• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
FisherMommy

Low traffic shore fishing in north metro?

FisherMommy

My daughter and I are not, by far, pro-fisher-girls, but I'd like to be able to take her fishing without having to fight for water like those spots mentioned here on the board.

We live near Crooked Lake and the dock is always packed. The drunks and druggies aren't a crowd I'd like her to be around either.

We've been to Coon lake and the rocks are always packed with people who don't care where your line is.

Lake George is always full.

The Rum River isn't a bobber kind of body of water to fish in.

And my uncle sold his cabin on Knife Lake, so no more cabin and boat for us.

Soooooooooooo, does anyone know of any spots your willing to tell us about that we could fish in peace and stay out of other people's hair/lines? The less populated spaces would be best for her since she doesn't have the best aim.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!!!!!

Mr Special

FisherMommy,
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, I'm not to familiar with the north metro area. But if you're willing to drive to the Mpls area. Calhoun, Isle, Cedar, Harriet and Nokomis all offer good shore spots and tons of clear shore line.

Good luck

FisherMommy,
If you want, try Silver Lake in North St. Paul. Good fishing there and the docks isn't crowded at all. The lake has all sorts of fish from Bass, pikes, sunnies..

Good luck!

-Web

Shorelunch

Fishermommy,

Glad to hear you take your daughter out fishing. I have never been to Linwood but my neighboor says it it a very good lake. Here is a link to the DNR web site with a lake survey and map. Linwood is just northeast of Coon. www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/results.html

I have never been to Ham Lake but that may be another option (on hwy 65). You could also try Long Lake in New Brighton. I'd also give the bait shop on Hwy 10 in Anoka a call (I forget the name) or Vandos or Trails End on Hwy 65 a call for ideas/information. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'd also suggest to try and go out Monday - Thursdays too - may be a little more quiet.

slick814

Fishermommy -

First, welcome to FM. There are a lot of folks here who can help wit just about anything you may come up with a question for!
To answer your question... The channel on Coon Lake is a good place to go, the East end, farthest East dock is community-owned, and I've fished it quite a bit with my kids. THere's plenty of sunnies and the occasional bass or crappie to keep your daughter interested.
Another lake you may want to try is Golden Lake in Circle Pines. Plenty of good shore fishing there, and again, panfish are easy to get.
Moore Lake in Fridley is decent, and with the playground right there, if the kids get bored, they can always have some fun playing.
A couple others that you might try are Island Lake (just off the 694/Victoria St. exit), and Long Lake in New Brighton.
THe chain of lakes in Minneapolis can be fun, but is kind of a haul from our neck of the woods (I live in Anoka).
Also, you may want to try the Coon Rapids Dam. There are Walleyes, Northern, and the occasional Carp there...

Hope this helps. If you want a great source for shore fishing, try the book, "Fishing the Twin Cities"... It's got lake maps, has shore fishing spots marked, and gives good detail of techniques that work for that body of water. I've seen it in Gander stores, and Sportsman's Guide in Coon Rapids.

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

[This message has been edited by slick814 (edited 06-04-2004).]

Dan Wood

I haven't fished that area from shore since I was a kid, but Mill pond was decent and offered good shore access to spread out.

169 and West River Road I think it is..

Failin'onPhalen

You may want to try Moore Lake down Hwy 65 - lots of shorefishing to avoid the 'unwanteds'.

This may not be appropriate for a youngster, but when I fish Lake George I wade into the water a bit and fish in the bull rushes on the north side of the lake, just east of the boat launch. I wear shoes, converse chuck taylor's are my preference. Fishing can be pretty good there. Note: there is a $5 daily park fee at this park ($25 for a year).

Good Luck!
Phalen

basser

I take my kids up to Twin in Nowthen,plenty of room to shore fish with lots sunnies to keep you busy,this time of year you can get some real bulls. Good spot not to far away. Good luck