• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am going to be in Eagan at some schooling next week and was wondering if anyone had any hot spots to catch some fish. Just looking do do some catch and release to waste time. Thanks

Eagan is heavily overfished! Sad to say it but true... the DNR cannot keep up. So what they are doing is just letting the lakes do the recovering, hopefully the slow fishing will slow down the activity and allow for a process of healing.

Your best bets are to try out Holland, Trappe Farm, and maybe Heine Pond. Stay away from Fish Lake and BlackHawk. Those lakes have been pretty much decimated. You can also try the wildlife refuge area down by the Minnesota River, mainly GunClub. It be a long walk though. Another spot could be Snelling State Park area.

If you don't mind trying a little farther then go down to Orchard in Lakeville. There's also Marion too. Crystal in Burnsville is way too overfished. You won't find much there...

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 06-02-2004).]

Thanks for the info, if anyone has any fishing reports come next monday that would be apreciated. Thanks

Stay away from Marion. That lake is **** . I was out there this past Sunday. The combination of milfoil so thick you can walk on water and people flying through the no wake areas makes for a frusterating day.

Ummn.. no.. there is still some decent shore fishing in Eagan, you just need to look.

A lot of the smaller ponds hold a lot of fish and aren't very popular during the summer because they weed up too heavy with milfoil to really fish and/or are deep within residential areas and are harder to find. Lakes like Fish, Holland and Blackhawk which are viseable from main roads get more pressure. There are plenty of smaller ponds that are tucked in along smaller streets that do have park acess but are just less known about. I got a 4lb bass, some 10" crappies and 9" bluegills all out of the same said Eagan pond, altough I'm not telling which one-- but it's still not very heavily fished wink.gif.

But yes, C&R is encouraged on these. I'll sometimes keep 4 or 5 sunnies to make a dinner for myself on occasion, but thats it.

Crawlerman
If you could drop me an e-mail and help me out that would be great. I live down in south west mn so I don't really know where anything is up there. I am going to be staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites on 55 if you know of anything close to there. THanks

Comfort Inn and Suites 55 and Lone Oak. That's about 4 blocks from where I work.

Sorry.................

I take it by your sorry that the isn't much by that?

No, I was just talking outloud to myself.

I am not sure about where to point you in Eagan. I have not fished anywhere there. Looks like Crawlerman is your best resource at this point.

There are a few decent smaller lakes or ponds in Eagan with very good bass fishing. There is one particular that has a small number of eyes, yes their there. The eyes were in the 13-16 inch range. I estimate the population to be in 300-600 due to the size of the lake. Caught like 12-14 of them, all released back to water.

But to keep pressure off I won't be releasing any info either, Im sorry to say.

I will say your best presentation will be a Berkley Powerworm, on a bare hook, no sinker, no bobber, no jig head. If the weed is thick you need to get into it lightly. The bass will be shallow. A big 3" Berkley power white grub does well also. For Crappies... crappie jigs n minnows. The Sunnies may be very pesky though.

Fisherman Andy-

I might know the lake you are talking about. Is there an email adress i can email you at? If you dont want to talk about it thats ok too. But i'm fairly sure i know what you're talking about.

Anyone else have any ideas for me to go catch some Bass?

Give Gunclub a try for some HUGE BASS! The 494 bridge. A very long walk though. Spinnerbaits are your best friend. Believe it or not I have caught bass in the 18+inch range. Easily 8-10lbs! No lie... I released a 7.8 pounder a couple years back. It still had a garter snake being digested in it's mouth when it hit my powerworm. That's a HUGE fish! I believe there are bass in the 10lb + range in this lake.

This area was prime Northern Pike a few years back, now it receives too much pressure, mostly for the Northerns, panfish and monster carp.

I fished gun club this spring and caught alot of nice northerns. How do you fish it know isn't there to much weeds.

Where is this at? I can't find a map that shows it to me?

Heh fisherman andy maybe we can trade fishing spots. I won't tell anyone where it is and let them all go. I know a spot around eagan where you can catch 20 bass in a couple hours up to 5 pounds. I will give you my e mail if you are interested.

What side of the lake do you fish on I fish on the left side if your crossing the bridge from eagan. Are there fish on the other side too. if there are how do you gat there.

Heading out tonight. Anyone have a spot for me to go to. THanks

"Believe it or not I have caught bass in the 18+inch range. Easily 8-10lbs! "

If you caught one 8-10lbs wouldn't that be the state record??? (Current record 8-13)

If it were me with that fish, I would have been running right to the DNR.

Having a hard time with this one.

Sorry no offense.

Hey Beef... not everyone thinks like you do. It may be hard for you to assume so, but there are so many big bass in MN, you just have to take the time and look.

If fish mainly for fun, not the sport. I could care less about taking a fish in to be weighed.

I believe MN holds many big bass larger than the state record, just from my experience. 8lbs.. is not a big bass when you have caught bass in the 10lb + range. Imaging being able to fit both your hand fist into the bass's mouth... that's one large fish!

You can believe what you believe, but I have never been one to tell a fishing lie...
I don't have a reason too, and I don't need to prove anything... I am mainly telling you that there are bigger bass and they have been caught.

Have fun fishing...

Oh yeah... if your going to fish GunClub like I said late spring with a bass spinnerbait, or wait till the hot summer days, no overcast, just clear blue. Go down there with a weightless Berkley Powerworm on a hook and work your way through the weeds.

There are some killer size crappies too in that lake, I won't say where. 9-12 inches or bigger. Watch out for MONSTER CARP!

Why do I know these things? I have been fishing GunClub for over 15yrs.

Longline....
I havn't fished Gunclub for over twenty years now. She used to have GREAT pike fishin back then, this was pre-494 bridge existence. I'm not totally sure where you park these days, we used to park at hwy13 and walk on down. I think you should try finding the many ponds that dot the Eagan area and give them a go instead. Might be less of a hassle than Gunclub. Good Luck!

Duffman,

I am not sure what you meant or if you were calling me a liar. But what you should know is the lake has changed alot over the last 20yrs, if you haven't been fishing it then you have no right to make any claims to the lake.

Recently a few years back there was a toxic spill in the area and alot of big fish died, sad but true. The area was closed down but re-opened when it was cleaned up.

The River has also overflowed into it occasionally and there is a mixed species of fish. I have caught White Bass, Walleyes, Channel cat out of there but it's rare. The more abundant amount would be Pike, Bass and panfish.

Believe me Gunclub still holds decent size big bass easily over 6lbs. Lotsa smaller ones now too.

Due to the fishing pressure over the years, catching larger Pike is rare now in that lake. There use to be a time when you can go out on a nice day and be able to catch lotsa northerns in the 6 to 15lb range, and yes there were bigger ones still. But I think there pretty much all gone now except a few. Mostly small pike now & Monster CARP!

Look, you believe what you want to believe and hear what you want...

Longline, whether you catch fish or not is totally up to ones knowledge and ability. Age has nothing to do with fishing. It's all about skills and a little luck. Don't blame it on me if you go there and get skunked. The bass are there... how you catch them... well that depends on you and your knowledge of the area.

This will be my last post to this thread, i've already given out enough secrets already and seems to me that some of them weren't appreciated. Happy fishing...

P.S. I just happen know the Eagan, Bloomington, Burnsville, Lakeville areas very well... VERY VERY WELL!

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 06-09-2004).]

I see people parked down there all the time. That looks like a very long walk.

Has anyone tried to get a canoe down there.

Fisherman-Andy.....
"Believe me Gunclub still holds decent size big bass easily over 6lbs"

A very valid statement, I totally agree with it.

"Believe it or not I have caught bass in the 18+inch range. Easily 8-10lbs!"

18"-20" bass are common in the metro, 21"-22" less so. A 22" bass will fall somewhere between 6 and 7 pounds depending on time of the year, forage, genetics, etc.... An 8-10lb bass will probably be over 23".
I just think you are overestimating the size of the bass you have caught, just my opinion. I see it all the time, someones supposed 5lb bass is probably actually closer to 3 1/2 lbs. If you beleive you caught bass 8-10lbs, who am I to say you didn't.

"I just happen know the Eagan, Bloomington, Burnsville, Lakeville areas very well..."

Ditto, my boy, ditto

I lied... I am posting again. It's a fun debate we are having here, no one should take it too seriously.

I believe science is a factor but not always true. Notice I did say 18+..plus! And yes I do carry a weigh scale but not a measuring tape with me. So the exact size I don't actually know. But I don't think my weigh scale is broken and would lie to me. Whether you believe or not is totally up to you... but it's always been me who has gotten the last laugh.

Yes big bass are common.. didn't I already say that? A very avid fisherman would know that already, Im pretty sure you agree. But what about 20-22's? I believe they are also common... when you spend about 20-40 hours a week fishing.. yes I said 20-40 hours of week then you can lay such claims.

I don't doubt that Gunclub holds a 4lb, 6lbs, 8lbs bass. I don't even doubt a 10lb being pulled out of there...

But don't expect to go down there and be able to catch one... I have spend hundreds of hours on this lake through out the years.

Duffman you will find the lake probably not to your liking as it used to be... I might not be as old as you are, but ever since I made my first cast onto this like back in 1988, i've gotten to know the lake pretty well...

Happy fishing to all.. & good luck!

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 06-09-2004).]

"Duffman you will find the lake probably not to your liking as it used to be..."

You can say that about any lake in Eagan, or the metro in fact. Too many people, too much pressure. Oh well, doesn't stop me from getting out and wetting a line. The population of Eagan was 7,000 when I first started fishing there, now it sits at 64,000+. frown.gif

Sorry, but when I hear of people catching bass over 8lbs, well, something smells fishy. LOL

Good luck Fisherman Andy, go get yourself a big one. In the future, you just might want to keep your secrets to yourself and not post them on these forums, or else those big ones will be fewer and fewer. Not everybody reading this stuff is as ethical as you and I.
Tight lines buddy!

I was just down at gunclub and it was to weedy to fish. I saw a couple northerns in the little lake in between the to main parts.

Duffman,

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to hear a story about catching a big one...just because it's not common.

Maybe it's because they have never caught one in their life and is still waiting for the opportunity. If your persistant enough you will catch one.

First time I stepped my foot on Eagan soil in 1987 the population was about 15-18K. Sure you know the area well, but I know it just as well as you do if not better.

H'bout a heartbreaker.. did you know Thomas Lake held a large amount of Crappies in the 10-14inch range? Don't worry it's no longer a secret since most of the fish has now long died out due to the winter kills.
I would'nt be telling you if they were still there...

Like I said, anyone reading these post don't expect to go out and catch these fish and get lucky. It comes with hours and hours of fishing and experience. I am pretty sure Duffman agree with me.

There are still many more secrets in the Eagan and surrounding areas. How familar are you with Black Dog Lake? You'd be suprised... what i've pulled out of there.

I guess we fisherman all have our own experiences, point is it's all good as long as were enjoying the fishing priveledge given to us.

Duffman if you do ever try Gunclub again, here's a tip... low water levels = big crappies. How to catch them is another story... Good luck to you Duffman.

P.S. Longline good fishing to you also.

Fish Lake is a little weedy but has some nice bass