how you hook these shrimp. I will try to upload a photo to help with this...

shrimp.jpg

At this time of year and with water temps below 50F, most shrimp will be "mated pairs"...the male and female are hooked up in some Discovery Channel stuff going on. If the water temp gets above 50F, then they will do their thing. You will see in the photo some of the shrimp are hooked up...the male is the larger one on top.

The black arrow points at the head and the red arrow points at the tail. I reach into the container and grab a few and then narrow it down to holding on of the males between my thumb and finger with the tail end out and the male's back on top. This makes it really easy to slide the hook either thru the side of the back tail or thru the top of the back going down.

I usually go thru the back and down. This makes sure the hook goes thru a more solide piece of the carapace...and I feel it holds the shrimp on the hook better.

I do not hook the female. If she hangs on thru all this, I simply send both down. If she later releases and swims off, that will either be chumm'in or stocking. If she releases while I am handling them or drops on the floor, I usually just toss her into the hole and let her swim off.

Don't insert the hook too far up on the carapace (center of the shrimp) as you can kill them. Just try to find a happy medium.

Fun stuff!

Fish On!

Is it legal to put shrimp in are lakes? I do not know and am wondering, why dont we put them in all of are lakes?

Sorry...I thought it was an informative post since many people don't know what they are or how to fish with them.

Just an FYI...I don't have any cameras to sell. I posted the information because I thought it was good advice on how to locate your fish before fishing.

Shrimp are considered "bait" and just as with minnows, etc., they will occassionally be released into the lake. Shrimp are "native" to almost the entire part of the USA so it is not a release of an exotic species, etc. Shrimp are actually highly beneficial for a lake both as fish forage and waterfowl food.

Why don't we put them in all of our lakes? That is a very good question and I have been working hard on giving seminars and getting information out there on shrimp as well as several other beneficial items such as wild rice, sago and celery. It has definately been an uphill battle. I personally feel that are ponds and lakes in MN are, for the most part, dead. There are very few ponds/lakes that currently have the "best" food sources...most are over run by coontail, milfoil and large leafed pondweeds. We can change that, I have a lot of good ideas to do this, but it starts with getting people informed about this stuff. Thus...the post about shrimp and how to use it. This has now made more people aware of what shrimp are, what they look like and their benefits. It got you to ask a VERY good question didn't it? And I appreciate that question and the opportunity to respond.

Fish On!

Sounds like some great reports. I know Shrimp work well in Osakis so why not for other lakes. This is the first I've heard of them being used on Waska but a great idea.

Is the water really clear? Thinking of heading to Waska in the am to spear a few northerns but heard it was dirty earlier in the year. How deep can you see?

Thanks

just wanted to say thanks landdr on the advice of where to go caught a bunch of sunnies. saw alot of them. when i first set up not many around but after a 10 mins. they showed up and hung aruond the whole time i was out thanks again

Lugnut...thanks for the report. I wished I could have fished for awhile yesterday but...maybe today. smile

Fishinbum...we have had excellent water clarity all year so I am not sure where you got that information. I can easily see the bottom in 18 fow. Most are spearing in 15 to 18 fow from what I have heard. Really some nice pike that have been taken so far...one fella got a 40+ one day and another 40+ the next day. Pretty nice! A lot of 30s around as well.

Fish On!

Hey landrr thancks for all the advice so far. Planning on heading up there tomorrow. Going to stop by your shop for some shrimp, hooks, and advice. How's the walleye bit been? I'm hoping to target the sunnies first then go after some eyes later in the afternoon. What has been the best time for sunnies and eyes?

Thanks for the report Landrr. I was on the school side when a guy was talking about water clarity. Maybe I misunderstood him. Would you suggest going out from the ballroom and finding that 15-18 ft of water? Maybe on the edge of the sunnies or has there been a better place where pike are roaming?

Thanks a bunch for the reports,

Fishinbum...most of the pike have been speared in from Bottle Bay. But around or in from where everyone is fishing gills I would think would be fine as well. There is a nice ridge that runs along that area that is in from the panfish guys. Where there is food...I would think there would be pike.

