• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I believe last year they a long ways out from Lakeside in an open area where there were no houses...but not to far out of course. If I recall, last year they had a very good show for not being the 4th of July or Waterama. It is amazing how expensive it is to put on a really great fireworks show. There is a lot that goes into it however.

Fish On!

hey landdr, or anyone else that might have the information on winterama up there. I see the fishing contest is at 1 to 3 my question is there a web site for more information on it. I have never been to it and was thinking of bringing the kids to it but not sure how it works. And would like to no more info on it if possible so i no what to expect and bring thanks in advance...

Jake...got swamped yesterday and only got out to set up house and drill some holes. I fished for maybe a 1/2 hour but then had to head to basketball. Too much to do today but we are thinking Friday has a chance. Let me know if anything works out for you.

Fish On!

i ended up going out shed hunting. didnt find anything tho.

Landdr all you have to do is keep the fat heads in stock. I have been sitting on a spot all winter that keeps producing walleyes but I have to move my house for a trip up to Red lake where I am going to finish my ice season. I have been on a sand bar straight out from the high school and there is only a couple houses out there. Sitting in 18 fow. The walleyes have been mixed with a few large mouth. Nice sized bass and the walleyes average 17 inches.

More information on Winterama can be found by doing an internet search for "Glenwood Winterama" and you will find more info and contact information on the events.

SJS...I have been moving all around out on School Bars with varrying results. I definately see a lot of eyes on the camera but getting them to bite is another feat. Are you jigging or just setting rattles down? Stop in you get a chance. We just moved two houses over to a spot to try and left one house back over where we keep seeing a lot of eyes. Maybe you can give me some ideas on how to get them to open their moouths. smile

Fish On!

Landdr all I have been doing is rattle wheels with red hooks and chartreuse glow gem"n"eyes. If I see them on the vex I leave them alone. If they aren't around I start bang the buckshot rattle spoon til they come in to take a look and then lay off again. I have only caught one eye on the buck shot this year so its more like my fish call.

The glow white or chart gem-n-eyes or other similar brands are what we have been getting the best results with as well. Didn't try the eye-call but that sounds like a good option as well.

Curious to see where you have been at in comparison to where we have been at. We can't be too far from each other.

Fish On!

We are heading up there this weekend. We are looking for panfish, thinking about hitting the north arm by battle point, is that a good idea?? Just looking to catch some fish.

Lsnddr

A few posts back you mentioned a recepie for "daddys" receipe and you said an equal part of mayo and sugar. Could yoy please tell me what equal parts of mayo is?

Thanks

it really sounds good.

Bullheaded

Hey Landdr my red lake thing got fouled up, how have you been doing out there. My house is still there, it slowed a bit for me but still worth the time. Than again any time on the lake is worth the time.

Bullhead...I usually take a large table spoon and add 4 heaping scoops of sugar in a bowl and then add 4 scoops of mayo to the bowl. Stir this good. You can add onion if you would like but I usually skip that. Then I always pan fry the fish with Shore Lunch Original until they get a little crispy. Simply dip the fish in the sauce...really sweatens it up and you just can't stop eating!

SJS...too many activities going on so I have not made it back out to the house yet. Hopefully this week some time. I hear the panfish bit is picking up a lot more so I hope to get out after some of those as well. Sounds like people are not having too much trouble getting a limit now.

Fish On!

Yup the sunfish are tight lipped this winter!

Just one of those years I guess. Crappies aren't biting like last winter either!

I would also like to know where the panfish are, i spent quite a bit of time on the lake last weekend and was nowhere near my limit, was able to keep a few, but nothing special.

landdr. Thanks for the info last weekend. We fished next to your house and used it as a base. We did finally find some great eyes but not till Saturday. 17" average. We had a great time.

Thanks.

Well...the sunfish are in the lake...right? smile I spent some time out drilling and looking the other day and found a lot of what looked to be smaller panfish near Crappie Town. I also drilled holes out from Lakeside Ballroom in the group of houses and out from them...I found good numbers of panfish in all areas in that vacinity. I did not have time to fish...just look around. Might try to get out today or tomorrow for awhile and will let you know what I come up with.

As I posted earlier, the majority of the people coming in are doing pretty well now on panfish. I don't know exactly where they are of course but they are getting a good bite from what I have heard.

Supereye...glad to hear you got on some of those eyes. Got any photos to post? We see them swimming down there...just have had a tough time getting them to open their mouths. How far from my house were you, what time of day and where you jigging or rattle reels?

Fish On!

Adding photos...I use my web site to down load photos to my media center on the site and then copy and past the URL from the down load. You can use a site like photo shop or something like that (maybe do a search for downloading photos??) to download the photo...then just copy the URL and past it. If that all sounds too complex, you can email me the photos and I will post them for you.

