• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• rob d

• alumacraft_guy

• hanronson

I heard it just locked up over last weekend. I was told to travel light and with a chisel. Be safe

hopefully if it locked up over the weekend then it should have made a few inches this week.....let's hope I will bring a chisel and wear a life jacket checking now though....thanks for the heads up Shack

I drove by the landing at about 7:30 pm last night. It looked like a few people walked out to the point, ther was about 6 cars parked at the landing

was out there today and fishing was slow but managed to get a limit of nice crappies and 34 inch slimer. crappies were 10 - 11 inches a lot of people out there walking and some wheelers.

I was also out on Sat. eve and did decent but you had to work to get them...those 10-11 inchers are the same size I was catching all summer in good numbers.....must have been a good year class!!

I was out Monday night also and did fair. I found 7.5" of ice wherever I drilled. Has anyone been out to the hump yet? I had an ATV and didn't want to chance it that far out yet. I did not see anyone anywhere near the hump.

no I was in the normal areas around the point....darn that is a long walk for an out of shape dude!!!! Alot easier to get there in the boat!!

Are you guys fishing the point on the NW corner of the lake? Never fished Green but have always wanted to try it. Sounds like the fishing is pretty good right now.

Thanks!

Ryan

if you go there you can just go to the crowds and they are mainly all at the point go west from the landing and you can't miss the crowds......remember to practice catch and release as these crappies are only going to get bigger if you let them go.......it is a good year class that is biting right now and they have been all summer and I hope they are still there next summer.....Good Luck if you do go!!

Ozzie,

Thanks for all the info. Just curious if there is a decent bite after dark on this lake? I was considering making a trip out there this evening but wouldn't be able to start fishing until 5. And, I also agree 100% with your idea of practicing catch and release. It would be great to see some of the lakes in the metro area have sustained quality fishing. The first step for this to happen is for anglers to practice catch and release on the bigger fish (especially on smaller lakes).

BJP

Its pretty steady after dark, electronics really help on the lake since you are fishing in 25 feet plus of water.

Dan

the past few years there has been a bite at nite at times but then again through the summer and the one trip on ice this year the fish stopped biting at dark...at least for me they have been.....I am just hoping that this can become a lake that has a good size structure of crappies as it is a big fertile lake with a good population of crappies but fi you go out on the ice and do some math my guess is the majority of the crappies are going home with the fisherman which to each there own but just don't do it day after day!!!

Green right now is at the bottom of my list for this season.

I heard today it opened back up (open water) in the middle again crazy Be safe.

I have fished this lake over the years and have found crappies in it. Nothing over the huge mark, but a couple good sized. I would say 10" is a large/good sized crappie for this this lake right now.

I have a couple buddies (very good fisherman) who have been fishing it pretty good since it became walk able, with almost nothing to show for. The crappies are not in their normal pattern this early ice I was told. It could be from coming off a strange open water year for fish patterns. Needless to say, my buddies are trying different waters now.

From personal experiences, if you do find fish and do not like a crowd, keep those fish low or set the porty up. There are people who sit in their cabins/houses with spotting scopes, watching and they will come out and fish right next to you, then more will follow. I have found during open water, people are watching also. I personally do not mind people coming to fish with me or next to me. I will even drill them holes. I find it fun, but some might not.

If you are looking for a couple of table fair crappies (not a limit) that you will work your but off for, Green can be your lake. If you are looking to catch some 11-14” slabs, Green is not your lake.

I have found it a good lake to take the kids out and show them the real meaning of fishing. A whole day of fishing and a couple of these to show for it grin.

3Yau-3bvs6Rt27zFnadgWKo8Ej1VwqRo0300.jpg

This is a big crappie for Green right now. It was caught and released, as all my fish are. hey, it is the only way you will get big fish grin

It is a close lake for me to take the kids, but not a lake on the radar for targeting monster slabs or anything close to a limit. You have to go much further north and east to find lakes that will do that wink OR!! stay in the Metro area as I have heard this ice season winkwink

I have fished it at night with some success. You need a flasher and light tackle. They seem to like minnows and small jigs. It is close for me and when the in-laws come over and my bro in-law and I want to head out for a quick couple hours after (rather than sit and chat at home with the wives grin) we would head out their. Like I said, you will get a couple (after finding where they are) to have some fishing action, but nothing that will make you say "WoW".

It does see allot of pressure, for why, I do not know. I think many who are out on the lake are just like me. They just use it as an excuse to get out or take the kids fishing grin.

Good luck!

just got word from someone yesterday that action was o'plenty on Wed. night. near the point, but not in the crowds. 10's and 11's like they said. Don't know on the ice, so may or maynot go. I know there is enough to walk, but that spot means ALOT of walking. ugg!

I was out there yesterday in the rain and snow storm. We set up in 21 fow between the to main groups of houses around the point and we had only 7 inches of ice!!! I used a 12" ruler to measure so I'm pretty sure what we had. The ice is very clear and solid. We got three of your average Green lake Crappies and then they shut off. The fish were there but holding close to bottom. Lookers!! This was early in the day. We did not stay until dark because we had to go watch the Vi-queens beat the Cardinals. I don't know what possessed us to go out there yesterday. There were a few cars on the ice. Hmmmm. I don't think I would be doing that.