• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NEW Rush Report(chisago)

shackbash,

In retrospect, you are correct on both counts, the lake has always had tons of fishhouses on it. I just think we are just posting the the same info over and over "the crappies are bitting like crazy etc.." It is amazing to me that the quality of the fishery is still good with the pressure its gets. I just hope it remains that way.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FasterThanYou23

• JACOB09

• bassphish2005

• MN Angler

Everybody was drivin out today.And by the way,shackbash is absolutly right.Always has been and probably always will be a zoo.

I beg to differ shack. My parents owned and operated a resort on West Rush back in the 70's and the quantity and quality of the fish then put todays catch to shame!

You can't tell me with over 4,000 people looking at just this post that it doesn't add more pressure to this lake! You are nuts to think that it doesn't! Come on, does everybody have to go on here and brag about catching their "limit" everytime they go out here and post where they were fishing? In the end it is going to bite you in the rear the next time you go out to the lake and see 10 portables where you were fishing......

Quote:
West Rush back in the 70's

Hey, I never said anything about the 70's and the quality of fish grin. All though I think this lake is seeing better years. One term "septic systems" wink Back then, Rush City was like going to Alaska wink

When it comes to views to this thread, I can contest to about 20-30 and I have not even posted until now in this thread.

I do not have any plans (what so ever) to head to Rush this ice season or next. I feel most who view this thread just like reading reports. Not as many as you think are heading out to the lake to fish.

My honest findings over the last couple years is when I talk to people out on the lake, river or ice, I have only found a hand full of people who look on the internet for fishing info. Cut that in half on people who I have run into, that post or know about FM smile. Internet or not, I would think the crowds on Rush would be the same with the population growth the Metro area and area’s around Rush City.

Sign of the times and a fact of life in this state.

Hey, the people are going to be out their and if you can help a couple FM’ers get on fish, that is cool. I thinkk people who look in here where going out anyways (internet or not) smile It also helps the local economy around the area.

Next time you are out on the Rush, ask your neighbor if he came out because of FM. I think you would be shocked at the answer.

You are spot on Shackbash! I consider Rush my home lake being it is right down the road. It got a lot busier over the last few years because of the number of people moving into the area. Think of how many new homes were built within a 20 mile radius of this lake, the number is amazing. I don't think this forum makes it any busier, I ask fisherman frequently if they are a member of FM or surf the site and I have yet to have anyone say yes. It gets big traffic because it is the biggest lake around, it has a good fishing reputation, there are resorts with booze on the lake and because when people see others fishing they assume that the fish are biting and join the crowd. If we started talking about limiting out on 14" crappies on a very small lake with little to no fishing pressure on this forum you probly would see more traffic on that lake. That wouldn't be good and I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to give up that spot anyway!

Good points Johnsonator and shackbash. I will say that if you are out there right now, you better have 4 wheel drive. She is blowing and drifting and the temp is dropping. It was 21 when I went out and it is now 7.

I "like" to fish Rush. Last year I fished it almost exclusivly. Never fished with the croud, (unless fishing in my brothers perm in shanty town), always did better and was into bigger less presured fish than most. Saw some good, and some bad, some ugly. More bad than good. Trash, Theft, shacks kicked in, fights, drunken-ness, it never ended.

Being out of work, I was out on a lot of week days and saw some guys trying to find open houses they eventualy tried to take the auger out of the back of the truck, "...we have been looking for an auger can we use this one?" I told them if they had any brains in their head they would go. They did not expect someone else to be there and split in a hurry. That was just about it for me.

My goal this year is to not set foot on Rush lake. It stinks, but if I can avoid it I will. Of coarse if I NEED a quick limit I have a couple of "unknowns" that produce.

Rush has been a lake I always fish a couple times a year on the ice. I spend plenty of time on a bunch of area lakes and it seems Rush has always been a good lake. I fish it quite a bit with my cousin. Some year classes of crappies are stronger than others, but they lake boasts many great opportunities for catching fish. There are true trophy walleyes, a good perch population, a pretty good shot at a northern over 15 pounds, muskies (in the summer), and a healthy panfish population as well. The lake has the right structural make-up to do great things, and I personally think this is why a lot of people fish it.

The one thing I hate more than anything on the ice is the littering. People need to pick up their garbage and respect the resources. The people out picking fights and vandalizing other people's property should be reported to the authorities.

People also need to know that there are a bunch of special regulations on these lakes. There is a reason for it, without those regulations, the lake wouldn't be anything near what it is today.

All that being said, I will be out there Tuesday, and I will bring a garbage bag cause I am sure there will be plenty to pick up.

Let's have fun on the ice guys.

All the garbage from the weekend will be hidden in the snow drifts. It's a shame people have to be so disrespectful to this lake.

i was out there today noon till 7 and let me tell you the acces was horrible!!! they should do something with that road going up to the main road like salt it atleast i think there was a couple cars that went into the ditch before they stopped going and we had to wait for them to get pulled out.

I'm just surprised at how willing people are to give out the specific spot they're fishing out there.

Come one, come all? confused

I have enjoyed the lake for years and still learn something new about it when I AM OUT THERE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NEW. I found a couple things new to me this past year and thought it would be fun to try them early ice.

One spot in particular was named and that pretty much did it for me. I won't be out there this year at all.

Just me being a little henke I guess, but I prefer the chase and the catch to just strictly the catch.

Enjoy the lake and take care of it. I left a spot open for someone. wink

This was a problem last year also Evinrude. The road became icy, people parked out on the county road, chisago county ticketed everyone, yet nobody knew who was responsible for maintaining the acess. If I remember right, the rush point store worked very hard at getting this problem solved.

Quit your whining. Not everyone knows about this lake because of this website. I found out about this lake long before I found out about this website. I work with people who fish this lake who do not know this website even exists. The guys at the local watering hole know about this lake. My 20 year old sons friends know about this lake, and not this site.

Admit it, we fish, we talk, we invite friends. Word gets out, it is a fact of life. Why don't I see people in the Chisago thread whining about the channel,A-frame, or the Dinner Bell?

I went out on West Rush yesterday at 11a.m and packed up the shack by noon with a nece limit of crappies. I fished 30 feet of water with no other shacks near me. From what I hear there was no parking spots left at the landing.

Quit your whining.

You're funny. laughgrin

Just saying when the specific spot was called out, it shut down my wandering spirit. I know a gozillian people know about the lake so when you add the two it lead me to believe my new secret spot was probably actually a community one anyway.

Don't worry, I'll get over it. Good fishin to ya.

What I have learned from this lake:

Many of my favorite spots also filled up rather quickly. I usualy go out, and if my spot is populated (usualy only happens after December) I choose another. I have actualy ran out of experienced spots because they were all getting a crowd before I get there, so I learned to treat that crowded spot as a major piece of structure (so to speak)that draws fish near it, but the fish don't get too close to it. Pick an acceptable spot just 50-80 yds from the crowd and catch the fish they spooked out with all their noise and whatnot. Has not let me down yet. I just don't waist too much time doing that once the lake starts getting that all day sled/vehicle traffic driving EVERYWHERE, cuz they end up driving right by you ALL DAY. Thats when I search the crappie that time forgot. On the lil ol' lake that mankind forgot, if you know what I mean. But try what I said above, if your spot has got a crowd there, fish those perameters of that spot. Good luck all.

I was on East Rush on Friday with my full size truck and wheelhouse and so were a lot of others. There was about 13-15 inches in the 2 spots I fished. There were trucks and permanents all over the place.

a friend of mine was out on west sun and drove out with his half ton. I'm headin out from 10 to 2 tues I'll be in a eskimo grand caravan with a silver quad cab on the west side of wilson stop by if anyone is out

Everybodies drivin out,my trucks a little on the heavier side so I dont trust it yet.Some of that crackin is a little scary with the stock half ton trucks.Ill give it another week..A f250 and about a 14 foot wheel house came right by,felt like I was goin in.lol

ummm... yea... So I learned a valuable lesson tonight. You know all the dumb people we make fun of driving on lakes? Well that was me tonight. Following a well traveled path around 10pm tonight. Only a few hundred feet onto the ice and I was stuck. I called my dad of all people who only lives 10 minutes away to help shovel and pull me out. Dont ask what I was driving. It was not a truck. So here I am, at home, with no fish, and my pride still out on the lake.

So, I didnt let last night get me down! I went out today with my 4 year old son (yes, we walked out) and had a good time. Plenty of trucks driving all over the place along with sleds and wheelers also. Was fishing in 13 FOW with little success. Only a couple crappies around 5pm. So why a good time you ask? Well, I didnt get stuck, I was nice and toasty in a fish house, was with my son, and most of all... I was fishing!

Me and a buddy went out tonight and got our limit on crappies.Bit real good just before dark.

anyone know how much ice is out there now. I may go on Friday but would like to drive out there with the daughter. Thank you.

I measured 13-14 inches last night.Most are driving out.I dont quite trust it with my truck yet..