• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bait cast reels

I recently bought a new bait cast reel and put some 20# fireline on it. Now the problem I am is the drag isnt working. I was told that when you put fireline or any kinda mono line you have to tie it on the spool a different way. Does anyone know how to do this??

I have been spooling my baitcasters with 20# fireline for about 9 years now.I usually spool the reel up with half a spool of mono 12 to 14# test for a backing so the line won't slip on the spool.Then I use a polamer knot to join the 2 lines and spool the rest with the fireline. It works very well.I'm not sure about the problem you are having with your drag
Tight lines
Basswacker

I was told the reason why the drag wasnt working is the line was slipping on the spool.

I don't mean to sound like an *****, but when you say mono what kinda line are you taking about?? This is learning process for me..

[This message has been edited by mnwild (edited 05-25-2004).]

When I spool my baitcasters with super lines (fireline, power pro, etc.) I usually put enough mono on first to cover the bottom of the spool, tie on my braided line, and spool the rest of the spool. I've had no problems. If you have a spool with holes in it (higher end spools) you can just tie your line right through the hole and skip the mono.

Braided line slips because it doesn't maintain friction with itself or the spool and if you pull the line real hard the knot (and the rest of your spool) will start to slip and will eventually just spin on the spool & let line off - just like if the drag was set ultra low.

Mono is the regular cheap stuff - stren, trilene, generic brand @ gander & galyans, etc... I usually put whatever mono I have in the box at the time. Most recently I've put the Berkley Iron silk mono on and it has worked great.

If you have any questions just go to a gander and they will happily explain it. I've learned a handful of basic things from the guys at bait & tackle shops.

[This message has been edited by BigMike (edited 05-25-2004).]

Hey guys thanks for the info. I thought mono was the regular line. The part about having the holes on the spool, one of my bait cast reels have that so I am not having a problem with that, its the one that doesnt have them. Again, thanks everyone.

mnwild,

Another thing you can do if you have the spool already filled with the braided line, is take off the braid and use some duct tape to secure it to the spool. This way you can reuse and not waste any of the line you have on the reel.

When using Fireline make sure you spool it on with a fair amount of tension so that it lays on the spool tight, if not the line will slip through the underlying layers of line upon catching fish,logs,etc. leaving a big mess to untangle.

Jim

I just boat A baitcaster and put on 30 pound test original braid spider wire on it and it works fine.

I'm glad I read this topic but wish I would have read it sooner. I took my baitcaster (I'm also a first time user) to Gander Mountain and had them spool it with Power Pro. I wonder if they kept any of the old mono on underneath it.

And I now know that I'm going to really have to pay attention when I reel in so that I don't get any loose areas. I hate tangles.

Everybody - you should have at least ten yards of mono backing on your baitcaster below the superline. Otherwise this will happen: you hook a gigantic catfish or sturgeon or muskellunge, and when they take out enough line, the superline begins to spin around the spindle of your spool. They start taking line like mad and you are looking down at your reel wondering how they are doing that with a heavy drag setting. Then you realize the superline is slipping around the spindle. Very fast. "TINK" the line breaks, at the bottom of your spool, and all that expensive superline goes swimming off into the river/lake/slough/swamp you are fishing in.

Trust me, this sucks bigtime. The superlines are great (well, they have MAJOR drawbacks too - and they suck rocks sometimes) but the one thing they cannot do is grip the spindle of a baitcaster. You must have mono on the bottom of your baitcaster as backing, even ten feet will do. If not, you'll be fine until you hook a big fish. Then you will end up like me, watching your line disappear and swearing like mad while the fish of a lifetime swims away.

To all,
I recently left Gander Mtn., but our policy is/was to put at least ten yards of mono on the spool before tying on the superlines. 2 things though caught my attention. One--all superlines are not the same. Fireline is a thermal-fused line (combination of Monofilaments and super line fibers.) kind of like taking the strands of the super line and dipping it in hot wax. Fireline (and spiderwire fusion)are straight lines, meaning all the fibers run in one direction. Power pro, stren super braid, and spiderwire are all braided lines. Built completely different. Pure spectra fibers braided and wrapped together to form the line. Everyone is correct Fireline and fusion will absolutely begin to slip over time. Some of the braids will also. If your spool is wiffled then the best thing to do is tie it through one of the holes. If not, you do need the mono backing.

LOST--Power Pro is a whole different deal. It is absolutely the best braid out there. I have been fishing it for three years now. I have it on three of my baitcasters, and it has never slipped (no mono backing). One is tied to a spool but the other two are straight against the spool. For some reason the Power Pro just doesn't seem to slip (my experience with it). I'm sure there will be some that argue with me over the superiority of Power Pro, but it is good line.

Again thanks for all the info, the last question I have is how do you tie the 2 lines together??

• 1 month later...

Ahh jeez...

I bought a baitcaster this past winter and I was so frustrated because the line kept slipping. I just tossed it in the rod locker and went with my spinning rod and reel. Keep in mind this is the first baitcaster I've had in 18 years when I was 5 years old. Thanks for all the info guys. Now I can dig it out and start using it. You guys rock!

MNWild,
Use a double polymer knot to connect the two lines. I currently work at Joe's Sporting Goods in St.Paul and have spent many hours on the line spooling machines. The double polymer knot is a great knot and is very strong. It's pretty hard to explain to someone how to tie the knot. Check the internet or go to any outdoor sporting goods store, they would be happy to help you.

mnwild -

there is a website out of Austrailia called Fishing Cairns. Just type in the www. and .com around it. They've got some great info. on knots, which ones to use when, and pics on how to tie them. I've learned a couple of new tricks for tying two lines together, among others by using that site.

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

• 3 weeks later...

Every box of these super lines has had the directions for a palomar right in the box. I like Power Pro the best.

What's the thought on tough line? Mono backing or not? I've used it for two years now with no backing and never had a problem but, my brother-in-law put it on his line and had a 40 inch ski running line off his reel like there was no tomorrow. I told him to tighten his drag but he said it was as tight as it went. Maybe it was just his reel, I have no idea. I'm much on playing fish, especially ski's, for an extended period of time so I generally keep the drag pretty tight.

Any thoughts on the Tuff Line?

Whitebearlakeguy

I use 60 lb spider wire on a baitcaster that I use for slop fishing bass and use for muskies aswell. I have caught alot of bass on this without the line slipping (no mono backing). But I use it for muskies aswell. I have yet to hook into a musky with it, but do you think it would need mono backing or does spider wire work well without it?