• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye fishing on Minnetonka

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Autumnhunt

• wmn luv me walleye fearme

• buzzsaw

• Mr Special

Report for 6/23, 6:30 - 10:00. Tried for a few bass early up in the shallows. Since I was having trouble controlling the boat in the wind I moved to the drop off and started jigging. There I picked up a crappie and a few bass and northerns. Between 9 and 10 I got three nice walleyes, a 16, 21 and 24. It was still extremely hard to control the boat in the wind, and I had a difficult time keeping my bait near the bottom. It also seemed like the fish weren't very active, probably due to the cold front. I marked quite a few, but the three bites I got were when I turned the boat and allowed my jig to lay on the bottom for a few seconds. I can't wait to get out there again Saturday morning, and hopefully in calmer conditions!

Fished Wayzata Bay last night on the north side with only small fish to report. Sunnies and one small smallmouth. I think that even if the walleye were around the sunfish would beat them to my leech. The sunfish were everywhere. Fished the weed edge to about 30 ft. I agree with the post above. The cold front had made fish less active.

I have a new theory for this lake. Spring time the walleyes move into the bays and spawn hang out for a few weeks then they all move back to the main lake where the spend the majority of the summer. Come fall they move back to the bays and channels again. My reason for this is because I only catch walleyes in Wayzata bay during the cold water periods. Most of the reports I have heard are from the main lake.

That theory may not be that far off. Fished the west end of the lake, back bay area in 8-15 ft of water. Caught 4 in 30 minutes. All were on a Gulp mightcrawler. Go figure....

Reefdawg,
Your theory sounds good, but I am wondering if you are implying that the cold water period is over for this spring? The spot I have been fishing is a shallower saddle at the opening to a deeper bay. I caught dozens of walleyes on this spot last fall, and have found them there again this spring/summer. So it could be that fish are still in their cold water mode, but then you should still be picking up fish in the bays. One thing is for sure, its nearly impossible to reliably theororize about fish.

On a different note, give minnows a try. When I tried leeches a couple weeks ago all I caught were bass, northerns, and dozens of sunfish. Once I switched to a jig and fathead, the sunfish were replaced by crappies, the number of bass I have been catching went down only to be replaced by consistent walleye action. Of course I still get northerns, they eat anything!

schr0563
You have a good point. I definately need to change my presentation. I have been using leeches lately because they have worked great until the sunnies ruled the weeds. I have also been using a lindy rig which I thought would work better on finicky fish. Not the case. I find that jigging is still the best.
I will continue to seek out those spot on spot places.

Fatheads, small shinner and suckers will work better as teh water warms is what I've notice. They keep the sunnies off and i think hooking into a big pike or muskie is just a bonus. Try deep midlake humps and flats during day and shallower at night. I know it sounds like generic info but it does work.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Mr Special (edited 06-24-2004).]

I can't catch a Walleye out of this lake so I'm retiring at the young age of 36..... goodbye, so long, arrivederci. Ok, I'm done pouting!

Buzz, Meet me at Gray's bay access at 6:45 and we'll get a couple in the boat for ya....maybe..

I can feel it, tonights the night!
But, only if your done pouting grin.gif J/K

Make it your goal, like the little train that could! "I going to get a tonka walter", "I going to get a tonka walter")

Rip some lips,

AH

I wish I could meet you out their tonight, however I am meeting a couple other FM'ers out at Orchard Lake in Lakeville.

Mike

Buzz,

You need to re-think this...

Walleye fishing is not a gimme. And part of the allure of walleye fishing (for me, anyway) is figuring out the big picture for each body of water. It's a puzzle to solve, and each time you hit the lake is another piece of the puzzle that figures into the big picture. What hasn't worked for you? Do something different until you find something that does. Tonka is a big body of water, and the dynamics at work are numerous. Those who catch alot of eyes on Tonka have put in their time, I guarantee it. Your time on the water will pay off eventually. If you want to get out sometime, let me know. Heck, I don't know Tonka very well, but it is a fun lake to solve.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 06-24-2004).]

Buzz is going to show me where the big 'ski's hide on Orchard tonite. wink.gif Kidding.

I think I will be in pursuit of Mr. Crappie tonite. (Maybe) We will see what the evening brings. Not sure of what kind of mood I am in yet.

I definately want to get out to Minnetonka sometime soon. Never been on the lake.

[This message has been edited by Beef46 (edited 06-24-2004).]

