• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnow Trapping

I would like to trap some minnows and was wondering where would be good places to try in the east/south east metro area. Also, any tips would be great! Thanks

If you want fatheads, go to the park ponds in Woodbury. Until the end of june I can get as many as I need. I use bread but there are other things that you can try.
Good Luck

gundy89
where is the park pond located in woodbury?
i can sure use some fathead for the weekends.

Thanks for the info! One other question, do you just put it below the waterline in the shallows? Thanks

We used to trap our own minnows years ago at our cabin in Brainerd. You always had a mixed bag of minnows and didn't know what kind they were. We found over the years that we did much better on "store bought" minnows. A fathead is a fathead. But as far as the mixed bag of minnows, splurge and buy from the bait shop. Also, I though I had heard they either outlawed or ammended the minnow trapping laws. I may be wrong, but you may want to check it out. Good luck

The white bear ave side of Goose Lake in White Bear Lake has only bullheads and minnows. I used to trap it with my buddy and get a full trap every day. just set the trap without any bait right off shore 10 ft laying on the bottom(3ft deep)
All of these were larger crappie minnows or fatheads.
nobody bothered the traps either because nobody fishes it.
The bait stores used to trap this lake but I haven't seen the traps in the last few years.

How exactly do you trap them? What kind of trap is it? I saw some black mesh buckets at Gander I guess you could call them...do they work?

I have a store bought trap that has funnelled openings on both sides. I stick some bread in it and toss it out. Not to scientific, but it works for me.

If you get a buddy try a sein. It is almost as much fun as fishing. Even if you buy minnows, its fun just to see what you get. Be careful not to transport exotics. I store a sein in the boat just in case.

GotOne