Update on the panfish...I had two older guys from Benson in yesterday that were giving me a hard time about the panfish bite. I told them to go with small hooks and small bait...like larvae or shrimp. They wanted me to show them the hooks...so I did and each got a couple small #14 hooks which they both laughed at how small they where and which one of the guys had the better eye sight to tie the line on. smile Then they wanted me to show them the larvae and shrimp...since all they had ever fished with was wax worms. They got some white and colored larvae...but they just laughed about the shrimp. I told them "shrimp was what I got them to bite on the last time I was out". They looked at each other...laughed at my sales ability...and grabbed a container of shrimp.

One of the gusy just came back in and I asked how he did. At first he did not look happy about the shrimp...but then he smiled and told me of the experiments they ran. They watched sunfish come in and look at their wax worms and larvae...and then swim away. After a couple hours of watching this and getting frustrated, the one guy finally said he was going to try the shrimp. He said the line didn't even tighten up and the bobber already was going down. They watched the sunnies on the camera just hammer the shrimp. So to test the shrimp...they first put a larvae on the same hook...nothing, the sunnies just looked at it. Then he tried the wax worm...same results. Then they tried the shrimp again...and immediately the "cork" went down. They tried and larvae and wax worm again with no bites but finally stayed with the shrimp as the sunnies bit well on that.

It was pretty funny watching him tell me the story of their tests and their amazement of the results.

Funny stuff.

Fish On!

I guess shrimp is what the fish on Osakis are hitting on as well. The problem with shrimp is you only have a chance for one bite.

Wow...the bite is on! Well, at least today anyway. But I have heard the same over the last week or so.

Went out for an hour and came back with my limit of 20 nice sunfish in the 7 to 8 ounce range with a couple a little bigger. I only threw a half dozen back...but I am able to play for the bigger ones on the camera which helps in the selection. A lot of bass down there as well and a few pike thru the area...one was REALLY big.

Shrimp was the ticket...they just pounded them. I started just hooking the shrimp anywhere on the body just to get it back down there...just like the two old guys said.

I really have not been fishing panfish this year (eye fever) so this is my first limit. Happy to have a little fish fry with Grandma soon!

Fish On!

Jack...there was a halof dozen times I got to use the same shrimp again as it was still on the hook when I took it out. Awful nice! Other than that, there was only one time a big sunny came up and shook the hook to have the shrimp fly off. But he went scooped it up...and when I sent the hook back down with a fresh shrimp...well...let's just say he was pre-trained. Brought that one right up the hole! These sunnies are just flying in and taking it right up...so there is a great hook set. I think I missed two or three times but out of those only once did they get the shrimp. Again, I am using a camera so I see when they have it and work the hook for the bigger ones. Man for fun! Hard to get back to work now. smile

Fish On!

Just curious if any one has tried Bro's Scudbug by Northland that mimics a shrimp? Could probably fish faster without rebaiting all the time? Or is it the scent of the shrimp that they like?

I have not...but I know that when I put down a "dead" shrimp that I had already used once, they were not as interested. I sat there and watched fish come up, look and swim away. I finally had enough of watching that so I realed up and put a new shrimp on. It did not take long to get one after that. I think they really like the twitching body and legs when it is sitting still. I would slowly lift it, drop it and leave it sit in front of the gill I wanted. Probably why the two older fellas could not get a bite on the larvae and waxies as well.???

Fish On!

Looking at headed up to Minni this weekend, sounds like the Gills, or "sunnies" are biting , any good tips on where to start for locations and depths??? not from the area, also, what depth are they catching the eyes in? Are there any lakes that the pike are going good on right now up there?? Staying in glenwood friday and saturday night.. Any tips would be appreciated, also whats a good baitshop to hit up??? Thanx!

Boji...Go with small hooks (#14 Marmooska jigs is what I use) and small bait (shrimp is what has been working the best). If you have a underwater camera...bring it as it will help you located fish as well as work the jig to the ones you want to present to. Out from Lakeside Ballroom in 14 to 16 fow...I am in 15 or 15.5. I will try to get some time to plow out the roads some more today if I can. Pike are also very active on Waska so I would recommend putting down a shiner or sucker while fishing for the gills.

Fish On!

7am is the usual time...if you need different you will have to let me know.

I put the camera down in a few spots while I was out working on some roads today and it definately pays to bring a camera along to locate the fish first and then start fishing. Some spots had just a couple fish and others had 10 to 30 fish on the screen. This was all in the general area so it pays to look around before you start fishing.

Roads are in great shape. Many areas can be accessed with 2wd but 4wd is better and will get you to more locations.

I am going to try to get out tomorrow...tak'in mom fishing. She likes fishing with larvae so I will see if I will out fish her with the shrimp. smile

Fish On!

Landdr, thanks for the info, the jig situation looks pretty good, Have plenty of diamonds and gill pills from 12-16's and the fiskas wolfram in 3,4mm.. Do any of the guys up there fish with the fiskas balance jig?? I am used to sight fishing really finiky blue gills in West Okoboji in up to 13fow in the Gin clear water, I was fishing perch last week in 21ft and could see my #12 Hexifly down my hole.... Have the vex, camera, so I am all set.. Where are you located???? Thanks again..

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions