• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Best way to Crappie Town...

If you are walking or ATVing, a great spot would be the DNR landing...good amount of parking and Crappie Town is straight out from there. You can also park by Lakeside and head out.

Ice is about 11 inches thick.

We drilled several holes yesterday in the middle of Crappie Town and did not see much. I would try either the west end as there have been some reports there and/or I would try the north inside hook...gotta located the weedline.

I would also highly recommend hitting some of the high spots out from these areas as last year those spots held a lot of panfish...just not many went out there.

Bottle Bay will also be another spot to check today and thru the weekend.

Fish On!

We are having some trouble finding the sunfish...lake is full of them so they have to be somewhere.

There seems to be a good bite in Torgy's Bay however and would be a good place to start.

Spoke with my bait dealer regarding the sunfish issue to see what his thoughts were as well. He said the same issue seems to be going on with many lakes...the sunfish are out deeper feeding on an algae and zooplankton bloom. These fish will be gorging on this food source from suspended to the bottom. Sounds reasonable since we are not finding the fish on the usual edges and the sunlight penetration is still strong to support the algae and zooplankton bloom.

My recommendation is to target some of the "rises" out from Crappie Town and Bottle Bay and even check the 16 to 18 ft depths. I am going to try to get out and just drill holes and put the camera down to see what is out there as well.

Fish On!

great report Landdr... hopefully heading up there this weekend... I was out closer to home and the lakes around Richmond are very dirty yet.. and the regular spots have been quiet

Waska is really clear and the spear guys are out in 9 to 10 feet of water already. The clear water might be contributing to the algae and zooplankton bloom due to the deeper sunlight penetration.

Hopefully we can get some updates.

was out last couple of days looking for the sunfish bite. drilled lots of holes in various depths. looked in some of the usual spots. seen very few on the camera. the fish i seen were any where from 12 to 16 deep. fish would be there and then gone as fast as you could locate them. decided to take a break for the weekend and spend time with the family. goodluck in the battle for fish location! where i was fish theice was anywhere from 10 to 12 thick.

hey Landrr I just built a spearhouse and was wondering what the water clarity is like on Waska? Also which side would be quieter the Starbuck or Glenwood side? As I would like it to be somewhat peaceful away from the crowds, and see a few fish or maybe sight fish a few bluegills. So I'd stay away from crappie town, bottle bay or torgys. Any help works...also I have experienced a non-existent bluegill bite on many of my favorite panfish haunts during early ice, and I have tried as shallow as 7 feet to 26. I think this summer & fall weather has something to do with it as with the slow weed growth from the cool summer and the die off from the irregular temps on the fall. I would say your bait guy is right and the panfish are off the deep weed edge already, it really depends on each lake but as far as waska its a big lake so they are somewhere or the eager biters got taken out and only the big smart ones remain!

Had several spear guys in today and all reported clear water in 9 to 10 ft.

There are so many spots to go on Waska for spearing or any fishing for that matter. Some of the biggest pike I have ever got have been out in front of Peter's and Baycrest. There is not much activity over there and I am pretty sure you can get on the lake where the lake comes up to the road...you should see a path there were others have gone out.

Otherwise, in shallow from all the houses by Bottle Bay...it probably won't be secluded but there are a lot of pike in that area as well.

In closer to the creek at the east side of the DNR landing holds a lot of big pike...even though there will be many out from ya, it should be pretty calm in closer to shore.

Let me know how you do.

Thanks for the info on the gills...I hope to get out and drill some holes tomorrow across the lake to check some of the far out flats, rises and maybe holes.

Fish On!

Lake Reno has all kinds of vehicles on there plus like a hundred or so house and more were coming when I left. The bite wasn't good but I didn't stay all day!! Good 10 inches or more on Reno

If there are some people catching fish on Reno...then they aren't talking. I have heard nothing but bad reports...a few small perch and that is it. I have had a few guys in that fished it last year and they have yet to catch much at all on Reno.

Maybe the fish are out deeper as well?? Don't know. Sure a lot of houses burning up LP not to be catching anything. smile

Fish On!

Sure a lot of houses burning up LP not to be catching anything. smile

No kidding Landdr...thanks for the helpful hints as far as putting the spear house. Right now its just an idea as I am about 15 miles east of St. Cloud and would have to drive to waska everytime, but thats not that far for a day trip, plus I have alot of family from the Glenwood area so I have a few cousins who could use the house as well. Just one question Peters and Baycrest are they on the southeast side, near/north the Pezeekee golf course? Its been a while since I have been around the lake..forget the resorts names/locations..thanks again eh!

Peter's is Pezeekee...Peter's Sunset Resort with Pezeekee Golf Coarse.

The access that I was referin and I will send you a photo of the 42 inch pike I caught right in that area this fall.

Fish On!

I agree that there are a lot of houses buring up a lot of LP out on Reno......However if the bite goes anything like last year on Reno one might wish you had a good spot lol...... Good thing about a portable is that I can bounce from lake to lake and leave my stationary on one certain lake.

Hope to do more lake hoppin this year though lol

Fished Minnewaska yesterday. 3 good fisherman, drilled a 100 holes, fished hard and fast and never caught one single panfish. Caught about 30 dink perch and one small pike. First time ever I have not caught at least a few pannies on Minnewaska in 10+ years fishing it. Something is definitely wrong out there. The plankton theory out deep could be true, but there is no way all the fish would be out there IMO. We found good weeds and usually there is some fish relating to the weeds all year long since there is always food there. I have never seen it like that ever. We left and got 3 limits of crappies on a different lake in a half hour. So, still got some fish.

