• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Yaknow...to put "walleye" with your name means you actually have to CATCH walleyes...not just want to or dream about it! smile

Search Prairie Land Management and you will find it.

You and Haus coming down to watch me catch some walleyes in the near future?

Fish On!

Went by this morning not a house out came back by at 5 and there was a few bigger houses out in front of the high school 8x12's I would guess and 4 wheelers too. The lake I was on the ice varied from 4 to 6 with cracks and water coming up.

Everyone that came in today reported 7 inches of ice.

Early ice...that can very of course so be careful.

More houses out now and ATVs running around. ATV use should be fine for this weekend but why not stay closer in versus running out too far...just in case I have to fire up the ARGO to go get you. smile

I will try to get a couple of our houses out tomorrow but have to see if I can get the time.

Fish On!

can anyone recommend a good hotel or resort in the glenwood area

I plan on coming there a few times this winter to fish and need a place to stay cheap place is fine

thanks

Josh

Cedar Inn - Starbuck

Scottwood - Glenwood

Hunts Resort - Glenwood

Green Valley - Glenwood

Woodlawn - Glenwood

Peters Resort - Glenwood

Just do an internet search for "resorts Glenwood MN" and you will find contact information.

Fish On!

Most reports are now 7 ot 8 inches of ice and good ice.

No reports as of yet as everyone went out and no one came back.

I did hear of a few walleyes on the Glenwood end.

Fish ON!

Some reports in of 6 to 7 inch ice and others 8 to 10 inches. Early ice is always variable...please be careful. There have been some cars and small trucks going out and it gets tempting to drive...but might be wiser to ATV or walk it. These cold temps continue to make ice and by this weekend it should be really good. I've got the ARGO in now and will try to get down to work on the Beach and Lakeside accesses.

Some good reports on walleyes coming in. I have not heard much on the panfish bite but it usually really good with Waska.

Fish On!

Perchjrkr...I will let some people know as well. I had two in yesterday that were looking for something like this. If I see them again I will mention it.

Fish On!

BrdHunter01...have you been out to look? Just curious where you are seeing the unsafe ice.

The majority of the reports I have are 8 to 10 inches...but an occassional 6 inches. I would lean towards the 8 inch range but with as cold as it was again yesterday and last night, there probably is another inch or more. I will be putting a house out later today and will report after that.

There are other houses out that are 14 and 16 ft. Many 8 and 10 ft. houses. A friend of mine put his heavy 8 x 16 out from the beach last weekend...and I consider that a pretty heavy house.

From the Beach, to Lakeside and Crappie Town, I am hearing most people catching 2 to 4 walleyes with some catching a limit of 16 inchers or so. I am still torn on where I will start with my first house out.

Fish On!

Justs had one of my teachers from HS in and I asked him about the ice...he is out from the Beach or Lakeside.

He said "it is the best ice he has seen in a long time"..."it froze fast and hard".

He also stated that he had at least 8 inches of ice yesterday and maybe even pushing 10 inches with how cold it was yesterday and thru last night. He was my math/computer teacher so I would think he knows how to measure something and would be very reliable.

So with that...the ice is in great condition for walking and ATVs but I would discourage vehicles yet even though there are some out there. I have my ARGO at the store just in case.

I hope that clears up the ice question.

Fish On!

Yea I've been out, I was joking. But not all the lakes are safe though so be careful. The lake I was on was about 9 in. almost a mile out.

On Saturday I spent about 3 hours on the lake moving around looking for gills on the glenwood end with no luck. I talked to others who said the same thing. Has anyone found the gills yet???

A couple of my guys have been catching them in Torgy's Bay. I think they said green and white glow ants and they said they were pretty nice. I believe 13 or 14 fow.

I will let you know if I find anything else.

Fish On!

Access updates...

Glenwood Beach - City did a GREAT job of grooming the landing and it is very nice. They use the sand to level things off and it looks really really good. Good amount of parking both by the landing and in the beach parking lot.

