• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

For anyone that has houses on Waska or area lakes but does not live around here...we got about 6 inches of snow. Doesn't appear to be major drifting...more of a drop. It appears to be a very fluffy light snow versus a heavy snow.

I have not been out on the lake as of yet but am planning to head out this morning yet to check the houses, clear some snow away and open some roads. I will post an update on ice and lake conditions after that.

They are talking another 6 inches or more tonight so I have heard.

Fish On!

Be careful out there. Often ice thickness varies near shallow bars and the transitions to deeper water. Have seen 10 inches on one side of house and then 15 yards shallower has been 4 inches. Be sure you "know before you go."

What a good adventure ice fishing in the snow! Sure wish I was there to camp out. When is the wind going to blow? Are they forecasting Blizzard?

It could get real adventurous if that happens.

Good Fishing and Merry Christmas!

Today is supposed to be pretty mild with a high around 25...good fishing weather. Friday and Saturday however are forcasted to have winds up around 20 mph with 70 to 100% chance of snow...that will probably get nasty.

Might just go out to the fish house and stay there!

Fish On!

Thanks Landdr. I was trying to decide if I should bring a wheeler or be able to drive. It sounds like even with a wheeler their might be too much snow to use it after the storm hits.

You can probably get around with both right now but it is still snowing...actually starting to snow a little heavier now...but very peaceful out and my temp gauge says 30 F. Really nice out.

After tonights additional snow, it might be ATVs only until roads get plowed open but it just depends on how much snow we get, how heavy it is and how windy it gets for drifting. I will give a report tomorrow as well.

Fish On!

hey just wondering how bad all this snow affected waska..and how much ice there is about??:( i wanted to head up there today but id like a report first so if anyone could help that would be nice

Talked to my sister who lives on south shore drive in starbuck and she said todays snow was wetter and heavier than yesterdays snow. About 5 inches or so each day.

The first day was pretty fluffy stuff, but yesterday and today is heavier wet snow since the temps have been hovering around 30 to 32. I did not get out on the lake due to family obligations and just running out of time but will get out today to check houses and lake conditions.

Panfish bite...as mentioned before, the panfish are not as located around the usual spots. I have sent a few people out deeper, such as south of Bottle Bay, and they have found some fish and got limits. They seem to be scatered rather than congregated along the weed lines. Really nice sized fish out deeper but just have to find them and then you can get into them pretty good.

Still reports of 2 to 4 walleyes along Beach, Lakeside and School Point/Bars. Several missed fish as well so the bit is pretty good but not jumping out of the holes.

Fish On!

Fish On!

I've had a few people in and the consistent report is 8 inches of snow or so and it is heavy and wet. Was probably 12 inches or more but has sunk down with the temps. The heavy snow is causing some water to come up but was not a big concern with these folks...just a few more blocks under the houses.

They are driving out on the lake without issue as there was not much drifting if hardly any at all. One guy had a small 4wd car and said he was not having any problem getting around on the lake and the snow depth was not an issue.

Fish On!

Some reports are the slush has frozen and there are no problems getting around with ATV or vehicles. I have had a couple of reports of slush near Peter's but that was about it. Even when the slush was encountered, they just drove out of it. So...it is a big lake and there may be some times that you run into slush but with these cold temps, everything seems to be frozen up pretty good. There is weight on the ice however and new cracks can let some water up until it freezes again. There was 12.5 inches of ince under on of the rentals and 13.5 inches under the other. All in all I would say the lake is in good condition and moving houses out and around should not be much of a problem. A friend moved his 8x16 out on Sunday and used suburban without issue. There were a few slush spots but nothing too bad that he couldn't just drive through. He commented there were a few slush spots but felt you could drive anywhere on the lake at this time.

I have heard better reports on the sunfish bite and that seems to be picking up. Hearing of more crappies being caught as well. Walleye bite is still about the same with some reporting 2 to 4 per house in the morning and the same for the evening with some limits "out from the School" (that is a big area so I am not sure where they are). Priest's Point seems to be giving up some walleyes as well. We are still doing some house moving to get on some walleyes. Pike have been pretty active and don't seem to be much of a problem catching a few of those.

Fish On!

I was out this weekend on the North side of the lake not that far from Crappie town. Got a couple eyes but nothing too exciting. I was driving a half ton truck around without a problem in that area but would not say I was very comfortable driving off of the main path.

