• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New home made gear

Muthagoose

Finally got to useing some of the new heads.

The wife caught me midst the flying foam.

gundog_002.jpg

Just the start,carved 18 more this weekend.

Ofcourse the quality control GunDog's Bitsy is overseeing the production.

gundog_007BitsySupervisingQualityControl

Already have 30+ wigeon and 24 goldenyes roughed in. Going to do 30 full body wooducks next. All that I had are sold/gone and thats a good thing.Looking forward to getting them flocked and painted.. Ordering myself a new 1.5hp 1000+cfm in either a JDS or Delta dust collector so if anyones has one let me know whatcha think of them. Any suggestions appreciated.The shop vac aint cutting it no longer. Looking to do 175+ by summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muthagoose

• Gordie

• TylerS

• leech~~

Top Posters In This Topic

My latest,The lines are from a thin coat of primer NOT covering the spot putty and a couple runs but since sanded them and got the mold release on em for tomorrow to be molded.Figure'n to cast 30+ cans and another 3-4dz mallards.....

Bull Can With a little addition of apoxie sculpt it can be altered into a hen but I have a hen in the works already

IMG_0104-1.jpg

Fat head mallard rester so it will be cut off just bellow the head and set down on the chest...

IMG_0105-3.jpg

together,,

IMG_0106-1.jpg

Next are Bills and Redheads and maybe a super mag hen buffy

Thanks for the Kind words..

I just got my new dust collector.I toasted a shop vac again,had to upgrade..

Ill be posting pics of the new cans and super mag Buffs soon.. Been busy with mounting birds,pouring heads and teaching at school. SOOO need to get into the foam again,once I'm set up sundays are for carving.....

Ive been getting a ton of emails asking me to repaint decoys..Well like I tell people with bear rugs you can save money and do it yourself..

OK that said for those guys with plastic decoys like ghg,carrylite,g&h...

If you want the paint to really stick you have to do as good if not better than the factory..

Heres what ya do. You need to prep the surface...I use 70 grit at about 75 psi in my blast booth you guys see in the back ground of my pictures.

Then either blow then clean and or use a cleaner like xylol ect and flash the plastic...This you can check with the auto parts store when you buy the next supplies for the next step....

Then apply a adheasion promotor you can get it from any auto parts store. Do this before you paint and you will have MUCH better results.They will know what or if the product your buy needs a cleaner used first and what to recomend.

OK now if some of you do this I will contiune with a few air brush tips that I use.. Not that I am any expert by no means just a guy who has tried a few things and they worked.

There is a set up or rental cost to this BUT once your set up there is a market out there for repairs and repaints that I dont care to do...Good luck all

Going big and few this fall...Averaging 21" Cardbord wingtip and tails templet's for now, going carved nylon or pvc....

IMG_0113-1.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Thanks for the kind words...

Crawler,all are works in progress till they get burlapped. Somedays I go into the shop and adjust all day.. Its why I bring some to work and post here its a bonus to get others perspective on things..

Elwood we gotta do it this spring/summer before ya move to ND..

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ Might be better if ya lived in ND????? whistle

Yes will have to wet a bullhead or two this spring and If I lived in NoDak it would be sweet but that is another year and a half away unless she says NO laugh

I have another 45 mallards to be added by mid month.. Gotta get these in burlap..

Got the AcuVac bottom routered out Made a couple templates and poof...

Heres this springs start

IMG_0127-1.jpg

Finally got to a few birds its the "other" thing I do in winter when Im not carving or teaching..

IMG_0116.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is 4 of 15 I have started.. The grey area is apoxie sculpt. I use it to attatch heads,tails,wingtips and strengthen areas..

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Might have to find some help soon...

• 3 weeks later...

Here a few aquavac bottom mallards...

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0137-1.jpg

Struggling this time of year with school,clients and decoys..

Good thing school ends soon and culling out a few taxidermy clients aswell will leave me more time to work on decoys and fishing..

Elwood we gotta hit the water this year..

Elwood we gotta hit the water this year..

thats sounds great mutha lets try for some time in mid June thats good timing for a big one.

we just need the river to settle down a bit then its clicker time.

BTW AWSOME looking decoys

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a while finished with school and got a few mounts out.. Heres what Im working on now.Had a few people ask for small river spreads and wanting to be able to put a full body standing on a log. Still in the rough,hopefully this will work.Gotta make more rollovers in bills and Geye's might have to make a couple king kong buffies rolling over. Lots to do lots to learn yet.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Incorporated with a floating log it should work about anywhere semi calm..

Thinking now of make'n a full body diver,thinking Geye or Bill. Anythoughts on species??

Looking to hunt out of the kayak more this fall so micro spreads are what Im heading twords..

• 1 month later...

Painting snow goose floaters out of magnum mallards and old canadas. That's a bout all I've gotten done this summer so far.

I've been painting some goose decoys as well. When I get done painting I'm going to flock the heads then.

Before

0509112109b.jpg

After

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

And an avery that fell out of a truck and lost a lot of paint on the side.

IMG_0066.jpg

• 1 month later...

IMG_01927.JPG

IMG_01895.JPG

IMG_01886.JPG

Finally got a few done.. Have 70 more to complete. These are double sealed with apoxie sculpt and 2 coats of spar under a coat of paint then double flocked. Tough durable and ready to roll..

muthas I'm in awe those are unbelivable

I NEED DIRECTIONS TO YOUR HOUSE grin

If I had some of those I couldnt set out they other decoys I have or I would have to set the other ones up on the other side of the lake and just use yours

Heres my latest,Think only a couple out will do the job.Going to add hens next year.24"-26" long........

IMG_0102-2.jpg

IMG_0105-4.jpg

The metallic green,blues and purple didnt show up in the photo but they are there.. Might have to have the wife take the photos from now on..

The finishing continues Bull Cans and Bluebills next,then on to the hens..

IMG_0109-1.jpg

IMG_0107-1.jpg

IMG_0106-2.jpg

I may redo the lines hands aint working right time to quit for the day.. sure they will work but its an easy fix..

Only made a few drake bills to go with the few left over from last year..I went high and low with the vermicutaltions on the back,the lighting flooded it out a bit..

IMG_0111-2.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Made rollovers in each species cept cans,wish I would have ""might"" make a couple yet. Lots of birds to mount this fall so we will see..

Any input appreciated....