• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bald eagle

Has anybody been bass fishing on bald eagle? How did you do and where should I try? thanks for any help

I was out there 2 weeks ago, not bass fishing but I did see alot of bass in the thick weed beds. Alot of them were chasing minnows around and jumping. I was tempted to throw a spinner or a worm right in the weed beds but ended up going for the walleyes all day.

Pig sticka, any luck on the walleye?

I'm thnking of hitting Bald eagle tonight. I've had my butt kicked on this lake, any tips for evening eyes?

Ole

I've taken guys out 2 weeks in a row now and limited out on eyes each time. 1st time they were all about 13"ers and the second time all 15+. Since all my equipment has been ripped off I'm only using a 1/16-1/8 oz. leadhead with a leech. Stay on the weed edges.

Wow, that's pretty good. Hopefully they'll still be going tonight. I was thinking about jigging, is the bottom sandy or is it pretty weedy?

Ole

Ole #1
Bald Eagle is a pretty dirty lake. Your best bet is to fish the lake early in the season because later in the season, the lake tends to darken up.
IT is pretty weedy also.

If you want to fish for eyes, here's a tip.
When you exit the boat launch, go to your right and follow that shore line for about 500 yards or so. Then cross the lake to the other side and then you'll come to some 25ft water. The eyes are on the bottom feeding. If you see the northern boat rental, then you're too far.

[This message has been edited by webwarrior (edited 06-04-2004).]

Thanks webwarrior.

I'll be going out tonight, hopefully I can catch a few.

Jig and a leech sounds like it's producing, thanks again for the help.

Ole

Ole #1
Another thing too that I find helpful is you can use a leech with a river rig and just bounce it along the bottom, that should produce some eyes for you also.

Oh ya I forgot to mention Medium leeches not jumbos and not small ones either. You pick up to many sunnies and bass with the smalls. and jumbos just cost to much;-)

Like a lindy rig?

Thanks again for the help, are you going out tonight? Beautiful weather and a full moon, you cant beat that. Well, unless the fish are biting.

I would also be slip bobber fishing a little closer to dark, would they be in the same area, but shallower?

Thanks again

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole #1 (edited 06-04-2004).]

grizzly,Ole #1
Another spot you can try too is when you exit the boat launch area, you'll see 2 islands, 1 smaller then the other. The smaller on is good for pikes and the bigger one, towards the shore, theres a drop off there, fish the drop off with a minnow or leech on a jig and that should produce some good walleyes.
Its about a 25 feet drop off too so.

Nope I have just been using the jigheads so far haven't had to lindy yet. Wish I could go out tonight but the kid has to get pics for his ball team at 7:15 right when the fishing is prime.

Ole #1
Wish I can go out BUT my boats out of commision. I ran into some choppy water and something snapped when the motor came out of the water. I haven't had the money to fix it or bring it in to the shop. I was told that it could just be a prop pin but who knows. I'll take a look at it later when I go home and see whats wrong with it.
Good luck though and let us know what your results are!!

Oh and if you want BASS action, on the northeast part of the lake, you'll see some standing foliage. Theres usually alot of bass there so just toss a worm or crawler into then and work it out, you should get some great bass. Later at night, the pikes are out there and chasing sunnies so you can throw some weedless spinners to catch the northers. Also, the northern part of the lake about 200 yards from the boat rental place is good for muskies/pikes. Just work the weedline and you should see some results. Its pretty shallow there. Only about 5-10 feet at max so try not to spook the fix by going in fast. If you can, use your trolling motor to enter that area.

Hope that helps!

Ole,

"Re:I would also be slip bobber fishing a little closer to dark, would they be in the same area, but shallower?"

No, towards the night time, you'll see that they actually go to the deeper part which is the part that I referred you to. Its best to use the river / lindy rig or a jig with a leech and almost fish on the bottom because that is where they'll congrigate to.

grizzly the only way i have caught bass on bald eagle is by pitchin the pads and fishing docks. for four years in have been in a club that visited b.eagle in june and that is the best way i have found them.

Ole,

I have heard that they are picking up some waldo's on the south side of the island. Lindy riggin with shiners.

I went out last night from 6-9:30, mainly fished the drop off in front of the island and only caught one perch. I didn't even see a walleye caught. The perch and crappies were active, people were not having trouble catching those, but no walleye.

Ole

Web, sounds like you have the lake figured out, I may have to suck the brain out of your head with a large-caliber vacuum. smile.gif

Ole, I've been trying to catch a walleye, on & off, for the past three open water seasons on the Eagle. I've failed to date, & usually just end up going after bass & northern (both of which are good on the lake). I'm halfway convinced that the walleyes in that lake are just a legend or figment of someone's imagination. Another three or four years & maybe I'll shake the skunk!

They're in there, I've caught them ice fishing and I have caught a couple small ones on the open water, but haven't much luck overall.

Ole