• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• rob d

• alumacraft_guy

• hanronson

Have fished Green off and on for a few years. It seems to me the pike population keeps the size of the crappies in that range. The crappies I've found have been that size since I started fishing the lake in the early 90's. If you fish it in the summer by the weed flats and weed lines you can watch the northerns and bass going after those smaller crappies and other bait fish and sunnies as teh sun goes down. Reason they might not show up while fishing for them could be because the majority are getting eaten or they are schooled tighly and more worried about getting eaten than eating themselves. The fishing pressure is getting a bit more intense but still there is alot of guys releasing more and more fish. Might be a good lake for a 5 fish limit though because as more and more people fish it the more the harvest will effect the resource. For me have noticed this is a lake where you need to move around to get any numbers of crappies. The crappies don't seem to school as tight as much as in other lakes in the area. Watch how some of the old timers who live on the lake fish for those crappies. They tend to troll small jigs real slow all over the lake looking for bighters. They do it because it covers ground and works. Most guys you can almost know what they are going to say before you talk to them at the access. The bobber guys are wondering where the fish are and the guys not using them seem to find more fish. Is not a boober lake for panfish IMO. Some lakes are Green doesn't seem to be one on the whole. Some times if the bite is really off ultra small floats and plain hooks with small split shots around the deeper quieter docks can produce some fish but only when its real quiet on the lake which is not very often.

Don't mind the crappie size at all. Is a nice lake in early fall to fish with a 16th ounce jig and minnow. Have had many good multi species days with 20" bass, walleyes up in the mid 20" range, good solid northerns and enough 10"-12" crappies for a meal. Most of the fish are in or around the 18' and shallower mark and anywhere in-between.

I am new to Ice fishing and Green lake is close to my house...can someone please give me some "tips" on when (day or night) and where (depth) to catch some crappies

thank you

go out there and you will see the cities......24+ ft of water if I had a choice it would be early morning before people start coming on the lake or try right around sunset but the bite has been tough as of late....nice crappies if they bite good luck

stay home all day...get setup before sunset...things normally heat up 5:30 until about 8:30 for us.

Stay away from the mini-cities!!!

Good luck

I have to say advice given for Green lake as Ozzie and LindyRigger have stated is right up there,but in addtion sometimes you have to find alternative baits for the crapps the minnows haven't been very hot for my luck lately. Waxies and some others choices have been much more aluring get creative it can pay off and has recently if your just a little patient. lately especially the fish really aren't doing anything in 24+fow in the afternoons,but for me thats been more common on Green than not for aleast the last 4 years.

Fished Green lake the past few days, picked up 4-5 crappies each night. Anyone ever catch any crappies during the day or late afternoon? All of the fish I have caught have been during that 5:30pm-7:30 slot.

Also, does the bite ever pick up on Green, or is it always pretty slow? Last night I had crappies on the Marcum come up to my bait, but then nothing. Seems like the less I touched the lines the better. Again, managed to pick up 4, but it was slow.

It is pretty rare that you run into a hot bite out there especially now with all of the people out there. Stay away from the crowds and you will find more active fish. I have had good success in the early morning until about nine and then again early afternoon.

Dan

I have done well in the mornings like stated before 9......and try everything in your tacklebox...new bait everytime out seems to produce.......

We have had pretty good luck out there...if your electronics are showing fish...most likely it's perch before the crappies move in.

If you see anything suspended lift your bait and you will find these crappies are the aggressive ones.

They will come in waves...a flurry for 10 minutes then 20 minutes later another wave.

As I mentioned before...no need to fish in those mini-cities.

Good Luck <((((><

Hi. Has anyone had any luck this week? I was out last Saturday early morning with the kid and got 7, then went out that night and got another 3 but it was very slow.Might try saturday morning again but would like to see if anyones had any luck during the week?

Thanks

I was out Sunday kept marking fish,but it was -2 with abit of a wind in a cold front so like I thought it was a negative bite to say the least. I managed 4 fish 3 of which were nice,but I really had to work them over to pick off some.They would rise up to your bait after lots of jigging then sit there and eventually move back towards the bottom 9 out 10 times. It was tough to know what to do jig it real light when they were near or let be neither way was very effective. I know the last couple days have been very slow as well from reports I've got. I'm just hoping with this warmer weather they become abit more interested and not so (lathargic) not sure about the spelling.

I'm gonna try the lake tomorrow for the first time this year and it will be nice and toasty from what I hear on the weather reports. Anyone notice an increase in activity during the warmup last week?

Any tips on the where and what for 'eyes?

Thanks,

Jeremiah