Hookjunior...not many fishing eyes right now but still some of course. Most are out around School Bars and School Point. Best time for eyes is still from 3 to 9 with 5 to 7 being prime time. I have heard some say there is a good morning sunfish bite and others say afternoon. Just got to get started...it's still fish'in rather than catch'in.

I am hearing a few more reports on isolated panfish bites...if the food sources are getting depleated, we might see more of a broad area bite which would be nice to spread everyone out.

Appreciate the reports back as well...always nice to hear how people did and what worked or didn't work.

Fish On!

Thanks for the reports. Very helpful indeed and I will post my results as well. What exactly do they consider bottle bay? Is that on the school side between the school and the access by the dnr/fisheries?

Bottle Bay is nor really a "bay" but the area would be west of Woodland Point (Torgys') and east of School Point...is that makes any sense. DNR landing is in Torgy's Bay...which is more like a bay.

Fish On!

Landdr, hopefully you turned the poacher in that took 40+ inch northern one day and the next. Because you can only have 1 over 30 inch in possesion, and three northerns total. I am sure he ate the fish before he speared the next. Hopefully you educated him with that info or turned him into CO Kurt Nelson. Thanks for all the info on shrimp and I will have to get down on Minnewaska sometime during the week, so I do not have to be with the zoo of people that are out there on the weekends. I myself kind of like the peace and quiet when I am fishing. Hard to do that on weekends on Minnewaska. Hopefully we can have open water soon, easier to get away from people then. I am the one that likes to fish by himself and catch 1 or 2 or find a hotspot and have it all to myself, then fish in a crowd.

Hemmm...I didn't even think of the possession potential. I knew he was good for the day...but I did not think of the possession. I will educate next time I see him. I know he is from a big family and they like fish...so I am sure they are both gone. Thanks for making me aware of that.

I hear ya on the crowd...I just close the door on my fish house and have my peace and quite. smile

Have a good weekend!

Fish On!

Kyle, it's lookin like I cannot go til sunday... can you open at 7 then? or do I need to wait til 8?? I prefer 7 but it's your business, and if you ever need sumone to run your store, i will volunteer anytime you need me.when im not fishin of course smile

TeeJay...do you fish 24-7? smile

I will try to be in earlier on Sunday and I should be able to make 7 am...otherwise grab a coffee at one of the local places and I should be there shortly.

Fish On!

change of plans again, i will be there tomorrow at 7 am smile I need to discuss some fishing things with you also if you dont mine me pickin ur brain a bit.. see ya tomorrow! smile

Teejay...I could compare you with someone else I know for the number of times you change your mind. smile See you in the AM.

Just got back in from fishing with "mom"...what a hoot! I forgot to take pics on the lake and while fishing like my idol Jake does...I gotta remember to do that but the fishing was pretty intense.

We came back with about 30 of the biggest which is probably more than we want to clean but we are going to treat my 92 yr old grandma to a fish fry...she LOVES sunfish. Should be great.

Most of what we caught were 7 to 9 inchers again...nice eating size. Threw maybe a dozen back that were on the small side. Even caught a couple of grass carp...but we eat those too like true Norweigans. This is a photo of one of the 9 inchers laying across my big paw.

sunfish9.jpg

I had some people in today that said the gills were biting on larvae so we took along larvae and shrimp. I just could not get a decent bite on larvae so I switched back to shrimp and both mom and I had a very steady bite with the shrimp. We were using the #14 Marmooska with the shrimp through the top of the carapace. Shrimp held on really good and not an issues. (sorry if this is blurry but hopefully you will get the idea)

marmooskashrimp.jpg

There were some huge pike moving through the area as well. I even seen a small pike lay on the bottom and couldn't figure out why...until a monster pike came by about 3 feet of the bottom. That small pike knew he was potential dinner!

Seen a few crappies but no biters. Maybe there might be a later crappie bite but not sure...it has potential.

Back to work...

Fish On!

Hey Landdr, was just curious as to what time your open til in the afternoon/evening? I am not able to make it this weekend but my buddies are still on their way up right now.. Was just curious about your hours. Thanks

My son's basketball grade is getting announced at half time at tonight basketball game so I will be heading out around 6:30pm or so.

Thanks for checking.

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions