• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I'm back!!! smile

Went to Florida with the fam for a week. Then came back to this (bad language). 80 F there...-3 F here this morning. That is just not right. But...-3 keeps good ice! smile

I heard nothing but great reports when I was gone. Nice numbers and sized gills. Still have to move around a little if you find yourself in a less active area. They are there...just move a little. Some people get on them right away...others may spend a half hour to hour moving and then find them one right after another.

Still no crappie bite to speak of. Not sure what is going on. Usually late season is really great out from Torgy's, along Crappie Town and even into Torgy's Bay. Anyone been trying these areas with any reports?

We got about 8 to 10 inches of snow but traffic in and off the lake will open that up in a hurry. 4wd should not have any problem at all. 2wd better stick to the trails to start with. With the nice temps forcasted for the weekend...I don't think the snow will stick around long. Ice is still in great condition and I don't see it deteriorating much for at least a few weeks...depending on weather of course.

Someone asked about fishing in June? (I think that was the date) Panfish for the kids off the dock is hard to beat on Waska and you will find A LOT of nice bass there as well. I had several people in the store last year that said "it is hard not to catch fish in this lake". The kids should have a great time! Walleye and pike...I have some really good spots for that time of the year but we can talk about that and update as we get closer to that time. Some of my best walleye fishing on Waska last year was in July and August. My three biggest were all 28.5 inchers...I will be working hard for a 30 incher again this year!

Glad to be back!

Fish On!

I will be at the sport shows this weekend...we have a booth at the NW Sport Show as well as the Deer Classic. Stop by and say hello if you are there...great to put a face to some of the names. I also give a seminar at the Deer Classic on "Small Property Management for Whitetails" and another one on how to design habitat on your property with government programs. Cousin Luke will be working at the store if you need to pick up one of the free lake maps for accesses and fishing locations.

Looks to be a great weekend to be out on the lake. Good luck to those that are heading out!

Fish On!

just got off - there was a car out there

you can drive anywhere out there as long as you don't drive in the drifts. Fishing was tough (I fished mid day). They are there - just did not want to bite.

Heading up with the 4 wheeler tomorrow morning, looking for some advice on location and which landing to go out from. Thanks in advance for the help.

Well im heading up tomorrow AM, gonna stop at Landdr's shop and pick up some bait and probably head out of sheriff's access off of 29. thats what I used last time i was up there. +

have the sunfish moved in depthwise at all from where they were approx 2 weeks ago? I caught them in 15-17 then, and Im gonna start where i was last time and bounce around till i find them, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cr. I was there last weekend and found the mAJORITY IN 13-15 FT hopin to get up there sunday!

I MAY get to go tomorrow!! Cr I use the same access so if ya like, look for a maroonish explorer 96 model and a green 1 man fishouse :-)

I haven't been there for a while, but have heard reports of having to sort also. Getting alot right at 9"'s or slightly over and putting them back or too small - under 7". But the number's of total fish have been great, and pretty easy to get enough "slots" for a nice meal. Good luck..

SLOW on saturday. I worked to keep 6 fish. We bounced around all over and talked to a few guys too who said the fish just werent cooperating.

the smaller the jig the better luck i seemed to have.

I did manage to catch a wicked nice sunburn though. have the raccon eyes and everything!

Had booths at the sport shows over the weekend so I was not around to get first hand information...but...

Reports where that some were catching limits and others were not. One guy would come in that could not find much at all and another 3 would come in that all had limits. I agree...small jib with small bait. I have always liked the #14 Marmuska's with two small wigglers hooked sidways.

Also getting more reports of crappies picking up.

Trucks were out on the ice this morning when I drove by. Some puddles of water so wear waterproof boots. There was 30 to 32 inches of ice on Waska this year so I would expect the ice to hold out for quite a bit longer.

48 F right now with a light breeze.

I will post more this week as I have other reports.

Fish On!

landdr, i brought my uncle up with me this weekend to fish, told him what bait shop we were going to and how i heard about it and turns out he says he's talked to you before about Prarie Land Management.

SMALL world!

It is small and getting smaller!

We try to stay busy..."Get'r Done on Land!"

We used to do over 10,000 acre of native grass planting a year, over 200,000 trees, food plots, feeders, nest structures, etc., etc. Really amazing to think back on the hay days and how much we got done in a year. Hard working and very dedicated crew.

