• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Landdr, i stopped in to your shop this morning. thanks for the service and advice. We fished in bottle bay, got most of our fish in 16-17 ft. The flasher was lit up most of the day, seemed like the more hole hopping we did the larger the fish were. it was a great day to be out and a good way to spend the day with my dad and brother before school starts again!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

firefish_12

kyle--thanks for the help at the shop---hole hopping was the key-- fish seemed to be everywhere--size was rather small but a good day to be out w/ my hungover bud

Where exactly is "Bottle Bay" and which access do you take to get there? Also, I was wondering whats good to use for pike on tip-ups? Suckers, shiners, smelt? I'm planning on going on wed. for sunnies and maybe northerns too? Are the crappies biting at all?

All the fish finally moved back to the Glenwood end huh? I love it when that happens.. it's the best time of year.

Thanks for the reports...that is pretty consistent with what everyone else was saying as well. Most were getting 10 to 15 in the 1/2 or bigger and then maybe keep some additional if they wanted to fill out there limit...most that I talked with just kept 10 to 15 and that was enough but had a great time fishing. Great to hear. 16 to 18 fow was the ticket. Sounds like the pike where very active! Had some decent reports on walleyes as well but many were from people that just went and found a contour and started jigging and found a few.

Firefish...he had a good smile on him so that was good. It was also good he didn't need to use the bathroom! My b-day is on the 13th but I don't think I will have near the fun he looked like he did. smile

Bottle Bay is between Torgy's Bar & Grill and the Minnewaska House. There is Sac's Landing (pay) and Sherriff's Landing (free). Both are in great shape from what I seen and both will take you right out into Bottle Bay.

Wetline...you work the store and I will go fishing. I will even clean them and help you eat them. smile

PerchJrkr...even dang one of those fish swam down to the Glenwood side two weeks ago. Might have been the smell of the lutefisk that did it. smile

Thanks again for the reports.

Fish On!

terrible_fisherman

I just got back last night from fishing out by the school bar. Was set up shallow (11 feet) for northern spearing. Ended up seeing about 10 northern (all little) over the course of the day and a half I was set up. A buddy of mine and I took 4 little ones for pickling. We also picked up a couple eyes over the night bite but was pretty slow. I am guessing I am a little too shallow to see much activity from the eyes. The eyes we did catch hit rosy red minnows that I had left over from a weekend up north.

Did you see any panfish or eyes at 11 ft. during light?

We picked up a couple eyes over the weekend in 13.5 but I feel that is too shallow as well...I prefer to be 18 to 20. However, the sprear guys often talk about seeing eyes in 8 to 10 feet.

How big where the eyes and did they have full bellies?

I sent some guys out not far from one of my rentals and they got 6 Sat. evening and went out again Sunday eve but I have not spoke with them since Sun. morning. I might move my house over a little to see if that gets more action.

Thanks for the report.

Fish On!

terrible_fisherman

I did see three eyes come through the hole during the daylight right on the bottom. They didn't want anything to do with the minnow I had down though and looked to be just passing by. The eyes we caught were all in the 15-18 range so good keeping size. The ones I saw in the spear hole were in about that same range.

No pan fish to be seen in the spear hole which surprised me. 11 might be too shallow for them as well. I am going to give spearing/angling in that area one more try this weekend before moving the house.

I seen close to a dozen eyes last night within an hour on the camera in 20 fow and they were crusing as well. Had two of them looking at the same shinner...but neither tried for an early supper. I did manage to pick up on 16 but had to be back in town by 5:30 to pick up kids for wrestling...missed prime time. I am wondering if jigging spoons would have made them more interested? They seemed aggressive with their swimming and looking at the bait...just didn't open their mouths very often. Maybe it will pick up with the warmer weather.

many reports of panfish in 16 to 18 and even out to 21 feet. Sounds like you can go even further out from Bottle Bay and find stacks of fish. Everyone is expecting the bite to get even better with the warm weather on the way. Should be a nice rest of the week and a great weekend!

Fish On!

Minnewaska is a big lake...plenty of room to spread out and try some new areas. I have had several people in over the last few days that have been fishing out in 20 and 21 feet getting really nice sunfish...much further out from Bottle Bay.

As I have mentioned before, there are many untouched spots on the lake that rarely get fished in the winter. With the great ice conditions and easy to get around...this can be a great opportunity to explore the rest of the lake.

Here are some starters...

Sunfish...there is some great structure out from Peter's all the way down to Swenson Pt. We fish sunnies in the summer on the east side of Swenson Pt and east into that bay. Priest's Pt. is also a great spot for sunfish on the east and west sides.

Walleye...the great ice conditions can allow people to try out some of the many contours and edges all over the lake. There are some nice edges out in the middle of the lake as well. A person could even drive over to Swenson Pt. where the second deepest location on the lake is. That would be fun to try!

Spread out and see what the lake has to offer. Again, much of the lake is untouched and unfished. smile

Fish On!

landdr could you email your rates on your house and if there are any places to stay have people coming from texas to fish

Had some fresh walleye last night along with a few nice sunnies and crappies...life is good! smile My favorite way to have fish is with Shore Lunch original panfried slightly on the crispy side...and then I make what my kid's call "Dad's Special Sauce", which is not really that special but they absolutely love it as well. I use equal parts of mayo mixed with sugar and stir it good until it is a nice dipping sauce. Really easy to make (you can take the ingrediants along with you) and it makes the fish taste so good! Try it some time.

