• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Of The Isle Etc.

Anyone familiar with Lake Of The Isles, Calhoun and Cedar Lake?
I was wondering what types of fish are in those lakes and if power boats are allowed?
If so, where are the boat launches?

Thanks for your help!!

-Web

There are no gas motors allowed on those lake, only electric. But all of those lake produce good fishing. Many would say Calhoun is the best out of all of them. But with Isle and especially Cedar you will find less trafic if any. The only launch is at Calhoun, and you would need some super deep cycles to reach Cedar and back. All the lakes will offer you bass, walleye, northerns, muskies, sunnies, crappies, perch, carp and suckers. Try to get a hold of FisherDave those are his old stomping grounds. Don't forget Harriet is just down the road.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Mr Special (edited 06-01-2004).]

If you are looking to get out on those lakes (Calhoun, Isles, Cedar, Harriet & Nokomis) it is electic motors only! The only launch for the Calhoun/Isles/Cedar chain is on Lake Calhoun. If you launch with a gas motor make sure it's up or you may be in for a BIG ticket! They used to require special permits on the lakes, but I don't think they do any more.

As for fish, you name it - they have it. They are all great lakes for walleye, bass, musky, crappie & sunnies. Some of the fish may run small but some are huge! If you have a boat I would stick to Calhoun. Isles is mainly a shallow lake and Cedar is a good 30 minute troll with the t.motor and isn't anything special over Calhoun or Isles. Stick to the milfoil weedlines and you'll be in luck.

Not totally sure about motors on all of them, I know calhoun is electric only, I suspect the same holds true for isles and cedar... As far as fish go, go to google type in "mn dnr lakefinder" and hit the "i'm feeling lucky button" that will bring you to Minnesota dnr's lakefinder, and you can search up all sorts of lake info (types of fish, lake maps, stocking reports), for free.

Hey thanks for the advice guys! I greatly appreciate it~~~!!.

Um, I did notice a canoe rental place. I wonder how it'd be to canoe and try to fish for pikes/muskies?

EXPENSIVE!!! Canoe rentals are really expensive there! If you want to check it out go ahead but I remember going down there once to check it out and it was $$$/hr. Plus if you are fishing for musky/pike in a canoe, be ready to be dragged around the lake - LOL.

Just giving you a heads up.

All lakes in MSP is electric only. Though I've seen on Calhoun some of those sailboat owners use a gas motor to get them to their sailboat. I wondered if the electric only rule apply only to non-sailbaot owners or what but never got around to asking the local police/sheriff.

The *Yaught Clubs* on all the city lakes have permits for gas engines on the lake. The boats are used mostly to help people get their boats(big BS).. but occasionaly there are races and I could see the justification of a motor boat for safety reasons.

The city lakes are electric motor only as stated earlier. There is no special permit needed for your boat. Calhoun is a pain due to the parking.. but the fishing that Calhoun and Isles can provide is well worth the hassle and the expense in investing in an extra battery or trolling motor. The launch is decent so its not hard to get most boats in/out.

I wouldnt know where to tell a person to start on fishing these lakes.. they are good lakes that are full of fish. Some of the best fishing opportunities in the state if you do you homework. Walleye, Musky, Northerns, and Bass are all worth chasing in these lakes.

A canoe could be helpful, but in no means as efficient as a boat with electronics. Isles is an easier lake to fish.. more or less fish the outside of the weeds. Calhoun is full of structure and lots of deep water... it would be similar to looking for that needle in a haystack without electronics. In all reality, the shore fishing would likely be better on the average. Calhoun especially can be a great place to throw spinnerbaits in the daylight and rapala's toward dark and into the night.

If you have a boat now, I would save the canoe rental money and invest in a decent trolling motor, and a couple batteries. One battery is usually enough to fish most the day, and the second will always get you back to the landing no matter where your at(even cedar or brownie). If you plan on fishing Cedar I would try to carry 3 batteries.

The battery reference here is referring to Quality Marine batteries with no less than 100 amp hours. If you skimp and use lesser batteries.. bring a good paddle.

The sailboaters use the boats provided by the city at the two marinas. It took me awhile to figure that one out. Anyone know when they plan on finishing the construction on Isles? It's getting hard to shore fish on the lake especially with all the rain getting it muddy.

unfortunately I don't have a boat now. My 30hp motor's main shaft to the propeller snapped due to choppy waters 2 years ago and I haven't had money to replace it since so I've just been shore fishing =/

Thanks for all the tips though!! I greatly appreciate it!