• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

[Off-topic] - Fishing / Camping And Safety

I was wondering, my wife and I was thinking bout doing some camping and fishing. Do you guys think its wise that I carry my 9mm pistol with me for safety in the woods?
We're going up north somewhere and was just wondering if anyone else think it might be a good idea for safety or if its a stupid idea..

I've been camping enough in wilderness places, I've never had any problems, I highly doubt you'll ever even come close to danger without doing something totally wrong, like forgetting to put your bear bag up, and the keeping food in your tent, then petting the baby bears when they come in...

IMHO totally not needed, I wouldn't be against it, but I'm not really for it. I guess if you already have it, and you're not stupid smile.gif , it would be fine to bring with you, I think if you camped enough, and did things right, you'd end up leaving it at home, finding it unnesecery.

Been camping my whole life, and an occasional Raccoon or two is the worst I've ever ran into.
Unless you're going someplace so deep in the woods that's totally unused otherwise, I'd leave it at home.
Just use commmon sense. Don't keep food in the tent you're sleeping in, keep the campsite clean, use the facilities away from camp, etc, and you shouldn't have any troubles.
Besides, a 9MM is just gonna p*ss a bear off, unless you're a near perfect shot while you're shaking in your boots. You're better off having a decent radio that you can crank with you. Turn it up, and the animals will run away anyway. They don't like loud noises, after all.

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

[This message has been edited by slick814 (edited 06-17-2004).]

I've camped hundreds of times (well a whole **** load anyway) and never found a need for a gun. I've thought the same thing before though. Why not bring it? It can't hurt (unless you shoot yourself in the foot). You never know when someone might start playing "Dueling Banjos"! "Got a mighty pretty mouth". Yuck...I'd bring it for sure now that I think about it!

Uncle Dave,
That's precisely what I was thinking. I mean, you're out in the middle of the woods and you never know what can happen out there. I am trained to carry but when I think about it, its suppose to be a luxury time for the wife and I and not worry bout anything else. BUT then, like I said, you're in the middle of the woods, who knows what evil lie in the hearts of men or animal?

If it has come time to seriously worry about protecting myself from evil while camping I think its time to move to Canada. I can always find trouble if "I" am looking hard enough.

I would leave the guns for hunting and have a good time with the wife.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait