• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why is baiting illegal here?

vister

I didn't read any of the other posts because I didn't want to get mad and I don't care what others' opinions are either way. I have my own and they are as ANTI-BAITING as anyone can have.

We have a family friend who lives in Hayward WI. He is a very serious whitetail and big game hunter and he said he's watched baiting turn the deer in his area completely nocturnal. They go from pile to pile at night and no one shoots anything decent.

Oh wait, I guess the people going out and shining illegally are shooting nice deer, and the number of nighttime poacher apprehensions has increased 7-fold.

So yeah, let's bait in MN. Shooting a deer over a pile of corn is not like fooling it with natural attractants and calls. That's like saying calling ducks to decoys is like baiting them...I can't even begin to say how stupid that comparison is.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Musky Buck

• Big Dave2

• Bear55

• cribbageboy

Im not saying I like baiting, I'm saying that there is no difference between a small foodplot and a baitpile. It's the same thing, just a different name.

I don't want to start an argument here, but don't you think its a little selfish of you Fish&Fowl to not only not read the other opinions, but not care what others think, yet still feel bold enough to post your thoughts loud and clear???

Exactly, I put out some bad apples last year in my woods and put my camera over it. Out of 7 years of hunting here I have never seen a decent buck at all. In a couple days I had 2 decent bucks and a whole lot of does.It would be gravy to hunt over bait IMO. Especially when you hunt in a very wooded area with not many food sources around.

WOW! Salt is the cure for disease. Guess we just need to add salt to the corn and everything is fixed?

I don't feel it's selfish because people are either for it or against it, and nothing I read would have made me consider baiting a good idea. If I didn't write that would you have known the difference?

I think it's selfish that people bait illegally. It's one thing to cheat yourself, but to screw up all the people who hunt the honest (not to mention legal) way nearby by throwing out corn and apples is disgusting. I love hearing that the DNR is confisgating guns and not just giving people a slap on the wrist. It is a serious offense and that deserves serious punishment.

WOW! Salt is the cure for disease. Guess we just need to add salt to the corn and everything is fixed?

Look up curing in Wikipedia

Concentrations of salt up to 20% are required to kill most species of unwanted bacteria.

In my opinion if you want to cheat and hunt over food plots or bait, then go ahead. Do you feel like a true hunter if you shoot a nice buck over a pile of corn or a food plot that you planted in the middle of woods, I would hope not. If you are just chasing big bucks to show off to your friends and tell them how great of a hunter your are or looking for a wall hanger, then you are only kidding yourself, your not a hunter, you are far from a true hunter! The record books should have two classess, baited deer versus wild deer! People are always going to bait and they will never forget how EASY it was to shoot that deer, is that really hunting??

Funny how everyone thinks it is so easy to shoot deer over bait. Look at how the sharpshooters struggled with shooting deer over bait at night with spot lights. Deer get smart really quick, that is why they had too start using a helicopter. I am not saying baiting is right or wrong. And like some hav said, standing corn is legal, shell it off the cob in a pile it is illegal. I feel that if people chose to hunt over bait or not so what, there choice. I don't think it makes that big of a differance over time because the deer get smart.

upnorthbsl I have a food plot thats not in the middle of the woods but I get one paths were they are coming to and going from. Find a place near your place thats the same as this you will see some deer. dont think that i'm any less of a hunter because of it I put alot of time and effort into out woods and plots to try and get some success!

Maybe I'm misremembering here but I think the outdoor news recently ran an article on baiting in Mn. and they referenced a scientific study done in Maryland that compared two adjacent areas of the state one where baiting was legal, the other where it wasn't. The results were completely opposite of what you would expect. Hunter success was actually higher in the non baited area. If I remember right, for some reason the deer were conditioned into becoming nocturnal by the baiting activity. If anybody else read this feel free to jump in that's about all I remember.

BTW I'm totally against baiting, I buy into the disease control argument, But am ethically opposed to it as well.

I am extremely opposed as well. I'm just trying to get my point across that food plots and bait piles are the same thing, and therefore they should both be legal or illegal depending on your viewpoints. If the Minnesota DNR wants to keep one legal, and the other not, I think they should really tighten down restrictions on food plots. Because in my mind, I small food plot and a pile of corn are the same thing. Granted people who have food plots do put more time and effort into making them productive than those who throw out 5 gallons of corn. They are however still growing the food plot for the same purpose, attracting deer, and should therefor not be allowed to hunt over it.

hhguide, I see plenty of deer without cheating by using bait! They may not walk up to me as if I had bait, but I do see deer. Again, there will always be cheaters in this world but it's up to you if you want to be known as one.

I dont see how i'm cheating or why you say I am. I'm not going to get in a arguement on here. I dont agree with baiting deer! but I do agree with food plots for the survival of animals in hard winter years. Thats why I put up a food plot. Its 3 acres big in the middle of our Crp field. we hunt the swamps and woods that are probably 600Yards or more from the corn. Who knows I guess we can agree to disagree.

cribbageboy.... food plots are a totally different thing than baiting. why do you think the DNR lets food plots be legal? I mean with all do respect to you and all of us the DNR is a lot smarter then us about this subject, therefor they have a good reason behind why food plots are legal. number 2.... food plots do not attract deer as much as a pile of corn. for example.... one year plant a food plot and see how many deer are on it..... the next year just put out a bucket of corn and watch as deer you have never seen show up to eat the corn. food plots are no different than people hunting over corn fields or bean fields. They are natural attractants when planted.

I can agree with food plots but putting out food feeding bins or piles of corn or even mineral blocks to me is getting too close to baiting. I also think that in order for my ideas to be valid, the food plots should be required to be a certain minimum size.

When baiting, a person does something to bring deer to a particular narrow area. I'm talking square feet here, not acres. A good food plot may attract deer to an area but in order for it not to compete with baiting, it should have a considerable size like a few acres. This way, they provide a good food and vitamin/mineral supply without herding the deer into such close quarters as a mineral block would.

I think you're getting the idea of what I mean.

Bob

The other thing to remember is for the guys that might be trying to manage some acreage for QDM, food plots serve as a great mechanism for holding deer on your property. The intent isn't always to hunt over the food plot but to enhance the entire acreage. That's not the story with a 5 gallon bucket of corn.

I have hunted around food plots and, yes, they have provided me with some advantage, but honestly I consider myself more of a cheater when I sit in a big stand of Oaks around the 1st of October, Now that's just not fair.

Quote:
but honestly I consider myself more of a cheater when I sit in a big stand of Oaks around the 1st of October, Now that's just not fair.

Take that to the extreme and anyone hunting in the forest or anywhere a deer is likely to be found is being unfair, right.

I think hunting a food plot is really not much different than hunting a know naturally growing attraction. But for me, I have to draw the line there.

Bob

Minnesotahunter,

Since you didn't read my analagy before in an earlier post, I will restate it. If I plant a "garden" or small food plot with 4 rows of corn, it is legal to hunt in a stand 5 yards from it. If I cut that corn down and place it in the same spot, and hunt in the same spot, it is called a bait pile, and is therefore illegal to hunt by.

This is why the DNR needs to somehow clarify the regulations on baiting. I ALSO stated in my thread titled "Baiting" that the DNR is a very important and wonderful orginazation that doess far more research than I will ever do. I am not bashing the DNR in any way, and would love to work in the DNR after finishing my college studies in wildlife management, and law enforcement.

I am not trying to find loopholes in the regs, but this one seems pretty big and obvious to me. We either need to do away with all forms of feeding deer during the hunting seasons(which I think is the best answer), or make them all legal.

Let me restate what i said earlier and go a bit deeper into what i said. I put 100 pounds of corn out on the edge of a 40 acre picked cornfield and put a camera over it. Deer are lazy, very lazy. I had pictures of bucks at the cornpile at sunset and in the background here is a deer coming across the open cornfield from the river bottom which is 200 yards away. This deer is bypassing a whole picked cornfield which has remnants laying all over to come to the easy pickings. The next sequence of pictures is of this deer now at the cornpile. He is a huge 8-pointer. This on a farm in which i've hunted 14 years and never taken a "trophy". He was one of 3 trophys that i have daylight pictures of at this corn and 1 of 13 bucks overall that i had pictures of. So don't tell me that 5 rows of standing corn will attract deer just as a 100 lb pile of corn. They will not come to 5 rows of standing corn like they will a pile of corn laying on the ground.

How is standing corn on the stock, harder to eat than laying corn on the stock? I highly doubt that deer are "lazy" enough to find a difference in the way it is placed on or in the ground. I find your experience more coincidence rather than a reliable pattern, maybe I am looking at it wrong, but if I am, I still feel that a food plot and a bait pile are WAY to similar to constitute different regulations on the two.

After reading your post again, I noticed you said picked cornfield. Meaning that it is laying on the ground as well as the baitpile. There IS no difference, and therefore your example IS coincidence. That or you were using the baitpile in conjunction with sents.

So i am probably an unethical hunter since i have been hunting next to a 200 acre "food plot" of corn all season

its coincidence huh? yeah all 13 bucks that i had on camera over and over. it was just coincidence that they passed by all the remnants laying in the field for the easy pickins day after day. 40 acres of picked corn with remnants all over and these deer found their way to the pile of corn every evening and every morning for 3 weeks. Read my post again, i have pictures of bucks at the pile with deer in the background walking over 200 yards across this field to get to the pile of corn. In the next sequence of pictures these deer are also now at the pile. I guess if you want to call that coincidence when it happened every day....lol. You want to know why i put a camera over a pile of corn? Because a very well known deer hunter told me if i wanted to know what deer are in the area to to do just that and in 2 weeks i'd have a picture of every buck in the area. Its not a secret how a pile of corn laying out will attract deer. Deer are lazy, its not a secret. My guess is that you've never hunted over a foodplot or have never put a camera over a pile of corn to see what the difference is. You find my expierience to be coincidence so it doesnt blow your arguement up.

I've witnessed this expierience myself this year where a guy was baiting in a picked cornfield. The deer were lined up to eat the piles of corn.If a guy has to dump piles of corn in a field to shoot a deer, he should maybe go bass fishing instead!

Deer are absolutely that lazy. Its unreal how they will hit a pile of corn sitting along the edge of a picked cornfield and until you see it firsthand you probably won't believe it.

james_walleye is right deer are that lazy. cribb have you ever seen a deer try to take the husk off a corn cobb, they have a heck of time, it can be pretty funny to watch. They will always take the easiest meal first so a bag of corn spread out on the ground is going to attract a lot of deer because its the easy meal. Pretty much all baiters are going to use the most attractive bait possible.

All you folks have to remember is that there are deer shooters and deer hunters. I prefer to be a deer hunter!

Then why is it illegal to hunt over a pile of corn (on the stalk and covered in husk), but when it is standing (on the stalk and covered in husk) it is not?

And James_walleye,

Your right, I have never hunted over a food plot, cornfield, or bait pile. I like to think of myself as an ethical hunter, and feel that hunting over any of the three would make me an unethical hunter IMO. Just my viewpoint. I'm not trying to point fingers and say that you should or shouldn't, Im just saying that the DNR needs to clarify the rules, in a way that places a distinct difference on bait piles and food plots. In my mind corn on the stalk laying down, and corn on the stalk standing up are the same thing, however one is illegal and the other is legal.