• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7th Annual Burntside Bash w/map

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Great Outdoors

• ripstick

• Northlander

Details:

I'll bring garbage bags but we could use a garbage can. That would be a good item for a local to bring. Anyone have access to a dumpster for the trash?

We'll meet at dawn at HQ. That will be around 7:30 then head out. I'd imagine there will be members fishing around HQ or close by along the South shore. Bring your radios, we'll be on channel 7. Lets meet back up at 3 PM for grilling and a wrap up.

I will be bringing two garbage cans on a small trailor.

Good luck to all the Basher's, I'm stuck working the "Daddy Doctor" detail this weekend as both the Mrs and junior are down with the crud. Jr is on the backside but Mrs X is waist deep and going downhill. 48 hours of rest, lots of fluids and TLC is needed.

Hope to see some pic's and a few stories next week!!

Good luck to all the Bashers! I have to be down here in the 60 degree temps where the only ice we have is in our whiskey glasses! mad

Day one (Friday) was a lot of fun. A few of us covered some new water and caught fish. LisaTealz did the best, with a 4, a 5 and a 9, all out of the same hole and on the same lure.

Looks like there might be about 50 people out there today. Lots of smiling familiar faces and some new ones. We'll see if anybody does better than a 9. gringrin

Today the weather was nice but a little windy. But come the afternoon i had to take off my jacket when the sun poked out!

I had a slow day fishing. Right off the bat a real aggresive strike i should had clinched, but y'know... other than that a few lookers and one chaser.

my neighbors all got something. One got a 3pdr off a cisco on a tip up in about 40 fow. I was in about 60 fow. Another neighbor in 60 fow caught a 19 incher and lost one at the hole. A few others i talked to lost 'em at the hole. Bummer. A lot of people i talked to caught one or two.. I'm sure someone wahittin them and i just didn't hear about it..

Just got back from grilling and having a cold one with the gang. it was my first time gettin to know some people and it was fun. My little dude (6yr) went for his first snowmobile ride today (Thanks Wanderer!)

MAybe i'll poke my head into the wabbit tonight and see whats shakin.....

Glad to hear people were seeing them and catching them. My photo gig ran long this afternoon and I wasn't able to get back to have fun with everyone like I wanted, but stuff happens! gringrin

Man, 37 degrees right now and 20-25 mph winds. Nothing like a 65-degree swing from Friday morning to Saturday evening. smilesmile

A great first bash for me! It was great to meet alot of new faces and also to ice my first laker. The weather was great especially later in the day and hopefully the burntside fish will be active again tommorow

Thanks to everyone that helped put the bash together!

Today was a beautiful day to be fishing. Made the bash that much more fun. Glad to meet alot of you and put faces to you. Quiet a few people landed some nice lakers and my dad missed one at the hole.

All in all it turned out great and some really good food. Thanks to all who brought some food for everyone to enjoy. Now im ready for next year! Now to start counting the days.

A big thanks to Surface Tension, Northlander and tcbrookston for organizing (and tc for bringing up the mobile HQ yet again), and personally to Jim and Lisa for providing their usual great lunch to the on-ice companions. Not to mention a tow out on the ice and back for a guy whose sled wouldn't start at -25!

While I couldn't spend much time there Saturday, it was nice to see old and new friends, and another thanks to tc for letting me borrow his sled Friday morning to show folks good locations and zip around and check stuff out. Comparing my 1980 Yamaha Exciter to his nearly brand-new two-up Polaris is like comparing the ride of unicycle to a Cadillac. Felt like I was tooling around the lake on an easy chair. gringrin

Hey Tracy and Matt: Slush? There's no slush on Burntside! gringrin

Fishgutz: C'mon, where's the Sunday report? Most everyone else just forgot about fishing today when we woke up to snow and 35 mph wind gusts. smilesmile

Steve, she was a blown'in and snow'in today.

I lost one big fish at the hole today over where Frank was fishing at about 11:30 this fish was maybe 26 or 27 "s long had a couple other hard chasers but no takers.

that's the problem with the big jiggin raps the get hooked up on the ice and the fish tear free. it was a great fight though.

Saturday only ice 2 lakers one 21"er and one tiny 6"er

Dave got smacked three times on the big airplane jig but never hooked up and drew a big notta for the trip.

I was really nice to see everyone again and the new faces too.

Jim and lisa, Barb, Hookset, Frank and Mark and all the others I will try to remember. We will be back up for the closer of the season. tomorrow I'll throw up a couple of pix of fish.

No matter the fishihg it's a bash!

that's the problem with the big jiggin raps the get hooked up on the ice and the fish tear free.

That's why the first thing I do with Jigging Raps or similar swim baits is clip off the fore and aft hooks. Been doing it for several years and still catch as many fish as before. I also upsize the remaining treble one or two sizes, not because it needs to be bigger per se, but because they get longer, and I like that middle treble hanging a little farther down than the short shank hooks Rapala puts on them. Another way to get the same effect is to add a split ring to the existing treble.

Glad to see you got action. Tough to lose any fish at the hole, let alone a chunky lake trout. Looks like even those people who didn't ice any fish this weekend at least mostly saw some good chasers. smilesmile

I have a couple that I've rigged like that. this was a puppet minnow that I just bought. Lesson is, don't send it down the hole to do battle unless it's rigged.

Still trying to break the 10# barrier on the ice.

Fishgutz: C'mon, where's the Sunday report? Most everyone else just forgot about fishing today when we woke up to snow and 35 mph wind gusts. smilesmile

Slush? The extra 150' of rope and extra dose of caution were not needed this weekend, thankfully! No slush that wasn't an easy ride through. No chipping out the tunnel again!!!

If we were locals, we wouldn't have gone out today either. Even with our houses loaded to the gills we had be seated and brace ourselves for some of those wind gusts this morning.

I marked two lakers today but they wouldn't even chase. Matt can report his findings.

Far-I. Missing a trash can lid? We found one on Van Vac road after you left. We didn't know who brought them so we didn't know where to take it. If you need it, we still have it but it will be awhile before I can bring it back.

Your son is a good snowmobiler. Did he tell you he got to drive? He did a great job. Too bad his hands got tired. I was hoping he could make it all the way back.

Congrats to Bucketmouth64 (Tony) for hooking his first laker this trip!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thanks all that showed up for the Bash. As usual it was great to see you again and then to put more faces to names. Saturday's weather couldn't have been more perfect and when you compare that to being bookended by days of frigid temps and high winds. Another thanks to those that helped out. Gary and TC for cooking, Jim Maki for plowing out a parking area. Far for bringing the cans and Tom the grill was perfect. I know I'm missing some there. Then there was the food and plenty of it.

Congrats to Bucketmouth64 (Tony) for hooking his first laker this trip!

Thanks Wanderer. I would have rather iced one than hooked one. It was fun while it lasted and someday I'll land one . I want to again say thanks to you and Matt for taking Darrin and I out on your sleds and checking up on us. I had lots of fun at the bash being a first timer and meeting fellow fm'ers. Hope to make it to other events.

Wanderer-

Little Dude had a blasty on the sled. Pressures on me to get one now smile may be good leverage against the mrs. smile He was trhrilled at driving and that night he had a dream he was rippin across a lake at 70mph with santa claus (no joke!)

That is my lid. I noticed it was gone when i got home and thought i'd go back in the morning. After all the wind i wasn't surprised when i couldn't find it. Glad you did! I also lost a trash bag (that only had an item or two in it) but still i hope someone nabbed that! Oh well...

We had a great time and i'm looking forward to making it next year as well. Great to meet y'all and thanks for the hospitlity and apple pie.

Yea tracy and matt thanks for the rides out. very appriciate it. I now think I got my dad hooked on lakers and know he wants to be back up here to catch another one. I know that fish will haunt him until he catches one.

Great times guys. (As usual)

I would like to toss out a BIG thanks to Jim at Great Outdoors! He plowed and plowed and plowed and plowed until we finally had a awesome parking area at HQ. Plus he dontaed some prizes. HATS OFF TO YOU JIM!! See ya next year. I forgot to pick up some flyers though. DUH! frown

Also thanks to TC and Ripstick for cooking and Cheffrey for bringing the table, grill and Ripsticks favorite "MUSHROOMS". laugh

Lisa I have that same chubby darter and never used it the whole weekend. If I would have known it was the hot lure I would have fished it.

Hey Cheffrey you need to charge your battery on your Marcum. It was smelling weird. whistle

See ya all next year and a big hats off to those who helped others get out on some fish. I hope everyone had fun like I did. I can remember it all this year. wink

BIG THANKS to everyone involved! Had a great time and will be back next year. It's always fun meeting people from Fishing Minnesota forums. Great bunch.

Little Dude had a blasty on the sled. Pressures on me to get one now smile may be good leverage against the mrs. smile He was trhrilled at driving and that night he had a dream he was rippin across a lake at 70mph with santa claus (no joke!)

LOL. laugh

Send your email address to tsac4 @ hotmail. com. I'll let you know when I can bring your lid back.

Wanderer-

We had a great time and i'm looking forward to making it next year as well. Great to meet y'all and thanks for the hospitlity and apple pie.

It was great meeting you and sorry about the remark about carding you when you had the apple pie, but you really don't look very old.

It was great meeting you too. DOn't worry about asking for my ID it was funny. That stuff was really good whatever it was. I'm glad i am no longer a pie virgin. anyways wish i coulda stayed and chatted longer too but had to get my boy home.

Things were definatly firmed up a bit this weekend as compared to a couple of weekends ago. I did manage to hit a couple of spots that were still a little "squishy" but nothing a little gas and go couldn't get you threw. whistle Do a little "bushwhacking" and you will know what I mean. wink

I had a great time at the 'Bash. It was nice putting faces to the names on the boards. This was my first "FM Get together" and I must say it is kind of odd to pull up to your rig to grab some straps and have someone introduce themselves by thier handle and not by name. "Hey you here for the Bash? I'm fishgutz, who are you?" I think that set the tone, I couln't help but smile.

Couldn't ask for a better day. Good weather, good people, good food, just a great time. I guess I could have asked for another bite of that apple pie, but somethings are best in moderation.

I did manage to bust the seat in my fish house mad but that is another story.

I had a great time also, too bad the trout didnt want cooperate but oh well. it was cool talking to you guys and meeting some more FMers. Northlander, that marcum cover is really nice.