• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia - and frustrated...

I'm at a loss. Another 3 hours last night, without a bite. That makes it 1 bite in the last 10 hours on the lake.

Anyone have any reports on Waconia? Hopefully doing better? Matt, how'd you do last night?

Anyone have any tips for me on this lake? I understand I'm still in the "learning" stage, as I'm new to the lake, but it makes it tough to keep the motivation up to learn the rest of the lake. smile.gif

For the most part - Walleyes. My first weekend I was out, I got 2 small ones in 17ft on fatheads. Since then, I've tried the same, deeper, shallower, different bait, different presentations, and can't find a thing.

I've done some casting for Pike. Probably have a tough time until I figure out the weedline, etc.

Tried Bass as well last night - again, don't know the water real well. I gave it a try on the South side of the island. Multiple presentations (except rubber worm - didn't have any with me!), and not even a bump.

Part of me was venting. It was still very enjoyable to be out on the water. The other part was wondering if anyone else has been catching anything out there?

Not too familiar with fishing the lake but theres definately some fish in there, should be able to find some bass without too much looking around...keep moving until you find them, when you do, you should catch one rather quickly this time of year, cover alot of water until you find an area there hangin, there grouping somewhere out there, if you dont catch one, move. Since I dont know the lake well I would just move around the lake along the shoreline looking for decent shallow areas. Good luck.

If you look at page 10 and 11 I think of the "braggin board photos" post you can see the big buckets that are definatly in there. Sounds like bassmastermatt knows these bass well and might give you a tip or 2.

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

I have not fished Waconia this year, but I have fished it extensively in the past.

The best 2 walleye spots in that lake, in my opinion, are as follows:

*The south tip of Pilsbury reef (on the west side of the lake at the mouth of the big bay). Fish the weed edge all the way out to the 25 foot range with a lindy rig and a leach - I have also done well fishing a Northland chartreuse "soft" floating jig head on the end of the lindy leader. If you get in too close, you are going to be in the weeds, but out further on the south tip of the hump at about 14-15 feet the weeds thin out and the 'eyes love that spot.

*On the south tip of Cemetary reef (comes off the south east edge of the island), again right where it drops off to the deep. You will be almost half way across to from the island to the shore when you are on that spot.

Let me know how you do. I think you will hit some fish in those spots.

I too have had some difficulty getting the eyes to cooperate so far this year. My consolation though has been in catching some of the biggest bass I've got in this lake. Several over 20" and numbers in the mid to upper teens. They have been in areas that I have normally caught the eyes previously. The walleyes may be around but it seems like the bass don't give them much time to bite as they are hitting the bait almost as quickly as it gets down. Best luck has been on the inside and outside weed edges.

I appreciate the help! I'll be sure to give those spots a try as well. The 2 little eyes I got were in front of the clay banks. The wife wants to go for her first boat ride in the new boat tonight, so I may have to convince her we need to stop and fish for a while. smile.gif

Any other "names" you can drop would be great. I've talked with other people at In Towne, but the names and bays completely escape me. I don't think I've seen a map labeled with them... And cemetray reef (I know right where that is - see boats there all the time), is there a story behind the cross on the beach?

Here's a couple tips for ya....

Try Red's....

Use minnows... BIG minnows....

And that's all I have to say about that.... grin.gif

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

Well..Well, My stomping grounds. You are all a little to interested...Alright just kidding..I'll cut to the chase..

If you want walleyes good luck...The best way to explain this is to put it like this. The walleyes are stocked, they are not natural and do not act nor live like a natural walleye. They act more like bass than anything. They are in the WEEDS and by the WEEDS. Now I know what your thinking. "well the whole lake is weeds that doesn't help." My answer to that is this. If you fish any of the reefs with a jig and minnow or leech on a lindy you will catch walleyes. Get just outside the WEEDS and when I mean just I mean JUST. You have to be getting hung in them sometimes or your not close enough. Remember 80% of the fish live on 20% of the spot. You have to locate the fish on the reef or weed line. This may take a lot of time but nobody said it was easy. (If it was half of us wouldn't fish)

The other thing you want to remember about Waconia is that the walleyes feed at sunrise sunset. Any other time out there you are just shooting yourself in the foot. Come mid summer do not be afraid to run a 6-10 ft. leader on your rigs with a plain hook. The longer the better for those fish that are not so aggresive. I should probably quite while I'm ahead. I don't want to give up all my hard worked years of fishing in one lesson. LOL I hope this helps.

Lesson 2 TO BE CONTINUED
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!

Oh yeah and those bass you were speaking of. There are some good ones out there...Very tough though...This one is the largest that they have recorded weighed on a certified scale.
47b4db22b3127ccebda419a231aa0000001610

You may have seen it before(it was in all magazines and newspapers.) I gurantee there are more like this out there and bigger just tough to catch. Good Luck

------------------
Fish On!

[This message has been edited by basmastermatt (edited 06-05-2004).]

Matt (and others), I appreciate all the help. I never thought about the eyes being stocked fish vs natural. That gives me something to think about...

I don't know where all the reefs are, but I think I've got a pretty good idea after the last few times out and watching others. I'll be sure to give those a shot.

My wife is the bass fisherman - I'll have to see if I can get her to catch one of those. :P Very very nice fish.

Thanks again! Oh - talked to a guy that was out last night...he said the walleyes were just like sunnys. Couldn't keep them off the line, but the size was small too. At least I know people are getting something - gives me some hope. smile.gif

Me and a couple buddies hit Wacoina this morning, Wow was it foggy!. We used to fish it quite often but havn't been there for a few years.
What hapened to the lake front road by the Wacoina ballroom?!! nothing I like better that backing up a trailer down a road in the fog!!!
We went out looking for some crappie, found them in about 12 foot of water on the edge of the weeds. Had to go thru LOTS of little ones to get a mess of fish but **** we had fun! Ran out of a rather large scoop of minnows and were catching them on ful flu's
even with the minnows they only wanted the flu flu's. also picked up one walleye about 14,15 inch. We assumed there is still a 16 in Min. there. Lots of boats out, bass and Musky guys. and ofcourse the guys that cant get there S**t togeter at the launch.
Got to get back to hitting Wacoina more often.

------------------
Crappie it's not just a fish it's a attitude!

IBOT #23

Hit Waconia Saturday morning for a few hours. Fished muskies for the most part. Had one follow and saw another one in the shallows chasing something. never hooked up. will try again this week.

Okay - not quite as frustrated as before. I still have some hope. :P

I was out Saturday afternoon, and found a few. Not bad considering I was working them at 2:00pm with the sun a-blazin'.

Went out Friday night w/ my 10 yr old step daughter and wife. I think we totalled around 15 or so (all small) We started off just like all the rest of the boats on SW corner of Keg's with no action. We worked our way to the shadow/windblown side and anchored facing the back of the boat to the weedline/drop off. She was doing her variation of snap jigging. After a while people saw the action and we were surrounded by boats. The funny part was the trollers ran circles around our boat with no luck, then followed with casting and imitating her snap jiggin. By the way, her snap jigging is agressively rippng the rod tip 6 feet in the air. Wasn't quite the way I taught her, but she schooled me that night as well as others..... Still on the hunt for the bigger ones.

Matt just went out on the lake (and I may go out with him later)...I'll have him get back to you as soon as he can. smile.gif

<MattsGal><<

I was out Musky fishing last night. Man was it windy. switched to bass for the last 20 minutes or so and got one 18".

------------------
Rip Lips

New to the board... Going out on Waconia in teh morning around 5am. Got a few bass two weeks ago and saw (didn't catch) crappie in teh pencil weeds. Seemed like they were not as thick as they were last year at this time. Will report back Saturday and let you guys know if I get anything. going for bass/crappie early and maybe for a muskie mid morning.

today is my b-day, and the wife is letting me free for a day, so im heading out all day foe eye's, and crappies. Any info on if the higher water has affected things? thanks king

------------------

Waconia was slow today. Muskie and bass tourney. The free lot was full at 5:30am and about 40 trailers were on teh road. Got some crappie and saw some bass, but no muskie or bass for me today. Tried for some walleye early with no hits. Hard rain last night didn't help the clearity of teh water. Most tourney participants come out empty handed too.

The bass bite was tough on Saturday, still took 19.9# to win and 16# to make money, down to about 9th place. Had to fish slow, fish were scattered. All the crappies disappeared from the reads and shallows from the weekend before, the bluegill beds were mostly empty as well.

Bass are biting pretty good if you fish slow. The walleyes are going insane...How many do you want to catch?? Many days with 20 plus fish. Jig and a minnow seemed to be the best.
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!

Hey Matt,
What types of structure are you finding these "insane" walleyes? Are they relating to the edges or up shallow?? Not looking for any specific hot spots you have worked to find, just some general info.

Scale, The walleyes were in 18-22ft of water. When the wind switched out of the west for the first time in a long time they pulled up to the weed lines. Good luck and Good fish'n.
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!

Matt,
Appreciate the info. One of these days I'll see ya on the lake or at the marina and say hi and personally thank you.

Thinking of getting out here after work today for some bass, if the weather holds up. Are the bass cooperating still? THanks for the heads up.
-Catchin' Whopper