Lakeside Ballroom - It is currently blocked off...not sure why...I will try to find out. There are ATV tracks next to it so it is still a great spot to park and walk out or ATV out...just won't be able to take a wheeled house over it yet. Some parking by the landing but more off-street parking.

DNR Landing (west side boat ramp) - It is in greeat shape and very smooth...good place to put the house on if needed. A lot of traffice through it already and no ice heaves. Large parking lot.

DNR Landing (east side of parking lot) - This is groomed nicely and looks really good as well but it is a little steaper incline...I don't think I would take a big house over it due to the length (back end might hit) but smaller ones would probably be ok.

Private Landing - I heard this one was open but have not confirmed. This is a private access with a can to put some money in when you use it. No parking available.

Sheriff's Landing - I did not go to look at it but I seen it is open and there has been traffic. This is a private drive but Rick doesn't ask anything for using it. Be polite and keep it clean and pick up litter if you see any. No parking available.

If I hear of any issues with any of the landings, I will post them.

Fish On!

Not a problem...always feel free to check in.

Temps are looking GREAT for the weekend...in the 20s and low winds. I hope that holds true! I am definately ready for a nice meal of panfish!!!

Fish On!

Found out why the access at Lakeside is blocked off. A car went thru on Monday(?) right at the access. Evidentally someone drilled several holes with an auger checking ice depth right in front of the access...it weakened the ice enough that the car went thru. The guy that was in said he could see the chunks of ice with the holes drilled in it.

I could think of a few different places to check ice depth than right in front of the access. frown

Fish On!

Good point! But also probably not a very good idea to be driving out there when some spots only have 6 inches of ice right now.

I put one rental out there today and it was about 11 inches. Very good hard ice as well.

There were some trucks and cars out there as well...a half ton not too far from my house in fact. Travel at your own risk and if you are going to drive on the ice...don't bring the kids with. Last year we seen a truck go by early ice and it had a couple with a baby in it...we all were just sick thinkiing of what could happen. Press your own luck but don't press other's.

I think there are a few people offering to pull fish houses out with ATVs, etc. (maybe $20 or something like that) if anyone needs any help. Might be worth it.

Looks to be a great weekend...temps in the 20s and low winds. Can't beat that!

Fish On!

So would I be able to drive out by crappie town or do you know anything about what the ice is around there or how there doing?

I don't want to recommend anyone to drive on the ice due to liability...but, there are a few small cars and trucks as well as the 1/2 ton truck not far from my house. I expect there will be a lot more out there this weekend.

The accesses are in great shape. See the previous post on all the accesses for consideration of which one you might want to enter the lake from.

It is still too early to know how the fishing is. A lot of houses went out last weekend but most only fished Saturday for awhile and did not fish Sunday due to cold and they would rather watch the Vikes kick some butt. (a win this Sunday would be nice to take the pressure off!)

After this weekend we should have a lot of fishing reports. Minnewaska is a big lake with a lot of great spots to fish...and a lot of fish. I expect everyone will do well. With the light amount of snow and good ice, I would recommend to check out some other "less fished" areas such as out from Peter's and Baycrest and even Halvorson Point just to mention a few. Usually those areas get snowed in and unfished but are very accessible right now. Stop in if you want to look over the 1 ft. contour map and some recommendations I can give you.

Fish On!

Landdr, how many rental houses do you put out on waska? Prices? and typically, how is the fishin around the 3rd week in Jan. for walleyes? Lookin to book a weekend somewhere. thanks.

I can't post that information...rules. Do a search for Glenwood MN Bait Shops and you will find contacts for all the places.

Last year we did really well around that time for walleyes. We will most likely go out to the same spots again this year around that time...but a lot could change between now and then. A House was typically getting 4 to 6 nice fish jigging and then switched to rattle reels and picked up some more thru the evening and into the night. Released some really nice 25 to 28 inchers also that were caught late at night.

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions