• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Orchard Lake

Orchard is a mixed bag for sunnies, Bluegills seem to be for the most part stunted, but you can get some decent sized Pumpkinseeds and Hybrids instead.

I've caught a few crappies there early season, but the main thing is the Bass. It's unusual to go a day without catching atleast one 3lb fish. Which is pretty dang incredible for a metro lake. Hooking a 4lber early season with a crappie minnow on an ultralight rod seems to happen more then I catch crappies on that lake wink.gif.

Oh, and I fish orchard quite a bit. Look for a silver crew cab GMC sonoma with a stuffed bass on the dash and FM sticker on the rear window wink.gif My boat is a little old 14' red lund with fish stickers on the sides. Might get out there either Thurs or Friday after work.

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 06-23-2004).]

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beef46

• buzzsaw

• Crawlerman

• Timmeye

Well if you guys are heading out on Thursday night, maybe I will as well! I have a 18 ft Crestliner sportfish (tan/black) with mercury 125 on the back.... I'll be over by the weedbed popping up on the northeast side.
probably around 5:30-6:00.

Mike

Buzzsaw,

I will be out there Thursday. 04 Crestliner Superhawk 1700 (Gray and White), Johnson 115. I was thinking about fishing that area a little bit as well but will probably troll around for awhile and pick up a few pike first. If I see ya over there I will pull up and say hello.

BTW, I remembered the question I was gonna ask you. If you are out there, I will just ask you then. Nothing big.

Bryan

BTW. I am pretty sure I saw a walleye caught on the West side of the point last night. Looked to be decent, maybe 16-18". I was a little ways away but that's what it looked like from where I was at.

I think I remember seeing rocks on that side of the point.

Sounds good Bryan!! I'm probably going to cast for some 'Ski's myself.

Mike

I fished orchard alot on the ice and early there are some realy nice crappies in there as well as some nice skies I caught 2 over 30" in one eve on a ultra light. I am also thinking of heading over there thurs and fri.
I live in lakeville and its a real easy lake to go to after work.I have a G3 bass boat stop by and say hi.

I fish orchard quite a bit on the ice and early spring i have done rather well there and there is alot of nice crappies in there and some nice skies as well.cought 2 in the same night crappie fishing with a ultralight.I to will be out there thurs and fri. I have a G3 bass boat white with a blue stripe stop by and say hi.

J-Musky,
You landed two muskies over 30 inches on ultralight tackle?? Holy cow thats impressive! I'll look for you as well!

Mike

See you all tomorrow then, I was out there today as well, though it was on-and-off with the thunderstorms. I got there late when the rain was already coming in, but saw some of the catches of the guys that were there awhile: One gentleman in particular had 15 beautiful crappies...two young kids in a 14' duck boat landed 5 4lb+ largemouths...it's a great little lake and it looks like it's in prime season right now.

My rig description is earlier in the post.

Given the late afternoon hour I will be arriving, I will be casting for muskie/northern, but please don't hesitate to come up and say hi, I would love to meet fellow FMers!

See you guys on the water this evening.

PS. I still would like to know how you guys are getting into these nice crappies. I can't seem to catch anything over 8-9". Oh well. (Mike, I haven't tried where you told me yet due to too many boats over there on Tuesday nite) The positive is come October, all those 8-9" will be 10-12".

Also, to those of you who fish this lake a lot. Is there a definitive weed edge close to a nice drop anywhere on this lake? Just curious.

I don't have the boat with me today, so it's prally going to not be tonight, but tommorow instead. Let me know how you guys do.

Crawlerman,

Your welcome to join me in my boat tonight... I'll be at the landing at approx 5:30-5:45 (I only live one minute from there)
I have the tan/black crestliner with the pewter tahoe.
or call me on my cell 651-336-3049

Mike

Mike,

I just left you a voicemail. Give me a call when you get a minute.

Bryan
952-240-0499 (cell)

Later

The problem being is I work inbetween Lakeville and my house (in Eagan I work) I'd have to run home and grab my gear and change first anyways. I generally bring a spare change of clothes and my boat/gear with me to work, then try to get on the lake about 4:30-5 so I can actually get a trailer stall. The earliest I could get there with or without the boat would be 6pm (as my boat only takes a minute to hitch up), so I dunno...

I'll be out until 8:30ish so it's up to you crawlerman. Just call me if you want to go out.

I went to Orchard tonight...arrived about 6:15...no trailer spots to be found. That was disappointing...my first attempt to get on the water in about a month. I shot over to Crystal Lake just so I get on some water. The best bass I had turned out to be a big ol' bullhead.

But the good news is I was out fishing instead of sitting inside wishing I'd gone.

Bryan,

Buzzsaw tells me your from Grand Forks. I grew up in Grafton - graduated high school in '89. He also said you go up to LOW quit a bit too. Small world. We have a cabin on the Canadian side near Morson. Heading up there today for a week of fishing.

Sounds like Orchard is a nice place to fish (with some nice little secrets too).

I just heared that Blais is leaving UND and is going to Columbus to be an Assistant Head Coach for the Blue Jackets frown.gif

well lets tell Thursdays story..... arrived at Orchard 5:15... got last parking spot WHEW! while pushing boat out away from shore took a dip chest high in the water... ruined cell phone, soaked wallet!! yippee so far so good! Met Beef46 (Bryan) and Jmusky both good guys who I look forward to fishing with more down the road! Anyways... I ended up catching one small muskie (24-26 inch range) didn't measure, some smallish Bass and a 11 1/2 crappie around dusk. The other two guys caught fish as well but they can post that for you. It was a perfect night on the water... If you tried calling me Crawlerman... many apologies as my cell phone was slightly damp. ( : I may go out on Orchard again this weekend so let me lnow who's heading out there.

Mike

I too am from up there..grew up in East Grand Forks..moved down here in Junior High. I live in Lakeville and fish Orchard a lot..both summer and winter...I might be out either Saturday early am or Sunday early am. 18ft green (Green Wave) Caravelle fish and ski..give a wave.

Muskieguy.......

Bunch of Sioux fans in the forum!
Go Gophers! ( : just playin'

Mike

Hi guys, I'm a friend of Bryans and all you guys from that Grand Forks area is trouble!!
Buzzsaw, it sounds like you showed Bryan how to fish. That is good he needs that!! Sounds like ya'll had a good time fishing and meeting fellow FMer's. That's great!!
Later

------------------
Get the Net!!

oh no, he knows what he's doing! Heck I started out the night trolling with my toes!

Well, I wouldn't say I know what I'm doing but I did show Buzzsaw how to catch those SLABS!! wink.gif Bwaahaaa.

It was a fun night. It was great to meet fellow FMers jmusky and Buzzsaw.

Mike, I had a good time fishing with you. We'll definately have to do it again soon. And that Honeyhole will be productive. wink.gif

TheGuy, I'll have to bring you out there so you can show me how to fish.

As for the fish, a couple of decent Bass nothing pigish. A bunch of 8-9" Crappies.
Big one of the night, 28" Pike. The story behind the pike.

I'm sitting on the bow seat throwing some topwater, half asleep and not paying attention. Lure gets about 3 feet from the boat and I'm about to pull it up for another cast when..............BAAAAAAM!!!! Scared the **** out of me. I fell half out of my chair and let out a grunt. Would have been really funny if I would have fell in the lake. He peeled line for a few seconds. Netted him, looked over about 100 yards to the SouthWest and Buzzsaw was holding up his 'Ski.

That's it. Fun night. Looking forward to next time. Maybe by then Buzzsaw will have some dry shorts and a functioning cell phone.

[This message has been edited by Beef46 (edited 06-25-2004).]

Shorelunch,

What's up man. It is a small world indeed. I graduated from Grand Forks Central in '92. Nice to see some fellow NoDaks around. You and I and Mike will have to hook up some day.

I used to go up to LOW alot growing up as it wasn't too far from GF. I haven't been up there for 10 years though.

Later

[This message has been edited by Beef46 (edited 06-25-2004).]

Hey Mike,

Here's my cell phone. 952-240-0499.

Call me with your home number or whatever. And let me know when you get a new cell phone.

Like I told you last nite, I may bring the boys out next Tuesday after work. Maybe see you out there then.

Cool! I have that cell phone in a closet with the dehumidifier frunning at full strength.... what are the odds it ever works again?? boo hoo hoo

What was the name off that twister tail type lure you and I were talking about again??

Mike- I learned that all my live bait was dead upon arrival home, and like someone mentioned earlier getting a trailer spot after 6pm on Orchard is Impossible.

So I didn't bother (and I was tired as well) I can usually get a trailer spot if I fly straight from work and get to the acess around 5. I might get out next week some night, and if so I'll post to here the night before if not earlier wink.gif