• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

can someone help

is there any way to get some huge sized night crawlers to come to the surface. i need some help. I was also wondering if there is a way to get them to crawl into or ontop of a bag or tarp. confused.gif anyone please give me any info on this subject that they can.

Are you related to another FM newcomer "Tyman"?

You can get them to come up (providing they're there) by starting your lawn sprinkler and letting it run, creating vibration on the surface (i.e. starting a generator thats sitting on the ground), or as I have seen experimented with, electric shocks into the soil. (this takes some equiptment)

However, the other half of your question would require Circus Crawlers with big red noses and funny hats crawling to funny twangy plucked music.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 05-22-2004).]

wow i never really thought of that.....thank you very very much...the ending gave me a giggle.thanks again

I had an idea...but I can't remember all the details...so I deleted it.

[This message has been edited by Mongro02 (edited 05-22-2004).]

The lawn watering works either by sprinkler or just turn the hose on and flood part of your lawn for 10-20 minutes. It's not the vibration that brings them to the surface though, it's the fact that their holes get flooded and they have to breath, so they have to surface. If you really flood it well they come all of the way out of the hole and you can just pick them up. Otherwise they leave their tail in the hole and you have to be fast grabbing them.

P.S. This MUST be done at night or it won't work. You can also go out on a very rainy day and often find them in the yard. Nightime is always the best.

This sounds crazy, but it works.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would take a leaf spring (we just happened to have one lying around off the old Mopar) and shove one end in the ground about a foot. Then we would take a green limb off of a tree and rub it back and forth on the end sticking out of the ground. The vibration would drive the crawlers nuts. They'd come to the surface and you could easily grab 'em.

Try it, you'll be amazed!

It seems I read somewhere that it IS the vibartion that brings them to the surface.

The reason is the vibration indicates rain to them, and they come to surface BEFORE the holes flood to avoid drowning.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I read on this site that if you put a sheet(like on a bed) on your grass and drench it that the worms would crawl on it... the rest of that message was just a load of bull****.

Hey,

I don't have a very big worm box(only 1x2) and I really like it because its styrophom. I was wondering if someone could post some plans for me for a wood box (tell if its ok to get treated wood or a certain type of wood) or where is a good place to get a big styrophom box. (i only have 50 worms but im extending)

P.S. what is a good type of bedding.

Hey Wormy, that electric shock thing works really good, but it will work on YOU also if you are not carefull! If you grab a worm in between those posts, while the power is on, you are going to get zapped and to what degree of severity, depends on how well you are grounded and how big you are! Be safe, take a flashlight out after dark, on a day when we have had a good rain, put a red lens in the light if you can get one and shine em up! It will help your hand eye coordination, among other things.

Hey,

can you give me the exact plans to build one of the electic shock things.

............that would really help...........
thanks

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and mix in some dish soap. It's best to have the mixture less sudsy. Pour it on the ground and they will come out in seconds. It works during the middle of the day!

Used to do this in the spring to get crawlers for sucker fishing.

Cheers!

WORMY and FISHKID....Have your dads help you!

I probably shouldn't say this but. You take two metal rods and an extention cord. Put one wire to one rod and the other to the other rod. Poke them into the ground a foot or so apart or more. Plug the other end of the cord in. Stay clear and be safe. Wait till the crawlers come out of the ground and unplug it. Then just go an scoop them up. If you are doing this near a metal or chain link fence do not touch it either. You will not like it. But it does work great.

The ancient art of worm fiddlin'. Drive a stake into the ground about a foot, then rub a patio block across the top of the stake. Keep doing it until you get a good rhythm going. Have a buddy pluck a banjo and collect the worms when they come shootin' up. Or just water the lawn and go out after dark and grab 'em. Be sure not to break 'em off in their hole, you gotta pull on um just as slow as can be, eventually them buggers will weaken up on ya and then you get the whole durned worm!

iron mike does it matter wut kinda of extension cord. and isnt extension cords coverd in rubber so the ecletricity cant get threw to the rods i dont understand really

I understand clearly,,,,,,

This is just plain silly. Go to a store and buy some darn worms, and save yourself the hassle.

You might want to get some life insurance before you go soaking your yard and electrifying the area.

This may work but seems awfully dangerous!

I think I'll stick to the bait shop myself.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

iron mike & rough fisher, You two make a great team....no really, you're totally hilarious....too funny !

Lakeman