If any of you guys want to meet out there at some point let me know. Either on the same boat or different boats (could cover some ground and report back) I'll be out there tonight about 6-9 or so once again with my dog. (After I get home for work I dont have the heart to put him back in the kennell so along he comes) Will be around bracketts point to start anyway and fish diamond reef if the wind dies down. Also have any of you guys fished out side of carsons bay? I use the launch there and according to the map there's a good bar running across the main lake by there , comes up to about 20 feet but i havent had any luck there
good luck to ya

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

If you get over that way wmn luv me walleye fearme, fish it! I've pulled some quality skis on that very bar and surrounding points. Suicks work well in that general area. I'll be over there quite a bit come August/Sept. Not much for eyes though...

Autumnhunt or Wmn luv me walleye. Was out last night, found some Crappies and bass, but I have a ski boat and its hard to fish out of. Was woundering if any of you would like to take a FM'er out fishing? I can meet you at grays ? [email protected]

Hey 18 crappie I have a deep walleye boat and I am looking to learn a few spots on tonka I could meet you out tonight if you want to go? Ski's or eyes?

hey 18 inch crappie, i'm leaving work and dont have a computer at home so emailing ya wouldnt really help. If you get the urge to go I will be going out of grays (I live between grays and carson bay but I figure with the temp Grays should not be to crowded tonight) will be there at 5:45-6 launching a lund explorer from a toyota 4runner (50 horse merc) will have a dog with me so kinda tough to miss, if you want to go just meet me there
later

Tonka Boy,

Me and my brother Mitch want to try for some muskies on saturday, and were thinking of an area that won't get pounded by rec boaters; how about North Arm and Maxwell? Shallows next to deep water...What do you think? Any suggestions?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Calvinist,

With the cool weather forecasted for the weekend, I doubt the lake will be too busy. The North Arm never gets all that bad, but if nice, expect Maxwell to be a zoo.

I'd love to give you some pointers, but have been laid up with a wounded right mit. I haven't even tossed any wood yet this year!! I can only recommed sticking with large spinner baits along the deep weed edge.

BTW, I came across a black duffle bag a week ago. Could it be yours? It was left in my boat after our walleye outing. Good luck!

------------------
Tonka Boy

I don't recall owning a black duffel bag, but then again my memory could be failing me...Anything in it that would give me a clue?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Jig & minnow in the deep mid lake humps sound like a great plan. I think I may even go back to the bottom bouncer thing or three way to keep that baby deep..!

Maybe we need to get out a little more, say 30-40 ft water?? Hmmmm.

I give it a try tonight and post tomorrow.

AH

Cavinist.... Your exactly right! I was telling Jmusky and Beef 46 at the Orchard lake landing last night that the key is switching things up and not being lazy.... which I can be sometimes!
Autumnhunt: I'd like to meet you and Calvinist out there sometime and try for the elusive 'eye. I try to get out there on the weekends so well just have to communicate.
P.S. I got an 11 1/2 inch crappie last night and a small 'Ski on another lake.... did I mention I'm heading over to Byerly's to pick up some Walleye tonite?

Mike

Buzz,

Nice crappie! I'm booked up this weekend, but next friday I'll be pulling an all nighter with the full moon and all. I,ll post and see if you are still interested in going out sometime.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

went out with 18 inch crappie yesterday. Got outfished in my own boat. No luck with the eyes but found a lot of good size crappie. Kept about 15, of which about 5 I caught the rest 18 inch crappie caught. fished around bracketts, thinking I need to try a couple new spots for eyes though.

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

Thanks to wmn luv me walleye fearme, Nothing like fresh fish for dinner. As usual got buzzed by some big boats, whole lake and they have to come with in 50 yards of us. Next time I will show you where the walleyes are smile.gif anyway here is a PIC of a smilley we caught 16.5 inches . They always look bigger in the boat then a picture.
47b4d804b3127cceb0a26ea7365a0000001610

Wmn luv me walleye fearme,
Was that you out there by Tangers bridge and Bracketts??? If so, I seen a red boat with a large light colored dog inside. I didn't see your post until just now as I left work right after I posted last. We'll if it was you I wish I would of known. I would like to put a face with some of these usernames!

We caught one 18" walleye, one about 10" a large mouth Bass and a sunnie. Large glow jig and a leech seemed to do the job for me last night just off the drop in 25 ft of water. I didn't get out on the water until 8:00 and left around 10:45 as I had to wait for a couple friends to get to my house!
(Needless to say I was getting a little unpatient waiting for them - valuable fishing time wasted!) But anyway's, I was the one in the blue Crestliner Sport/Fish with three guy's. I was wondering if that was you out there but didn't want to yell "Hey, are you Wmn lv me..." and have the wrong guy. I was the one with the sun glasses and the blue coat up front of the boat.

Hey, maybe next time we'll meet up. I think I am going out Sunday night or Monday after my fishing trip out west this weekend.

I hope you had a great time and the best of luck to all,

AH