Not a bad night...we are on a different location with two of our houses and we got three nice walleyes and the one house had a bunch of sunnies and crappies early. We did not get out until after dark so I am trying to send my parents out to try the spot out earlier to see if there is an earlier bite. I am thinking there is since they walleyes that we caught were already fat. Will let you know how it goes.

Skinnylee...emails sent. Thanks!

Fish On!

Hi Landdr

I am bringing my wife and our two young boys your way this Friday, we will be staying in my wheel house until after the VIKES victory on Sunday, was wondering where your bait shop is located and if you have smelt available. Could you please shoot me an email at [email protected]

Thanks!

Jim

Wetline...I am not sure what you are referencing. Minnewaska is a state lake with many public accesses...so fishing on Waska is definately FREE.

If you are refering to some of the private accesses, there are a couple that charge for the use of their access...just like some other lakes such as Mille Lacs, Red, etc. You are certainly welcome to use the free accesses as well.

If you are refering to the fish house rental, of course those are not free...just as fish house rentals on Mille Lacs, Red, etc.

If I missed your point or concern, please let me know.

Good luck this weekend if you get out.

Fish On!

Correct me if im wrong Wetline, but I'm thinking hes referring to the recent decline in good fishing that we've seen on Waska due to pressure and over fishing. The lake association put what, 50,000 fingerlings in the lake this year? People keep 60,000 walleyes a year maybe? You do the math. Too many people that think they need to keep every fish they catch..

More than half the people on the lake are not local. And my guess is they aren't coming for CPR ("catch, picture, release" for those of you that like to rape a lake)

It wont matter how many pounds of walleye the association dumps into the lake, with all the ""promoting"" people do this lake cant handle the pressure

terrible_fisherman

Relax. Glenwood and Starbuck are vacation and tourist areas. If it was not for the lake, those two towns would loose a ton of revenue that comes in from those non local people. If you have concerns about people keeping fish on the lake then you should talk to the lake association to see if they can work with the DNR to get a slot limit put on the lake. Otherwise I think this is a fishing reports topic originally so lets get back to that.

Ahhh...you're "new" and have made only "6" posts. Did you get on the forum to just criticise?

It is no secret that Minnewaska is a great panfish lake...has been for years and years. From what I understand, a lot more people used to fish the lake than now and there were many more fish houses on the lake than now. Has the pressure increased or decreased since those days? Ol' Phil tells me of the days when people would be lined up at the store at 6 am to buy bait. Many other bait shops tell of the same. Fishing is a great activity to get the kids out...and there are many many groups that come thru the store with kids. That's great!

Most people are fishing sunfish...not walleyes. Ask the walleye guys if there are a lot of sunfish in the lake. Just try pulling a crawler thru the bottom. smile

And lastly...go ask the stores around Minnewaska what they think of the people coming to enjoy the lake. The businesses need all the support they can get. Remember, businesses are some of the biggest tax payers in the county of which that tax money supports all the other things going on. I would graciously ask the locals not to be selfish and tolerate visitors, even be nice to them and appreciate that they bring dollars into our communities that are very badly needed. I like my customers that's for sure!

And lastly again...Minnewaska is a huge lake and is not over-fished by any means. The panfish are out deeper this year due to changes in the food structure (due to weather) and the fish are enjoying an abundance of food in deeper waters. Just because there are not as many fish on the weedlines doesn't mean there are less fish. Put a camera down in 16 to 18 and even out to 20 fow water and fish can be found and often in large numbers.

A big welcome to all the people coming from "out of town" and please feel free to stop at the local stores, eat at the local restaurants and stay at the local hotels and resorts...they all would love to see you and say hi. And please try to practice selective harvest while on the lake to make sure our resource continues to be as good as it is.

Fish On!

Wetline...you must be in Glenwood. Come on over and we can talk.

The offer still stands to catch your fish, clean them and help eat them as well. We can even use ol' Phil's stove in the back and fry'em up.

Fish On!

terrible_fisherman

Don't forget about all the 20-24 inch pike! Last weekend my buddy could barely keep his tip up flag down during the late afternoon due to those little buggers.

Enough with this...it's my birthday and I am going fishing.

Fish On...and on...and on...and on.

The lake association IS trying to work with the DNR for a slot limit, they were close when Osakis got its slot, but somehow got screwed on the deal. It is my own personal beleif that NOBODY should be keeping any fish over 18" unless its a 28+" for the wall. Also, I wont personally put anything on the wall unless its over 30"..

I've fished Minnewaska for 30 years and the walleyes seem to go in cycles. I remember a time when you couldn't buy a walleye during the day!It was a night bite and lots of 20in.+ fish.Biggest 'eye I have seen come out of Minnewaska is only 29 inches.Now you can find the numbers but a lot more are the little dinks (10-15in.)And alot of those fish (sorry to say)are kept.Every lake has their ups and downs.Isn't the Lake Association the only ones who stock walleyes here? Great lake!!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Happy Birthday Landdr! Thanks for all of the hard work you do on this forum you go out of your way to give honest up to date information. I for one Tip my hat to you. As stated we need to get kids more involved in the outdoors and fishing. The sport we all love will be in the next genrations hands. Hopefully you got out and got some fish. I probably will see you again later this week!

I personnally don't think the Minnewaska sunfish can be fished down. If that was the case you would see a few lean years. That lake gets pounded year round and keeps kicking nice panfish out. There are far more acres that don't get fished out there than do get fished. That being said I still think selective harvest is the key to any body of water.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions