• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A few questions for all the coyote hunters out there.

ice fishin man

First, I never have hunted coyote's before and its seems like something I would like to try! So I was reading the rule book today, and from what I understand was that the season in open all year round? Is this true? Second what would be the best gun to have for shooting coyote's? And could I get away with a shotgun for now? {not trying to sell any pelts} Third what would be the best time to go out and scout/hunt for coyote? Also is there anyone who hunts the south metro and is population in the south metro areas?

Thanks,Ice Fishin Man

No closed season on coyote but there is on fox which you are as least as likely to see. As far as best guns I have four dedicated predator guns from .17HMR bolt, 223/12ga.over under,AR 223 and a 22.250 bolt it just depends on when/where/how I plan on hunting as which to bring. The 17 is a bit light for coyotes great for fox while the 250 is a little hard on fox,I'd say a 223 is a good all around caliber for predators. A fur buyer would rather have a pelt harvested with a shotgun than rifle so pelt damage with a shotgun is not an issue. I use #4 Buck and don't care to get into any debates about which load is best it works well enough for me. I've taken at least as many predators here in Minnesota anyway, with a shotgun as rifle but hunt most often at night with a full moon/snow. It's of course much easier to scout under snow conditions but never to early to be gathering permission in likely looking areas. It's going to take quite awhile for things to settle down out there now after the blaze orange invasion so now wouldn't be an ideal time to hunt. I hunt way north of the cities but have gathered there are plenty of critters down that way but likely a fair amount of pressure too since this type of hunting has grown sooooo much lately.

Your welcome.

No closed season, if your new to the sport I would just pull out the old deer rifle,(if you have one) and hunt with that till you decide if you like the sport or not. Late november, into december can very though calling, due to deer hunters, gut piles, ect. Get a call, and giver heck! Don't get fustrated!!! Coyotes can do that to a guy

I would think that a DEER rifle would be a poor choice at this time of year. After hunting hours during deer season could be hard to explain.

I would think that a DEER rifle would be a poor choice at this time of year. After hunting hours during deer season could be hard to explain.

yep, my post was ment for after deer hunting!

Heck my understanding is you can hunt deer with what were formerly considered varmint/predator calibers 22.250s' etc. Irregardless not a real good time to be out!

I hunt mostly at night with a shotgun. #2's or BB's. If if works to kill a turkey at distance, chances are it will kill a 'yote.

I was under the impression that if you were hunting after sundown it was shotgun only. Am I wrong? Also, are the rifle zone/shotgun zone boundries no longer in effect after deer season?

If using artificial lights I believe you have to use a shotgun, not sure never tried it.

Shotgun only if hunting with a light. Rifle/shotgun boundary is not in place.

If you want to use your deer rifle, check out "predator loads" for the different calibers. Many of the big brands make lighter slugs for shooting the bigger calibers.

I have a 30-30 leveraction, but my dad has a nice .257 that I've thought about borrowing for yote hunting. I've never done it, but I'm thinking about it. I'm in the SW corner of the metro.

Powerstroke is correct, at night with a hand held light it has to be a shotgun, you can use the full moon and snow at night with a rifle (I have yet to try that one) as far as a dedicated rifle, 22-250, 223, 243 are all good choices. even the 204 has been written about a lot in other places. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Like was mentioned, get a couple of calls (closed reed for beginning out) and go after them. Kind of like turkey hunting and deer hunting combined. They have great eyesight and even better noses. Frurstrating? and then some.

You can't be out hunting during deer seaon at night, and if you are out coyote hunting during the deer seasons (firearm season that is) I believe you can only use a rimfire cartridge (which is not good) I have to get the regs out of my truck if that doesn't answer you questions. I hunt SE MN, due to family being able to help with kids, etc. I am hoping to get out more this winter in the metro area. Getting out and knocking on doors is the best start. I just acquired an extra 30 acres on sunday after talking with the neighbor to my wife's uncles 40 acres. I didn't even ask, just introduced myself and talked with the husband and wife for a while. They offered......I am pretty sure I will kerplunk a coyote or two on that ridge in two weeks

Anyone have any luck sitting over a deer carcass during shooting light? I'd like to take one with the bow to be tanned.

I talked to a CO a year ago about the light and shotgun law. In the law you must also be using a electronic caller...not a mouth call. I know it does not make any sense but that is how it is written. Good Luck!

What could possibly be the mentality behind that law? Unless the state thinks we are all going to rush out and buy new electronics and once again get their hand in our wallets! Ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe its so if someone is out at night and is using sometime of mouth call to howl so some idiot doesnt sneak up on the guy howling and shoot him without identifing their target 100%.. just my thought but who knows..

Page 32 of the regs:

A person hunting for coyote or fox from Jan. 1 to March 15 may

use an artificial handheld light under the following conditions:

• While on foot and not within a public right of way

• Using a shotgun

• Using a calling device

• Not within 200 feet of vehicle

I'm not sure if all of these things must be met in order to use a light, or if you caan use one if any of them apply.

I am wondering why anyone would want to use a light anyway - any ideas on that?

I think all of them must be met; I am not sure why the calling device - I think this stops people from walking around the woods trying to stalk hunt.

shotguns for yotes? it I was going to sell the fur. I would think the pelt would have a bunch of small holes all over.

Shotguns are great on coyote pelts, 99.9% there is not fur damage and no need to get the needle and thread out. I perfer shotgun coyotes!!

I think all of them must be met; I am not sure why the calling device - I think this stops people from walking around the woods trying to stalk hunt.

How would they prove you were using a calling device?

What's with the light? I still can't see it being used in a hunt. Getting in or out maybe. But otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me for yotes.

I was involved in getting these light laws passed and maybe can shed some "light" (no pun intended) on them.

Page 32 of the regs:

A person hunting for coyote or fox from Jan. 1 to March 15 may

use an artificial handheld light under the following conditions:

(This sentence was to keep potential bow hunting deer poachers (who could still register a deer up to Dec 31st) from shining a deer while supposedly coyote hunting. They have to keep us honest...)

• While on foot and not within a public right of way

(So we are not shooting from a vehicle using the vehicle lights.)

• Using a shotgun

(Purely a safety consideration forced on us by the legislature. But we don't brag about being able to use high powered rifles at night while hunting under the full moon (without lights) and we sure don't want to lose that "liberty" do we? So please use good judgement while doing this type of hunting!)

• Using a calling device

(Vague enough language that allows any type of caller, whether electronic or mouth call. Owls can be dangerous at night while using a mouth call. Be careful of your head!)

• Not within 200 feet of vehicle

(Again, to keep potential deer poaching and shooting from a vehicle from happening. It also gets you away from the road.)

Lights are another effective tool for predator hunting, especially when the full moon periods come with clouds.

Fairly short season,too bad that with just like anything else a few idiots would likely ruin it for everyone else. Would have extended the hunting beyond good snow cover.

I thought it odd you would have to be using an electronic call as opposed to a mouth call but you never know!

I have a question, hope thats alright. I think I am going to give coyote hunting a try this year. Can I use my deer rifle (30-06) just to start? If so, is there a round in that caliber that would be better than the next? I'm thinkin lighter the better?

The 30/06 will more than likely rip the pelt up on yotes and fox on anything less than a few hundred yards, unless the entry and exit wounds are within the area without any bones, or a headshot is possible.

When I started hunting I also used a 30/06 (my only gun) and found the best load for me as far as accuracy and vital shots was the 150 grain bullet.

Don't use the 55 gr accelerator! It explodes the fox on impact and makes a maximum hole on coyotes, difficult to tell what they are or were when you go to pick them up. I am not sure but using the /06 with the largest FMJ they make might not be too bad of an idea either. With a bigger bullet the shock likely will do the internal damage needed.

• Using a shotgun

(Purely a safety consideration forced on us by the legislature. But we don't brag about being able to use high powered rifles at night while hunting under the full moon (without lights) and we sure don't want to lose that "liberty" do we? So please use good judgement while doing this type of hunting!)

I would think using a Large caliber rifle at night, in unfamiliar territory would not be a good idea. Why are we not allowed to Rifle hunt deer STATEWIDE?

DO THE RIGHT THING PLEASE.

Well actually you might be amazed at how well such things as yard lights,headlights etc. show up at night which are usually a good indicator of human inhabitants.

Deer hunting is a sport done during day-light hours, why are we not allowed to use a large caliber rifle to hunt state-wide? I believe it is a safety issue. A more dense population combined with a lack of trees and hills to stop the projectile. Shooting a coyote with a large caliber rifle will not stop the bullet at the target. The bullet will pass through.

Target shooting is a different story, you stage the shot and can be sure that your back-stop is going to stop your bullet.

So if all I have is a 30-06 rifle to hunt with would someone think that it is all right to use that rifle to hunt squirrels?

Deer hunting is a sport done during day-light hours, why are we not allowed to use a large caliber rifle to hunt state-wide? I believe it is a safety issue. A more dense population combined with a lack of trees and hills to stop the projectile. Shooting a coyote with a large caliber rifle will not stop the bullet at the target. The bullet will pass through.

Target shooting is a different story, you stage the shot and can be sure that your back-stop is going to stop your bullet.

So if all I have is a 30-06 rifle to hunt with would someone think that it is all right to use that rifle to hunt squirrels?

Are you asking why you can't use rifles for deer hunting in certain areas but you can for coyotes? If so, I guess the only reason I can think of is because there's so many people out during deer season that the amount of lead flying would be crazy if rifles were used. On the other hand, not many people are out coyote hunting.

No matter where you are, you still have to be responsible for yourself and where you're shooting.

I've never hunted where I have to use a shotgun so I can't say what it's like.

If so, I guess the only reason I can think of is because there's so many people out during deer season that the amount of lead flying would be crazy if rifles were used. On the other hand, not many people are out coyote hunting.

I do not see where that pail holds water. Just because someone has not put it on black and white that you should not do something, it is alright to do? I do not believe that the number of participants in an activity is the sole reason to judge whether it is safe to do or not.

Coyote hunting is just starting to grow into a new sport extending the time someone can be out hunting. How soon we forget that last winter one hunter was fatally wounded by a fellow hunter. If so few people hunt coyotes, why did this happen? As I recall a large caliber rifle was involved.

The main point I would like to get across here is that if someone wants to experience coyote hunting, go out and hunt with responsible hunters using the right equipment for the region they are in. Do not take short cuts and use overpowered firearms which are not recommended for use in those regions for any type of hunting. Hunting and shooting targets are TWO different sports. Target shooting is a controlled sport (fixed target and known back-stop). Hunting has many variables standing or moving targets and possible unknown back-stops.

Our legislators may overreact if we give them a reason. And they could turn a possible fun sport into another over-restrictive how do I legally do sport.

I think the fatality you are referring to happened when where guys pushing a section for coyotes to posters just like a deer drive which carries the potential of being dangerous.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most predator hunters are using ballistic tip type ammo which often will not exit the animal or disintegrate upon impacting the ground/branches etc.