• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stop in at the bait shop south of the stoplights in glenwood, left side of the road. Landdr can hook you up with a map and bait.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

Bottle Bay is kinda in the NE part of the lake off Hwy 29.

Stop in if you need a map...got some free ones on the counter to help you out with getting around the lake.

Fish On!

Red and white.

What a great day and still 36 F right now. Had some pretty good reports in from today.

Had fresh sunfish tonight...cooked them up for Grandma at her assisted living place. She loves sunnies! Need to get some more now.

Fish On!

Thanks crothmeier for directions to the bait shop. Thanks also to Landdr for pointing us in the right direction to bottle bay. We had a decent outting, 1 limit of sunnies with a lot of them a half pound. Also threw a lot back, all in all a good day

Just wondering if there is a somewhat crappie spot that might be worth trying next Monday night. Thanks

Anybody having any luck on sunfish going out of the south/Starbuck side?? I know that I've had luck there in the summer but when I went around Minnewaska a couple weeks ago there were very few houses on the south, they were all grouped up on the north side. Was thinking of making a run up there this weekend and driving on by Starbuck. How many feet of water would you start in?

Crappies are still an unknown. Waska traditionally has such a great crappie but but it never developed this year...yet. The crappies have to move through Crappie Town to stage up in Torgy's Bay...then to move through the culvert to spawn in Shallow Pond. There are a few spots to try...if you stop in I can point some out to you. I know last year they had an excellent late ice crappie bite...have to see if that develops again for this year.

Thanks for the good posts and reports.

Fish On!

i am going to try to make it up for my very first time fishing waska this saturday, was just curious as to how much snow you guys got today, looks like it is pretty much done up there, do you think i will be able to get around good with a 4 wheel drive and wheel house. also any ideas on the fastest way to get there from the annandale area, thanks guys

You could do that. I'm actually not sure which one is faster, but I know traffic on 55 can get a little nerve racking at times from my experience. Either way you will get there. That's the way I go from St. Cloud anyway. Good luck!

Chris, I drive both routes fairly often.

Hwy55 will be about 15 miles shorter, but take around 1/2hr longer. Both my experience and googlemaps info.

Depends what you're comfortable pulling your house on. 94 to 28 is easy. 55 is more slowing down /stop and go through towns, but much more scenic.

I like the 55 drive more than 94, but honestly, I take 94 more often because of the time factor. Good luck.

There was a lot of drifting on the lake last night. We went out since it was pretty slow at the store due to the weather. Got out about 5 or so and fished sunnies for an hour or so. Caught pretty close to 20 and only threw back a couple small ones...otherwise all others were REALLY nice gills. Sure is fun catching those rod benders. Going to try to cook them up tonight for a little fish fry and probably try to get out to add a few more to the supper.

We got a little lost on the way back in to shore...very limited visability! We finally lined up with one of the roads going to Sheriff's Landing and heading home with some tired kids.

The snow is soft and you can blow through it so I think travel will be pretty easy for 4WD this weekend. Lots of snow for banking houses now. 2WD should be fine on the trails that will be made.

Really a lot of gills down there and great size...but they are still not very agressive. Certainly can get your limit in a couple of hours but you would think that they would love that easy food! That's fish'n.

Fish On!

alright. thanks for all the information guys, really looking forward to getting up there tommorrow for the first time. do they bite pretty much all day with the best time peaking at around 5 or is it just that last couple hours.

also were looking for a resort to go to this summer for a few days, anybody have any recomendations of a good resort on waska, thanks

Gills are more aggressive in the morning and in the evening (4 to 6), especially the bigger ones...but you can catch them all day as well. Maybe more picking through them during the day. But as many have posted, if you keep moving and checking other spots, you can get into some new fish and big fish that are aggressive.

I went out to School Bar last night for about an hour...only about a dozen gills but they were all huge! I had to hold them sideways instead of in my palm to unhook. Less quantity but better quality!

Hunts, Waskawood, Woodlawn...they are all good and will take good care of you. When you are up this weekend, drive by each of them and tak a look. All of them are along Co Rd 54 going from Glenwood along the lake out west to Hwy 29.

Fish On!

thanks landdr. thats quite a fishery you guys have up there. we ended up doing very well. lots of nice gills, we had action all day. we had to do some sorting but ended up getting a 2 man limit fairly easy. what a blast! look forward to coming up there this summer.

Was out yesterday from 12-5 we managed to catch 4 limits. Had to do some sorting but it was a good day on the ice!

I am going to Waska for the first June 20-27 2009. Could anyone give me any ideas where to start? I am looking to get into some decent sunfish for my kids, Walleye, pike and musky for myself and brother. I have heard about "crappie town" where is that located? I wouldn't mind getting into that?

How's the snow depth out there right now? I'd like to stay mobile on the wheeler tomorrow if I can get around without getting stuck.

you should be good to go with the wheeler.....There were trucks and wheelers driving pretty much everywhere out there today.

basssmasher*

Went Saturday and what a blast!! Access was gettin a bit soft but people were still pulling perms out to fish. Plenty of fish some sorting but for the mostpart all the sunnies were about 9 in.

Plenty of fish some sorting but for the mostpart all the sunnies were about 9 in.

9" average?? I haven't heard of too many limits like that, good work.

Bob Schroden

When I tried to buy bait there last week, the sign on the door said "closed" on vacation.

walleyeman1

I hope they are not taking limits of 9 inch sunfish. There is plenty of 71/2 to 8 inchers for eating. Throw the big ones back and eat the smaller ones.

I dont think many are taking limits of 9"ers.....We were up there three days last week and caught maybe two or three that were 9" or bigger. I put a ruler to almost all of them. Lots of 7" to 8.5" though.

I hope they are not taking limits of 9 inch sunfish. There is plenty of 71/2 to 8 inchers for eating. Throw the big ones back and eat the smaller ones.

I agree. There's a great thread ("good eating sized keepers....") in the "Crappie-Sunfish" forum that speaks to this. It made me rethink some of my panfish harvest practices and actually made my time on (fishing) and off the water (eating) more rewarding knowing that those "breeders" are still doing their thing. Hopefully making more pictures of the youngsters (young and old) releasing the handsized "muckadoozers" and keeping pails of "eaters" possible for us years to come.

Would be nice to see this winters bite continue for years to come, both for the fun factor and small businesses in the area.

basssmasher*

i kept 3 9 in ers. 2 of which bit so light they swallowed my little hook and had to keep em. all the rest I kept were about 7.5 It was fun catchin the bigger gills though, don't worry they are still there cuz i let the rest go lol

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Pike anglers catching fish in back bays. Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are the go to presentations.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers looking to keep a sturgeon have through May 7th.  After that catch and release kicks in again.  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the most common setup.  
      Good numbers of fish, all size ranges, being caught.  Sturgeon have been active.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• CJH
      By CJH
      Anybody been out or heard any water temps on the Le Homme Dieu Chain?  The weather has been so up and down, kind of curious where they are at.  

Thanks much!!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Most attention right now is with sturgeon and pike with anglers looking forward to the May 15th walleye opener.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are all over LOW and the Rainy River and are where pike are being caught.  Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are all working.  
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon fishing is in full swing and fishing is good.  Now through May 7th is the sturgeon harvest season (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!  Some huge sturgeon being caught in excess of 70 inches.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, around Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lake of the Woods is ice free!  Walleye anglers are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener on May 15th.  Based on the big fish in the Rainy River this spring, there is a lot of excitement!
      The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are where pike spawning activity is taking place.  The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   The spring walleye season closed with good success.  Despite varying clarity and some spring rains pushing debris into the water, hearty walleye anglers still pulled some very good fish last week.  Now looking toward the walleye opener.  
      Sturgeon fishing this past week was excellent.  Sturgeon of all sizes being caught which bodes well for the health of the fishery which is very strong.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 4-6 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• BigTrucka
      By BigTrucka
      Hey all, just moved back to MN where I grew up after living in the PNW for a long while. I became addicted to fishing rivers and streams out there and have started to check out the offerings in the NW section of the state as of yesterday’s opener. Wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can give me some pointers or just tell me if I’m wasting my time since that’s what I’m wondering right now since I didn’t find any signs of fish. I’m using a spinning rod with Mepp’s and Panther Martin style spinners and went through a bunch of color combos. I started yesterday morning at the Clearwater River in western Beltrami County essentially on the border with Clearwater County where the state has some land and a pretty lengthy easement. Probably a well known area. Beautiful area to walk through. Found multiple holes, but yeah no fish at all. I waded for a bit and decided to leave. I went south since I live closer to Moorhead and stopped at Felton Creek. I’ve read a DNR study about this creek having a decreasing population of fish, but it’s still considered a trout stream although not “designated”. I understand the channelization of creeks in this region ruined fish habitat over the last 100 years, but still find some DNR material as of the last 5 years that reference Felton Creek as a spot for trout. Walked the stream for a bit before I left and headed to Lawndale Creek south of Barnesville. I waded through the AMA on the Atherton WMA expecting to find some brook trout since the DNR has stocked it as of at least 2017. Nothing through the entire stretch besides frogs and minnows. Are there actually fish in these places? The Clearwater and Lawndale are designated trout streams. The Clearwater is stocked annually and Lawndale is supposed to have wild brook trout. Anyone have any experience in these spots? Should’ve just drove down MN200 & 71 to the obvious spots in Becker/Hubbard?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... The lake is still ice covered with big stretches of open water which is expanding daily.  Anglers fishing the lake are fishing in front of the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters LOW.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River during the spring walleye season which lasts through April 14.  The walleye season opens again on May 15th.
      Pike Fishing.  Open water is available in the back bays such as various Four Mile Bay, Bostic Creek, Zippel Bay and backwaters on the Rainy River where pike spawn.  Some nice pike being caught in shallow water areas.  These areas are off of the main lake and perfect for small boats.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   This past week was nothing short of incredible for walleye fishing on the Rainy River.  Large numbers of big walleyes were caught and released.  Many fish 30 - 33+ inches in the mix.  Exactly why anglers love the Rainy River in the spring.  
      Good reports up and down the river including Four Mile Bay.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Most anglers targeting holes in the river.  Some sturgeon being caught on rolling sand dunes with fish laying in the depressions. Wherever there is food and a bit of slacker water!
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Locals are able to get their boats from the mainland (Angle Inlet) to most areas of the islands.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• leech~~
      By leech~~
      Whats your guess? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Most of the lake is still ice covered with the exception of large areas adjacent to inflowing water such as the Lighthouse Gap (Rainy River) and Morris Point Gap (Bostic Creek) areas.  Open water is expanding daily.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14. 
      Open water is becoming available in many of the back bays around the lake where pike spawn.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   River fishing started out strong, slowed down with cold weather and the Big Fork and Little Fork Rivers spilling mud into the Rainy River and now is picking up again.  The water is clearing and water temps are on the rise.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Walleyes caught in various depths down to 35 feet.  
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon aren't as affected by dirty water as they feed by scent.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Various areas are starting to open up.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Raven77
      West end this afternoon:     Richie Bay 48     Black Bay  55  
    • Raven77
      Bill, you can follow me around for walleyes if I can follow you around for crappies 
    • imhatz
    • MikeG3Boat
      Anyone heading to the WFC for the opener this weekend?  I am planning on heading up on Friday morning and hope to find some Crappie on Friday before trying to some Walleye on Saturday.  Last time on the water the temps were only low to mid 40's.  Anyone have any updates on the water temps?  I will be fishing in a Red G3 boat with a Black Talon and Yamaha kicker.  Stop and say hi if you see me, I might be fishing solo this weekend.  I will publish something about my trip Sunday or Monday.  Good Luck Everyone!  Stay safe and Tight Lines!
    • mbeyer
      Tripp   Always good to see this tread bumped and revived for the spring. Maybe, I run in to you this year on the lake......
    • gimruis
      I've seen over 40 boats parked on a small flat on Mille Lacs before.  You can whisper to the boat fishing next to you as long as you aren't running an old loud 2-stroke motor.  Pool 4 in the spring can also be bumper boats and that's even more interesting because there's current.   I'm sure others can comment about how close people come when ice fishing.  The only written law I'm aware of is that you cannot legally fish within 10 feet of another fish house.  If someone is within casting distance of me, that is too close.  That includes recreational boats too.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Mother Nature gave Minnesotans extra ice-free days this spring on many of the state’s water bodies, but relatively cool weather since then—including overnight lows in the 30s—means the water temperature may be lower than people expect. As anglers prepare to hit the water for Saturday’s fishing opener, it’s vital they keep this in mind and put their safety first. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Mother Nature gave Minnesotans extra ice-free days this spring on many of the state’s water bodies, but relatively cool weather since then—including overnight lows in the 30s—means the water temperature may be lower than people expect. As anglers prepare to hit the water for Saturday’s fishing opener, it’s vital they keep this in mind and put their safety first. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • PSU
      I realize this is the longest of long shots, but has anyone seen some coolers (one larger blue soft-sided, another smaller gray/blue) floating around Smart's Bay or Northern Hinsdale Saturday morning or perhaps at Timbuktu Marina?   We either left them at Timbuktu Marine, or they flew out of the boat going there in Smarts Bay or Northern Hinsdale.   Thanks  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.