• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New To Spearing - Ice Tongs - Where to get them

duck2

Where can I find ice tongs and what would I expect to pay for them? They are a tool of yesteryear that most Americans would associate with ye olde time days. As such, would they commonly be found in flea markets, second hand stores, etc?

flea markets, second hand stores, on-line auction sites, spearing shows, there are a couple of people who make new ones too. I haven't tried them but the stand up ice tongs look very nice and they are made new. Do an internet search for STAND-UP ICE TONGS and you will find them.

What size are you looking for? The old ones came in a variety of sizes. The prices vary a lot also depending on the size. I know they are a time and back saver.

Fish,

I dont really know what I am looking for, as I have yet to even saw a hole in the ice ( I also have to buy a saw) . As a yard sale and rummage sale devotee, I am hoping I run across an econmomically priced pair that would at least get me started.

Fish,

I dont really know what I am looking for

Make sure the rivet and pivot point in general is in good shape (not to loose)

For early ice make sure the tips either come together or are very close together in the closed position.

Some tongs do not close all the way, if they don't close far enough you will not be able to use them for early ice, you can use them for late ice when the ones that close all the way won't open up far enough.

And one of the biggest things is make sure the tips are sharp or can be sharpened.

You will be heaving large blocks of ice that weigh 100 to 300 lbs.

For a 2' X 3' hole each inch of ice weighs aprox 31 lbs.

So you don't want the tongs to slip off the ice block when it is half way out.

I did that once and it was not fun when I landed flat on my back on the hard ice.

Luckily I didn't hit my head on the ice. From now on I keep my tongs sharp.

It had to have looked funny as heck though. grin

I got some last year from a spear maker in Plato, MN that also makes ice saws and tongs. Work great. Nice wide opening to grab big blocks of ice. I think the cost was about $50.

Where can I find ice tongs and what would I expect to pay for them?

Try this website - they advertise some ice tongs for around $60. I bought an ice saw and a set of ice tongs about 15 years ago but I can't remember where I bought them. I found this site doing a google search. Looks like they can provide you everything you need for spearing.

Dark House Spearing Equipment

I just looked in my checkbook. Double Diamond Spears. I paid $60 last January. That included shipping. I think they have a website.

I'll try to post a pic of the tongs later.

I have a set as well.

Lovenice, shoot me a email and ill hook you up with them. There from my home town!

If your interested I have a set of cast iron ones I would be willing to part with. They are about 24" long, just let me know how to get in touch with you. I hope I can post this here and not under the For Sale section.

The best ones I've found are actually log tongs. I prefer the 13" ones that were made by the Gifford Wood Co. in Hudson, NY. They have a jaw opening of about 24".

1046_1.JPG

9b81_1.JPG

The handles are nice when you have gloves on, and they don't bend. If you get a set that are loose at the joint, you can heat the rivet and re-peen it to a tight fit.

Both of those above are for sale on America's number one auction site right now. Search for 'Gifford tong'

--Mark

I think northern tool + hydraulic sells "log tongs" that looked like they would work well. I remember seeing them last year online.