Thanks for the report. There is definately a different angle going on right now. Everyone was catching panfish right up to the end of open water season so the fish have moved.

I have sent some people out deeper to see what they come up with. I am going to get out with the camera a little later as well.

Thanks again

Fish On!

hey just wondering if someone could let me know the thinckness of the ice on waska lately?? i wanna get my 16x6.5 out this weekend and im lookin for about 14inches?? thanks for anyone who can help

To my knowledge it is not 14 inches yet. There was 11.5 under my houses on Sat. so I think you will fine 11 to 12 pretty consitently. There are a lot of big houses out there so I don't think you have an issue with the house.

Good walleye bite out from the school...there are many many good spots out in that area. I have heard early bites as well as fish through the nite and in the morning.

Fish On!

thanks landdr..yeah thats kinda what i though but okay ill prolly be out there this weekend and yeah i normaly fish in that hole out from the school and im glad to hear they got a good bite going out there i always love hearing that well thanks again fot the report landdr

and we'll maybe see you out there ill be in a 16x6.5 green perm with white trim on the outside if you see me stop by and say hi

Whats with everyone fishing for walleyes in a "hole"????? I've always only fished eyes on a "hump"..... I've heard different people say this multiple times in the last few months and it just makes no sense to me?....

I am not sure if they are fishing "in" the hole or just on the edge as the hole is going up. "The Hole" on Minneswaska is not really a big area so it is easy to be on the edge but also easy to be on the bottom of it as well (max. depth of Waska is only 28 or 29 ft. and this is the area). Up from The Hole is School Point and School Bars (1st Bar and 2nd Bar since they have a small split). I think most people are on the point and the bars but there are houses around The Hole as well. Sounds like most are getting a few walleyes each night and some limits...but marking a lot of fish. Most think the bite is going to turn on more with the front moving in...could be right. I am going to move a house out on first bar today and maybe another one tomorrow. Maybe do a sleep over tonight and see what is happening.

Fish On!

Set a house out on School Bar and there was 13.5 inches of ice...used a ruler to measure it. I am right on the weedline and I seen a few schools of really nice sunnies swim by when I had the camera down. Did not fish...had to get back. I am planning on taking the kids out after school and see how the walleye bite is tonight.

Fish On!

I am coming up over xmas weekend to visit family. Do any of you know any areas of the lake that I would be able to set up my house in 10-12 feet and spear as well as angle? My nieces want to try both and it would be nice to find an area where I wouldn't have to move the house a lot to let them see down a spear hole as well as try to sight fish some sunnies. Thanks.

Most people spear out from Lakeside...that is a large flat area.

I have always thought it would be good to spear on the upper shoulder of the "Old Road Grade" that is farther out from Lakeside. A lot of pike cruise this area.

Another option might closer to shore in Bottle Bay. A lot of pike in that area as well.

You should be able to put a line down in these areas for panfish and/or perch as well. Stop in if you want to look over a map for more detail on these spots. If you set up on the Road Grade, I would really like to know how you do there.

Fish On!

Old timers have told me the lake was a lot lower...the edge of shore some 300 ft. out from where it is now so I have been told. Due to the low water levels, there was a "bar" that ran from the Lakeside area over to the Torgy's area and it was used as a road...thus "The Road Grade". In the summer you can travel across it with your depthfinder and see it come up, go across what looks like a road grade, and then go back down again. I have seen the top of the grade as shallow as 3 or 4 feet so it is very probable that with lower water levels this would be an exposed bar that could be traveled on. On low water level years, I have seen boats anchored around this area with people standing on the shallow areas playing catch.

Off this grade would be a good place to set up for walleye and pike and I would think it would be good for spearing.

During this same time, School Point was also exposed and could be driven out. They duck hunted off that point too I have been told. One guy said a person could easily swim across the lake back then.

Fish On!

I have heard mixed reports but from it sounds like people are driving full sized trucks on the ice near the beach and bottle bay. Is that true? I heard it was 14-15 inches of good ice so just curious.

I got a question? If somebody on the forumn tells you its good ice do you believe them or do you check it for yourself? Because I think most people see a truck and just head right out there. Do you know what path they took to get there? Do you know if they checked the ice before they went? I see it every year at early ice, there will be a few people fishing and people come running out there with out even checking the ice. I had one guy ask me if I could cut him a hole. How can you check the ice if you can't even cut a whole.

Definately check it yourself. Definately. I think a lot of people look at the ice and guess. I actually measure it with a ruler so I am sure.

The other issue with early ice is that you can check the ice in one spot and know what it is in that one spot...but another few hundred yards away it could be completely different...especially if there is deeper water below it, any current at all and deeper snow that insulates the area.

In the area out from Bottle Bay where I put a house two days ago it was 13.5 inches...no more than that. Over by Crappie Town it was 11.5 inches 4 days ago. There are 1/2 ton trucks out there and many smaller trucks and cars. I am now driving my Ford Escape out but not anything bigger.

Always feel free to check in but these are all good points and good questions. Better to stay safe!

Everyone have a blessed Christmas.

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions