• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Will gas prices fall after Memorial Day??

I'm guessing they will. We don't own a boat yet, but hopefully soon. I cannot even imagine what it costs to fill a vehicle, and boat lately! I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no economic reason for gas prices to be this high! It's all greed driven.! And it really sucks! What do ya'll think? If there was a poll option on this board, it would be interesting to see how many fisherman think that prices will drop after one of the most busy, traveling weekends of the year.

I would guess it will go down and up again as it always does. It's still cheaper than milk :+) If the gas price were adjusted for inflation and prices increased like they do on everything else and you go back in history, i think technically we would be paying over $4 a gallon so it is still a bargain. Dont get me wrong, I dont like the price either when filling the vehicles but when put into perspective, it could be much worse. In my opinion, the high prices are due partly to all of the special blends of fuel that are required for various parts of the country. If refineries could just pump out big batches of one fuel we would be much better off. Instead part of their capacities have to be didicated to other blends. I also attribute it to lack of refineries. With so many people hugging trees (i prefer to hug something softer like my wife), what do you think the chance of getting approval for new refineries is?? My guess, SLIM TO NONE.

It always drops after the Attorney General launches an investigation...

So, yea, give it another couple weeks, then fill the boat tank. I filled everything before it went up and with my 4 Stroke, it should last to hopefully a drop...

I bet it won't be till much closer to the election, or at leaste after some prominant people (that are up for re-election) start to get in the news and try to make it look like they are helping us out.

------------------
Were gonna need a bigger boat!

I wish gas price would fall it is WAY to expensive to fill my truck, boat and ATV all at the same time which I had to do this weekend I spent 75 bucks just for gas that Highway robbery if you ask me.

Big Fish Hunter247

My truck has a 34 gallon tank. Last week when I filled up, I spent more on gas than I did back in the sixties for my first car. Of course, back then I was making the noble sum of a buck an hour.

I gotta agree with Moby1 and maybe throw in that for some reason apparently China is buying up more crude that it has historicaly.
Oh and don't ya hate gas stations that only let ya put 50 bucks on your card! How ya supposed to fill that boat and truck on that! even with out the prices they have now.

Hey Yeti....you own a big Chevy truck...get off some of that cash you have stashed in your socks, secret compartments in your wallet, under the mattress, in coffee cans buried in the back yard etc. and fill er up!

My trucks and other gear cost me about $100.00 a week, without any fishing trips.

Gettin so we will have to stay with the quality, instead of the quanity...instead of 20 trips a summer, have to make it 10!

You and I have yet to make it 1 (One)! Big Sandy and Aitken?

I think the gas prices are here to stay. I know how the blends can help or hurt your gas mileage. I went to Alabama a couple yrs ago on the way my mileage jumped 5 mpg.
Lock your gas tanks, the kids are sucking in out for their hot rods. If the prices do go down, it may only drop to $1.75 per Gallon. I do guide work these prices really hurt.

[This message has been edited by jigginjim (edited 05-23-2004).]

I drove by Shell gas station in Coon Rapids today. Can you believe $2.169 per gallon? Just a couple miles up the road on 7th and Hwy 10 as well as further up 7th in Anoka it was $1.969 per gallon.

All I have to say is that I'm glad I only have a 10 gallon tank and can go nearly a week on that amount of gas.

That's the other thing that makes no sense! The variation in prices at gas stations. As close as 2 blocks apart! Sorry to vent, but it's so frustrating!! Greedy oil companies abusing the consumer.

I'm starting to miss my first car. 1990 Honda civic 45-50 mpg vs. 13. At least the River and Tonka will have less big boats tooling around at these prices.

Here's a shocker:

Price last Weds at a station in Inver Grove: 1.99

Price Friday: 2.16

Price Monday: 2.06.

The energy markets aren't open over the weekend so there shouldn't have been much change in cost. I wonder why they would do this to us?
(because they can!)

I work for a towboat company and buy 6 or 7 hundred thousand gallons of diesel for our boats monthly. This kind of jump never happens at the big boat pumps...ever. I think the relative (and I do mean relative) stability of diesel prices for towboats from day to day may carry into the market for the diesel sold for trucks; even though it is a different grade. Do you diesel truck owners find that to be true, or do your prices jump on weekends as well?

The only reason I can see which would cause prices to drop this summer would be if members of OPEC were to start squabbling about production numbers as they did a couple years ago. Back then they couldn't agree on cutting back on the number of gallons of crude to pump and we reaped the benefits till they got together and cut back. That still wouldn't stop your local station from raising their price 15 cents for the weekend, but at least they'd be starting from a lower number.

Of course, I have no idea what kind of effect politics would have on any of this.

My advice: fill up on Wednesday for this coming weekend. With the holiday coming they'll be goin' up again.

Nick

I also heard on the news to fill up in the morning when it is cooler because the gas is more dense or something like that. You get more gas for your buck then. I am not sure how it goes, but it made sense when she explained it.
Also I always try to put gas in on Mon. or Tues. By Thurs. morning the price is back up. Gas in Montrose this morning was 1.96. I have not had to pay 2.00 yet. I think I will have to by next week.

Slab

The news today said the Saudi's are going to start pumping more, so eventually the price will drop. Have you ever noticed that when the oil price at the well-head increases, the pump prices increase the same day. HOWEVER, when the well-head price drops, oil companies say they can't lower the pump price until that oil hits hits the station, in two to three months. Someone is making a killing on the oil in transit every time the price changes.

There has to be a criminal name for what the gas providers are doing to the consumer?
In what other industry, besides maybe the insurance industry, can they get away with the kind of gouge that the petro companies do? It's right there, right in front of everyones eyes, large rises and small drops, all within a few days? The gas that you bought on Monday at $2.06 came out of the same storage tank as the gas you bought on Friday at $1.99! They don't get deliveries everyday, of different priced gas! I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems to me that this stuff does'nt seem to be burning as good, I seem to be getting worse milage in all my vehicles?
To me, this gas thing seems criminal!

I just did business with 6 stations today and was speaking with the owners. Expect the price to slowly drop after the 4th of July. It will level off at @ $1.50 after that.

I was working with them while they got the call to raise Diesel 8 cents and unleded another 6 cents tomorrow morning.

We should be thankful that we aren't in Europe. I've heard that out there, due to all the taxes, their gas prices are $3.00 per gallon and higher.

Here's something to think about:
You Think A Gallon Of Gas Is Expensive?

Makes one think, and puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ..........$10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19.........$ 9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 .................$10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 .........$10 .00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ............ $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ............$178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ...........$123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ..........$25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ....................$84.48 per gallon

and this is the REAL KICKER......
Evian water 9 oz for $1.49 ........ $21.19 per gallon.

$21.19 FOR WATER! ....and the buyers don't even know the source.

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, or Heaven forbid, PEPTO BISMOL or NYQUIL!!!!

Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...........!

Keep Smiling

Laughter is the best medicine, so Laugh til it hurts.

Yeah but does Pepto Bismol raise their prices when the state fair is in town?

Maybe if cars ran on Pepto, and Big Anti-diarheal ran the fuel industry instead of Big Oil, they could build new Pepto refineries, create new jobs, produce their product in greater volumes, and lower their prices. Then the environmental crowd would get involved, though, because we all know what kind of pollutants are released into the atmosphere when Pepto is consumed! :-)

I guess wnat I'm saying is these comparisons don't make me feel much better. Apples and oranges, as they say.

Gas prices in Europe are higher because, if you can imagine this, they tax more - about 75% of the total price. They do that to discourage the use of evil gas guzzling SUVs and other big vehicles. Ever see a French guy in his Yugo towing his Crestliner down to the lake?

Here are some other gas prices I looked up:
VIETNAM $1.29 UZBEKISTAN $1.01
KUWAIT $0.69
EGYPT $0.55
VENEZUELA $0.14

These really aren't fair comparisons either since many of these countries pump their own crude.

That said, I am willing to concede that the price of Evian is a little...wierd.

Nick

SuddenlySummer, how come it is always during a long week-end, or a holiday period, that the prices go up, if all this price increase stuff is on the level? Is the fact that on hearsay, it is going to go back down to $1.55 suppose to make us feel better? Ask your associate how that works!
Each time there is a big increase, once the price drops back down, it is always higher then what it was before.

Or...I could be wrong!

Same station in Inver Grove this morning: 1.97 per gallon.

Now you know why the boss put me in charge of fuel purchasing. I obviously know my stuff!

Here's a Shocker, tongue in cheek, They announced that crude has dropped and consequently so will the price of gas. On average we will pay at least .20 cents more per gallon this Weekend than we did a month ago. Wonder what excuse will be used to gouge us over the 4th of July weekend? or Labor Day ?
P.S. The filling Station across the Street from me is $1.98 a gallon today .25 cents higher than a couple of weeks ago.

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 05-28-2004).]