A duo from Marshall where just in reporting a few eyes over the weekend as well but have been driving all over that lake without issue. The fishing has been ok but they reported the ice conditions are much better than southern MN...so even though the fishing is just ok, they are happy with the better ice and to be able to get out. They did report seeing more sunfish on the camera...so maybe the panfish are moving back in. ??

Fish On!

Most spear out from Lakeside in 8 to 11 fow but there are some other good spots to check as well. Just to the north of Lakeside there is the creek that comes out and around Eagles Point that holds a lot of pike. The Old Road Grade out from Lakeside also holds pike. Then there is the rest of the perimeter of the lake that is relatively shallow and flat and holds a lot of pike as well. Some of the biggest pike I have caught have been out from Peter's Resort. Hard to pick wich one to start with but there are several spots. Stop in if you want to review a map more.

Let me know how you do if you get out. I think the biggest one out of Waska last year was just over 15 lbs. Good luck!

Fish On!

Do you mean a picture of the lake?

If yes, do an MSN search of "DNR Lake Minnewaska" and you will get some good links to photos of the lake and titles to many of the points, bars, etc.(picutre search might even be better). The one link to "polebender" brought up a great map. I also have the DNR map printed out and free copies...but the best map is the Lakemaster map with the 1 ft. contours.

Finally got out for a awhile last night after closing. Put my first line down at 6:50 pm and had my first 16" eye at 6:54. I put that line back down and got two more lines down when the first line went down again...brought up a 17" eye at 7:04. That was the last bite I had until I left at 9:30. It would have been interesting to be there around 5pm to 7pm to see if the bite was that hot since I have heard 5 to 7 is prime time. ??

About 14 inches of ice under the house. About an 1/2 inch of water came up when I drilled the holes...not too bad. The roads out on the lake appeared to be a great condition except for a little rough but not too bad. I did see a few slush spots off the road near shore but out further it appeared that I could drive anywhere. There were a few drifts but I drove through them with my Ford Escape 4wd. All in all the lake conditions look good, just keep an eye out since it is a big lake.

I am going to try to get out earlier today to try panfish and walleyes through the mid-day and into evening.

Fish On!

ps...I had my kids with for having all those lines down. smile I re-read it and it sounded bad so I better clarify.

I have had several reports of the panfish bite picking up as well as reports of good crappies...end of Crappie Town and Bottle Bay. Bottle Bay is a big area but I would guess it would be the east end towards Crappie Town.

I have not had any good reports from Reno as of yet. Everything has been negative there. Also heard a truck and house went through but they got it back out. Any confirmation on that and anything that should be posted for people to watch out for?

Fish On!

Yeah I heard the same thing about Reno this year...my uncle had his perm out there but he moved it to Waska because the fishing was so slow.

Got a report from one of the guys on the fire dept that a truck went in on Reno with a fish house attached. Another fella in said a truck with a plow also went in. Not sure where all of this is happening or why, but if you are going to Reno it would be good to check the lake out first or check with others. Hopefully we can get some other reports posted.

Had a few in already this morning and sounds like Bottle Bay is picking up with panfish, crappies and walleyes. Sounds like the walleye bite is pretty much between 5 and 7 pm for the evening...not sure if there is a morning bite. Again, Bottle Bay is a big area so you will have to check around.

Fish On!

Reno always has bad spots. People would know that if they took the time to check. I have seen a spot open up out there in January.

Got on waska yesterday afternoon into evening. Got a couple of nice sunnies. several perch of small size and one eye right at dark. that was in about 14-15 fow. Thanks Landdr for the info at your shop yesterday.

Thanks Landdr for the spearing info. I was out just north of Lakeside the last two weeks near the creek and only saw a few small hammerhandles, not much moving at all. Didn't even see a perch or a sunny. I'm not familar with the lake, so where is Peter's Resort. Maybe I will try there later this weekend.

See the report earlier on doing an internet search for a map of Minnewaska and there are locations like Peter's Resort on most of them.

Peter's is located on the south side on the Glenwood end. There are some milfoil patches from there to the west out in front of Baycrest that held a lot of pike this summer as the milfoil was loaded with shinners. I think the milfoil was in 5 to 8 feet of water. I would think it would be good to set up along those.

Fish On!

I speared just north of crappie town a little over the weekend. Only saw one fish but it was easily over 15lbs. I missed it sadly...too excited for something to go on the wall I guess.

Landdr, Thank you for the help yesterday. It sure helped me out a ton. Hopefully I will have it fixed up by the weekend and be back up there. See Ya at the shop! Thanks again.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions