• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Meat, I don't want to hijack this post but yes they are bitting over on Traverse and Big Stone. Most of the fish are coming shallow on jigs but I also heard cranks aren't doing too bad either. The day bite isn't bad but the evening is always better. Keep looking until you find em. Like I said they're bitting very well but they can be hard to find sometimes. Good Luck

I have a tough enough time keeping up on Minnewaska and other local lakes. smile Big Stone and Traverse are great lakes as well for crappie and walleye so I don't think you can go wrong. You can always give Todd Johnson at Wing N Fin. He knows the lake very well and can help you out. Just do an internet search for it and you can find some contact info. Tell him Kyle from PLM sent you...that might get you a deal or it might get you black listed...not sure which one. smile

Crappie bite has still been strong on Waska. The colder days were slower but when it warms up they really get active. Amazing how temp sensitive they are.

Yes...they are just moving through that area on the way to the spawning grounds. They spawn around 50 to 55 F like many other fish species and invertebrates. From what I understand, the males tend to go first to prepare the nest and the females come later. That is often the reason why you catch so many smaller males to start with and the bigger females are hanging out deep waiting for the temps to trigger their movement into spawning.

Fish On!

Hey landdr any reports on big stone or traverse? Heading there sunday lots of tight lips with the tourneys going on. I am after some fillets.

South Dakota side has definitely been better than MN, in my opinion. 1/8 oz, chartruese/lime or a metallic green jig tipped with a fathead, in 1 to 3 ft of water. I would say middle of the lake and north would be the best place to try.

They spawn around 50 to 55 F like many other fish species and invertebrates.

Fish On!

Crappies actually begin spawning at around 62 degrees. I've caught and released "not yet spawned" crappies in Alex area lakes 2nd week in June in recent years. Walleyes spawn 42-50. Panfish also much warmer than 55 degrees. Each species has a somewhat different range, for good reason.

the hobo park marina on minnewaska is really kicking out bluegill, fish with waxies or eurolarvea on a small jig. jigging right off the end of the docks has been producing well, but float fishing also works. fish as far back as you can, the closer to the inlet you get, the more trouble you will have with shiners and chubs.

the bass are starting to get pretty thick in there, so you will probably get some bass in the mix of crappies and sunnies.

carp are also starting to patrol through the area, so if you want an adrenaline rush, float some waxies right off the bottom.

turtles are getting active in the area, a few people hooked into snappers and painted turtles yesterday.

the crappies are pretty tight lipped. i only got one yesterday.

i got a nice drum while targetting carp there as well.

torgys is still kicking out crappies. there are alot of boats out there. but now that they have those docks out, i think shoreline fishing is impossible. (im not sure if you can fish off those docks)

the area around the fisherie has also been kicking out sunnies and crappies.

the water temp is slowly climbing, and the crappies should really start biting within the next week or 2

I fished Torgy's Bay on Sunday and caught walleyes, bass and pike...no crappie.

I did not see many others bringing any in either but certainly a lot of boats out there.

Friday you could not keep crappies off the hook as well as days prior. A lot of docks went in on Saturday in the bay and that really stires things up...water was like chocolate milk. Seems to be more docks going in each year and for the last two years the crappies really stop until things settle down. You can try deeper or just wait for the water to clear up. Should be good for this weekend...but...most will be after walleyes.

Many many many reports of people catching nice walleyes while fishing crappies...should be a great opener! Weather looks like it will cooperate as well.

Can't wait! I am heading out around 1 am after I close the store...to hit my traditional spot.

Fish On!

Many many many reports of people catching nice walleyes while fishing crappies...should be a great opener! Weather looks like it will cooperate as well.

i have caught a couple good ones while going for bowfin. and a big one while going for crappie. and alot of my dads fishing buddys have been landing some 5lb+ fish while going for crappie around LP and osakis. i cant wait for opener! its gonna be great! i plan on hitting the mouth of the lagoon where i got my big ones. hopefully i will catch a few as they go in, or leave the lagoon. (the lagoon is posted like always lol)

Here's an idea...

We need to lobby the Gov. to swap around Mother's Day and Father's Day. Who was the wise guy that put Mother's Day on the walleye opener? That should be Father's Day!

If we could get the Gov. to pass legislation to change these around...we would have a lot more happy fathers and then we could really focus and show our appreciation to our Mother's at the appropriate time (not the walleye opener).

I am going to see if we can at least get it changed around in Pope County...maybe that will start the ball rolling.

I am out of the store for a couple of days getting some prescribed burns done down south. Get those done and then we can focus on more of the local burns. I will check in if I can otherwise I will hope to check in on Friday.

Who's going fishing at midnight? Count me in for 1 am!

Fish On!

Bassmasher

Ha...not fishing from a boat on the opener...secret shore spot. smile You are welcome to join me at that spot however. I plan to have the store open until 1 am for the midnight crew heading out and then I will go out after that. If...if...I don't get some fish in the secret spot, then I may put the boat in...did you see the "walleye moon" last night! There are some spots I would love to hit with the boat after midnight as well but not sure if I am that ambitious after doing prescribed burning all week...I am beat tired. Good burns though! We have been working around the southern MN area this week.

Give me a shout or stop by if anyone wants some tips for the opener on Minnewaska.

Fish On...and on...and on...and on!

ps...no one commented on my switching Mother,s and Father,s day so Father's Day would be on the fishing opener? My wife already agreed to it and loved the idea. I think we can get that rolling and allow all fathers to fish hard on the walleye opener and take care of Mother later on. Just a thought.

I told my wife that all the big momma walleyes need to see me on mothers day as well. She didnt think that was too funny. I said I had to go because I was planning on making her fresh walleye for mother's day dinner. That did not go well either. Call me crazy, but I am thinking about asking if she wants to go fishing.

Funny. My wife is all for switching Mother's Day and Father's Day...actually really excited about it! So last night she took "ME" out for supper to celebrate Father's Day...and she was telling everyone that as well. It was funny to see everyone's reaction when we told them that we switched them around and we were out for Father's Day. When they thought about it, they then said..."hey, that's a great idea!"

Axman has the same dilema that a lot of guys have...if we switched Mother's Day and Father's Day, that would not be an issue anymore as men all over would now get to enjoy the walleye opener without issue.

Not many reports back from yesterday's fishing as of yet. I went to my "secret spot" at 12:30 am Saturday morning and the second cast I had a 3 lber on but got off 20 ft. from me. I lost a couple more smaller hits until I finally got a 16 incher to hang on. Less than 5 minutes into fishing and I had my first walleye. I went up and dropped him into the bucket and called my buddy to come down and fish with me. Next cast I got another 16 incher...this was starting to be fun! I missed a few more hits and did get another 15 incher but it was dang cold and the wind was howling through so I took my three fish and went home.

I didn't get out again but I did notice that most people were waiting until it warmed up before heading out on the lake...11 am to noon it got busier. Amazing how many still came in for crappie minnows to go after the Waska crappies even though it was the walleye opener.

Nice day to get some more prescribed burning done so I will be doing that all day instead of taking the day off to go fishing on my "Father's Day". smile

Fish On!

Th crappies were slow yesterday in the am.. I went to the marina after hitting my walleye haunt early am.. I got 2 but it was a total ZOO out there.. Glad I was on shore!! Anyway back to the marina, I got my limit of 5 crappies and kept 7 sunnies for lunch yesterday.. seemed to be after the sun came out for a bit, the sunfish really turned on, mostly in the 7-9 in range.. not huge but big enough 4 a small meal.. Landrr you need to e-mail me at sw_mn_basscaster @ yahoo.com I have business I'd like to talk with you concerning your place of employment.. thanks!

Gonna be gail force winds for a couple of days out here. Probably best to stay off the big lake. Thursday winds will be back down and temps up. Weekend also looks good but still on the cool side.

I would really recommend trying some night fishing on Minnewaska...go shallow at 3 to 6 feet using a F11 Vampire at 1.5 to 2.0 mph or still fish with a shinner or fathead. We still have some moon left and it is supposed to be partly cloudy so night fishing can be really great.

Fish On!

Not too bad of a day today on the big pond. Even with yesterday's wind...there is always a calm spot somewhere on the lake. With yesterday's NW wind, the landing at the DNR is relatively calm for putting in...and the entire north side of the lake is protected by the bluffs and trees...makes for nice fishing and there are many many great spots along that north side. I checked the east side Reno landing yesterday and even with the NW winds it was relatively calm to put in...just a slight chop on the water. Reno also has high bluffs and trees to protect the entire north side from wind. On windy days...keep these two lakes in mind.

Today the wind is out of the south but not as high...Beach landing would be good as well as DNR landing...might be a day to try the south side hot spots. My favorites are Swenson Point and west using 200 series Reef Runners.

Walleyes are still shallow at night feeding on the lake shiners. Forget the beauty sleep and go fishing! Plenty of time to sleep when you are dead.

I got that nasty flu/cold crud so I have been laid up for a couple days. Hopefully I will shake it soon so I can get on with spring work.

Still selling more crappie minnows than anything. I am too sick to get out and try it myself but they must be catching something since they keep coming back.

Fish On!

Either that or their cats get fed well or they love sushi!!! Get well soon!

Not too bad of a day today on the big pond. Even with yesterday's wind...there is always a calm spot somewhere on the lake. With yesterday's NW wind, the landing at the DNR is relatively calm for putting in...and the entire north side of the lake is protected by the bluffs and trees...makes for nice fishing and there are many many great spots along that north side. I checked the east side Reno landing yesterday and even with the NW winds it was relatively calm to put in...just a slight chop on the water. Reno also has high bluffs and trees to protect the entire north side from wind. On windy days...keep these two lakes in mind.

Today the wind is out of the south but not as high...Beach landing would be good as well as DNR landing...might be a day to try the south side hot spots. My favorites are Swenson Point and west using 200 series Reef Runners.

Walleyes are still shallow at night feeding on the lake shiners. Forget the beauty sleep and go fishing! Plenty of time to sleep when you are dead.

I got that nasty flu/cold crud so I have been laid up for a couple days. Hopefully I will shake it soon so I can get on with spring work.

Still selling more crappie minnows than anything. I am too sick to get out and try it myself but they must be catching something since they keep coming back.

Fish On!

Thanks for the reports Landdr!!! We will be up to see you in a few weeks. Keep fishin on!!!

Vexipro...just giving good reports to get people fishing.

SpitnArguDuckClub...not a problem. Wish I could get out more myself...just a busy time of the year and I have not been feeling well with this sinus infection. Very painful stuff.

Came in last night from prescribed burning and the east wind left the Glenwood Beach looking too good...I could not pass up the opportunity for a few casts from the boat landing dock. Still not feeling well but the wife did not know I was back yet...so what the heck.

I ended up catching one 13" and missed another...but not the bite that I thought it would be. No full moon however. Glenwood still have not gotten the lights to work down there either which really brings the walleyes in even if there is no moon. I will be contacting them again today.

This weekend looks to be really great...finally the winds will be down! Even with today's east winds, the DNR landing and Glenwood Landing are beautiful to put a boat in...just a slight chop on the water. There is always a calm spot on the big pond!

Fish On!

Report: 18-25 FOW lindy rigs...4 to 5 ft snell......shiners or creek chubs, colored hooks have worked best for me, red or orange,with any color bead, early morning until 10:00 am have been the best times. This is for walleyes, but we have caught/released a ton of smallmouth in the areas we fish.

I certainly appreciate the support...but I am going focus on fishing reports as that is what people ask me for.

I have still been pretty busy out on prescribed burns...we have about 12 left and we are done for the spring. Whew! Burned one yesterday that was 451 acres...now that is a fire!

Because of that I have not been in much to catch the reports. My cousin said that he had supper at Torgy's yesterday and watch a couple of boats not too far out from Torgy's dock pulling in crappies...might be worth a try and that is where we got into them earlier.

I did get out last night for some night fishing...3 small walleyes. It was pretty calm and no moon...not my ideal situation at all but I needed to just get the boat out for awhile. I told some friends that I have been working a lot and away from home so I needed to spend some time with my signigicant other............my boat! smile

Two weeks we will have our full moon phase going...definately need to be on the lake at night for that.

A LOT of bass and sunfish being caught. The tourists and kids like that..."hard not to catch fish" is what they say.

A lot of boats down on Reno as well. Seemed many were drifting the line along the east shore with others scattered out across the lake.

Fish On!

I did get out last night for some night fishing...3 small walleyes. It was pretty calm and no moon...not my ideal situation at all but I needed to just get the boat out for awhile. I told some friends that I have been working a lot and away from home so I needed to spend some time with my signigicant other............my boat! smile

I hope you like sleeping with your fishing rod!!! Looks like it will be the only lovin you'll get for a while. blush

Just spent the last couple days on Waska - Lots of good eater walleyes pulling lindys or bouncing a jig and minnow in the evening and at nite. We also caught some bass and some really nice sunfish. The sunnies are not setting the world on fire, but the ones we did catch were nice.

FI

I was out on Friday night and Saturday evening with a buddy. One eater walleye on Friday night with some bass (one smallie that was fun) and a few decent sized sunfish.

Saturday, caught two walleyes 20+ and a few bass. It was pretty slow going but at least caught some fish.

What is said on the forum stays on the forum...right? smile As long as my wife does not subscribe to FM I might still be ok.

Went out for about an hour Sunday night and got 2 16s and 1 18 pulling Reef Runners at 13 to 14 feet. A lot of bass and a few pike as well...never a dull moment.

Full moon is coming...gonna get the F11 Vampires ready for some night fishing!

Fish On!

Another nice weekend on the big pond.

I did not get out this week and probably won't get out over the weekend either...still got a couple of burns up north to get done. Most people have been going with shiners but leaches and fatheads are popular as well. I have not heard much for reports on success...I need to get out fishing!

Really good crappie bite still going off Torgy's point. I have also heard crappies are still moving in shallow on other area lakes as the water temps continue to rise a little.

Visitors are really catching a lot of bass, pike and sunfish. Keeps the kids happy and interested.

Fish On!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a week late but the 30th and 31st we kept couple short of limits of walleye out from the high school around the island. This was at night mind you beacuse of the wind we had to resort to that. Minnows on a 4 foot rig witha couple glow beads. Also casted cranks on top of the island produced two nice 18inchers.

Friday night (6/5) 3 guys caught several Bass, one Northern and 3 walleye, one 13 1/2, one 16 and one 27 1/2". Only the middle walleye didn't go back into the water. I'm not exactly sure where we were, somewhere on the south side.

Any tips on where the big smallies are hiding out? Heading up on Friday looking for some smallie fishing TIA

We just havn't been pulling up many smallies for some reason. I would expect them to be where the walleyes are but we just havn't seen many of them and the ones we caught were smaller.

If I were after them, I would try all of the rocks and drops on the south side. School Point and Priest's Point are good areas as well to try.

Still in a full moon phase if these clouds would ever leave. Starting to get me a little edgey that I can't be out with a full moon!

Jon P...nice fish...I can't believe you didn't GPS that spot when I wasn't look'n!

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions