• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moving the Firearm Season

Black_Bay

The whole basis of qdm is to create a healthy herd. A herd that isnt over or under populated and has a wide range of deer ages. Too many are focused on the "trophy" aspect of qdm. Mature deer , yes often trophies , are a by product of a healthy, well balanced deer herd. If we want a biologically healthy herd then we need deer of all ages. By shooting the majority of the young deer our herd will be dominated by young immature deer from year to year.

And yes I remeber the 70's and 80's.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Musky Buck

• 96trigger

• Big Dave2

• BeezeHound

A healthy herd is one with a healthy buck/doe ratio. If MN would promote less bucks being shot we would have a more healthy ratio.

I remember the 70's and 80's as well. I also remember the REAL winters when the winter kills impacted the deer numbers for the following year.

Ya what ever happended to everyone loving the hunt now its not very fun unless its a monster

Thats Hittng it on the head Its about tradition. I have a couple good bucks that I have taken. But there worth nothing if you have to fight about if its big enough old enough. If you move the season back You will all be mad about the crappy weather. How many of you lked the weaher this year? Move the season thats what you will have.

A healthy herd is one with a healthy buck/doe ratio. If MN would promote less bucks being shot we would have a more healthy ratio.

I remember the 70's and 80's as well. I also remember the REAL winters when the winter kills impacted the deer numbers for the following year.

2008/09 is shaping up to be one of those "REAL" winters.

2008/09 is shaping up to be one of those "REAL" winters.

AGREED!

At this point I'm a bit concerned for the deer, but it is early. It's been a cooler Nov and Dec. from what I remember in at least the RECENT past.

Yes, last year by the end of winter, the deer were very thin, I might have to start feeding them soon if we keep getting more snow and less melting days. I don't recall last year being terribly harsh until February, this year it is starting much earlier and no end in sight, just more snow.

• 4 weeks later...

Does move just as much if not more during the rut then bucks do. So changing the season would just drop the number of overall deer sightings and if you cant see them you cant shoot them so the population would just skyrocket. If people want to see bigger bucks then quit shooting the little ones. MN seems to have a terrible buck to doe ratio so it should be easy to shoot a doe instead of a buck anyways. Shoot the bigger does too. There have been a couple studies suggesting that fawns and 1.5 yr does have a better chance of producing bucks than a 2.5 or older doe.

Lungderflator, I don't think your studies are correct, the male deer decides the gender of the offspring, so it is the buck that determines the gender of it's offspring....If I am wrong, forgive me, I am only a PE teacher, but if I remember biology correctly, the Male sperm decides the gender of the baby.

No way, I teach Elementary PE, MTV teaches those kids all they need to know about that stuff.......

I don't think the buck's sperm has anything to do with determining the gender of the fawm(s). Everything I've read has said that the ratio of fawns is 50:50 if not leaning slightly more towards more buck fawns.

I've read some stuff that says in areas with high deer populations. Does will give birth to more male fawns than females. Kind of natures way to slow down the reproduction and lower the population of deer. Likewise, in areas with low populations, more female fawns may be born.

I've also read stuff that claims that the age of the doe has implications on the sex of the fawn(s).