66F here today with a light breeze...amazing weather! Hard to think back on the -20 from a few weeks back.

Fish on!

I drilled holes to the bottom of the motor mount yesterday, but its sloppy at the accesses. Hunts seemed to be in decent shape though

hunts looked good on Saturday, Sheriff's was pretty wet. Once you got out there it was plenty good!

we were up sat. and we had to sort through the sunnies but kept about two limits of sunnies between three of us and actully got into the crappies thanks to a couple of guys from albany they took my son under there wing and tought him how and i was so impressed with them that they were willing to do that. they had already limited out so they wouldn't have had to but i am very gratefull to them as my son had a BLAST!! thanks to you guys again if you guys read this forum !!!!! You don't see that to often

landdr: was up to see you on the 17th bought the gold jig with the colorado blades from you and talked to you about the food plot busisnes ie: wildlife buffet remember well we did very well caught all of my fish on that jig ended with 18 crappies and 34 sunfish but no sunfish were under 8" very good fishing although i fished in about 80 holes that day. 11 hrs on the water is brutal even in the winter.

Seems to be a lot of reports of crappies picking up on Waska...nothing like waiting til the end of the ice year to cooperate! Hearing of some nice sizes as well in the 11 to 12 inch plus range. I expect these fish are getting more aggressive and moving towards Torgy's Bay.

Sunfish bite seems to be pretty solid yet as well.

Some trucks and cars still going out however many are converting to ATV and walking. Still thick ice but some have said that it is starting to "chip" more with the warm weather.

Reno has also been strong with the crappies...a little slower with the gills but they are there as well.

Can't beat this late season bite! Good ice yet and the fish are cooperating!

Fish On!

Ice has really firmed up with the colder temps. Still cars and trucks out on the lake so accesses are still ok for vehicle passage. 24 F as of right now...making ice!

Went up on Reno this morning...caught a few but everyone was talking about "yesterday's bite". Isn't that the way it always goes. Yesterday they couldn't keep the crappies off the hook...this morning was more challenging but they were all waiting the the day to warm up and the bite to pick up. If you spent the morning out there I don't think you would have a problem getting a limit of crappies.

Still good reports from Waska on sunfish and crappies. I have not heard how good the crappie bite has been over the last couple of days but the sizes seem to be in the 11 to 12 inch size. Nice fish.

Fish on!

Landdr- Are the crappies hitting during the day with sunnies or is it more of an evening thing? May head up there on Saturday for my last day on the ice.

last saturday we were getting them(crappies) during the day with sunnies 11 to 3 is when i was out. But where would a guy go if you---( i ) mainly don't dare to drive anymore, any suggestions were a guy could park and still walk out as i don't own a wheeler? any suggestions welcome thanks in advance

Waska and Reno are both putting out crappies all day with the morning and evening tending to be a little better. But that also can change as yesterday it seemed to be more mid day. That is why it is fishing.

Most are parking at the DNR landing with ATV or walking out...not too far of a walk...200 to 600 yards maybe depending on how far you want to go out. Crappies are moving in so it may get to be a shorter and shorter walk.

I drove off the access with my truck yesterday and most are still doing that. It is also a short 100 yard walk plus or minus.

Fish On!

I have had several calls on ice conditions so thought I would post an update. Ice conditions on both Reno and Waska are in great condition. Still vehicles out on both lakes. Some are walking or using ATVs however. A lot of ice!

Currently 34 F with just a gently breeze. Supposed to be calm winds all day with a high of 54 F. Wow...nice day! Tomorrow is supposed to be windy with a high of 52 F.

Great fishing weather!

Fish On!

Looks like you guys had a lot of rain up that way..1.5" inches according to Channel 5. Wondering what the ice is looking like? I made the trek up there on Saturday and we did well on the crappies. The sunfish were small which surprised me. Kept only 4 of the 30-40 we caught. The ice was great on Saturday.. I would say 30 inches, pretty hard yet and coulda probably drove out but decided to walk. Might have to make one more trip up this weekend..weather permitting.

Actually does anyone no how the ice is now after all the rain? I work in willmar and foot lake is pretty much shot. and if the rain hit up there like in benson that ice must be looking pretty bad to just wondering if it will be worth it this sat. because there's no way i would walk out on foot anymore.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions